// Lanterns of Light: “I am the Most Independent of Shirk”
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: Riches without faith are the greatest poverty. - Ali ibn Abi Talib (May Allah be pleased with him)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lanterns of Light: “I am the Most Independent of Shirk”  (Read 1348 times)
Abdurahman
Bro

Reputation Power: 4
Abdurahman has no influence :(

Oh Allah, Guide us to the Straight Path.

« on: Sep 01, 2009 05:07 PM »

Bismillah

August 27, 2009
Chapter 3

Mishkaat al-Anwaar, Lanterns of Light
“I am the Most Independent of Shirk”
Shaykh Muhammad Hassan

Asalamualaikum wrt wb,

Oh Allah Most High, all praise be to You, You are the Light of the heavens and the earth and whatever lies within them, and praise be to You, for You cause all things in the heavens and the earth to exist, and You are the King of the Universe and whatever is in it, and You are Truth, and the meeting with you is Truth, and Paradise is Truth, and Hellfire is Truth, and the Prophets are Truth, and Prophet Muhammad is Truth.
Oh Allah Most High, I have submitted to You, I believe in You, and I trust in You, and I seek Your guidance, and I seek Your rulings, please forgive me for what has gone by in my life, and what I will do in the future, for You send things forth, and hold them back, and there is no God save You.

I bear witness that there is no God but Allah Most High, Who is Known by all perfect qualities and characteristics, Who is beyond all examples, the Living that does not die, and the Cause of all events.  The actions of the Day reach Him before the Night, and the actions of the night reach Him before the Day, and He does not sleep.

His veil is Light, and if it were lifted the face of the onlooker would be set ablaze (by its Glory).  His words are truth and just, and His essence is beyond comparison.  His mercy encompasses all of creation, with His beauty and bounty, and to Him is all praise and dominion, and to His is praise and majesty.

Allah Most High did not create the heavens and the earth and what is between them in falsehood, nor did He leave mankind in chaos (wandering about without purpose).   But rather, He created them to worship Him, and affirm His Oneness, and He showed them His signs in order that they might know Him, and love Him.  Those who accept the truth, He pleases them, and as for those who turn away, He calls out to them.

Allah Most High says:
قُلْ يَا عِبَادِيَ الَّذِينَ أَسْرَفُوا عَلَى أَنْفُسِهِمْ لَا تَقْنَطُوا مِنْ رَحْمَةِ اللَّهِ إِنَّ اللَّهَ يَغْفِرُ الذُّنُوبَ جَمِيعًا إِنَّهُ هُوَ الْغَفُورُ الرَّحِيمُ [الزمر/53]
53. Say: "O 'Ibâdî (My slaves) who have transgressed against themselves (by committing evil deeds and sins)! Despair not of the Mercy of Allâh, verily Allâh forgives all sins. Truly, He is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.”

And I bear witness that Muhammad is Allah Most High’s slave and Messenger, a bearer of glad tidings and a warner, the Shining Bright Lantern (of guidance), the one who raised hardships from the people, and the one whom Allah Most High sent with guidance before the Hour with good news and a warning.  He sealed the line of Prophethood with him, and taught the ignorant, and guided the lost, and opened blind eyes, and deaf ears, and sealed hearts, and left us on a clear manifest guidance, its night like its day, and none deviates from it save finds himself in perdition.
Oh Allah Most High, as we have believed him and we haven’t seen him, let us drink from his beloved hands on the Day of Judgment.  And send peace be upon Prophet Muhammad, his family, and companions, and those who follow in his footsteps until the Day of Judgment.

Welcome to you all, honored brothers and sisters, you have done well, you pure and noble people, and your efforts have been blessed, and you have earned a place for yourselves in Paradise.  I ask Allah Most High who joined us during this blessed hour, in His obedience, to join us in the Afterlife with the best of Messengers, and the Imam of the Prophets, in the Gardens of Paradise.

My beloved, “Mishkaat al Anwaar”, or “Lanterns of Light”:  a series in Faith and Hope, about Ahadith Qudsi, narrations that the best of creation our beloved Prophet pbuh relates on the authority of Allah Most High, to renew our Iman, and purify our character, and take our hearts into the Shade of His Majestic Throne, and to raise our aspirations and hopes, and fill our spirits with the light of taqwa, and place within our being the greatness of the Majestic, and cure the sickness of heedlessness by smelling the musk of divine guidance, in the hope that we may attain proximity with Allah Most High, and what is more joyous than a life with Allah Most High, and the taste of Divine intimacy, for one who experiences is not like one who only hears, and no one knows the pain of a thorn save one who touches is it.

Oh my Lord, my Owner, my Master, the Kings have shut their doors, but Your Door is open to every supplicant, beggar, and sinner, it is open to those who have shortcomings, my Lord, my Master, the celestial bodies have gone, and the eyes of closed (in sleep) yet you are the Ever Living, the Eternal, who never sleeps.

Oh Allah Most High, others have gone to bed, to be with their beloved, but we have come to you, we are here with our hearts raising our hands in the air calling on You, we place our foreheads on the ground in humble submission to You, rubbing our noses in the dirt, we are the people of Your worship, of Your love, and yes, we are people of sin, oh Allah Most High, we have committed mistakes, but we do not despair of Your Mercy, but we flee to You.  We need you.  What has deluded the others from Your Countenance? 

But You do not need us, yet if I seek Your forgiveness, You forgive, and if I make mistakes, You accept me, and if I turn away, You call me, and if I come towards you, You come close to me, and if I love You, You make me your Wali, Your close friend, and if I do good You reward me, and if I am sincere, You have intimate speech with me, oh Allah Most High, You are the most Merciful, and turn so forgive me.

Oh the One whom the fearful flee too, and the One Whom those who trust place their trust in, and those who ask You, You give them, my Lord, My Master, My Owner:

I cried out to You, while I wore a robe of poverty,
I said You are my hope, Who removes all difficulty,
I complained to You all things that You know better than me,
Raising my hands towards You, shaking humbly,
So please do not let them return to me empty,
For boundless indeed is Your bounty and Your generosity.

Come tonight to a new hadith Qudsi, through a reliable chain, by the beloved Prophet pbuh on Allah Most High.  Imam Muslim narrates that the Prophet pbuh said, that Allah Most High said:
)قَالَ اللَّهُ تَبَارَكَ وَتَعَالَى أَنَا أَغْنَى الشُّرَكَاءِ عَنْ الشِّرْكِ مَنْ عَمِلَ عَمَلًا أَشْرَكَ فِيهِ مَعِي غَيْرِي تَرَكْتُهُ وَشِرْكَهُ(
وفي رواية لابن ماجه: (فَأَنَا مِنْهُ بَرِيءٌ وَهُوَ لِلَّذِي أَشْرَكَ)
“I am the Most Independent of those whom they ascribe as partners to Me, and whoever does an action associating partners with Me, I leave aside him and his shirk.”  And in a narration by Ibn Majah, “I am free from him and he is for his false god.”

This is the shimmer of light today from the Lanterns of Prophet Light.  Lend me your hearts and ears and eyes, my beloved, so that we make take from Allah Most High’s Light.

Reflect with me, on Allah Most High’s words, “I am most independent of Shirk.”

And in language, Shirk is derived from the word Shiraaka, which means to took a person as a business partner.  This is called Shirka in Arabic.  And Allah Most High says, in the words of Musa, “Wa ashrikhu fee amri.”  “And make (Haroon) my partner in (calling to Allah).”

And we don’t know any Prophet who had a more beneficial brother as Harun was to Musa.

So a Mushrik is anyone who places a partner with Allah Most High in Creating or in Worship.  This is the linguistic understanding of the word Shirk.
Allah Most High does not accept any act, from speech, action, or states, except what is done purely for Him.  And one who makes a partner with Him, Allah Most High will reject his actions, for Allah Most High is not in need of a partner.

Know my brother, my honored sister, that Shirk is of two types, Major Shirk, and Minor Shirk.

Major Shirk is ascribing a partner to Allah Most High, as Allah Most High says about the people of the Fire:
قَالُوا وَهُمْ فِيهَا يَخْتَصِمُونَ (96) تَاللَّهِ إِنْ كُنَّا لَفِي ضَلَالٍ مُبِينٍ (97) إِذْ نُسَوِّيكُمْ بِرَبِّ الْعَالَمِينَ (98) وَمَا أَضَلَّنَا إِلَّا الْمُجْرِمُونَ (99) فَمَا لَنَا مِنْ شَافِعِينَ (100) وَلَا صَدِيقٍ حَمِيمٍ (101) فَلَوْ أَنَّ لَنَا كَرَّةً فَنَكُونَ مِنَ الْمُؤْمِنِينَ [الشعراء/96-210]
96. They will say while contending therein (in the Fire)
97. By Allâh, we were truly in a manifest error,
98. When We held you (false gods) as equals (in worship) with the Lord of the 'Alamîn (mankind, jinns and all that exists);
99. And none has brought us into error except the Mujrimûn [Iblîs (Satan) and those of human beings who commit crimes, murderers, polytheists, oppressors, etc.].
100. Now we have no intercessors
101. Nor a close friend (to help us).
102. (Alas!) If we only had a chance to return (to the world), we shall truly be among the believers!

What intellect would give a partner to Allah Most High?  For sure they cannot harm us or benefit us. 

Major Shirk is taking a partner with Allah Most High, or in place of Allah Most High.  A person can worship Allah Most High, but at the same time, worship another with Him.  For this reason, in the Saheehain, that the Prophet pbuh was asked, “What is the greatest sin?”

The Prophet pbuh said, “To make partners with Allah Most High, while He (alone) is the One Who Created you.”

This hadith is from the most critical and important hadith Qudsi.  May Allah Most High save us from Major Shirk in speech or actions.

And Imam Ahmed narrates that  Allah Most High commanded Yahya (John the Baptist) to tell the Bani Israel to make Tawheed of Allah Most High.  He said, “The example of he who makes Shirk with Allah Most High is like a person who hired a worker, and said to him: here is my wealth, my materials, and my house, so please work on it and I will pay you your salary.  Then this hired worker went and worked on someone else’s house!”

How can you make Tawakkul, or dua, or sacrifice, or prayer, to other than Allah Most High, and He is the One who provides your Rizq, and He created you?

Reflect with me, on the words of the poet, “Beware of Shirk, whether it is through a stone or a person, by making dua to him.”  Having hope, or fear, or love, in anything other than Allah Most High, is Shirk, unless it is fear of love or hope that is following in your hope and love and fear of Allah Most High, like we love the Prophet.  All the love that we have in this world is secondary and a subset of our love for Allah Most High.

Allah Most High says:
إِنَّ اللَّهَ لَا يَغْفِرُ أَنْ يُشْرَكَ بِهِ وَيَغْفِرُ مَا دُونَ ذَلِكَ لِمَنْ يَشَاءُ وَمَنْ يُشْرِكْ بِاللَّهِ فَقَدِ افْتَرَى إِثْمًا عَظِيمًا [النساء/48]
48. Verily, Allâh forgives not that partners should be set up with him in worship, but He forgives except that (anything else) to whom He pleases, and whoever sets up partners with Allâh in worship, he has indeed invented a tremendous sin.

Allah Most High says,
وَلَقَدْ أُوحِيَ إِلَيْكَ وَإِلَى الَّذِينَ مِنْ قَبْلِكَ لَئِنْ أَشْرَكْتَ لَيَحْبَطَنَّ عَمَلُكَ وَلَتَكُونَنَّ مِنَ الْخَاسِرِينَ  [الزمر/65]
65. And indeed it has been revealed to you (O Muhammad SAW), as it was to those (Allâh's Messengers) before you: "If you join others in worship with Allâh, (then) surely (all) your deeds will be in vain, and you will certainly be among the losers."

My beloved, oh Ummah of Tawheed, have you seen the danger and the warning in these verses?

And in the Saheehain it is narrated that when Allah Most High revealed the verses, “Aladheena amana wa lam yalbasuu imaanahum bi dhulm….”  “Those who believe and do not cover their faith with wrongdoing.”  many of the Sahabah became very agitated, and said, we all commit wrongdoing.

The Prophet pbuh said, the word ‘dhulm’ or wrongdoing here means shirk, like the words of Allah Most High, “inna ashirk la dhulman adheem.”  “Indeed Shirk is a great wrongdoing.”

Sa'eed bin Musayyid narrated, when Abu Talib was in the pangs of death, and you know how much Abu Talib loved the Prophet, and the Prophet said to him, “Say la illaha illa Allah” and I will argue on your behalf on the Day of Judgment.  Abu Talib’s companions said, ‘Will you leave the way of Abdul Muttalib?’  So Abu Talib said, “No, I am on the way of Abdul Muttalib.”

The Prophet pbuh then said, I will continue to seek forgiveness for him until I am forbidden from it.
Then Allah revealed the verses:
مَا كَانَ لِلنَّبِيِّ وَالَّذِينَ آَمَنُوا أَنْ يَسْتَغْفِرُوا لِلْمُشْرِكِينَ وَلَوْ كَانُوا أُولِي قُرْبَى مِنْ بَعْدِ مَا تَبَيَّنَ لَهُمْ أَنَّهُمْ أَصْحَابُ الْجَحِيمِ [التوبة/113]
113. It is not (proper) for the Prophet and those who believe to ask Allâh's Forgiveness for the Mushrikûn (polytheists, idolaters, pagans, disbelievers in the Oneness of Allâh) even though they be of kin, after it has become clear to them that they are the dwellers of the Fire (because they died in a state of disbelief).

And whoever dies while worshipping other than Allah Most High will be lost in the afterlife.

The Prophet pbuh said, Allah Most High will say on the Day of Judgment to the one in the least level of the Fire, “If you had the whole world and whatever in contains would you give it to ransom yourself from the Fire?  He would says, “Yes!”  Allah Most High will then say, “I asked you for much less than that, when you were on the back of Adam, I asked you to not make partners with Me, and you refused to accept that.”

“Oh Child of Adam, if you came to me with an earth full of sins, I would forgive, and I do not mind.”

Thus Allah Most High is the most independent of Shirk.  And one who does an action, no matter how great in the eyes of the people, if it is not for Allah Most High, it will be rejected by Allah Most High.
Allah says:

وَقَدِمْنَا إِلَى مَا عَمِلُوا مِنْ عَمَلٍ فَجَعَلْنَاهُ هَبَاءً مَنْثُورًا [الفرقان/23]
23. And We shall turn to whatever deeds they (disbelievers, polytheists, sinners, etc.) did, and We shall make such deeds as scattered floating particles of dust.

قُلْ إِنَّمَا أَنَا بَشَرٌ مِثْلُكُمْ يُوحَى إِلَيَّ أَنَّمَا إِلَهُكُمْ إِلَهٌ وَاحِدٌ فَمَنْ كَانَ يَرْجُو لِقَاءَ رَبِّهِ فَلْيَعْمَلْ عَمَلًا صَالِحًا وَلَا يُشْرِكْ بِعِبَادَةِ رَبِّهِ أَحَدًا  [الكهف/110]
110. Say (O Muhammad SAW): "I am only a man like you. It has been inspired to me that your Ilâh (God) is One Ilâh (God i.e. Allâh). So whoever hopes for the Meeting with his Lord, let him work righteousness and associate none as a partner in the worship of his Lord."

وَمَا أُمِرُوا إِلَّا لِيَعْبُدُوا اللَّهَ مُخْلِصِينَ لَهُ الدِّينَ حُنَفَاءَ وَيُقِيمُوا الصَّلَاةَ وَيُؤْتُوا الزَّكَاةَ وَذَلِكَ دِينُ الْقَيِّمَةِ [البينة/5]
5. And they were commanded not, but that they should worship Allâh, and worship none but Him Alone (Haneef) (abstaining from ascribing partners to Him), and perform As-Salât (Iqâmat-as-Salât) and give Zakât: and that is the right religion.

The Haneef is the one who turns away from Shirk.

This is a summary of what Major Shirk is, and anyone who commits it will abide in the Fire unless he repents, and dies on faith.  When Allah Most High says, “Allah Most High will not forgive Shirk.”  This is for the one who dies on Shirk, and did not repent during his life. 

And how many of the Prophet’s companions were on Shirk, then they accepted Tawheed, and the Prophet pbuh gave them good news of Paradise.

The second type of shirk, Minor Shirk, is showing off, Riyaa’.

The Prophet pbuh said, “Indeed the thing that I fear the most for you is minor Shirk.”  His companions said, “What is minor Shirk?”  He replied, “Showing off (Riyaa’).” 
Allah Most High will say to those who used to show off in the dunya, go to those whom you used to show off in front of, do you find any benefit from them now?

What is Riyaa’?

Riyaa’ linguistically is derived from Ruaa, that is seeing something that is different than it is really.

The scholars says that Riyaa’ is any action that is deprived of sincerity.  It is the doing of any action of goodness or obedience but not for Allah Most High, but rather to show it to the people.   And perhaps the person wishes to achieve some dunya status, or worldly benefit.

Whoever does an action to achieve worldly status, or position, or anything other than Allah Most High, then Allah Most High will leave it, for Allah Most High only accepts what is done purely for Him,  it must have Ikhlaas and correctness.  Ikhlaas is making one’s intention purely for Allah Most High, and removing any shirk.  Even a simple action, like giving water to a cat, if it is done purely for Allah Most High, it may the cause of your entering Paradise.

And if you did a large action, but not sincerely for Allah Most High, it will not be accepted.

The Munafiqoon (hypocrites) pray, but in their prayer remember Allah naught save a little.

My honored friends, Riyaa’ is the cause of the cancellation of one’s deeds.

In the Saheehain, a Bedouin came to the Prophet pbuh and said:
“Oh Messenger of Allah, many fight for bravery, or honor, or land, which of them fights for the sake of Allah?”
The Prophet pbuh said, “Whoever fights so that the word of Allah Most High will be highest, that is for the sake of Allah Most High.”

Thus, sincerity is critical, but if sincerity was impossible to achieve, Allah Most High would not have commanded us to seek it.  I assure you, it is not impossible to achieve sincerity, rather it is possible, for Allah Most High does not command the impossible.  And I have read some of the early scholars saying, “Whoever sees sincerity in his sincerity, then his sincerity is in need of sincerity!”

No my beloved, these scholars were being over scrupulous with themselves.  Allah Most High said, “Fear Allah as much as you are able to.”

Yes sincerity is special and important, but it is not impossible to achieve.  For this reason, the Prophet pbuh said in Saheeh Muslim:

إِنَّ أَوَّلَ النَّاسِ يُقْضَى يَوْمَ الْقِيَامَةِ عَلَيْهِ رَجُلٌ اسْتُشْهِدَ فَأُتِيَ بِهِ فَعَرَّفَهُ نِعَمَهُ فَعَرَفَهَا قَالَ فَمَا عَمِلْتَ فِيهَا قَالَ قَاتَلْتُ فِيكَ حَتَّى اسْتُشْهِدْتُ قَالَ كَذَبْتَ وَلَكِنَّكَ قَاتَلْتَ لِأَنْ يُقَالَ جَرِيءٌ فَقَدْ قِيلَ ثُمَّ أُمِرَ بِهِ فَسُحِبَ عَلَى وَجْهِهِ حَتَّى أُلْقِيَ فِي النَّارِ وَرَجُلٌ تَعَلَّمَ الْعِلْمَ وَعَلَّمَهُ وَقَرَأَ الْقُرْآنَ فَأُتِيَ بِهِ فَعَرَّفَهُ نِعَمَهُ فَعَرَفَهَا قَالَ فَمَا عَمِلْتَ فِيهَا قَالَ تَعَلَّمْتُ الْعِلْمَ وَعَلَّمْتُهُ وَقَرَأْتُ فِيكَ الْقُرْآنَ قَالَ كَذَبْتَ وَلَكِنَّكَ تَعَلَّمْتَ الْعِلْمَ لِيُقَالَ عَالِمٌ وَقَرَأْتَ الْقُرْآنَ لِيُقَالَ هُوَ قَارِئٌ فَقَدْ قِيلَ ثُمَّ أُمِرَ بِهِ فَسُحِبَ عَلَى وَجْهِهِ حَتَّى أُلْقِيَ فِي النَّارِ وَرَجُلٌ وَسَّعَ اللَّهُ عَلَيْهِ وَأَعْطَاهُ مِنْ أَصْنَافِ الْمَالِ كُلِّهِ فَأُتِيَ بِهِ فَعَرَّفَهُ نِعَمَهُ فَعَرَفَهَا قَالَ فَمَا عَمِلْتَ فِيهَا قَالَ مَا تَرَكْتُ مِنْ سَبِيلٍ تُحِبُّ أَنْ يُنْفَقَ فِيهَا إِلَّا أَنْفَقْتُ فِيهَا لَكَ قَالَ كَذَبْتَ وَلَكِنَّكَ فَعَلْتَ لِيُقَالَ هُوَ جَوَادٌ فَقَدْ قِيلَ ثُمَّ أُمِرَ بِهِ فَسُحِبَ عَلَى وَجْهِهِ ثُمَّ أُلْقِيَ فِي النَّارِ

“The first of men (whose case) will be decided on the Day of Judgment will be a man who died as a martyr. He shall be brought (before the Judgment Seat). Allah will make him recount His blessings (i. e. the blessings which He had bestowed upon him) and he will recount them (and admit having enjoyed them in his life). (Then) will Allah say: What did you do (to requite these blessings)? He will say: I fought for Thee until I died as a martyr. Allah will say: You have told a lie. You fought that you might be called a" brave warrior". And you were called so. (Then) orders will be passed against him and he will be dragged with his face downward and cast into Hell.

Then will be brought forward a man who acquired knowledge and imparted it (to others) and recited the Qur'an. He will be brought And Allah will make him recount His blessings and he will recount them (and admit having enjoyed them in his lifetime). Then will Allah ask: What did you do (to requite these blessings)? He will say: I acquired knowledge and disseminated it and recited the Qur'an seeking Thy pleasure. Allah will say: You have told a lie. You acquired knowledge so that you might be called" a scholar," and you recited the Qur'an so that it might be said:" He is a Qari" and such has been said. Then orders will be passed against him and he shall be dragged with his face downward and cast into the fire.
Then will be brought a man whom Allah had made abundantly rich and had granted every kind of wealth. He will be brought and Allah will make him recount His blessings and he will recount them and (admit having enjoyed them in his lifetime). Allah will (then) ask: What have you done (to requite these blessings)? He will say: I spent money in every cause in which Thou wished that it should be spent. Allah will say: You are lying. You did (so) that it might be said about (You):" He is a generous fellow" and so it was said. Then will Allah pass orders and he will be dragged with his face downward and thrown into Hell.”
My beloved, a person who fell on the battlefield, and he is being dragged to the fire!  Oh Allah Most High, may Allah Most High save us from that.

And a person, a scholar, a person who read the Quran, and perhaps thousands listen to his beautiful recitation, and he filled the world with knowledge, but then, he is dragged into the fire.
And a man who gave in charity.
Oh Allah Most High save us from the Fire, and grant us sincerity, and do not make the earning of our words the dunya.   By Allah, this hadith tears at one’s heart, may Allah Most High grant us sincerity.

But know that actions with regard to Riyaa’ are of several types:
The first is one that is begun with an intention of showing off, like going to the Masjid, or giving in charity, or building a mosque to show off, and if this showing off was there in the beginning, then the action is cancelled, by agreement of all the scholars.

What about if someone shows Islam and Imaan outwardly, but inside he is filled with Kufr and disbelief?  This is the ugliest form of showing off, and this person will abide forever in the Fire, and this person is outside of Islam, by the agreement of the scholars.  This is called hypocrisy of belief.

Allah Most High says, “Wa min an naas man ya’jibuka qawlahu fill hayat adoonya…”
“And from the people are those who amaze you by their speech in worldly things, but they are most argumentative.”

“Wa idha qaaamu illa as salaati qaaamu kusaala.”
“And when they stand for prayer, they stand lazily.”

And Allah Most High says, “Inna al munafiqeen fi dark al asfal min an-naar.”
“The hypocrites are in the bottom pit of the Fire.”

But if a person believes in Allah Most High, and the Messenger, and if he was asked to prostrate to an idol, he would refuse.  Yet in some moment of weakness, he falls victim to showing off.  Is this person out of Islam?  No.   But this showing off will cancel out the action.

For example if a person goes out to give charity, but his intention is to earn status, or to gain their vote in an election, then this act of charity is cancelled out.  His secrecy he is different than the way he is in public.  He violates the sanctity of Allah Most High.  May Allah Most High protect us from slipping.

Now, what if the action was originally for Allah Most High, but during the action, showing off comes into the mind of the person.  For example, a person starts praying Taraweeh for Allah Most High, but after a few rakats, he sees his boss, or the father of his fiancée, and starts thinking about praying more eagerly, the scholars say that if a person fights off these whispers, Allah Most High will still accept the action.

Another important point:  if someone leads prayer for example, and people praise him, and he feels happy about it, this is not Riyaa’.

The Sahabah said to the Prophet, pbuh “Oh Messenger of Allah, a man does an action seeking thereby the pleasure of Allah, but then the people start praising him for it.
The Prophet pbuh said, “That is the early good tidings for the believer.”

And in the Saheehain, the Prophet pbuh said:
قَالَ إِذَا أَحَبَّ اللَّهُ عَبْدًا نَادَى جِبْرِيل إِنَّ اللَّهَ يُحِبُّ فُلَانًا فَأَحِبَّهُ فَيُحِبُّهُ جِبْرِيلُ فَيُنَادِي جِبْرِيلُ فِي أَهْلِ السَّمَاءِ إِنَّ اللَّهَ يُحِبُّ فُلَانًا فَأَحِبُّوهُ فَيُحِبُّهُ أَهْلُ السَّمَاءِ ثُمَّ يُوضَعُ لَهُ الْقَبُولُ فِي أَهْلِ الْأَرْضِ

“If Allah loves a person, He calls to Jibreel saying that Allah loves so-and-so thus you should love him, so Jibreel loves him, then Jibreel calls out in the people of the heavens that Allah loves so-and-so, so love him, then the people of the heavens love him, and then the acceptance (of his deeds) will be placed amongst the people of the earth.”

Finally, liking nice clothing and shoes is not from showing off.  As narrated by Muslim, the Prophet, pbuh, said:
 لَا يَدْخُلُ الْجَنَّةَ مَنْ كَانَ فِي قَلْبِهِ مِثْقَالُ ذَرَّةٍ مِنْ كِبْرٍ قَالَ رَجُلٌ إِنَّ الرَّجُلَ يُحِبُّ أَنْ يَكُونَ ثَوْبُهُ حَسَنًا وَنَعْلُهُ حَسَنَةً قَالَ إِنَّ اللَّهَ جَمِيلٌ يُحِبُّ الْجَمَالَ الْكِبْرُ بَطَرُ الْحَقِّ وَغَمْطُ النَّاسِ
 “Whoever has a grain of arrogance in his heart will not enter Paradise.”  A man said, “What about a man who likes that his robe and shoes are beautiful?”  The Prophet pbuh said, “Allah is beautiful and loves beauty.  Arrogance is rejecting the truth and looking down on the people.”

No what is the medicine to the illness of showing off?

What we can do is call on Allah Most High, like Ibrahim, he said, “And save me and my children from worshipping idols.”  Cry in front of Allah Most High, and no one feels safe from hypocrisy except a hypocrite, and no one fears hypocrisy except a believer.

Also, know the punishment from Allah Most High, and that He punishes the one showing off with the opposite of his intention.  And attach your heart to Allah Most High.  Know that the creation is never pleased with you, and know that if Allah Most High is pleased with you, there is no need for the praise of the people.

And know if people criticize you, it will not take you away from Allah Most High, and if they praise you, it will not bring you any closer to Allah Most High.

If you can give charity secretly, or cry secretly, that is better.  And the best medicine for showing off is secrecy.  If you get used to crying in secret, when you cry in public it will not affect your sincerity.
And last but not least, make tawbah ever time you slip, and always renew your repentance.

Oh Allah Most High do not make our portion of our religion our speech, and grant us sincerity, and may peace and blessings be upon Prophet Muhammad.

We will continue next time with a  new Hadith Qudsi, and may Allah accept from you and me.

Asalamualaikum wrt wb.

Be merciful to those on earth, and the One in the Heavens will be merciful to you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: