Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Unusual/Unique Things/Practices you have seen this Ramadaan...  (Read 1532 times)
UBAB
Bro

Reps: 37

2 [agree] or not 2 [disagree]-that is the question

« on: Aug 31, 2009 11:19 PM »

As-salam-mu-alaikum,

I just wanted to share some unusual things I have seen at local masjids, and wanted to share some of them with you. If you have any more, please do share them...

thobebro
   UBAB

1.) More people pray Taraweeh than Isha salaah (Sunnah/Nafl vs Fard)

2.) Went to a masjid that had a V.I.P. section in the banquet hall for the friends/family of the sponsors for that Iftar with reserved table signs and bank line style ropes and their own dedicated servers

3.) One masjid had BYOI system ...Bring Your Own Iftar

4.) A local university reports that every one of their campus iftaar's has already been sponsored/catered! The average iftaar hits 300 peeps!

5.) Sikh guys at the free Iftaars (the only guys at with the bangles..)

6.) A mosque that has an 3500 sq ft+ overflow area for women praying Taraweeh (in addition to their normal space)!

7.) Number of young people and adults (<40 years) who require chairs to perform prayers

8.) Gangsters praying Taraweeh, and praying them properly (including their super long pants rolled up to above the ankles)

9.) A city putting in a traffic light by a mosque just in time for Ramadan

10.) Random people at work giving you Eid Mubarak

11.) Coworkers trying to entice you with food and planning lunch meetings on purpose...little they did know that we would take the food, put in the fridge, take it home and then have it for iftaar - hah!

Your heart will not truly open until you understand Surah 21 : Verse 92  (Al-Anbiya: The Prophets)

Help Build the Community! Visit:
Madinat al-Muslimeen > The City > Naseeha Corner > Community Toolbox

jannah
Administrator

Reps: 2775

I heart the Madina

« Reply #1 on: Sep 01, 2009 05:35 AM »

Haha those were funny.

I'll try and think of some unusual things. Mostly it's been the usual but quiet especially now that schools/colleges have started.

BrKhalid
Bro

Reps: 273

« Reply #2 on: Sep 01, 2009 05:37 AM »

Asalaamu Alaikum  bro

1.) More people pray Taraweeh than Isha salaah (Sunnah/Nafl vs Fard)

Very true, if only people realised the true value of Isha in congregation *especially* during the month of Ramadhan

11.) Coworkers trying to entice you with food and planning lunch meetings on purpose...little they did know that we would take the food, put in the fridge, take it home and then have it for iftaar - hah!

Gosh, that is a tad mean!!

Most co workers are usually very understanding during the month so they obviously realise you can take all this ribbing Br UBAB  bro

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]

UBAB
Bro

« Reply #3 on: Sep 01, 2009 03:08 PM »

Gosh, that is a tad mean!!

Most co workers are usually very understanding during the month so they obviously realise you can take all this ribbing Br UBAB  bro

Not to worry... if we could get the through high school with all the guys ordering the best food and eating it front of your face - this is nothing. They were joking around, but I to make sure that I wasn't going to be excluded from any activities due to Ramadaan. Actually, I enjoy them more, since your not busy eating at these lunch meetings, you can get your point across, while everyone else's mouth is full Smiley

In fact, this is the second year in a row they are having the company BBQ during Ramadaan, so we have to get our meal (vege burger) and eat it later...

Anyways if you guys have any cool / unique or unusally practices you've seen around your area, please post it...

thobebro
   UBAB

Your heart will not truly open until you understand Surah 21 : Verse 92  (Al-Anbiya: The Prophets)

blackrose
Sis

Reps: 31

« Reply #4 on: Sep 08, 2009 05:59 PM »

salaam

Interesting..you have definately been around..

UBAB
Bro

« Reply #5 on: Sep 09, 2009 08:19 AM »

Part 2 - A few more unique and unusual things and practices seen this Ramadaan (We have a tradition called "Mosque-hopping"...where we try and pray taraweeh at a different mosque every night... not that hard when there is over 100 masjids/musaala in the area...)

12.) A masjid has hired a blonde non-muslim lady parking attendant in her mid 20s to direct traffic for Taraweeh prayers in a city west of here ...rumour/rumor has it that the masjid attendance has never been higher Smiley

13.)  A man in the first row accidently said either subhanallah or Allah-u-akbar (potentially after a biryani burp:) ) during the middle of the 18th rakat of taraweeh....the Imam immediately stood up - assuming he made the mistake by sitting down - the confused Jamaat stood up with him - resulting in them praying a 3 rakat unit of prayer (17th -18th and-19th rakat) - Upon completion the Imam was informed of the mistake. Due to the confusion, he asked the Jamaat how many rakaat of prayer were completed - 1/2 the jamaat said 18 rakaats and the other 1/2 said 20 rakaats!!! A breakaway groups says that they needed to redo the previous prayer... finally the imam gets up and solves the problem by starting Witr Salaat Immediately - putting an end to the fitna that was starting...

14.) A masjid's wireless mic died between the 5th and 6th rakat while they were standing... the Imam continued to pray and completed the prayers...with the men in the prayer hall...but the women downstairs did not know what was going on...it was not a good situation as they were left standing...(lesson to be learn, replace batteries every night!)

15.) Some masjids follow the 8 rakat prayer religiousily...however, some get fooled by the numbers...The average time it takes to complete the average rakat in these masjid is 12.5-15 minutes - thus requiring 100 - 120 minutes to complete the 8 rakats  vs the average 38-40 minutes in the West Indian / Guyanese runned Masjids... (that's right - we got it timed)...It was killing me to stand that long... until I remember that we will be standing in line for something similar to 50 000 years on the "last day" waiting for our judgement to be read to us...

16.) Before people used to follow the Imam using the Mushaf, now people are following the Imam using Blackberries and iPhones... it looks like their surfing the net or checking emailing while their praying... what happens if they get a text /sms message while they are reading the quran on their phones? Does answering it or even pressing the ignore button invalidate your prayer?

17.) Many resturants have adjusted their schedules for Ramadaan, closing for lunch completely (even though they are losing the lucrative lunchtime crowd)... some open 1/2 before sunset time, others up to 3 hours before... for takeout only.

18.) Theres a  lot less Burping Biryani Brothers (BBB) this year versus other years (this usually leads to other brothers breaking line formation to avoid the toxic cloud, passing out, or loosing concentration on what rakat they are praying, or simply asking the BBB to perform his wudu again, as no burp could be that bad!)

19.) The question of Biyan - or sermon during Taraweeh time.... some masjids have it before they start their prayers, some now started after 4 rakats so that the brothers can't skip it, and one masjid has their 20-30 minute biyaan after 6 rakaats... so those 8 rakat people have to stay in order to complete their prayer! (talk about being held hostage!!)

20.) Some of the larger masjids have sponsored Iftaar's everyday!! If your family wants to sponsor an Iftaar during the weekend in these aircraft carrier size masjids, the sponsorship starts at $4000 - $5000 for one iftaar and dinner! I wonder if there is a better use of the money in our community ....soo much money being used for an event that is over in less than 90 minutes ( I know they can feed up to 2000 people at Iftaar, but is it the right target audience? )... wait a minute, how much does a wedding cost...and how long does the Walima last ....hmm...jokes Smiley

21.) Helped my sister drop off huge amounts of food at a Muslim Women Shelter ... hidden in the east end, even with directions, I drove past it 5 times in about 3 minutes (despite the fact my family calls me the human GPS and I now answer the phone, saying "Lost already, where do you need to go?" instead of AA Smiley )  , until I was doing a u-turn and saw my sister's car in a driveway...we went in to the public area of the building...which is surprising as most shelters we go to don't even allow men go get close to the door ... anyways, the building is extremely run-down, falling apart and old...yet you can see how many advanced DV cameras are setup from all directions...some Ramadaans are not special for families around us...see the reaction of some of these kids when they get clothes for Ramadaan...they don't even care about toys  :'(

thobebro
   UBAB

um aboodi
Sis

Reps: 268

« Reply #6 on: Sep 09, 2009 10:48 AM »

salam

jazak Allah khairan br. UBAB for this lighthearted thread.

The other day, my husband saw a man arriving to the fajr prayer driving a harley davidson!  He felt sorry for the neighbours of the masjid. 

Halima
Sis

Reps: 397

« Reply #7 on: Sep 11, 2009 07:15 AM »

Among the ladies at our Masjid waiting for Sadaqa, was a Christian in full Jilbab with Niqaab.  She recognized my friend - Hussein - that first day I took food to the Masjid.  She talked to him and as we were leaving the Masjid to go back home, he told me about it.  I was lost for words - looking at Hussein increduously. He realized I was shocked and had difficulty believing him at the same time. He then said he was fasting and there was no need for him to lie or make up such a story.  I asked him why she would go to that length?  He responded that because of what she can get dressed as a Muslim - food, money, etc.  I told him that she could still get that from Muslims without having to resort to such a trick because Muslims give to the needy regardless of religious affiliation!   

The Almighty Allah says,

"When a servant thinks of Me, I am near.
When he invokes Me, I am with him.
If he reflects on Me in secret, I reply in secret,
And if he acknowledges Me in an assembly,
I acknowledge him in a far superior assembly."

- Prophet Muhammad (SAW), as reptd by Abu Huraira

BrKhalid
Bro

Reps: 273

« Reply #8 on: Sep 13, 2009 06:55 AM »

Asalaamu Alaikum  bro

I never realised the BBB brigade wreaked such havoc. Maybe we should include something about this on Sr jannah's Muslim Etiquette list?  bro

Some of the larger masjids have sponsored Iftaar's everyday!! If your family wants to sponsor an Iftaar during the weekend in these aircraft carrier size masjids, the sponsorship starts at $4000 - $5000 for one iftaar and dinner! I wonder if there is a better use of the money in our community ....soo much money being used for an event that is over in less than 90 minutes ( I know they can feed up to 2000 people at Iftaar, but is it the right target audience? )...

When you read some of the diaries and what people get by with on iftars, it really does put this into perspective.

On the other hand though, these iftars I'm sure add to the sense of community in the locality so to not have them would be a shame.

Can a right balance be found?

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: