// a query or two about internet connections....
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: Delusions, like dreams, are dispelled by our awaking to the stern realities of life. - A. R. C. Dallas
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: a query or two about internet connections....  (Read 920 times)
saleem
Bro

Reputation Power: 27
saleem barely matters :(saleem barely matters :(

« on: Oct 20, 2009 04:05 AM »

AoA,

I seem to have fallen behind the info tech curve. I have a question re: internet connections. does getting an internet connection via DSL require the installation of some card etc on the computer or is just a software CD that you runon the computer to install a program which will run the internet connection. Is it possible to use a flash drive to install / run the connection like we might do for some wireless connection.

A second question is regarding billing. the salesman told me that it is essentially unlimited amount of use and the website gives a value of Mbs. I suspect it might mean the number of Mbs I may download from internet being covered by the given base rate with anything over being charged at a higher rate (akin to what we get with the mobile phones). but it doen't really tell me what Mbs mean I mean how do I know when I have reached the limit and what does, say, 160 Mbs mean in terms of how many files I can download esp. given that files these days, esp media files, are gigantic.

thanks in advance for any insight help ppl might be able to offer...
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #1 on: Oct 20, 2009 08:33 AM »

wsalam,

For DSL you do need an internet ethernet card. This usually comes standard on most computers. Look at the back of your laptop/computer and you should see a place where you can plug in your DSL connection (it looks like a bigger telephone connection).

[You could also use DSL to setup a wifi (wireless internet) in your house if you buy a wireless router. ]

Usually the DSL company will give you a CD to install or will come and install your connection themselves.

DSL connections are usually unlimited (you can use it as much as you want) so that's strange they have a cap. MBS usually refers to megabytes per second ie the speed of your connection. a good connection is usually 3 to 7 mbs.

hope that helps... ws  computer
saleem
Bro

Reputation Power: 27
saleem barely matters :(saleem barely matters :(

« Reply #2 on: Oct 20, 2009 12:39 PM »

thank you for the info...

i think I mistook the mbs as a cap - prob its the speed as you suggested...

I think I have the basic info I need...for now

AH

sed
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: