// Using "desi"?
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: Those whose eyes never see beyond the world of phenomena are like those who mistake servants of the lowest rank for the king. -The Alchemy of Happiness, Imam Al-Ghazali
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Using "desi"?  (Read 1405 times)
Anonymous
Bro

Reputation Power: 22
Anonymous barely matters :(Anonymous barely matters :(

ANONYMOUS Post

« on: Sep 01, 2009 10:08 AM »

Salaam to all. May Allah bless you with His Light in this Ramadan.

I was reading the Ramadan diaries entries, and came upon this word "desi" over and over again. I don't know what the real meaning of the word is, but it sounds derogatory to my ears. Am I wrong? Or is this label acceptable to all?

I really appreciate all the sisters who have shared their experiences during or even outside of Ramadan, and in sister shahida's case, my sympathies for her situation and to the other women too.

Muslim women today are still among the most discriminated against, whether by their own Muslim brethrens or non-Muslims, so when I read sister shahida's experience, I feel extremely sad... for her, for her situation, and especially to all those women who are so led astray by their own community. It's sad when someone has to lie to their own family or Muslim community about going to do prayers. What have we come to?

So, I think we shouldn't start pointing fingers at anyone and say such prejudicial things like "how typical of them", "desi", etc... it hurts me, even though you're not saying anything about me directly, and it's sad to be hurt by fellow Muslims who have no idea what it's like to be trapped into such a situation.

Peace to all.

This post submitted using the ANONYMOUS button on the main Madina menu. Please reply here publicly so that the original poster can read any replies.
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #1 on: Sep 01, 2009 10:20 AM »

salam

Desi means from back home, I think it pretty much encompasses india/pakistan/bangladeshi people.

Not derogatory, simply a way of ascertaining the different cultural background and therefore practices within a religion filled with followers from hugely diverse backgrounds.

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 278
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #2 on: Sep 01, 2009 10:36 AM »

wsalam,

yes desi= people from the sub-continent it has no prejudicial meaning anywhere that i know of

(in england paki has some kind of prejudicial meaning in the US it just means short for Pakistani  Cheesy)

desi just means desi i think

but it's true that Muslims from certain parts of the world have different cultural practices. one of those things in the sub-continent is that women do not go to mosques. ever. and unfortunately this has been imported to desi-run mosques in western countries. i don't think this is prejudicial towards them. it's fact. i'm sure other groups of people have other idiosyncrasies.
saleem
Bro

Reputation Power: 27
saleem barely matters :(saleem barely matters :(

« Reply #3 on: Sep 01, 2009 03:12 PM »

I suspect "Desi" -> "Des" -> Nation (al) -> "from my nation" (?)
It might be construed as derogatory if one takes it to mean "Natives" in the sense that Colonial officials used it to differentiate themselves from the colonized population.

)just to add to the number of posts I have on the forum  Wink  Embarrassed
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 278
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #4 on: Sep 01, 2009 08:22 PM »

Desi   Indians = Refers to native Indians, non-derogatory even humorous, "des" means "country" and "desi" means fellow countrymen

Wog Indians =   British Imperialists commonly referred to Indians as a "WOG" since they were commonly used as security, it stood for "Warden on Guard".

From Racial Slur Database: http://www.rsdb.org/search?q=indian
Shahida
Sis

Reputation Power: 47
Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)

Hasbi Allah wa ni3mal wakeel!

« Reply #5 on: Sep 02, 2009 08:32 AM »

Salam alaikum

No offense was intended at all...!

If you've been around the madina for a while, you'd know how the term desi is used, i.e referring to anyone from the subcontinent.  Desis call themselves desis...and btw it is a term many of us learned here! Wink

it is just easier than writing indian/pakistani/bangladeshi/etc/etc...

dont feel bad, just wondering why you posted anonymously?  We wouldnt have linched you or anything for asking! Wink
salam
s.
Anonymous
Bro

Reputation Power: 22
Anonymous barely matters :(Anonymous barely matters :(

ANONYMOUS Post

« Reply #6 on: Sep 02, 2009 08:37 PM »

Salaams again everyone.

Thanks for explaining the term. And the other terms introduced! I've learnt a lot.

Please pardon me, sister shahida. I'm juz very self-conscious, and I didn't want to offend anyone.

And yes, actually, I've never been around any "desi" community... but I've stumbled upon the word on occasions. Maybe I should go out and hang around the mosque more often Smiley

Salaams.

This post submitted using the ANONYMOUS button on the main Madina menu. Please reply here publicly so that the original poster can read any replies.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: