// Fatayar Recipe?
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: Animals: A'isha said: 'I was once riding a difficult (slow-moving) camel, so I kept hitting it. When the Prophet saw me, he said: 'Be gentle, for gentleness adorns everything in which it is found, and its absence leaves everything tainted.' (Musnad Ahmad)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fatayar Recipe?  (Read 2209 times)
Barr
Sis

Reputation Power: 8
Barr has no influence :(

« on: Oct 17, 2009 08:40 PM »

Assalamualaikum

Does anyone know a good yummy fatayar (lebanese pie) recipe?

Jazakumullahu khairaa Smiley
um aboodi
Sis

Reputation Power: 26
um aboodi barely matters :(um aboodi barely matters :(

« Reply #1 on: Oct 26, 2009 05:51 PM »

salam

dough ingredients

- 9 cups of flour
- 1.5 teaspoon  instant yeast
- 1/2 tsp  salt
- 1.5 tsp sugar
- 3/4 cup canola or olive oil
- 3-3.25 cups of warm water

- mix the yeast, sugar and 3 table spoons of the warm water in a small cup until it becomes frothy
- place the rest of the warm water in a large bowl and add oil
- pour over the water/oil mixture the flour
- pour the frothy yeast mix on top
- knead dough until it stops sticking to your fingers.
- add a little bit of flour or water to adjust the dough consistency
- cover the bowl and place in a warm place for at least 1 hr for the dough to rise

spinach filling
- 750 g of frozen chopped spinach, washed and drained really well (squeeze as much  water as you can out of it)
- 1 cup red onions chopped very finely
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp all spice powder
- 1 tbsp sumac
- 6 tbsp lemon juice

mix the above ingredients and use to make little triangular pocket pies using the dough.

meat filling
- 450 g lean ground meat
- 2 onions chopped finely
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp allspice powder
- 2 tbsp veg. oil.
- 2/3 cup chopped tomatoes

fry the onions for 2 min,  then add meat and spices to the onions  and continue frying until the meat is cooked and the water is evaporated.  don't overcook, other wise the meat will be dry.  let the meat cool and drain off any liquid.  add the chopped tomatoes to the meat and mix. 

use the meat filling to make square or round pies - don't fold the dough, just press the meat mixture on top of the dough.

bake at 350F for 15-20 minutes. 

hope this helps.
wassalam
Barr
Sis

Reputation Power: 8
Barr has no influence :(

« Reply #2 on: Oct 27, 2009 12:57 AM »

Wa'alaikumussalam warahmatullah

Jazakillahu khairaa. Will try it out, inshaALlah Smiley

Only thing - are you sure it's 9 cups of flour? Seems like a lot.

Shahida
Sis

Reputation Power: 47
Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)

Hasbi Allah wa ni3mal wakeel!

« Reply #3 on: Oct 27, 2009 07:41 AM »

Salam alaikum

UmAboodi..that sounds so easy!  i love the spinach filling Smiley mmm, yummyyy...

Barr, good luck, and let us know how it turns out...

Salam
S.
um aboodi
Sis

Reputation Power: 26
um aboodi barely matters :(um aboodi barely matters :(

« Reply #4 on: Oct 27, 2009 04:42 PM »

wa alaikum asslam,

Barr, you can use 3 cups of flour and divide everything by three, including the spinach and meat fillings. Or you can use 6 cups and again adjust the ingredients to ~ 2/3 or what they are currently. 

For me the 9 cups of flour will use as much spinach and meat filling as I included.  Of course you can experiment with portions.

Shahida, thanks sis!  Where have you been hiding? 

I feel I should include more instructions on how to fold the dough.

BTW, coat the baking sheets with some olive oil before placing the pies for baking.  Also spread some olive oil on the pies (sparingly) before baking.  You can also brush them with a beaten egg to get them to brown nicely.

wassalam.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: