// Eid Nov 27th, 2009
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: You can never have enough garlic. With enough garlic, you can eat The New York Times. - Morley Safer
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Eid Nov 27th, 2009  (Read 2325 times)
Christine_1208
Sis

Reputation Power: 1
Christine_1208 has no influence :(

« on: Oct 23, 2009 05:37 PM »

Assalam alaikom guys,

I feel so silly asking, but what are things I can do for Eid? I will be just me and my 2 kids. I want to make this Eid better than the last one, it did not go so well in September. I want to show my kids how important/special this is. Just I have no idea what I can do. I did offer an invite to my Nana, Dad (he will not come with out my mom, and mom is no longer speaking with me) my sister, her husband & kids, they have declined stating, "we don't belieive in that, and Thanksgiving is the day before." The rest of my family wants nothing to do with me since I left Christianity.

The other thing is I think I have to work. I asked for it off due to religious beliefs, but because it is the week of Thanksgiving they did not know if I could. I even offered to just take it without pay. Inshallah they will grant me the day.

I hate to push my kids and myself on my sisters (in Islam) they are all married and have families of their own, but at the same time I hate spending all these Islamic holidays alone. (Best thing it was last year on Eid I made my Shahada Cheesy ) Ramadan was so hard being alone.

Any tips on how I can manage Eid and even make it most benefical to me as well?? What are somethings you do?

Jazzaki Allahu Khieran

I believe in Islam like the sun rising, not because I see it but because by it, I see everything else.
BrKhalid
Bro

Reputation Power: 27
BrKhalid barely matters :(BrKhalid barely matters :(

« Reply #1 on: Oct 25, 2009 05:56 AM »

Asalaamu Alaikum  bro

I'm sure there was a nice thread from Sr Kathy outlining some fun stuff you could do with your kids over Eid ul Adha but not sure where exactly in the archives....

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]
Sr.Kathy
Sis

Reputation Power: 18
Sr.Kathy has no influence :(

« Reply #2 on: Oct 26, 2009 04:18 PM »

As salaamu alaykum
This Eid is my favorite holiday. I just love the stories that go with Hajj. Once you begin telling the kids the stories and learning the deeper meanings about them you'll love it too. And... your family, as Christians will be able to relate to almost all of it!

When my son was little I would teach him all about the different stations/ rites of the Pilgrimage. I would do one station a day, 10 days before Eid. This has continued until present day where I have the little kids 'experience' the rites at the masjid- we call it The Hajj Experience. I will attach the play we use. (For older members this play has been revised because we are going to be using three puppets this year, Insha Allah.

You can read about each station to your kids from the play

At the Ihram station we give out handmade passports, have them choose their mode of transportation and stamp it in the passport. We then drape over them some white cloth for Ihram clothes. We make them pay a bill of their choice with fake money, make a card saying sorry to someone (asking forgiveness).

Meeqat station- they practice their "Labbayks..." in English as well.

Kaba Station- walk around a kaba, pointing and learning to say Allahu Akbar

Saiy Station- running back and forth between two fake mountains  saying "li illah il Allah". We would give kids dates and zam zam- back in the day we could get it.

Mina Station- pretending to sleep and doing tasbih

Arafat- teach the kids how to ask for what they want and to ask Allah for forgiveness

Muzdelipha Station- A shadow puppet show to go with the story

Jumarrat Station- Pick up pebbles and then throw them at some cardboard jumarats.

Eid station- listen to story- get presents ( black bag with gold trim- has a compass in it)and snip a piece of hair.

LOL… I really edited and condensed this... but it is enough to get you and your kids started for this year. You can add more details every year.

"Allah surely knows the warmth of every teardrop... " Jaihoon
Christine_1208
Sis

« Reply #3 on: Oct 26, 2009 05:00 PM »

Thanks Guys, guess I better learn more. I don't know about the rites or anything about what you stated Sad  Never really thought about it since hajj is way off in the future, and that is if I get to go. Inshallah I will.

I just spent the last year teaching myself to pray and dealt with the covering in hijab and all the other things that come along with reverting to Islam that first year. I love Islam with all my heart! It took me 13+  years of researching. I honestly had no teachers, one reason I joined this site. The last 10 1/2  months have I have been finding myself at times overwhelmed and alone. Even landed myself in a bad situation, 7 months ago, marrying an muslim who fasted and prayed, but decided he did not want a wife and left last month. Told the Imam I was a great wife, just he could not fulfill any rights to me so he had to leave. Sorry .. I should not be complaining about it, Alhamdulillah. Allah knows best. But it is one reason I need to show my children the beauty of Islam and the holidays we celebrate. Who we are and how we behave. My family and children.. I don't want them to judge everything on this one situation.  I just want to be patient and strong.

I am finding all these little things that I just don't know about yet, Inshallah in time.

Thanks and again sorry for the little venting session.

I believe in Islam like the sun rising, not because I see it but because by it, I see everything else.
Nafs
« Reply #4 on: Oct 28, 2009 07:48 AM »

Hey Walaikum Asalaam sis =)

Welcome to the site Cheesy (my first time meeting you I believe ...)

As far as spending the time with other sisters ..I am sure no one would think you are imposing or anything like that ...find out if they are having any community events...otherwise maybe you and some sisters can get together and do something together InshaAllah?

Sr Kathy has wonderful ideas as well ..and thatd be informative as well as beneficial too ..

who said you can't do both InshaAllah Cheesy

may Allah tala protect you and shower you with many blessings InshaAllah
se7en
Sis

Reputation Power: 11
se7en has no influence :(

« Reply #5 on: Oct 29, 2009 10:16 PM »

as salaamu alaykum,

I always try to make it a point to decorate for Eid, put up lights, balloons, streamers, etc... it gives a very festive feeling  Kiss  Also PRESENTS.  They are very important for the kids (...and the adults too Tongue)

You can even buy special Eid Mubarak decorations, check them out here: http://www.noorart.com/shop_category?search=eid+decorations

salaam Smiley

Christine_1208
Sis

« Reply #6 on: Oct 30, 2009 04:37 PM »

Thank you so much for that site! I will check it out Smiley

timbuktu
« Reply #7 on: Oct 31, 2009 02:27 PM »

peace be upon you

Sr. Kathy, this is an amazing thing you are doing. Only Allah (swt) can give you the rewards for this.

Back in the days of Ziaul Haq, in Rawalpindi there was a homeopath doctor, who built a model (about three feet high), of the Ka`aba, complete with gold embroidered black cover, hajre aswad, rukne Yemeni, the door of Ka`aba, Hateem, etc. He then started instructing people who were going for Hajj. He would make the tawaf, going round his model, but for all the other bits he did not have a model. He himself had not been for Hajj, but the training was so popular that eventually Zia got to hear of it, and sent the good doctor at state expense for Hajj.

When I went for Hajj, the gentleman was already dead, but video (the old VHS tapes) had become quite entrenched, and he had been able to make a video of his instructions for those who could not attend his training course. His sons were now giving the instructions, and I got this video from them. Then the Ministry of Religious and Minority Affairs got interested, and they also made a video with actual Hajj experience as instructions, and that helped me, too.

Would it be possible for you to get someone to videotape your puppet show for Hajj and other instructions. I think it would be immensely popular, and you will be able to reach more children.

timbuktu
« Reply #8 on: Oct 31, 2009 02:41 PM »

peace be upon you

And Sr. Christine, why do we have this holiday? what is the significance of Hajj, and the sacrifice? These were told to us in story form, and that has stayed with us throughout. I cannot myself make any recomendations of any children's books on such subjects, but I am sure others on this board can.

At one time I was asked to write short stories for children with an Islamic perspective, but my eyes were terribly bad, and it took me ages to do one small story. In any case I think others are better equipped for that. There must be some who have tried to fill this void.
Christine_1208
Sis

« Reply #9 on: Nov 06, 2009 06:18 PM »

Thanks guys I did some research on Eid and Hajj. When I converted last year I was told something different about Eid from a sister. I convert for Allah not the holidays so I am still learning. I remember being told it was because Abraham (saw) was to sacrifice Ishmael (saw). I never looked into it any further. I was to busy learning about Prophet Muhammad (saaw) and how to pray learning Qu'ran. It just appeared to me when I first made this post I was horribly wrong! I feel sooooo silly. I need more muslims in my life....lol. Any way I am a graphic artist, maybe I should start creating books for kids... Inshallah. I will try and post some ideas here, if Jannah does not mind of course. I could use some help and opinions then post them as PDFs for other muslims families to use. Thanks so much and May allah reward you for your help and kindness, the great sites and the AWESOME puppet idea!!

I also came across some great pictures that touch my heart. I pray to Allah (swt) that EVERY muslim gets to go to Hajj! I want to go one day with all my heart.

What is Hajj?
“Imagine 35 superbowls going on at once, and everyone is participating.”

Christine_1208
Sis

« Reply #10 on: Nov 09, 2009 06:17 PM »

Hey guys I have to share my news!!! My family has recosidered my invitation.. They are all coming to my house for dinner on EID!! I am so excited, I had to share!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: