Madinat al-Muslimeen Community
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Apr 20, 2014 01:49 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: A rakah a rakah! My kingdom for a rakah!'

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sleep I need sleep  (Read 4431 times)
Sr.Kathy
Sis

Reputation Power: 18
Sr.Kathy has no influence :(

« on: Sep 15, 2009 08:30 PM »

As salaamu alaykum

I need sleep!

I am only sleeping for 3 hours every night... and my body won't even let me take a nap.

Last night I was up for 26 hours!  Shocked Shocked Shocked
 Wink(Insha Allah it was Lailat-ul-Qadr)

What is going on with my body?Huh? Any suggestions?Huh?

I have done everything form no caffeine, milk, reading, counting sheep, counting backwards, dhikr, over the counter pm stuff...

Am i stressed?... nothing more than the usual life stuff and masjid auntie stuff.

Any ideas? i have heard that it is a sign of menopause...

"Allah surely knows the warmth of every teardrop... " Jaihoon
Blessedgrandma
Sis

Reputation Power: 6
Blessedgrandma has no influence :(

« Reply #1 on: Sep 15, 2009 10:35 PM »

(food for thought, not asking you to answer)
Are you stressing over anything happening or coming up?
Sometimes even the 'usual' stuff can come to a head.

I'm doing the going into menapause thing and all I can do is sleep.
Stress makes me sleep.

There are teas, herbal teas that help with sleeplessness.
If you have a health food store near you, ask what teas they have to
help with sleep. Also before using them research and make sure you
aren't taking meds or have conditions that would prevent you from taking
certain herbs. There is a herb I know people swear by, I hate the name, but hear really
good things about it... skullcap.

Ok heres what you do. Draw a very warm bath, put some Lavender buds or other calming herbs in your bath.
If you don't like little things flaoting in your bath or the clean up the next am
you can actuall put some lavender in a sock, tie a knot and put it in your bath to soak
like a herbal bath tea bag  Wink
Make a cup of herbal tea,
Light some candles, turn off the lights and sit in a relaxing herbal bath while sipping tea
and watching the candles flicker, let me tell you sister, if this won't put you into a majorly
relaxing sleep, nothing will  Grin
I also put my towel in the dryer to get it hot and rap it in another to keep it warm for when I'm ready to dry off.
You can even ask your hubby to put it in the dryer and bring it to you when you're ready to get out so it's toasty warm.

If this continues you may want to talk to your doctor about taking an rx for a couple days to help you sleep.
Oh and I always take a quick shower before getting in a bath cause who wants to sit in dirty water. Cheesy
a_desert_rose
Sis

Reputation Power: 0
a_desert_rose has no influence :(

« Reply #2 on: Sep 15, 2009 10:54 PM »

Assalamualikum,

Lavender always helps. Mix a few drops of pure lavender oil with another base oil (e.g. coconut, almond) and massage into your temples. Or add a few drops to your bath water like sis Blessedgrandma  said.

Hope you get your sleep soon!

Wassalam
UmmWafi
Sis

Reputation Power: 12
UmmWafi has no influence :(

« Reply #3 on: Sep 16, 2009 03:44 AM »

Salam SrKathy

I am an insomniac..but thats because of some complicated reason....anyways.

Have you tried massage ? Things got quite bad for me so I went for a elaxing massage and that night I slept like  alog. And inshallah once the pattern is established it can help sometimes. Also, do they sell Za'faran water there ? Usually I would take a small glassful and make niyyah that Allah will give me rest. Usually it works Alhamdulillah.

I know I am not being helpful but....well, I will make du'ah for you Smiley

Wassalam
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #4 on: Sep 16, 2009 04:21 AM »

salam

Valerian root is supposed to be very good for insomnia, however it does give very vivid dreams.

And I have no idea what the contra indications are if you are taking any other medication, do as Sr. Blessed grandma suggests and go to your nearest health food store and ask.

Actually having consider it, I've got to say, I personally cannot sleep when I'm really exhausted (it's bizarre I know), when I'm really utterly exhausted, I have been known to lie in bed in tears wishing for sleep as I ache from exhaustion but I just cannot fall asleep!
Are you really tiring yourself out before sleeping? Maybe try to unwind before hand and try to relax before going to bed, warm candle lit baths and massages should help as suggested.

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
Sr.Kathy
Sis

« Reply #5 on: Sep 16, 2009 11:51 AM »

lol.. hanks for the suggestions... baths...warm water... lavender... all great suggestions- except When i get into our tub- little room is left for water! unfortunately i can't have candles in my home because of my birds.
Alhumdullillah i am on no medications so that can't be it.
Fozia- you might have a point. i am soooo exhausted... hmm... winding down time does not exist. We get home from taraweeh prayers at 11:30.
Actually because health food stores here do not have to have FDA approval- i am too scared to try anything.

Is there for any duas or recitations?

Christine_1208
Sis

Reputation Power: 1
Christine_1208 has no influence :(

« Reply #6 on: Sep 16, 2009 02:12 PM »

Assalam alaikom sis.

I had horrible sleeping issues when I got divorced and sometimes I still have spurts of no sleep. Some things that always work for me.

a cup of Camomile tea with honey (sleepytime by celestial seasonings  -- www.celestialseasonings.com/products/detail.../sleepytime )

I play a CD of Qu'ran

also if I take a walk or some form or exercise (mild) mid-day it helps me rest in the evening.

KY warming massage oil, I rub it into my neck and sore areas it helps you relax.

and breathing exercises to help u rest. ( Breathing exercises become essential as you get older because age does cut back the oxygen concentration in your lungs. When you only take shallow breaths, as you do in ordinary respiring, you'll at last notice stiffness in your rib cage as the muscles surrounding the diaphragm begin to lose their pliability. This causes stale air to synthesize in your lungs that's composed mostly of carbon dioxide.

Rapid shallow breathing also leads to heart disease after a period of years or unnecessary feelings of lassitude. Breathing exercises to clean the stale air in your lungs should be practiced on an everyday basis. You don't need to put aside a substantial period of time for this - 5 to ten mins is acceptable. You can perform these exerciseswhen you wake in the morning or simply before you go to sleep at night.

Actually, if you engage in these exercises when you trot off to bed, they will help your muscles relax making it a lot less complicated for you to fall asleep and get a good night's rest. If you need to, place some small pillows under your neck and knees so you spine is straight. As you breathe naturally, be aware of the increase and fall of your chest and stomach.

Lay your hands on your belly, slightly below your rib cage where your diaphragm is found. Take in a enormous deep breath until you're feeling your lungs reaching down to this point. A useful tip to let you know when the lungs extend to this point is to set your hands so the tips of your middle fingers are a touch touching each other.

As you're taking a big breath and your lungs expand, your fingers will begin to move apart. In true respiring exercises let the muscles of your stomach relax and feel it filling with air. When you feel as if your belly is full, let the air expand your chest and lungs.

You may do humming respiring exercises in which you are making a humming sound as you exhale slowly. By focussing on your breathing and humming each time you exhale, you will experience a sense of relaxation in all bits of your body. Chinese respiring exercises involve taking short breaths.

For the first inhalation, lift your arms out from your sides so that they stand out in front of you at shoulder height. On the third inhalation, open your arms out to your sides, still keeping them at the same height. When you're taking in the third inhalation, lift your arms up over your head.

You mustn't take more than twelve breaths in this exercise because it can lead you to feel lightheaded. One caution about this form of respiring exercise is that you need to only engage in this exercise when you're in a sitting position. It could lead you to hyperventilate if you are standing or lying down.)

DU'AS:
from the Fortress of the Muslim book

Invocation for when you find something becoming difficult-
O Allah, there is no ease other than what You make easy. If You please You eas sorrow.
Allaahumma laa sahla illa maa ja'altah sahlan was Anta taj;alul-hazna ithaa shi'ta sahlan.

Invocation if you stir in the night
There is none worthy of worship but Allah the One, the Victorious, Lord of the heavens and the earth and all that is between them, the All-mighty, the All Forgiving.
Laa Ilaaha illallaahul-WaahidulQahhaaru, Rabbus-samaawatti wal'ardhi wa maa baynahumal-'Azeezul-Ghaffaaru.

Hope this helps. May Allah grant you peace and many sweet dreams. Ameen

I believe in Islam like the sun rising, not because I see it but because by it, I see everything else.
Blessedgrandma
Sis

Reputation Power: 6
Blessedgrandma has no influence :(

« Reply #7 on: Sep 17, 2009 01:20 AM »

Sister Kathy, for your FYI  Wink

#
The Herb Skullcap - Side Effects and Benefits
Information on The Herb Skullcap. Potential Side Effects and Health Benefits of Skullcap ... Skullcap is available in powder or liquid extract form and as a ...
www.herbal-supplement-resource.com/skullcap-herb.html - Cached
#
Skullcap
Description of skullcap, its habitat, medicinal uses, and other useful tips. ... Skullcap is an herb that grows uncultivated in the marshy lands of Canada as ...
www.herbs2000.com/herbs/herbs_skullcap.htm - Cached
Sr.Kathy
Sis

« Reply #8 on: Sep 17, 2009 01:08 PM »

Wow... this is some crazy stuff. Reminds me of the early 70's... Psychedelic baby!
While it does list insomnia as one of it's cures here is a list of other areas:
    * Skullcap was used by some Native American tribes as an emmenagogue to bring young girls into womanhood.
Oh dear God... Not all over again!
    * It was also traditionally used to bring on visions (in large doses) during spiritual ceremonies.
Visions?Huh? Jinn??? - No thanks...
    * It was once used as a treatment for and schizophrenia (hence the names maddog skullcap, maddog weed, and mad weed.)
I want to keep some of my alters....
    * This plant is also a nervine with sedative qualities and is helpful in the treatment of many nervous conditions such as .....delirium tremens. It has also been found useful in treating symptoms of withdrawal from barbiturates and tranquilizers.
I like being delirious... Oh such sweet madness....
    * Medicinal infusions of this herb have been used to promote menstruation.
No....no...no... I am done!

Then there is all the positive stuff...and stuff i can't make fun of.
     *This herb can also be used to induce sleep naturally without the negative effects of many prescription and over-the-counter sleep aids.   
    * This plant is sometimes used to treat the symptoms associated with anorexia nervosa, fibromyalgia and even mild Tourette’s syndrome.
    * Skullcap is also used as a herbal treatment for asthma and as a hiccup and hangover remedy.

se7en
Sis

Reputation Power: 11
se7en has no influence :(

« Reply #9 on: Oct 21, 2009 06:40 PM »

as salaamu alaykum wa rahmatullah,

Being a mom of a 13 month old, I haven't had much sleep since... August 15th last year.  Two days before he was born... ahh I can't even really seem to remember what eight hours of sleep feels like Tongue  

Sis Kathy maybe in some type of reverse psychology with your body, instead of trying to make yourself fall asleep, you can enjoy your time awake and make the most of it!

I remember complaining about my sleep deprivation to someone and they suggested that I be thankful for it instead - it's an opportunity for me to be awake at a time when everyone else is asleep and be in dhikr and remembrance of Allah, and also spend some time with my little one before he grows up so fast.  It was a very enlightening suggestion subhanAllah Smiley

Maybe we can have like 'midnight madness' posts on the board or something hehe Smiley
rahma
Sis

Reputation Power: 73
rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)

« Reply #10 on: Oct 22, 2009 02:31 PM »

Assalaamu Alaykum.

Sorry sisters...I missed this post.  It's over a month old....

My husband found something that is wonderful.  I think he found it at WalMart:  Melatonin (3 mg.).  It's in with the dietary supplements.
Take one tablet, and after 15 minutes make sure you have a bed under you! faint

The only problem is that the second night you take it, it just makes you  kinda drowsy.  The third night you take it, it doesn't do much at all.  If you do take it, skip several nights before you take it again or your body gets used to it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: