Madinat al-Muslimeen Community

Login with username, password and session length

From the news...

Friends, Rumi, countrymen, lend me your poetry.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Medical school bliss . . . . .  (Read 2097 times)
WCoastbaba
Bro

Reputation Power: 51
WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)

« on: Oct 27, 2009 08:12 PM »

I don't know how far this thread can go - maybe I'll post further experiences here in the future when they come, but I just had to share this feeling with all of you and not just keep it between the 3 classmates I was with today.

So, we had a practice at a hospital that lies in Prague city center itself, though actually a bit down river from the main part of the city. This is a hospital just for new-borns and is where practices for our Pediatrics course - Neonatology specifically are held. We've had some time there in the past years as well, but otherwise we do most of our practice work on our own campus hospital.

Anyways, today it was myself and 3 female classmates - all Norwegian I might add (currently, we all go to this hospital, but just sign up for different days/timings). We had a young doctor show us around the unit, show us the "baby box" where babies are first brought after entering this world, so they can be checked-up and if the need arises for any type of resuscitation, that can be taken care of right there, as it's just through a door-way from the delivery room.

We also, as we did last year, were taken to see some of the premature babies and were told about their stories' we asked their prognosis, or tried to recall some knowledge about which milestones occurred in which week of gestation and the like.

At one point, we were in a room full of newborns and there wre three crying out at the top of their lungs (at least that what it seemed like), but it was beautiful in a way, because it made me realize why we were there - sometimes, the stress and occasional (or rather regular, but that we are now used to) annoyances of going to school in a foreign nation, where the quality of teaching can fluctuate depending on the department or teachers, can make things seem far less pleasant than they should be.

The main reason, or at least the one thing that made this day so great and had the 4 of us on a natural high of sorts, was that we were able to witness a Cesarean-section delivery -----with one slight note - - -only two of us good go in the room; so yours truly and one of my classmates, seeing that the other two were quite excited, told them there was no need to draw names and told them to just go, as we would have plenty of future opportunities in the future, as we have a gynecology course still to come as well as summer practices to do on our own.

Anyways, still there was still some pleasure for the two of us; as we were in that examination room next to the delievery room, we say the baby fresh out of the uterus, as it was brought to me measured and weighed, etc. WE SAW THE BABY EVEN BEFORE THE FATHER - who, just a few moments later, walked in to see his child for the first time - I admit, I felt a bit emotional as we saw him stroke his child's cheek for the first time. I am not afraid to say I'm a softie when it comes to babies - my late father himself delivered babies, so I've always felt a connection to this whole field of medicine, but sorry - don't think I'll be going into OB/GYNB (obstetrics and gynecology) or in layman's terms - the doctor for the ladies. Yes, I love babies, but not really interested in that area of the human function or anatomy for that matter! Bless my father for having the ability to do that and waking up at odd hours; of course, each time I see a new-born, it just reminds me of Allah's (swt) great gift of life and the miracle that each birth is, especially when the baby is healthy, as there are so many things that can go wrong, Subhan'Allah.

Ma'salaam

desibro
BABA

The Believers, men and women, are protectors one of another:  [9:71]
Nafs
« Reply #1 on: Oct 28, 2009 07:58 AM »

Thank you for sharing your experience and thoughts with us ...

May you and everyone else succeed InshaAllah.
Shahida
Sis

Reputation Power: 47
Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)

Hasbi Allah wa ni3mal wakeel!

« Reply #2 on: Oct 28, 2009 01:41 PM »

Salam alaikum bro

that was lovely...it's nice hearing stories from students still at med school! and to see that you are stil enthusiastic about everything is really great mashaAllah!  Smiley

Obs/Gynae was never my area of interest either! But I remember the first time I saw a baby being born, sub7anAllah, it was *amazing*. made me whoozy and I almost fainted, but it got better from there Wink

Good luck with your studies, and do post your experiences...
May Allah swt bless you with success
Salam
S.
Blessedgrandma
Sis

Reputation Power: 6
Blessedgrandma has no influence :(

« Reply #3 on: Oct 28, 2009 07:52 PM »

Brother, thank you for sharing that with us and I hope as you continue
your education you'll share more.
What a blessing to spend some time in the OB unit.
I'm so excited and looking forward to my midwife internship in Jan.
I had thought of maybe continueing toward becoming a doctor myself.
Sadly I didn't have this desire when I was younger, I'm soon to be 48 and
if I did I'd be nearing my 60's when I finished so no sense trying.
I'll just be content being a 'baby catcher' as we call it.
I have two  90 day internships and another year of school before I can apply to take my state exam.
I know it takes years and years to become a doctor, how much longer
do you have to go?  May Allah make your schooling easy and a pleasure and your career a success. purplehijabisis
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #4 on: Oct 29, 2009 04:53 AM »

ws,

definitely sounds amazing. every time i go to a baby ward i have to say subhanAllah. btw there was a 1 pound muslim baby born here premature and he was hooked up to all these things but he is sooo much better now ma'shaAllah!! and i think she'll be taking him home next week. what a miracle!
WCoastbaba
Bro

WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)

« Reply #5 on: Sep 27, 2010 09:38 PM »

As salaamu alaikum all - Well, I had another amazing experience today - and yes, it was in the same department - the delivery ward, though this time, at my school's hospital; the previous episode that I wrote about above was at a hospital in Prague center.

Just to give you some background, one of the requirements for our 5th year (as with other years, though in different departments, either here/abroad or back home if possible) is to participate in summer practicals. So for 5th year (the preceding year for me) is to spend some time in a gynecological ward.

One of my classmates was also doing this and had actually started last week, so I joined her from today (she's one of my best friends, btw). We started off by just observing some basic examinations - watching women get ultrasound check-ups - checking for bi-temporal distance, femur length - among other signs, that are monitored for normal growth of the fetus. Also, being checked were the blood vessels, the position of the placenta, amount of amniotic fluid (slight decreased, but still ok in the patient that we saw)  and other parameters.

Anyways, we then headed upstairs to where surgeries and deliveries take place. We were told there was one procedure about to talk place, so we entered the room to observe. The procedure, unfortunately for us (this classmate and friend of mine is also a person of Faith, a Christian) was an abortion.  Sad Sad Sad

We were told that there were 4 ladies that were being monitored as they approached the time for delivery. The most likely one to delivery in a short-time was a very obese woman who was already more than 40 weeks along.

After a bit of a wait, we were told she was going to undergo a Cesarean section or more commonly referred to as a C-section. Similarly to my last entry, there was limited space and since my classmate had already seen a delivery, so I changed into those blue scrubs that I am sure many of you are familiar with from Scrubs, ER and other medical shows.  Smiley

As the preparations were made, I stood by, with medical hat and mask in position. Once the patient was ready, the cutting began (won't go into the details here) and after some effort by the two doctors performing the operation, the uterine wall became visible, a final incision was made - much blood came streaming out, followed by a fountain of clear fluid - the amniotic fluid and in a few moments, I saw the hair on the head of the little boy and a few seconds later, he was out! A nurse just next to me had a clean sterile cloth, into which the baby was placed and was taken just in the next room (which I could also see, as I was just in between the smaller and larger rooms) and he was cleaned and slowly, the pinkish color appeared, as he was more purplish/dark upon arrival and then after a few minutes, his first cries . . . .pretty amazing. He was then wrapped up snugly in clean white fabric and other coverings and taken out by the nurse. I have to admit, I had tears in my eyes, as it was my first delivery/birth and for those of you I've told. my father was an OB/GYN, so I thought of him, how he must have seen this so often, this miracle of a new life entering the world (though he did tend to complain about the hours, but I think we can all sympathize with that, getting up at 2am to head to the hospital and the delivery not happening maybe until 6am at times!  Smiley

So in short, that was my experience today - it is a holiday here tomorrow, so won't be going in, but if I see anything more that I feel would be nice to share, I will certainly do so. Otherwise, please keep me in your du'a, as my final year begins next week.

Jazak'Allahu Khairan for reading.

BABA
 desibro

Shahida
Sis

Reputation Power: 47
Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)

Hasbi Allah wa ni3mal wakeel!

« Reply #6 on: Sep 28, 2010 07:39 AM »

Salam alaikum brother...

aww, ur stories always bring back such memories... Smiley

I was in 3rd year the first time I witnessed a baby being born.  I felt so hot and almost passed out !!  Embarrassed  all the while thinking, oh Allah, how am I going to handle this?! hehe.  Now, many years later, I smile about it, cuz it was really a beautiful and amazing moment, alhamdulillah.  C/sections are better though Wink  I worked in neonates for a long while, and had to be present at all C/S...which at 2am was not such a pleasant experience after all.  I was the one making the baby breath and become pink Wink  alhamdulillah, most of the time, things worked out perfectly.

i wish you every success, and hope that all your experiences will fill you with kind and good memories.  and good luck with your final year!!!

Salam
S.
WCoastbaba
Bro

« Reply #7 on: Mar 14, 2011 12:21 PM »

Jazak'Allahu Khairan / thanks so much for sharing your experiences and for the warm and kind wishes. It means a lot.

I have to admit, things have been rough lately, but insha'allah, just have to work harder and things will improve.

Just wanted to share something briefly - we are currently doing a boring course called preventative medicine - though it is mostly lectures and no practical experience of course - we did get to visit a center in another part of Prague today.

What did we do today you ask?

We were informed about some baby care during the short talk and then we were able to observe mothers breastfeeding - this was something I had always wanted to see - coming from the background that we all do, it was something very beautiful I have to admit, though the purpose today was to learn about the proper technique, so that the baby latches on well, thus resulting in adequate feeding. So we visited a few mothers who were ready to feed - of course, it was quite technical, as the doctor showed us the proper way in which to position the baby, and correct the mistakes of the mothers, as one in particular was young and didn't know the exact proper way and then even with an experienced mother (2nd child) also helping her to make things more efficient, etc.

My female classmates were saying that it was actually useful information, because they are always told "oh it'll be fine, it's no problem, etc" by others . . . .

Anyways, just a new experience and something that was still on my "check-list" of sorts to see during my student life.

BABA
 desibro

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: