// Little Mosque on The Prairie Season 2
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it. -Maulana Jelaluddin Rumi
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Little Mosque on The Prairie Season 2  (Read 10774 times)
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 278
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« on: Dec 25, 2007 11:07 AM »

Salam,

Was just watching the episodes from season 2 and I think the show has gotten a LOT better. It's actually very funny at points AND it seems like they actually got some Muslims to make sure everything's accurate so it's "islamically correct". (I mean it's still a sitcom but u know what i mean.) They also were very smart to move away from "religious" type issues and move to more funny situations, cultural type things. And I still think it's incredible dawah. And in the latest one they sang Yusuf Islam's peace train song!!  Grin

If you're not in Canada you can find them on most video sites. The latter one's are the better ones.

season 2 episode 1 part 1 and keep goin!

AbdulBasir
Bro

Reputation Power: 8
AbdulBasir has no influence :(

« Reply #1 on: Dec 25, 2007 07:18 PM »

peace be upon you

I agree, the show is much better this year, particularly the more recent ones. Last year there were things that made you gasp and cringe; not so much this year. I think that it's good daw'ah, and it does touch on sensitive issues (like surveillance of masaajid) by poking fun at them, which can sometimes be the best way to actually begin to understand something! It's too bad it isn't across the border here in the US, though the atmosphere here probably would never allow such a show.

I'm not sure how popular it is in Canada, but judging by the fact that it's still on the air and is even attracting guest stars, it must not be doing so bad. It'd be interesting to hear what non-Muslims think of the show...

They need to get the imam's act together so that he displays some semblance of Islamic gravitas rather than being an immature kid. They should have replaced him with the Islaminator in that one episode...But I guess in a sitcom everyone has to be made fun of I suppose...

There's a blog related to the show that has the episodes and ppl leave comments on it:

http://littlemosqueontheprairie.wordpress.com/

peace be upon you
jannah
Administrator

jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #2 on: Jan 03, 2008 12:22 PM »

This is a really nice (and very long) article from Aramco magazine about the creator and background of the show, a very behind the scenes look. Check it out:

We’re outside the Mercy Mosque, which holds its weekly prayers in space rented from a church in a slightly tattered but otherwise nondescript neighborhood in a small town in western Canada. As the worshipers exit, greeting each other and shaking hands with the imam, one of them snipes, “Well, well, a good sermon—for once!” The imam shoots back, “Yes, I noticed a lot less twitching from your part of the room.” The next voice says, “Cut!” and a crew of gaffers turns the awning-like diffusion screens around to get ready for the next scene.

The Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC) television sitcom Little Mosque on the Prairie will air its second season this fall.

When the show premiered with eight episodes last winter, more than two million viewers tuned in—good numbers for Canada. So did The New York Times, CNN, the BBC and other world media, all of whom found newsworthy a show that depicted the daily life of Canadian Muslims as, well, normal —and worth joking about.

Mary Darling, the show’s executive producer, says CBC scooped up the concept from the first line of creator Zarqa Nawaz’s “pitch”: She simply walked in wearing her head-scarf and said, “I think it would be great to do a comedy about my community.” Darling reflects, “It was the timing. The fact we are doing a Muslim comedy, humanizing a population that otherwise has not been humanized, is not a bad thing at all.”

Nawaz’s ideas come out rat-a-tat. “You write what you know. What I knew was growing up in Toronto, and then being transplanted to a small town and going to a small mosque—one imam, a very small community—dealing with my community and dealing with the outer community as a whole, and how 9/11 affected my relation-ships with everyone.”

She offers, “They always say that Muslims are this foreign ‘other’ that ‘we Canadians’ can’t relate to—yet when people watch this show, they say, ‘This could be me, this could be my wife, these could be my kids—even though I’m not Muslim.’”

Anton Leo, head of comedy development for CBC, recalls Nawaz’s pitch, too, which she made at a network office in her hometown of Regina, capital of the prairie province of Saskatchewan. He recalls her anecdote about moving to Regina: “When they started unpacking, a neighbor called the RCMP [Royal Canadian Mounted Police] because there was this group of Muslims taking boxes out of a cube van. I thought that was a great story.”

The success of Nawaz’s pitch earned her three years of slogging through script after script, honing characters and story ideas to get the “eureka!” moments that make or break a television series. As a documentary filmmaker, Nawaz, 39, was new to comedy writing, so CBC teamed her up with two polished writers.
Little Mosque on the Prairie is “a sitcom and not political satire,” says Zarqa Nawaz, the show’s creator, who was born in Liverpool, England and raised in Toronto. In 1994 she moved to Regina with her husband and four children. A former radio journalist and documentary filmmaker, she wants “people to laugh with Muslims like they would laugh with anyone else, and feel comfortable doing so.”
Little Mosque on the Prairie is “a sitcom and not political satire,” says Zarqa Nawaz, the show’s creator, who was born in Liverpool, England and raised in Toronto. In 1994 she moved to Regina with her husband and four children. A former radio journalist and documentary filmmaker, she wants “people to laugh with Muslims like they would laugh with anyone else, and feel comfortable doing so.”

Through the fictional town of Mercy, Nawaz uses the show to explore what she calls the “dynamics of the mosque,” with its “motley crew” that she says is “based on archetypes in the real world.” In a switchabout, the visible minority in Little Mosque is the non-Muslim majority population of Mercy.

Continues @
http://www.saudiaramcoworld.com/issue/200705/go.west.young.imam.htm
mary
« Reply #3 on: Jan 03, 2008 04:57 PM »

I love this show!  It does not air in the US, but I was able to order Season 1 on-line.  I will be anxiously awaiting Season 2 to be available on DVD.

It's so nice to be able to watch a sitcom that does not promote drinking, extra-marital affairs, etc.

Mary  purplehijabisis
Blessedgrandma
Sis

Reputation Power: 6
Blessedgrandma has no influence :(

« Reply #4 on: Jan 03, 2008 08:36 PM »

I'd love to see this, where can one order season one?

purplehijabisis
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #5 on: Jan 03, 2008 09:28 PM »

You can order it from the cbcshop or amazon.ca  Here's the link for the cbcshop:

http://www.cbcshop.ca/CBC/shopping/product.aspx?Product_ID=ETART00146&Variant_ID=LMOSQUEDVD1&lang=en-CA
Blessedgrandma
Sis

« Reply #6 on: Jan 07, 2008 02:35 AM »

Well, I ordered it  Smiley and am really looking forward to recieving it.
Is it now in the 2nd season? Or is the 2nd season over?
What channel in the states can it be seen?
What days and times?

purplehijabisis
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #7 on: Jan 07, 2008 10:49 PM »

wsalam,

Can't be seen in the US unfortunately.  :'(  It's in the middle of the second season in Canada.  madinaflag
Blessedgrandma
Sis

« Reply #8 on: Jan 08, 2008 07:18 AM »

Sad So how do you get to see it?
Aren't you in NY?
 Sad Sad  pout pout  Sad Sad
I did get the email saying it's been shipped out.
Really looking forward to recieving and watching it.
Can you recommend any other movies or shows?

purplehijabisis
Faizah
Sis

Reputation Power: 3
Faizah has no influence :(

« Reply #9 on: Jan 08, 2008 12:33 PM »

I'm intrigued now.  Guess I'll be ordering season 1 soon.  Guess I can find space on the dvd shelves for some more.

Fa'izah
Blessedgrandma
Sis

« Reply #10 on: Jan 18, 2008 03:12 AM »

My DVDs just came in.   Grin
I put it in the player and am heading off with my  bebzi
to watch it. purplehijabisis
Blessedgrandma
Sis

« Reply #11 on: Jan 18, 2008 07:26 AM »

Ok, I'm ready for season 2
mary
« Reply #12 on: Jan 18, 2008 02:36 PM »

Ok, I'm ready for season 2

Cheesy Hahaha I couldn't agree more- I am in the US- got the DVDs of Season 1 a couple months ago.  My 18 year-old daughter and I love the show and we are anxiously awaiting Season 2 to come out on DVD....

What a shame it isn't aired in the US  Sad

Mary
umm ibraheem
Sis

Reputation Power: 5
umm ibraheem has no influence :(

« Reply #13 on: Jan 18, 2008 05:20 PM »

You can also watch them on youtube or videogoogle.
blackrose
Sis

blackrose has no influence :(

« Reply #14 on: Jan 19, 2008 02:13 AM »

salaamz ok so I just saw that episode that was posted there and it was my first one...
it was nice and funny but I really dont undrstand why shes so stuck on making announcements..and when did the woman make announcements in the prophets time...the announcements r ususally made in the mens section.. after Jummah...so yah I dont get it?
Faizah
Sis

« Reply #15 on: Jan 19, 2008 04:49 AM »

I'm anxiously awaiting season 1 to arrive in the mail.  It's been shipped out so now it's just a matter of wait patiently (sadly not my most favorite activity)
Faizah
Sis

« Reply #16 on: Jan 27, 2008 12:12 AM »

As salaamu alaikum

Just an update... my copy arrived today; just finished watching both dvds and starting them over again.  Luv it!  Of course was a bit shocked by the issues raised in episode 1.  Still I think it speaks to the very nature of what we are dealing with - misunderstandings of Islam and Muslims, profiling, not giving in to the temptations that surround us, the conflict (or as it was described - cage match) over when Ramadan begins, etc.  Even my oldest enjoyed it.

As salaamu alaikum

Fa'izah
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #17 on: Mar 06, 2008 06:21 AM »

wsalaam,

Season 2 is FABULOUS.

*spoiler*

who would you choose? J.J. or Amaar Wink
Blessedgrandma
Sis

« Reply #18 on: Mar 06, 2008 09:15 AM »

Is season #2 over?
Cause I'm ready to get the Season #2 DVD's Smiley
Faizah
Sis

« Reply #19 on: Mar 06, 2008 11:40 AM »

Me too.  I think season 2 will be released on DVD in May so we have a little longer Sad   I'll check the website.
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #20 on: Mar 07, 2008 10:58 AM »

salams,

Wait till you guys see the season finale of the second season heart. You'll order season 3 on back order immediately. What a cliffhanger!! rotfl You know when I have a bad day I watch one of these episodes and somehow it cheers me right up. I wish there were more!!! I need like 365. But at least there were 20 episodes this season!!
Blessedgrandma
Sis

« Reply #21 on: Mar 07, 2008 07:44 PM »

salams,

You know when I have a bad day I watch one of these episodes and somehow it cheers me right up. I wish there were more!!! I need like 365. But at least there were 20 episodes this season!!

I don't mean to sound silly, but when I sit for hours and sew, I put this DVD in and somehow
it just makes me feel better inside. And since I'm not around other Muslims, it seems to have me feeling
more connected. I'm thrilled there are 20 episoded in season #2.

Are there any other movies or tv shows similiar to this you'd recommend?
Other Canadian shows?
I wish they would show there down here in the US.
Blessedgrandma
Sis

« Reply #22 on: Mar 07, 2008 07:47 PM »

I wonder if Amaar and Rayyan will end up getting married in
a future season. love

Whose JJ?

Are most of the characters the same actors as in season 1?

What did you all think of the Halalween idea Amaar had?

Added later:

Never mind, I didn't realize we had a link to a blog on the first page.
I wish my pc wasn't so old and I also don't have speakers so can't
watch and listen to the things on the blog sigh
After reading the blog now I'm really chomping at the bit to get season 2 tv
bouncygrins
Halima
Sis

Reputation Power: 39
Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)

« Reply #23 on: Jun 26, 2008 05:36 PM »

Friday June 13, 2008
Category: Pop Culture, Television
'Little Mosque' Could be Coming to the U.S.

Your friendly neighborhood Canadian mosque could be making its debut soon in the U.S. Perhaps you've never heard of the Canadian hit sitcom, "Little Mosque on the Prairie" developed by Zarqa Nawaz (hailed by Islamica Magazine as one the ten most innovative young Muslims).

This little show that could is a hilarious look at an engaging, multifaceted Muslim community struggling to live an Islamic life (well, their own individual interpretations of an Islamic life) in a small rural community.

Fox (which owns Beliefnet) has acquired the U.S. format rights to "Little Mosque," which debuted in Canada in early 2007. According to a press release, the studio giant beat out other U.S. studios and cable channels for the format rights. This means that Fox may be developing their own American version of this show.

Mary Darling, the Canadian sitcom's executive producer, said Fox understands the "creative vision of the show, that it has to be funny while it treads sensitively on certain Muslim issues."

I, for one, am excited to see this show make a U.S. debut. Muslim themes are hardly explored by sitcoms (probably because studio heads are subscribing to the false notion that Muslims have no sense of humor. We do!) The CW's short-lived "Aliens in America" (about a Pakistani-Muslim exchange student living with an American family) didn't make it to a second season.

But just because Fox has acquired the rights to this show doesn't mean the studio will actual make an American version of it. But there's hope!

http://blog.beliefnet.com/idolchatter/2008/06/little-mosque-could-be-coming.html

The Almighty Allah says,

"When a servant thinks of Me, I am near.
When he invokes Me, I am with him.
If he reflects on Me in secret, I reply in secret,
And if he acknowledges Me in an assembly,
I acknowledge him in a far superior assembly."

- Prophet Muhammad (SAW), as reptd by Abu Huraira
Faizah
Sis

« Reply #24 on: Jun 26, 2008 09:42 PM »

As salaamu alaikum

I hope Fox does actally bring it to the US; however it would be a shame if the US version is too far removed from it's Canadian original that it doesn't last in the US.  In the meantime I'm awaiting the release of Season 2 on dvd (keep checking the website but don't see it listed yet; signed up for news alerts too).

As for Aliens in America I don't know what was the thought process behind that because I barely made it through 1 episode before changing the channel and in order to give it another chance tried a 2nd episode and watched it even less than; I just couldn't do it.

As salaamu alaikum

Fa'izah
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: