// Fat vs Trans. Fat
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: "They (the Sufis) have been the strictest adherents to the sacred law, but they have a wonderful principle: that is be hard on yourself and be gentle with other people. - Shaykh Hamza Yusuf
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fat vs Trans. Fat  (Read 4546 times)
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« on: Jan 23, 2008 05:05 PM »

So I went to make some cookies the other day and was looking at margarine versus butter. Margarine had tons of trans fat while butter didn't! And I know trans. fat is really bad. But of course butter has way more calories and stuff. So... I bought butter! I can't remember the difference? Should I buy margarine next time?
cheese
« Reply #1 on: Jan 23, 2008 06:28 PM »

Butter is Hallal, margarine can be Harram.
blackrose
Sis

Reputation Power: 3
blackrose has no influence :(

« Reply #2 on: Jan 23, 2008 10:03 PM »

if you are really worried about all that.. the best thing is to substitute the margerine/butter with  olive or canola oil.. (my nutrition teacher said canola oil is better)
blackrose
Sis

« Reply #3 on: Jan 23, 2008 10:06 PM »

or you could use applesauce instead of butter
jannah
Administrator

jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #4 on: Jan 23, 2008 10:21 PM »

wsalam,

ok i think i understand it a bit better.  btw oil would change the taste and make it gross for cookies. applesauce sounds interesting, but again why make cookies, just eat applesauce right ;0

thanx for the help
ws
Faizah
Sis

Faizah has no influence :(

« Reply #5 on: Jan 24, 2008 01:46 AM »

You could try the butter flavor Crisco baking sticks.  No transfat and no cholesterol, vegetable oil based.   I've never noticed a taste nor texture diffference in what I bake when using it, although when it comes to sweet potatoe pie I won't give up my butter Smiley

Fa'izah
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #6 on: Jan 24, 2008 05:25 AM »

A tablespoon of butter has 100 calories of fat!! Sheesh most recipes at least call for a stick...why do we eat cookies!!  cookie cookie cookie cookie cookie

Sincerely,
cookiemonster

btw as an aside I was looking up the calories of common Indian desserts:
these are for ONE SERVING size!!!

Kheer (rice pudding): 439 calories (75 from fat)

Gulab jamun (sweet tapioca ball things): 1 jamun 143 calories

Gajar ka Halva (carrot sweet thing): Calories 332 (from Fat 174)

Sevaiyyan: (sweet vermicelli) Calories 1369 Calories from Fat 583 (300 if don't use ghee and use lowfat milk and soybean margarine)

Ras Malai: (milk dessert thing) Calories 438 (from Fat 124)

Shankarpale: (diamond shape cookies): 1 cookie Calories 199 (from Fat 84)

WHAT THE HECK!!! How can anyone be Indian and not PHAT!!!

CountlessBlessings
Sis

Reputation Power: 7
CountlessBlessings has no influence :(

« Reply #7 on: Jan 25, 2008 11:49 PM »

Woah is the vermicelli stuff made with heavy cream?  That would explain the calories: carbs (vermicelli and sugar) plus fats (cream).  I've only had it once or twice but it's one of my favorite.  Along with all the other stuff you listed  Roll Eyes
Speaking of calories I'm trying to cut down on bread.  It's really not easy in this country! everything's eaten with bread.  Yesterday I did really well but today no matter what I ate I felt hungry all day.
blackrose
Sis

« Reply #8 on: Jan 26, 2008 01:04 AM »

Woah is the vermicelli stuff made with heavy cream

its made from regular milk..
Faizah
Sis

« Reply #9 on: Jan 26, 2008 03:05 AM »

cookie = tasty     only 1  cookie?  Can it be one of the jumbo kind?  Grin   
a_desert_rose
Sis

Reputation Power: 0
a_desert_rose has no influence :(

« Reply #10 on: Feb 12, 2008 09:54 PM »

Gulab jamun (sweet tapioca ball things): 1 jamun 143 calories

Nooooo! I need the exact size/weight of the gulab jamuns please  Smiley I refuse to accept that I took in 1430 calories in one sitting! By the way, this was a special occasion so no-one call me greedy! Everyone eats on Eid, that's the purpose of it, right?? *folds arms and glares defensively*
Faizah
Sis

« Reply #11 on: Feb 13, 2008 01:48 AM »

By the way, this was a special occasion so no-one call me greedy! Everyone eats on Eid, that's the purpose of it, right?? *folds arms and glares defensively*

This sounds like my theory of partaking of goodies on "Donut Thursdays" at work; those goodies have zero calories Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: