Madinat al-Muslimeen Community

Login with username, password and session length

From the news...

This is how the world ends, not with a bang, but a day of judgement.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Ideas for Wedding Favors?  (Read 8660 times)
sofia
Sis

Reputation Power: 8
sofia has no influence :(

Ya Muqallib Al-Quloob thabbit quloobana ala deenik

« on: Jan 30, 2008 04:49 PM »

As-salaamu alaykum,

Does anyone have any ideas on a practical, interesting wedding favor? Have you seen anything you really liked?
As much as I love Jordan almonds, I want to try something different (for my brother's wedding, insha'Allah).
Something you can actually use or keep, and that won't cost a fortune.  hijabisis

Jazaakum Allahu khayran for the ideas!
-sofia

"My Lord! Increase me in knowledge." (Qur'aan 20.114)
"Our Lord! We believe, so forgive us, and have mercy on us, for You are the Best of all who show mercy!" (23:109)
"And hold fast, all together, by the rope which Allah (stretches out for you), and be not divided among yourselves..."(3:10)
WhiteHawk
Sis

Reputation Power: 0
WhiteHawk has no influence :(

Judge me this is who I am.

« Reply #1 on: Jan 30, 2008 06:41 PM »

You could have M&M's made with there names on it though you want somthing to last umm somthing they do here is they give evryone Quran's that have on the cover "We would like to announce the marrige of so and so daughter os so and so  and so and so son of so and so May God bless them in this marrige."
 hijabisis
cat
Sis

cat has no influence :(

« Reply #2 on: Jan 31, 2008 02:56 PM »

slm

this may not be to everyone's taste, but i received this key chain once that has like a mini antique frame, with a message of thanks from the bride and groom.  The thing is, it's pretty, practical and i still have it hanging on my key rack.

Otherwise, wedding keepsakes / favours get thrown away.

peace
umm ibraheem
Sis

Reputation Power: 5
umm ibraheem has no influence :(

« Reply #3 on: Jan 31, 2008 04:09 PM »

wa alaikum asalaam,

How much did you want to spend per favor? 

compass keychain with their names on it.
http://www.4imprint.com/Whistle-Key-Light-w-Compass/EXEC/DETAIL/ADVANCED/~SKU006900/~CA6900.htm

You can get little memo books with their names on them.  http://www.4imprint.com/Memo-Book-wPen-and-Paper-Translucent/EXEC/DETAIL/ADVANCED/~SKU005769/~CA5769-T.htm

Mini Snap-It Tin w/Sugar-Free Mints http://www.4imprint.com/Mini-Snap-It-Tin-wSugar-Free-Mints/EXEC/DETAIL/ADVANCED/~SKU006481/~CA6481-SF.htm

You could probably find something on www.4imprint.com or other websites similar to it.  You can usually search by price.

Sr.Kathy
Sis

Reputation Power: 18
Sr.Kathy has no influence :(

« Reply #4 on: Feb 02, 2008 04:59 AM »

The best wedding favor i ever got was se7en's and Abu Hamza's.
They made a cd with their favorite sura's, duas... it's been years and I am still playing it.
When I was teaching last year I played the first couple of tracs as the kids came in every day.
 The first being the Adthan.

"Allah surely knows the warmth of every teardrop... " Jaihoon
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #5 on: Feb 02, 2008 05:45 AM »

wsalaam,

awwwwwwwwwww i'm glad someone remembers it!! a lot of time, design and track finding went into that by *ahem* someone recently asked us for another copy and we were like errr?? sorry maybe the next time someone gets married Wink

i think we also had a thread before on wedding favors in our ultimate wedding guide thing. maybe do a search on the old board or the archives!

ws

ooooooooooooh i found it: The Ultimate Muslimah WEDDING guide!

i tend to like any and all wedding favors they all seem pretty nice... the usual is those bags with traditional candy or chocolate, one wedding i went to had lindt truffles mashallah Wink something unique might be more interesting. i read about this one favor which is a card with a poem or something that comes with a little pot and what you do is wet the card and plant it in the pot with some dirt and some kind of flowers grow from the seeds embedded in the card! how cute is that!   bride groom
blackrose
Sis

Reputation Power: 3
blackrose has no influence :(

« Reply #6 on: Feb 02, 2008 06:53 AM »

so mine was a lil bowl w popouri inside it wrapped in tissue with a card attatched.. my sister did all that . i ididnt even know.
There was one that I really liked.. but i forgot to take home was a board that can hang (really pretty) with the bride and grooms name and had how to say I love you  in many different languages
that was one of my favorites..
hmm in dallas.. most of the people just give their (bride and grooms ) picture with their names on it..
there was one favor that had those decoration meauring spoons.. u know tsp of love, kindness ect ect
salaamz
jannah
Administrator

jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #7 on: Feb 02, 2008 11:04 PM »

salams,

here's an idea i had for my own wedding but since that ain't happening anytime soon... Sad

so you know those cute little dua books like fortress of a muslim, you could put those in a pretty organza wedding bag that matches your wedding colors along with some wedding/candy chocolates and i think it's a really nice favor because whenever someone looks at it/reads from it they might remember u and make dua for u and u might get some reward too!

u could probably buy the nice bags on ebay or a wedding site like this:

Also if you have contacts overseas you can ask for them to look for stuff and they usually have really nice things and much cheaper too!

sofia
Sis

sofia has no influence :(

Ya Muqallib Al-Quloob thabbit quloobana ala deenik

« Reply #8 on: Feb 03, 2008 02:16 AM »

As-salaamu alaykum,

Thank you, what grrreat ideas! My mother is leaning towards something like what you mentioned (book of du'aas or certain surahs), Jannah, although I really like the compass idea, too...all grrreat ideas.

Jazaakum Allahu khayran!

"My Lord! Increase me in knowledge." (Qur'aan 20.114)
"Our Lord! We believe, so forgive us, and have mercy on us, for You are the Best of all who show mercy!" (23:109)
"And hold fast, all together, by the rope which Allah (stretches out for you), and be not divided among yourselves..."(3:10)
JustOne
Sis

Reputation Power: 17
JustOne has no influence :(

« Reply #9 on: Feb 03, 2008 06:24 AM »

peace be upon you

We like...don't do wedding favors in the American sense of the word. um. phrase.

Anyway, the best "wedding favor" (and actually the best pre-wedding desi ceremony) I've ever gotten was a book of duaas.... the girl's name has a really good meaning...so her mom titled it around her name. And then she got it published and handed them out at the "Duaa" ceremony...which they has in place of all the mayouns and dholkis that desi weddings are famous for. 

Wasalaam.
um aboodi
Sis

Reputation Power: 26
um aboodi barely matters :(um aboodi barely matters :(

« Reply #10 on: Feb 03, 2008 03:49 PM »

peace be upon you

masha'Allah  those are very nice ideas, and so creative.

for our wedding, we decided that there was no time or money left for wedding favours! 

however there is a store in my city (mississauga, ontario) called patchi and it makes out of this world favours for all kind of occasions.  they even have their own brand of chocolates. very yummy.

take care

Barr
Sis

Barr has no influence :(

« Reply #11 on: Feb 05, 2008 08:21 PM »

Assalamu'alaikum,

For our wedding, we had a cute tupperware like 4 inches in diameter. And we put dried mangoes in it and a ribbon on the lid. Then we attached a tiny tiny folded card with our names in arabic calligraphy. And an ayah in the Qur'an about how Allah sends signs in the fruits and vegetation (I can't remmebr which ayah). And at the back of the card - "Terima kasih" and "Thank you"
JustOne
Sis

Reputation Power: 17
JustOne has no influence :(

« Reply #12 on: Feb 08, 2008 06:50 AM »

[slm]

Okay so....on a related note...

I need to hand out presents to about 12-15 of my closest friends who are making it to the wedding.  Any ideas...I'm really stumped. 

If I don't figure something out I'll get them all some jewellry, but that's going to suck.

Wasalaam.
um aboodi
Sis

Reputation Power: 26
um aboodi barely matters :(um aboodi barely matters :(

« Reply #13 on: Feb 08, 2008 09:01 AM »

salam alaykum

If I don't figure something out I'll get them all some jewellry, but that's going to suck.

for you or for them?  if someone wants to get me jewellery, i won't get upset! jus saying you know ....

so let me get this, you are the bride and *you* have to give your friends gifts, possibly jewellery??? 

jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #14 on: Feb 08, 2008 07:35 PM »

wsalaam,

yeah its common to give your closest friends something. try doing a search on bridesmaid gifts. they always have the cutest things!
umm ibraheem
Sis

« Reply #15 on: Feb 10, 2008 02:52 AM »

Here's another idea for favors.  Candles or little boxes decorated with mehndi.  I'm thinking of selling them over here (these are my first so they are not that great).  I'm sure umme bilal could make some up when she returns from her trip in a couple of months, if anyone needs any in albany. 
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #16 on: Feb 10, 2008 03:02 AM »

wsalaam,

ooooh that's a really nice idea. i think if someone is artistic their wedding can be incredible! just takes some time and imagination!!
a_desert_rose
Sis

a_desert_rose has no influence :(

« Reply #17 on: Feb 13, 2008 09:39 AM »

I was searching for how to make roses out of tissue paper (if anyone knows, please tell me!!) and came across these adorable wedding favours:

Blooming favor boxes (my favourite, I'm gonna figure out how to make these myself Smiley ):
http://weddingshop.theknot.com/weddingwarehouse/ProductPage.aspx?scId=Unique%20Favors%28KnotShop%29&pId=P920%28KnotShop%29&cId=Favors%28KnotShop%29

Silk fans (although I prefer my trusty desi pankha!):
http://weddingshop.theknot.com/weddingwarehouse/ProductPage.aspx?scId=Unique%20Favors%28KnotShop%29&pId=P1063%28KnotShop%29&cId=Favors%28KnotShop%29&cTypF=

Rose favor soaps (too good to use!):
http://weddingshop.theknot.com/weddingwarehouse/ProductPage.aspx?scId=Unique%20Favors%28KnotShop%29&pId=P552%28KnotShop%29&cId=Favors%28KnotShop%29&cTypF=

Wassalam,
a_desert_rose
cat
Sis

« Reply #18 on: Feb 19, 2008 12:32 PM »

slm Sister Desert_Rose.

Paper roses can be made in 2 ways that i know off one of which is to cut out the petal shapes and build the petals around florists wire and using florist tape to hold it all together and finish off the stem / bottom end of the florists wire.  You can use pipe cleaner instead of florists wire.  But the florist tape is essential as it pulkls the whole effect together.

http://www.wwvisions.com/newsletter/oct01/rose.htm

the other method involves 2 strips of tissue or crepe paper about 1m long and 2.5 cm wide.  sit these at right angles together and turn over each other alternately.  Sorry, this is easier shown that written about.  If i get a link explaining it better i will post it.  Once you get to the end of the tissue strips then you pull the 2 pieces together through the inside and centre back to the starting point, creating a rose!

I made these roses to decorate serviette rings for the napkins on the table on my Mehndi night.
a_desert_rose
Sis

« Reply #19 on: Feb 20, 2008 10:38 PM »

Jazakallah for the advice sis! I tried doing it but all I got was the zigzag caterpillar-type springs that we used to make in year one!

Anyway, I tried making the origami kawasaki rose and after many many attempts trying out all the different techniques used by different people, I finally made one! It's actually really pretty, if anyone wants to make some as decorations for wedding favours here's the link to the one I could actually follow (although some steps are hard to see and I could only do it because I'd spent the evening doing the same step about a dozen different times):

also, I used some steps from here: http://www.bloom4ever.com/howto/howto10.html

Wassalam,
a_desert_rose
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #20 on: Feb 20, 2008 11:16 PM »

wsalam,

Those roses look beautiful, but I just watched that video and  Shocked Huh? wow I have no idea how she did that even though I watched her do it hehe Smiley  Good luck on your decorations post a pic when you're done we'd love to see it!!
a_desert_rose
Sis

« Reply #21 on: Feb 21, 2008 08:57 AM »

Here's the first (and only) rose that I managed to make Smiley It tore a little bit when I was trying to do the "kawasaki twist".

I'm not actually making decorations because my elder brother's wedding plans are still in the hazy future, but I do like planning his (imaginary) wedding anyway because a. it freaks him out, b. cos I'm going to be in charge (if my Mum lets me) and c. it's fun!

Wassalam,
a_desert_rose
cat
Sis

« Reply #22 on: Feb 28, 2008 01:18 PM »

Here's the first (and only) rose that I managed to make Smiley It tore a little bit when I was trying to do the "kawasaki twist".
  very nice Masha Allah Smiley

I'm not actually making decorations because my elder brother's wedding plans are still in the hazy future, but I do like planning his (imaginary) wedding anyway because a. it freaks him out, b. cos I'm going to be in charge (if my Mum lets me) and c. it's fun!

Wassalam,
a_desert_rose
  LOL, that is so cute!
Princess1983
Sis

Princess1983 has no influence :(

Make duaa for those less fortunate than us.

« Reply #23 on: Mar 21, 2008 07:20 PM »

Here's another idea for favors.  Candles or little boxes decorated with mehndi.  I'm thinking of selling them over here (these are my first so they are not that great).  I'm sure umme bilal could make some up when she returns from her trip in a couple of months, if anyone needs any in albany. 

Sister these candles look stunning. Would the mendhi not flake off once dry?

Our Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) wasn't just sent to guide us Muslims, he is a unique, true example to EVERYONE.
This life is only a test-passing will equal Jannah, Inshallah!
Oh Muslim brothers and sisters-consider sponsoring an Orphan if Allah has blessed you with the finances to do so-Ameen.
umm ibraheem
Sis

« Reply #24 on: Mar 23, 2008 02:43 AM »

Princess the mehndi will stay put if you seal it with something once dry. I use a craft glue called Mod Podge. I usually put on a few layers and its on for good!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print

Jump to: