// Poverty in US
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: That some achieve great success, is proof to all that others can achieve it as well.” Abraham Lincoln quote
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Poverty in US  (Read 776 times)
HamzaTR
« on: Oct 21, 2009 01:33 AM »

Poverty in America revised to 1 of 6   Sad

One of six American live in poverty, a new report finds, leading to the implication that the US poverty level is even worse than first believed.

The National Academy of Science (NAS) formula calculates the poverty rate to be at 15.8 percent, or nearly 1 in 6 Americans, according to new estimates released this week. That's higher than the 13.2 percent, or 39.8 million, figure made available recently under the original US government formula, the Associated Press reports.

That government formula was created in 1955 and does not factor in the rising costs of medical care, transportation, child care or the geographical variations of living. Nor does it consider the non-cash governmental aid when calculating income.

According to the revised NAS formula, nearly 18.7 percent of Americans, 65 and older, or nearly 7.1 million, live in poverty, compared to the 9.7 percent, or 3.7 million figure, under the traditional formula. Approximately 14.3 percent of people 18 to 64, or 27 million, live in poverty in the US, compared to 11.7 percent under the traditional calculations. Many of the new poor are the low-income, working people with transportation and child-care costs.

Food stamp assistance is currently at an all-time high of about 36 million.

Source: poverty-in-america-revised-to-1-of-6/
Christine_1208
Sis

Reputation Power: 1
Christine_1208 has no influence :(

« Reply #1 on: Oct 21, 2009 05:45 PM »

One of the major problems in America is that we don't help the right people. Food stamps are at an all-time high, but the system is so abused it upsets me. My brother-in-law chooses not to work, he is perfectly healthy and able, but he does not want "someone to boss him around", my sister, his wife has crohn's disease and was willing to work, but could not and went on disability. They receive close to 600.00 a month in food stamps and assistance. The thing that really angers me is that my Grandmother who is 75 and a widow and has worked and raised four children, can not get food stamps because her husbands pension from the mill is $6.00 over the limit. My Grandmother can not work, she has medical issues as well and she is 75! I have seen her go without medicine and/or food to help save money, and she was too shy to ask me for help till I figured out what she was doing. I am now a single mom of two, working full time, I spend my extra money to make sure Grandma is okay. I myself can not get a dime of help. But if I would quit my job or decide to go part time I could make more money living off the system. Is it just me or is there something very wrong with this situation? I know ppl that are struggling and really need this help but are being turned down because of a few bucks. These are ppl who are working and really want to get back on their feet.  I hate seeing ppl who can work abusing this system. I wish the states would be more active on checking the situations/backgrounds of these ppl.  My ex lives with his Girlfriend they will not marry because if they do the will lose the section 8 housing and the food stamps they get under her name, if they do that then they would not have the extra money to go on weekend getaways with the kids and shop like crazy. I am not jealous because this life is a test and Allah has giving me and my kids all we need to live. I just really hate seeing others suffer, like my grandmother due to anothers laziness/cheating ways... Sorry for the vent  Roll Eyes

I believe in Islam like the sun rising, not because I see it but because by it, I see everything else.
HamzaTR
« Reply #2 on: Oct 23, 2009 10:03 AM »

so sorry to hear that. May Allah help you and yourgrandmother.
I don't understand. what a fool system. as you say they don't help the right people. even if it does, it has some stupidity. with $6 everything changes. sorry, marriages prevented because of getting food stamps..
because of this poverty Americans can't even think about Religion. people can't question anything because of this hunger.
May Allah help you
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: