Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: One who seeks the unseekable cannot subsequently be accused of negligence in seeking what is seekable. -Hujjat al-Islam (the Proof of Islam) Imam Al-Ghazali
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Another attack leaves US Muslims fearing backlash  (Read 4089 times)
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« on: Nov 07, 2009 10:20 AM »

My sentiments exactly. Another setback for American Muslims Sad -- J.

=========================

Another attack leaves US Muslims fearing backlash

As word spread that a gunman had opened fire at Fort Hood leaving a trail of carnage, a chilling realization swept across the U.S. Muslim community: He has an Islamic name.

From a professor who just testified in Congress, to a White House adviser appearing before a Jewish group and a former Marine driving home from work, Muslims across the country were shocked, angry and afraid that the attack would erode efforts to erase anti-Islamic stereotypes.

Many Islamic leaders said the Fort Hood tragedy that left 13 dead and 30 wounded including the alleged gunman, Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan, could likely post the sternest test for U.S. Muslims since the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks.

"A lot of us work very hard for this country, to make America a better place," said Muqtedar Khan, a progressive Muslim scholar who has just given Congressional testimony on U.S. foreign policy in Afghanistan before Thursday's attack. "And this one nut like Maj. Hasan comes along and in one crazy episode of a few seconds he undermines these years and years of hard work we are doing to make American Muslims part of the mainstream in the community."

Hasan, an Army psychiatrist, is a Muslim who attended his former mosque daily and had an "Allah is Love" bumper sticker on his car. Soldiers reported Friday that the shooter shouted "Allahu Akbar!" — Arabic for "God is great!" — during the rampage.

Other troubling details also emerged, including reports that authorities suspect Hasan posted online messages about suicide bombers and violence, was struggling with a pending deployment to Afghanistan and was being harassed in the Army for being a Muslim.

While a motive remains unclear, the confirmation of Hasan's faith alone prompted major Muslim groups and mosques to issue statements condemning the killings as contrary to Islam and praising the service of the many Muslim Americans in the U.S. military.

Of immediate concern was security at mosques Friday, Islam's main day of communal prayer.

In Washington, Chicago and elsewhere, mosques asked police for extra patrols. In Garden Grove, Calif., officers stood watch outside a mosque as a precaution.

Muslim leaders warned people to be vigilant and avoid exposing themselves unnecessarily — including walking alone, said Hussam Ayloush, director of the Council on American-Islamic Relations in Southern California.

"This is one of those moments where we have to sit and pray that most Americans will come out stronger, more united, and more tolerant," said Ayloush, adding that Muslim organizations have received dozens of death threats and hate e-mail.

At the Muslim Community Center in Silver Spring, Md., which Hasan attended before moving to Fort Hood, Imam Mohamed Abdullahi urged worshippers Friday to tell their non-Muslim neighbors that Islam was not responsible for the deaths. He also advised them to keep their tempers in check.

"Whenever we hear the name turns out to be Arabic or Muslim we feel a double shock" about such incidents. "And then we worry about backlash," said Imam Mostafa Al-Qazwini of the Islamic Educational Center of Orange County in Costa Mesa, Calif.

U.S. Rep. Andre Carson, an Indiana Democrat who is one of two Muslims serving in Congress, cautioned against focusing on the alleged shooter's religion and instead said the discussion should be about mental health issues.

"This is no way a reflection of Islam any more than Timothy McVeigh's actions are a reflection of Christianity," said Carson, who supervised an anti-terrorism unit in Indiana's Department of Homeland Security and comes from a family of Marines.

Eboo Patel, the executive director of Chicago-based Interfaith Youth Core, had just spoken at a Union of Reform Judaism conference in Toronto on Thursday night when a rabbi told him: "The guy had a Muslim name."

"I had just spoken from the tradition of Islam ... on the importance of interfaith cooperation and building Muslim-Jewish bridges," said Patel, who sits on a White House faith-based advisory board. "I wish that was viewed as reflective of Islam instead of a deranged lunatic who was acting only in the tradition of deranged lunacy, not in the tradition of any faith."

But other Muslims were weary of what has become a routine: a Muslim does something unspeakable, and Islamic organizations issue statements condemning it.

"Truth be told, we're getting a little exhausted because we've done this to death," said Robert Salaam of Maryland, a former Marine who converted to Islam shortly after the 9-11 attacks and now blogs and hosts a radio show on Muslim affairs. "We're apologizing for people we don't know."

Still, driving home from work listening to the news Thursday, Salaam thought: "God, I hope it's not a Muslim."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091107/ap_on_re/us_rel_fort_hood_shooting_muslims
WCoastbaba
Bro

Reputation Power: 51
WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)

« Reply #1 on: Nov 07, 2009 02:28 PM »

salaam - I was actually waiting for you, Sis Jannah, or another one of the members to put up a post on this. Indeed, this both saddened and angered me upon hearing this. I'm both scared of what my happen to the good efforts many of our communities have put forth to improve relations with our neighbors. I've seen this effort first hand in my city, so it would be truly heartbreaking if these were to be damaged or even lost.

To be honest, I have no empathy or sympathy for this man - maybe its my anger, but this could have been prevented. If he was truly religious, he could have remembered his Lord and known that killing those 13 colleagues of his would be a great sin and that he should have been patient and kept trying to get discharged or at least removed from his obligations, even if it meant jail - that would be better for him than taking the lives of innocent people, who were putting their lives on the line and in fact, looked to him for assistance as a psychiatrist.

On that note, there have been other cases have army psychiatrists "snapping" themselves and harming their comrades. We also saw the other "Muslim" who through a grenade into a tent overseas not too long ago. I will maybe write more later, but again, at this time, its my anger that is the overwhelming feeling. Of course, me sadness is for those 13 and their families.

Ma'salaam

desibro
BABA

UPDATE: I'm seeing more clips suggesting that there is a strong possibility that mental illness could have been a strong factor (which of course, is always there in such events), especially since he was being harassed by his colleagues. Also, there was interview with a psychiatrist on CNN and she answered in the affirmative when asked can the doctors treating patients with PTSD can "suffer along with their patients?" My earlier statements might seem out of tune with the fact I'm a medical student, but I did mention that this could have been prevented, both my Hasan himself on the psychiatric side of things or by the Imam who realized his thinking had changed; though as the Dr in the interview mentioned, sometimes we lose the natural ability to overcome our urges and then, in the way animals do, to just follow their instincts and not have the control that we, as "higher" animals have been given by Allah (swt) Himself. Anyways, just some more thoughts. While I may soften (not to mention others) towards the situation if it is found out, once he regains consciousness, that it was more mental rather than religious issues at play, it sitll won't take away the pain anyone of us feels that both a Muslim committed this crime and that such promising and in many cases, young lives were ended - not even on the battlefield - but at home. To be honest, I feel confused, in terms of feelings - we are already in a sad state as it is, as Sis J mentioned in another thread about a letter that a Bro wrote to express how Muslim feel about the treatment we get from the public/media. I guess time will only tell the full picture. Again, Ma'salaam

The Believers, men and women, are protectors one of another:  [9:71]
WCoastbaba
Bro

WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)

« Reply #2 on: Nov 07, 2009 03:52 PM »

Suspect asked for advice on going to fight Muslims
By ANGELA K. BROWN, AP
FORT HOOD, Texas — A Muslim leader says the Army psychiatrist suspected of going on a shooting rampage at Fort Hood asked him for advice on what he should tell soldiers who had concerns about going to fight Muslims in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Osman Danquah (oos-MAHN' dahn-KWAH') is the co-founder of the Islamic Community of Greater Killeen. He says he had a bad feeling about Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan after the two talked twice in late summer.

He told The Associated Press on Saturday that Hasan regularly attended services at the mosque in his uniform.

Danquah says Hasan never mentioned any anger toward the Army or indicated any plans for violence but seemed incoherent during their second conversation.

Danquah says he told Hasan that there was "something wrong with you."

Copyright 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

moe19x
Bro

Reputation Power: 4
moe19x has no influence :(

« Reply #3 on: Nov 07, 2009 04:27 PM »

Was massacre suspect a jihadist?
By PETER WORTHINGTON

Last Updated: 7th November 2009, 5:03am

One thing not being mentioned openly about the Fort Hood massacre of 13 American soldiers and the wounding of 30 others, is whether this was a version of suicide bombing.

That is, was the suspect, Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan, something of a Jihadist "sleeper" intent on replicating a suicide bomber to maximize his opposition to the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan?

We don't know ... yet ... but it's a spectre so alarming one hardly dares contemplate its possibility.

All that is acknowledged about Maj. Hasan (he was promoted last spring) is that he's a Muslim whose parents are Palestinian immigrants and that he got his medical degree and psychiatric training through the army. Also, he was "quiet and reserved" (as all loony killers seem to be) and dreaded being assigned to go to Iraq.

Well, he needn't worry about that any more -- he ain't going anywhere.

Also stressed, as if it had anything to do with his actions, is he felt harassed and mocked because of his religion -- something that is difficult to swallow, considering he was an army officer, and army officers are not usually picked on by bullies.

Hasan may well be a mental case who simply broke -- but why he felt required to kill fellow soldiers if he wasn't ideologically, politically or religiously motivated remains a puzzle.

Also puzzling is how he managed to shoot so many people with two handguns, one of which was a machine pistol. The soldiers he shot were unarmed in a building doing administrative tasks, while in an adjoining auditorium 140 troops were gathering for college graduation ceremonies.

A police woman apparently returned Hasan's fire, wounded him, and was herself wounded. Brave woman. Hasan was initially reported killed.

Fort Hood has had its share of incidents over the years, and is the world's largest military base -- temporary home for 45,000 soldiers, including many returned wounded from Iraq and Afghanistan, some of whom were Hasan's patients for post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).

One who knows Fort Hood well is Canadian Gen. Walter Natynczyk, Chief of Defence Staff, who, in 2004, was Deputy Commanding General of III Corps at Fort Hood, and served in that capacity in Iraq when the Canadian government was refusing to join the American war there.

The "coincidence," (if that's what it is) of an American officer going berserk at Fort Hood who just happens to be a devout Muslim, is disquieting, to say the least.

'ALLAHU AKBAR!'

Soldiers reported the gunman shouted "Allahu Akbar!" -- an Arabic phrase for "God is great!" -- before opening fire.

It brings to mind the incident in June at a Little Rock, Arkansas, recruiting centre where a convert to Islam who had changed his name to Abdulhakim Mujahid Muhammad, shot and killed one American soldier and wounded another.

And remember the infamous British shoe bomber Richard Reid was a convert to Islam, as was American John Walker who joined al-Qaida and was captured in Afghanistan. At least Hasan wasn't a convert. But is he a deep-cover terrorist? Dunno.

Everyone hopes Nidal Hasan is not a jihadist but a mental case -- as he seems to be, judging from the shock and dismay expressed by his family. The FBI is treating the shootings as a crime and not terrorism.

One hopes they are correct, and not taking the easy way out as they did when they labelled the 1993 World Trade Centre bombing as a "crime" and not as "terrorism."
Abdurahman
Bro

Abdurahman has no influence :(

Oh Allah, Guide us to the Straight Path.

« Reply #4 on: Nov 09, 2009 04:16 AM »

Asalamualaikum wrt wb,

To all media outlets:

All praise be to Allah.

It is not permissable for a person to betray his contracts and oaths, even if it is against his enemy.  The Prophet Muhammad alayhi as salaam never betrayed his contracts, not even against the Quraysh who tortured and killed his companions.  He kept his word and his contracts and oaths.  Islam teaches Muslims to fulfill their contracts and never betray their oaths, Allah Most High says:

(ٍSurah Anfal,V 72) وَإِنِ اسْتَنْصَرُوكُمْ فِي الدِّينِ فَعَلَيْكُمُ النَّصْرُ إِلَّا عَلَى قَوْمٍ بَيْنَكُمْ وَبَيْنَهُمْ مِيثَاقٌ وَاللَّهُ بِمَا تَعْمَلُونَ بَصِيرٌ

"And if they (the Muslims) seek your brotherly assistance, then you must help them, except against a people (non-Muslims) with which there is between you and them a Mithaaq (contract)."

And Allah Most High says:

"Oh you who believe:  Fulfill your contracts."

It is not permissible for a person to enter a land as a mustaman (one who has been granted saftey) and then slay those whom he promised not to harm.

The Prophet alayhi asalaam stated in an authentic narration:

"Whoever grants an oath of safety to a person over his life and wealth, and then kills him, then I am free from the killer, even if the one killed was a non-Muslim."

And Allah knows best.

Be merciful to those on earth, and the One in the Heavens will be merciful to you.
lucid
Bro

Reputation Power: 15
lucid has no influence :(

« Reply #5 on: Nov 09, 2009 07:12 PM »

if you read the media reports by say the guardian, etc.. it says he praised suicide bombings.  however, if you go to the links of his apparent praisings (the links are in the guardian) then it forwards you to a scribd article.  curiously, this article roundly condemns suicide bombings.

it is really bizarre that the media could be so incredibly ignorant not to know the difference between advocating and condemning suicide bombing.

the whole thing smells funny.  how could reports saying he praised suicide bombings come out so quickly (from the goverment) when in fact in typical establishment type salafi reasoning he is condemning it?

strange....
Christine_1208
Sis

Reputation Power: 1
Christine_1208 has no influence :(

« Reply #6 on: Nov 10, 2009 04:52 PM »

I just wish this type of ludicrous behavior would stop.

Wonder what religion Jason Rodriguez (the man in the Florida shootings) was, funny no one mentions that.

I am a revert and I am trying to patch problems with my family that have increased with these types of actions. I feel so angry. I want to smack this guy.

Most men can walk around and no one knows you are Muslim, I wear a target in the form of a scarf on my head and I hate this feeling of not being safe. My nana cries for me to take off my scarf, she is afraid someone will take their ignorance out on me. It is so frustrating to me. I want to live my life for Allah and not be the focus of anti-islam stares. The looks I have been receiving on the way home from work can be un-nerving. It is a 2 block walk to my house at 7:30 PM from the bus stop.  It should not be this way ... Sad  To me this man is out of the folds of Islam, I have not sympathy for him. I am so sorry for the families and us American Muslims who have to constantly clean up the mess!

I believe in Islam like the sun rising, not because I see it but because by it, I see everything else.
WCoastbaba
Bro

« Reply #7 on: Nov 10, 2009 06:18 PM »

I have not sympathy for him. I am so sorry for the families and us American Muslims who have to constantly clean up the mess!

Salam Sis - totally agree with you. Many are quoting the example of the Orlando shooter. I even saw an interview where this was mentioned, that why they, the media themselves, don't mention or eventhe police don't mention the Faith of the individual unless he's Muslim. I recall the examples of Timothy McVeigh and David Koresh.

Anyways, I'm sorry to hear the continued difficulties with your family and the hijab issue. Ma'sha'allah, you and many other Sisters, especially, in my view, the newer Sisters, have much to deal with and its admirable to go out and face the staring, etc, though I know its not pleasant. I'm in Europe studying and once, after E'id Salah, I kept my Kufi on and I admit, my heart was beating faster and I think I got a few stares, though it was still early, so yeah, "props" (= RESPECT) to all you ladies!

Ma'salaam
 desibro

Christine_1208
Sis

Reputation Power: 1
Christine_1208 has no influence :(

« Reply #8 on: Nov 10, 2009 09:17 PM »

"props" (= RESPECT) to all you ladies!

Thanks brother. I am sure all of us sisters struggle and though we may complain or get frustrated; I for one know I would never have it any other way. For us it is worth finding the truth. I am sure many struggle with families and co-workers, friends, single life or marriage. I know a sister who choose Allah over her husband, she gave him a year to convert, and then left the marriage. She is happily married to a good muslim husband Smiley

There is just a fear within America in the high ranks, so they have to paint a picture of Islam as they seem fit. Think about it.. What happens if America became more Islamic?? There goes a large portion of produce that contains pork. The banks are in big trouble. The entertainment industry would crumble.. no bars and clubs, porn industry, useless tv programming, music. How will anyone sell anything without some 1/2 naked girl pushing the product. Interest on educational loans and personal loans from lending companies. Insurance companies, Mortgages and auto loans. Taxes and healthcare. Every aspect of American society would go through a tremendous change. Imagine the amount of money lost from Americans not celebrating Christmas alone. I know I saved over $500.00... lol
That is too much money for the fat cats to lose. That and then there is Israel.. whole other topic!

I believe in Islam like the sun rising, not because I see it but because by it, I see everything else.
Abdurahman
Bro

« Reply #9 on: Nov 11, 2009 04:18 AM »

Asalamualaikum wrt wb,

All praise be to Allah.

If a country moves towards Islam, peace, love, and justice would prevail.  Hatred, racism, oppression, and poverty would be annihilated.  Truth and honesty would be the rule, not the exception.  This is what happened in a span of less then 30 years after the time of the Prophet, pbuh.  Men who were once shepherds roaming the land became scholars of law and justice, ruling nations.

I pray that this incident be a wake up call for all Muslims to do their duty and convey the true message of Islam to others in society.

And Allah knows best.

Be merciful to those on earth, and the One in the Heavens will be merciful to you.
jannah
Administrator

jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #10 on: Nov 11, 2009 07:31 AM »

It's been a tough week for Muslims in the US. The whole Ft. Hood tragedy along with all these "links" now building up against various ppl including sh. awlaki and trying to make this into another 'jihadist' event. And at the same time the DC sniper with the name Muhammad as a "muslim convert" mentioned in every article being executed. Just an ugly week. Let's hope it calms down and we can get back to some normalcy and real dawah.
tq
Sis

Reputation Power: 18
tq has no influence :(

« Reply #11 on: Nov 11, 2009 01:13 PM »

Assalamo elikuim
I agree with Jannah .
Did anyone see Andersen Cooper 360 yesterday ? After the fort Hood story (basically saying that it might be a case of mental breakdown or maybe not since they are still looking for evidence) they showed a group in NY who praises OBL infront of a masjid (I missed the name of the masjid). The imam from the masjid said that we have called police couple of time to move them away but police basically said that they cant do much since its freedom of expression(and so many people are in jail because they wrote something stupid on some crazy website ??) They interview the two guys from the group, both of them converts one from Judaism and from Israel and they say that its in Quran that Muslim should terrorize non-muslim Huh?
I am suprised that the homeland security personnel are not doing anything about it but when some Muslim teenager or a regular Muslim post/rant something, they get 40years jail time??

Wasalam
tq
doninapond
« Reply #12 on: Nov 14, 2009 06:49 PM »

I really can't see what all the fuss is about?

The fighting didn't happen in a school, it happened in a military base!
The people who were killed were not children, they were soldiers!

When people become soldiers do they think they are only doing their job when they kill but people who kill them back are terrorists?

I have a question. Please reply:
If our brother who did this, went to Iraq and Afghanistan like he was ordered to, and did this to our brothers and sisters in Afghanistan and Iraq like he was ordered to. Will you be more upset? Will you be less upset?
Or will you be filled with pride, because the Kaffir will love him and you would be able to tell all the kaffir in your country what good citizens Muslims are and how American Muslims kill their Iraqi and Afghan Brothers whenever Israel asks.  If he obeyed his orders and killed his brothers would that be better than this?

Some people mentioned that maybe all the attacks on Islam by the people he killed made him do it.
That seeing pages of the Quran used as toilet paper by the people he later killed may have been too much for him?
Did he get tired of hearing the people he later killed boast about killing his brothers and raping his sisters and break?
Or was it things like this that caused him to break?

I don't think it was any of these things. He was a soldiers. His job was to kill. He was trained to kill, and paid to kill. He was ordered to kill. The only thing people find so shocking is instead of killing his brothers as he was ordered he killed the people who are killing his brothers.

For some reason, I don't find is surprising.
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #13 on: Nov 14, 2009 07:37 PM »

From suhaibwebb.com:

Muslim Americans Must Obey U.S. Laws; Nidal Hasan Disobeyed Islamic Doctrine

The Islamophobic blogosphere has gone buck-wild. Robert Spencer, Pamela Geller, and the rest of the goof troop are pretty ecstatic that Major Nidal Hasan, a Muslim American, killed thirteen U.S. soldiers at Fort Hood. Nothing makes a neo-conservative happier than an attack on American soil; as the family of the victims mourn the dead, the anti-Muslim ideologues gleefully co-opt the situation to market their hate-filled beliefs.

The Islamophobes claim that Major Hasan was simply “being a devout Muslim” when he opened fire on his fellow soldiers. According to them, this is a part of Jihad, an obligation in Islam. As such, the enemy is not just extremists, radicals, or terrorists; but rather, it is Islam itself. It is not then a gross perversion of a religion by zealots that result in such horrific attacks, but rather the exact opposite: it is a faithful understanding of the Islamic religion which results in terrorism. That’s what they claim at least.

There is, according to these anti-Muslim bigots, a conspiracy by Muslim Americans to overtake the country from within. The tactics to do so can be non-violent (”Stealth Jihad”) or overtly violent (such as 9/11 or the Fort Hood Massacre), but the goal is the same: to overthrow the U.S. government, rip the Constitution to shreds, and enact Sharia (Islamic law) in the West. It is for this reason, you–the average American Joe–need to fear your Muslim neighbor.

The Covenant of Security

But experts of the Islamic legal tradition say differently. The Islamic religion commands believers to obey the laws of the land they live in, even if it be one ruled by nonbelievers. Muslim jurists consider citizenship (or visa) to be a covenant (aqd) held between the citizen (or visa holder) and the state, one which guarantees safe passage/security (amaan) in exchange for certain obligations (such as obeying the laws of the land); covenants are considered sacredly binding in Islam. The Quran commands:

And fulfill every covenant. Verily, you will be held accountable with regard to the covenants. (Quran, 17:34)

The Quran condemns those who break covenants as not being true believers:

It is not the case that every time they make a covenant, some party among them throws it aside. Nay! The truth is most of them believe not. (Quran, 2:100)

The Islamic prophet Muhammad described the religious hypocrite as follows:

When he enters into a covenant, he proves treacherous. (Sahih al-Bukhari)

Citizenship (and visa) is called in Islamic legal parlance as a “covenant of security” (aqd al-aman). For over a thousand years, Muslim scholars have rigorously affirmed the binding nature of the covenant of security. This covenant of security can be of two types: (1) a contractual agreement or (2) a customary understanding.

Naturalized citizens in the United States enter into a contractual agreement with the government when they declare the oath of allegiance, as follows:

“I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen; that I will support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same…”

A Muslim is obliged to keep to his word, and thus this oath is religiously binding upon him.

Natural born citizens, on the other hand, do not utter any such oath, so they fall under the second category under Islamic law. The covenant of security is considered for them a customary understanding, in the sense that even though they did not physically say an oath or sign a document of loyalty, it is understood that there exists between the citizen and the government a covenant of security; this, i.e. customary understanding, is considered by Islamic law to be just as binding as the contractual agreement. There is no difference between the two.

Betraying the Covenant is Forbidden

What the 9/11 hijackers did was a violation of Islamic law for multiple reasons. The most obvious of these is the prohibition of killing civilians, but it should also be pointed out that they violated the covenant of security between them and the United States, which granted them visas to enter the country. Using Islamic lingo, the U.S. government granted safe passage (amaan) to the 19 hijackers, and thus they entered into a covenant (aqd), which they subsequently violated.

The United States government granted them visas with the understanding that they would come to the country to study, or seek medical treatment, or for sightseeing, etc., but not for waging war within their lands or killing their citizenry. Even if a Muslim country is at war with a non-Muslim one, it would not be permissible for a Muslim fighter to enter into enemy territory by requesting safe passage (amaan) and then subsequently killing enemy troops once he crosses over.

The classical Islamic jurist, Muhammad al-Shaybani (died 805 A.D.) expounded:

If it happens that a company of Muslims pass through the enemy’s front lines by deceptively pretending to be messengers of the Muslim’s ruler carrying official documents–or if they were just allowed to pass through the enemy lines–they are not allowed to engage in any hostilities with the enemy troops. Neither are they entitled to seize any of their money or properties as long as they are in their area of authority.

Both the 9/11 hijackers and Major Nidal Hasan violated this sacred principle of Islam. They gained the trust of those whom they considered their enemies, and then when those they consider enemies were caught unaware, they killed them. In other words, these criminals took advantage of the fact that they had been trusted, and violated this trust. Such a thing is considered unacceptable in Islam.

(It should be noted that Muslim Americans don’t see themselves as living in “enemy territory,” but the point is that even if Nidal Hasan saw the U.S. in that light, then he still wouldn’t be allowed under the Islamic belief system to do what he did. Of course, the point applies even more to those Muslim Americans who see themselves as distinctly American and who love the country.)

Muslim Americans Must Obey U.S. Laws: Nidal Hasan Disobeyed Islamic Doctrine
Published by Suhaib Webb on November 9, 2009

Courtesy of LoonWatch

The Islamophobic blogosphere has gone buck-wild. Robert Spencer, Pamela Geller, and the rest of the goof troop are pretty ecstatic that Major Nidal Hasan, a Muslim American, killed thirteen U.S. soldiers at Fort Hood. Nothing makes a neo-conservative happier than an attack on American soil; as the family of the victims mourn the dead, the anti-Muslim ideologues gleefully co-opt the situation to market their hate-filled beliefs.

The Islamophobes claim that Major Hasan was simply “being a devout Muslim” when he opened fire on his fellow soldiers. According to them, this is a part of Jihad, an obligation in Islam. As such, the enemy is not just extremists, radicals, or terrorists; but rather, it is Islam itself. It is not then a gross perversion of a religion by zealots that result in such horrific attacks, but rather the exact opposite: it is a faithful understanding of the Islamic religion which results in terrorism. That’s what they claim at least.

There is, according to these anti-Muslim bigots, a conspiracy by Muslim Americans to overtake the country from within. The tactics to do so can be non-violent (”Stealth Jihad”) or overtly violent (such as 9/11 or the Fort Hood Massacre), but the goal is the same: to overthrow the U.S. government, rip the Constitution to shreds, and enact Sharia (Islamic law) in the West. It is for this reason, you–the average American Joe–need to fear your Muslim neighbor.
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #14 on: Nov 14, 2009 07:38 PM »

The Covenant of Security

But experts of the Islamic legal tradition say differently. The Islamic religion commands believers to obey the laws of the land they live in, even if it be one ruled by nonbelievers. Muslim jurists consider citizenship (or visa) to be a covenant (aqd) held between the citizen (or visa holder) and the state, one which guarantees safe passage/security (amaan) in exchange for certain obligations (such as obeying the laws of the land); covenants are considered sacredly binding in Islam. The Quran commands:

And fulfill every covenant. Verily, you will be held accountable with regard to the covenants. (Quran, 17:34)

The Quran condemns those who break covenants as not being true believers:

It is not the case that every time they make a covenant, some party among them throws it aside. Nay! The truth is most of them believe not. (Quran, 2:100)

The Islamic prophet Muhammad described the religious hypocrite as follows:

When he enters into a covenant, he proves treacherous. (Sahih al-Bukhari)

Citizenship (and visa) is called in Islamic legal parlance as a “covenant of security” (aqd al-aman). For over a thousand years, Muslim scholars have rigorously affirmed the binding nature of the covenant of security. This covenant of security can be of two types: (1) a contractual agreement or (2) a customary understanding.

Naturalized citizens in the United States enter into a contractual agreement with the government when they declare the oath of allegiance, as follows:

“I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen; that I will support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same…”

A Muslim is obliged to keep to his word, and thus this oath is religiously binding upon him.

Natural born citizens, on the other hand, do not utter any such oath, so they fall under the second category under Islamic law. The covenant of security is considered for them a customary understanding, in the sense that even though they did not physically say an oath or sign a document of loyalty, it is understood that there exists between the citizen and the government a covenant of security; this, i.e. customary understanding, is considered by Islamic law to be just as binding as the contractual agreement. There is no difference between the two.

Betraying the Covenant is Forbidden

What the 9/11 hijackers did was a violation of Islamic law for multiple reasons. The most obvious of these is the prohibition of killing civilians, but it should also be pointed out that they violated the covenant of security between them and the United States, which granted them visas to enter the country. Using Islamic lingo, the U.S. government granted safe passage (amaan) to the 19 hijackers, and thus they entered into a covenant (aqd), which they subsequently violated.

The United States government granted them visas with the understanding that they would come to the country to study, or seek medical treatment, or for sightseeing, etc., but not for waging war within their lands or killing their citizenry. Even if a Muslim country is at war with a non-Muslim one, it would not be permissible for a Muslim fighter to enter into enemy territory by requesting safe passage (amaan) and then subsequently killing enemy troops once he crosses over.

The classical Islamic jurist, Muhammad al-Shaybani (died 805 A.D.) expounded:

If it happens that a company of Muslims pass through the enemy’s front lines by deceptively pretending to be messengers of the Muslim’s ruler carrying official documents–or if they were just allowed to pass through the enemy lines–they are not allowed to engage in any hostilities with the enemy troops. Neither are they entitled to seize any of their money or properties as long as they are in their area of authority.

Both the 9/11 hijackers and Major Nidal Hasan violated this sacred principle of Islam. They gained the trust of those whom they considered their enemies, and then when those they consider enemies were caught unaware, they killed them. In other words, these criminals took advantage of the fact that they had been trusted, and violated this trust. Such a thing is considered unacceptable in Islam.

(It should be noted that Muslim Americans don’t see themselves as living in “enemy territory,” but the point is that even if Nidal Hasan saw the U.S. in that light, then he still wouldn’t be allowed under the Islamic belief system to do what he did. Of course, the point applies even more to those Muslim Americans who see themselves as distinctly American and who love the country.)

A Muslim American Must Obey the Constitution and Never Rebel Against the U.S. Government

A Muslim must abide by his covenant, which includes obeying the laws of the land he lives in, no matter how he entered into the country, be it by birth, legal (or even illegal) immigration. (Entering countries illegally with forged documents is considered forbidden in Islam, but if one commits this sin, he cannot commit the further sin of then using it as an excuse to violate the laws of the land.) Salman al-Oudah, a senior religious cleric, says:

[Islamic] scholars have stated that those who enter non-Muslim countries have to adhere to their respective laws and regulations even if they entered those countries illegally, and they have no excuse for breaking those laws, since they were entrusted to abide by those laws upon entry into those countries…As long as [a Muslim] agrees to live in a non-Muslim country, he is never to rebel against the people living in his choice of residence, even it seems too hard for him to endure.

Conclusion

The actions of Islamic extremists–such as the 9/11 hijackers and Major Nidal Hasan–flout the normative tradition of Islam and the teachings which millions of Muslim Americans follow. It is therefore inappropriate to conclude that the religion of Islam itself advocates such things, or that these attackers were simply following their religion. Such a thing is offensive to say and quite frankly inaccurate.

In any case, it is too early to say with any level of certainty what Major Hasan’s motivations were. Was he an extremist or simply a guy who lost his marbles like so many other shooters? Whatever the case, one thing is for sure: his actions do not reflect the Islamic teachings nor the millions of law-abiding Muslim Americans.
doninapond
« Reply #15 on: Nov 15, 2009 01:05 AM »

I would be curious to know what these people who condemn the likes of that brother have to say on those(Who claim to be Muslims) who like that brother joined the army but unlike him obeyed the laws and slaughtered Muslims in Afghanistan, Iraq and other places.
Have they given Fatwas against joining the Army?
Have they given Fatwas against Killing Muslims after joining the Army?'
Have they given Fatwas against Muslim Americans torturing Muslims prisoners when ordered to by their country or do they think Muslim American soldiers have to obey those orders?
This question isn't hypothetical it is actual because the American officer who was video taped sodomising the young Iraqi boy to make his father confess was an Egyptian American. Did he sin by obeying his order to sodomise that boy or would he have sinned if he disobeyed that order?
And remember the torturers always have Arabic speakers with them to translate. Are those Muslim Americans who join the Army as translators sinful when they translate for American soldiers raping a man's wife of daughter to try and get him to talk, or would they be sinful if they refuse to?
Many of these translators have stated that they translated for American soldiers who were raping women to get them or their husbands to talk. Were those translators sinful for not stopping the rapes, or would they have been sinful if they tried to stop the rapes for not obeying the law? What if they used violence to stop the rape, would they be sinful?
This again is not hypothetical, I know brothers who have been raped by officers like this. And you have all read about them or seen their interviews on TV so we all know it happens and it is very common. But is anyone telling the Muslims who rape for the American army that it is Harram to follow those orders, or are they being told it is Harram to disobey any order?

Obeying the laws has been mentioned many times. Should Muslims Americans obey the laws of Muslims countries when they invade them? If so should American Muslim Soldiers obey the Taliban when they invade Afghanistan? Should they have obeyed Saddam When they invaded Iraq? Or it is only America that is the law giver other then Allah?

I'm not stating my opinion here. All I want you to do is think for yourselves. There is more than one side to a story. Isn't it right and proper that you find out what the brother's side of the story is before you all line up and condemn him?
There are also more than one set of scholars. And there are many Scholars who have a lot of knowledge who have spent a long time in prison. Even in America. When an American scholars says something different to the above quotations, and ends up in prison, do his fatwas become invalid?
You do know there are people who disagree with you. I'm not saying I do or don't. I'm just saying, at least find out what they have to say before you condemn.
AAA
« Reply #16 on: Nov 16, 2009 08:23 AM »

My request to Muslims living in North America is that don’t live a life or preach a life of conflict of interests with two faces. Whatever North America is doing in Iraq and Afghanistan in the name of so called ‘war on terrorism’ is clearly unjust, brutal and with a malice to destroy or at least weaken the Muslims, their religion Islam and their countries, lands and belongings. This war is a war of religion and nothing else. The so called 9/11 is baseless, with no proof, evidence and court verdict. Most of us we don’t follow Talibans but we know they have strong references in most of their rulings about the way of life. And west based on Huntington’s clash of civilization, took Muslim/ Islam as a threat to them, so they are working on offensive as best defense, they are trying to uproot Muslims/ Islam under different names and games. This war is about the way of life. As  Matthew Hoh, who was a key civilian representative for the US government in Afghanistan resigned citing, "Like the Soviets, we continue to secure and bolster a failing state, while encouraging an ideology(democracy, nakedness in the name of freedom) and system of government unknown and unwanted by its people” Even if I give the benefit of doubt of 9/11, is it not enough after eight years of destruction of two nations, their culture, economy, killing thousands and thousands of innocent Afghans, Iraqis and now forcing Pakistan to kill some more of their own country people who want to follow their way of life- Islam, values, culture, tradition. So I request most Muslims in North America to leave North America and come to the developing nations, build those nations and stand against the illegal, unfair, unjust war on the greatest religion on the earth. This life is for one time. This days and age will not last forever. Take the opportunity to stand against the oppression. You don’t need to give your life, like Shahabas. Just leave a comfortable life and come to a little hard life,  say USA that I don’t support your war on our religion, and I don’t want to pay tax to kill some innocent religious people, by living in USA. Otherwise we will be seeing more and more incident of Hasan, reading, listening from soldiers returned from Iraq and Afghan, how they were killing your brothers, sisters (the civilians, children, young girls) with fun, happiness and joy and then blowing up yourself one day, boom.  island island
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #17 on: Nov 16, 2009 10:47 AM »

...[a lot of questions about fatwas and translators and joining the army, loyalties, etc.]...

bro, please ask a scholar or even visit the homepages of scholars posted above and ask them your specific questions. your questions have nothing to do with what took place. if you read the above articles you can see they are addressing the specific question of what took place, not hypotheticals like you are asking.

All I want you to do is think for yourselves.

i think that this is the problem here, anyone can go around initiating their own ideas of vigilante justice. of what they think is right and wrong. that's not why islam was sent. it's here to teach us right and wrong AND how to go about addressing it. just because something is wrong doesn't mean we go off and do whatever we want about it. we need to go back to the texts and the consensus of the scholars to find the teachings. ft. hood has taught us all about vigilante justice and perhaps even "scholars" who are wrong because they came up with their own opinions.

again, ppl can go do whatever they want with whatever opinion they have about it, it _doesn't_ make it right in islam.
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #18 on: Nov 16, 2009 11:05 AM »

welcome AAA,

Thanks for your advice, but it seems predicated on the idea that US Muslims live a life of conflicted interests and will one day "blow" up over it and therefore should move to a developing nation for the greater good??!?

Muslims in the US do NOT have conflicted interests. They do have problems staying practicing Muslims, just like Muslims do all over the world-- whichever country they live in. And again they aren't about to blow anything up, unless they're mentally deficient or think they can interpret islam for themselves without following any of its teachings. Either one is probably what happened in Ft. Hood. Note that an Imam who talked to him said he was incoherent and didn't make any sense and had little Islamic education.

If you want to believe that the current wars are based on religion, that's your opinion. If you ask my opinion I think it's based on politics, resources and greater balance of power in the world, with religion thrown in there to make things very very messy. Muslims in the US are also against the war and can see the devastation it has wrought across the Muslim world, as do some non-Muslims.

About leaving the US, I think that's the worst thing a Muslim can do. What can they do in a developing nation besides try to get food for their children. In the US Muslims can organize, do Dawah and try to change things in the world. For some reason, people who don't live in the US think the roads are paved with gold and that everyone here has very comfortable lives Smiley Allah gives tests to all people. And it is not what it seems.

People in developing nations should realize that it's not just about the "other". They can't always play the innocent victim. Muslims are not always the victims. What are we doing in the world to be even be called Muslims? We have neither character, nor deen. We don't take care of the earth, each other or anyone. We fight and kill and allow dictators and evil ppl to rule our lands. We have no civilization. Once we realize that the problem is ourselves, we will have won half the war, but continuing to believe that the situation of the world and Muslims is all the fault of "America" or whoever we will always be the losers.

My request to Muslims living in North America is that don’t live a life or preach a life of conflict of interests with two faces.
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #19 on: Nov 18, 2009 11:01 AM »

From his blog:

Responding to the Fort Hood Tragedy
by Imam Zaid Shakir

This is my response to the Fort Hood tragedy and events both associated with it and ensuing from it. I begin by expressing my deepest condolences to the families of all of the dead and wounded. There is no legitimate reason for their deaths, just as I firmly believe there is no legitimate reason for the deaths of the hundreds of thousands of Iraqi and Afghani civilians who have perished as a result of those two conflicts. Even though I disagree with the continued prosecution of those wars, and even though I believe that the US war machine is the single greatest threat to world peace, I must commend the top military brass at Fort Hood, and President Obama for encouraging restraint and for refusing to attribute the crime allegedly perpetrated by Major Nidal Malik Hasan to Islam. We pray that God bless us to see peace and sanity prevail during these tense times.

Introduction

One of the greatest foundations of Islam is truth. One of the ninety-nine names of God is al-Haqq (the Truth) It is unfair to distort the truth, to present falsehood as fact, or to present half-truths as definitive declarations. Truth, along with Goodness and Beauty are the three great transcendental realities that Islam and all other religions strive to aid us towards both realizing and actualizing in our lives. In the Arabic/Islamic lexicon these are known as al-Haqq (the Truth), al-Ihsan (Goodness), and al-Jamaal (Beauty).

Concerning the truth, our Prophet, peace and blessings upon him, taught us to pray, Allahumma Arinal Haqqa Haqqan wa Zurqnat Tiba’ahu, “O God! Show us the truth as truth and bless us to follow it.” The Qur’an presents the truth as a powerful, self-evident reality that is distinguishable from falsehood without any need for extraneous clarification (2:256). The mere presence of the truth is enough to dispel the clouds of darkness and falsehood (17:81). Therefore, a great objective of our religion is discovering and then following the truth.

One of the unfortunate consequences of tragic and highly emotive events like the shootings that recently occurred at Fort Hood, Texas, is that such events are used to advance agendas that by their very nature make a mockery of the truth. This event is no exception. There are those who seek to use this event to portray the Muslim community in this country as an inherent menace whose very existence has to be challenged. Traveling the length and breath of this country in the service of that community, I know this is not the truth. The Muslim community in this country is a peace-loving, law-abiding community that has in ways great and small advanced the general welfare of this nation and its citizenry. To present it otherwise is a blatant lie.

Like any other community that has a fairly large percentage of immigrants among it members, the Muslim community does have those elements, especially older members or those newly arrived from the Muslim world whose strongest sentiments, emotional and cultural attachments may be towards the lands they have come from than to the country they find themselves in. This is true for many members of most immigrant populations. However, generally speaking, such attachments are not found among Muslims born and raised here, nor do they translate into animosity towards or a desire to do harm to this country.

Saying that is not to deny the existence of Muslims who may be agitated by the injustices and inequities they find in American foreign policy, or the increasingly prejudicial or even racist attitudes being advanced by some parties towards America’s Muslims. Among them is a small minority whose anger and frustration may render them vulnerable to the appeal of demagogues who would attempt to exploit their emotions to advance a nefarious agenda, or a number of factors may converge in their lives pushing them towards acts of violence against their fellow citizens. This might prove to be the case for Major Nidal Malik Hasan, who has been identified as the shooter at Fort Hood, and a few other random individuals. However, it is not and never will be anything that can even begin to approach the norm in our community.

There are those who will argue that the problem is those random “few” Muslims who may snap at any time. That is certainly a problem. However, if the recent history of this country is any indication, those few have been less in number and responsible for far less carnage than the “few” from the non-Muslim population, the postal workers, high school or university students, or the random individuals who have snapped and gone on to wreak havoc in our society.One of the great tragedies in this situation is to view the crime Major Hasan is being accused of as a specifically Muslim problem. It is a human problem and if it approached as such perhaps we can learn something from it that will help us to get to the roots of the violent outbursts that are becoming increasingly widespread in our society.

We can debate the issue of violence at large in our society and we can debate the issue of “Muslims” violence. What is unequivocally true about the latter, to the extent that it does exist, is that attacks against the lives or property of American citizens in this country have nothing to do with Islam. There are no teachings from the normative corpus of Muslim political writings that allow a Muslim to violate the security of the public square, to endanger the lives of the general public, to attack non-combatant civilians, even in a battlefield situation, or to aggress against soldiers who are not in a battlefield. This is especially true where Muslims have entered into an explicit or implicit covenant of protection from non-Muslim political authorities and constitute a distinct minority in a particular land.

Much of the balance of this article will be dedicated to presenting Islamic teachings that substantiate what I have mentioned above concerning the duties of Muslims to protect the public square in a non-Muslim land they may find themselves in, and those teachings that warn against foolhardy, ill-conceived attacks that only bring harm and hardship to innocent, unsuspecting people, Muslims among them.

My argument is a direct refutation of Muslims who seek to distort Islamic teachings to motivate ignorant Muslims to undertake ill-advised and unsanctioned actions against the citizenry of this country. It also restates my position on this issue. [1]

No Room for Vigilante Treachery in the Divine Law

In his expansive work, al-Jihad wa’l Qital fi al-Siyasa al-Shar’iyya (Sanctioned Warfare and Fighting in the Divine Law) Muhammad Khayr Haykal mentions, concerning the implications accruing from an oath of protection: [2]

The cessation of hostilities that is mentioned here might be a consequence of an oath of protection given by non-Muslims to Muslims, or a consequence of an oath of protection given by Muslims to non-Muslims. In both cases, it obligates a cessation of hostilities against the members of the opposing community who might technically be at war with the Muslims. [This is so] whether the Muslims have granted the oath of protection or it has been granted to them. [3]

Haykal continues:

It is not permissible for Muslims who have been granted an oath of protection from members of other communities to launch into fighting them, because this is treachery. [4]

Two concepts are critical in what Haykal mentions here, one is the idea of treachery, and the other is the idea of reciprocity. Islam is predicated on honorable behavior. It is the height of dishonor to violate the trust that is extended to a person given the right to move about freely in a particular land based on the assumption that that person has accepted the responsibility to protect and preserve public order in that land and the lives and property of its people.

In his commentary on al-Mughni, one of the definitive compendiums of Islamic law according to the Hanbali rite, Imam al-Maqdisi mentions in this regard, “If an oath of protection is given to a non-Muslim population, it is forbidden to fight them, usurp their wealth, or to expose them to any harm.” [5] Imam al-Shafi’i clarifies that this includes Muslims who have entered into a non-Muslim land. He states, “If a group of Muslims enter the land of non-Muslims with an oath of protection, the others are safe from them […] they [the Muslims] have no right to oppress or betray them.” [6]

It should be clear that a Muslim is not allowed to transgress against non-Muslims as long as he or she resides in their lands under their protection. Any aggression from their quarter is unsanctioned treachery. If they feel they can no longer accept the perceived or real abuses or injustices of the host people then they are obliged to leave that land if remaining there would push them into acts of violence or aggression against the host community.

The idea of reciprocity is critical in this particular area of inquiry. All of our major legal texts discuss this idea. It is the idea that the responsibilities expected of non-Muslims minorities in Muslim lands are incumbent on Muslims in non-Muslim lands. Hence, just as it would be unacceptable for a non-Muslim residing in a Muslim land to attack the people of that land, civilian or military, it is unacceptable for a Muslim residing in a non-Muslim land to engage in similar acts. This is an undeniable principle in our law. Hence, respecting it is not a stratagem or a convenient contingency; it is upholding an inviolable principle.

It is also well-known amongst Muslim scholars that it is prohibited to undertake any acts that will result in widespread harm returning to Muslims. This is based on the prophetic Hadith, “There is no initiating or reciprocating harm.” [7] This Hadith has given rise to the legal maxim, “Harm is to be removed.” Hence, any action that is likely to result in widespread harm to Muslims is unsanctioned and necessarily removed.

In the current political climate in America where the demonizing of Muslims has evolved into an industry, where rules of civility and the rejection of any meaningful anti-defamation statutes allow for indiscriminate calls to murder Muslims on public airwaves; where Mosques and other Muslim organizations are infiltrated by agent provocateurs who are encouraging Muslims to engage in acts that could potentially unleash waves of anti-Muslim venom, it is clear to anyone with a modicum of intellect that attacks such as the one occurring at Fort Hood have no Islamic sanction, neither in principle nor from a tactical point of view.

Such attacks only give credence to those foul elements who desire to justify ongoing wars against Muslim populations. There are those in the Muslim world who think that by calling for such attacks they can draw America into deeper involvements in places such as Iraq or Afghanistan which will then become America’s Vietnam. Little do they realize that there are fanatical elements in these western lands that use such attacks to argue for a full-blown assault on Muslim lands as opposed to the current limited engagement. Some of those calls are for nuclear attacks, and their advocates would not be bothered seeing the number of dead Iraqis resulting from our involvement in that country growing from the currently lamentable number of over one million to five or six million.

Little do those Muslims realize that they are encouraging elements that would bomb Afghan towns and villages with the same insane impunity that was visited upon places like Tokyo, Dresden, Hamburg of Berlin during World War II; for they are arguing that Islam, like fascism, poses an existentialist threat to America and western civilization. One of the things giving any credence to their perverse arguments and turning a hesitate public towards their camp are belligerent actions they hope can be attributed to Muslims. We should neither contribute to such actions in deed nor should we applaud them.

Ibn Juzayy mentions in Qawanin al-Ahkam al-Shar’iyya:

If the Muslims know that they will be slaughtered in wholesale fashion it is fitting that they abandon fighting. If they know that they will be slaughtered and that their losses will do little to alter the strategic balance vis-à-vis the enemy forces, it is absolutely obligatory that they abandon any encounter. [8]

Any Muslim who thinks that an unsanctioned act of violence he may undertake in this country is going to alter the strategic balance is grandly deluded or inexcusably ignorant. His undertaking any violent act in this country is additionally forbidden because he is likely going to be killed, gravely injured, or captured in the encounter. Imam al-Shawkani mentions in al-Sayl al-Jarrar, “It is well-known legal reasoning that one who strikes out [against an enemy] knowing beforehand that he will be killed, captured or vanquished, has hurled himself to destruction.” [9] Imam al-Shawkani goes on to explain that such an act is forbidden based on the Qur’anic verse, Do not hurl yourself to destruction with your own hands. (2:195) [10] The discouragement of foolhardy acts of desperation based on this verse, is also made by Ibn ‘Abideen in his commentary on al-Durr al-Mukhtar. [11]

There is another salient point that we must mention in this context. No one, even in a Muslim land, has the right to undertake violent acts, even against a recognized enemy when the political authorities of that land determine that those acts will incur harm to Muslims [or other innocent people]. Dr. Haykal elaborates on this point at length:

The lawful authorities in a land possess the right, and this right is similarly conferred by valid legislative principles, to absolutely prevent any method, or any organization whose very nature would result in consequences that would expose the Muslims to grave danger and harm. Therefore, when the legislative authorities perceive that something that may originally be permissible has consequences that involve any degree of harm, it is their responsibility to prevent that harm. Rather, it is incumbent on them to prevent it. This is accomplished by preventing individuals from arming themselves and preventing them from forming armed militias that are independent of the standing army. Indeed, the divine law has given the authorities a number of legislative principles to use in order to cut off any path where the winds of harm may blow from. [12]

If this is the case for a Muslim country, what is the permissibility for vigilante acts and underground militias in a non-Muslim land where Muslims are forbidden to threaten public order or to independently implement any Islamic teachings related to strategic affairs?

Finally, as implied above, Muslim leaders have the responsibility to protect the faithful from foolhardy acts that will lead to unnecessary lose of life, and to warn them again individuals who would lead them towards such acts. For this reason, ‘Umar bin al-Khattab, warned against reckless commanders who would expose the faithful to unnecessary hardship. This led to him advising his governors, “Do not appoint al-Bara’ ibn Malik over any Muslim army.” [13]

This warning was issued owing to al-Bara’s known recklessness and his ill-consideration of the consequences of his actions for his troops. It is a shame that there are Muslims who have no connection with this country yet are recklessly and insensitively endorsing actions that endanger innocent Muslims and non-Muslims alike.  They are not on the ground in this country and are therefore not attuned to the nature of the struggles and vulnerabilities of our community.

Conclusion

So what are the Muslims of this country to do in the aftermath of the tragedy at Fort Hood? We have to do the good things we were doing before it occurred. Indeed, we need to increase that good. Our civil rights can be assailed, we can be denied equal protection under the law, our lawful and law-abiding organizations can be closed down, but no one can take our dignity from us, no one can prevent us from being decent neighbors, honest workers, dedicated students, faithful citizens, and pious believers. Furthermore, no one can prevent us from engaging in a heroic struggle to secure our God-given and constitutionally-mandated rights, and from working for the creation of the kinds of policies that will prevent the current bloodletting that is occurring in some Muslim lands with the active complicity of our country’s military and security apparatuses.

Certainly, the heightened levels of hate speech, the whispers of a coming backlash, and the elected officials who have gone on record promising to do nothing to mitigate such a backlash are all unsettling. However, if we preserve and remain ever mindful of the wise commandments that are available to guide our steps, we should rest assured that God will not abandon us. He states in the Qur’an, You will surely be tested in your property and your persons. And you will hear from [some of] those given the Scripture before you, and from the idolaters much abuse. If you patiently persevere, and remain mindful of God, surely this is a manifestation of prophetic resolution. (3:186)

So brothers and sisters, at this time when very powerful and well-financed interests are rallying against us; at this time when we can entertain no real hope of meaningful support from any Muslim country, we have to redouble our dependence on God; we have to live for Him and seek our strength through him. Whoever remains mindful of Allah, He makes for him a way out, He bestows His sustenance upon him from directions he could never imagine, and one who places his trust in God finds that He suffices him… (65:2-3) This is the way of the Prophets, peace upon them. Let it be our way.

Imam Zaid Shakir 11/11/09

Notes:

[1] My position on a number of controversial issues has been stated at length, among other places in my book, Scattered Pictures: Reflections of an American Muslim, published in 2005 by the Zaytuna Institute, and a 4-CD set entitled, Looking Back to Look Ahead, produced by Zaytuna Institute in 2006.
[2] In the modern context, such an oath of protection may result from the acceptance of citizenship, residency permits, visas issued for tourism, study or work, and other well-known means.
[3] Muhammad Khayr Haykal, al-Jihad wa’l Qital fi al-Siyasa al-Shar’iyya (Beirut: Dar Ibn Hazm, 1417/1996), 3:1499
[4] Haykal, 3:1502
[5] Imam Ibn ‘Abd al-Rahman ibn Muhammad ibn Qudamah al-Maqdisi, al-Sharh al-Kabir ‘ala Matn al-Muqni’ (Beirut: Dar al-Kitab al-‘Arabi, 1372/1972), 10:555
[6] Imam Muhammad ibn Idris al-Shafi’i, Kitab al-Umm (Beirut: Dar al-Ma’rifa, nd), 4:248
[7] Ibn Majah, no. 2341
[8] Muhammad ibn Ahmad ibn Juzayy al-Kalbi, Qawanin al-Ahkam al-Shar’iyya (Beirut: Dar al-‘Ilm li’l Malayin, 1374/1974), p. 165
[9] Imam Muhammad ibn ‘Ali al-Shawkani, al-Sayl al-Jarrar (Beirut: Dar al-Kutub al-‘Ilmiyya, 1405/1985), 4:519
[10]There are those who argue that the correct interpretation of this verse is the opposite of what is implied here. Namely, it was encouraging those who stayed away from a battle in order to mind their crops and cattle to go forth to the fray lest they be destroyed by the advancing enemy forces. However, Imam al-Shawkani and others argue that the meaning is contingent on the situation. While that meaning may be the one applicable to the occasion of the verse’s revelation, to argue that the verse is discouraging involvement in foolhardy acts of desperation is also operative. This is so based on the interpretive principle, العبرة لعموم اللفظ لا لخصوص السبب al-‘Ibra li ‘Umum al-Lafdh, la li Khusus al-Sabab (The applicability of a verse is based on the generality of its wording not the specificity of its revelation).
[11] See Imam Ibn ‘Abideen, Radd al-Muhtar ‘ala al-Durr al-Mukhtar (Cairo: Matba’ Khidaywi Isma’il, 1286), 3:337
[12] Haykal, 2:1008
[13] Imam Muhammad ibn Ahmad al-Sarkhasi, Sharh al-Siyar al-Kabir (Cairo: Jami’ al-Makhtutat Jami’ al-Duwal al-‘Arabiyya, 1372/1972), 1:62

WCoastbaba
Bro

« Reply #20 on: Nov 18, 2009 02:49 PM »

jazakallahukhairan Sis Jannah.

Very imformative and comforting and well done on the Imam's part. I hope many are able to read this and not just the Imam's normal audience.

desibro
BABA

Abdurahman
Bro

« Reply #21 on: Nov 21, 2009 12:16 AM »

Asalamuaaikum wrt wb,

All praise be to Allah.

It is inappropriate for a person to speak about Allah without knowledge, furthermore such a person is promised a terrible punishment.  If a person has not spent time with the Ulema and cannot provide their daleel from the Quran and Sunnah, but rather they make fun of the Quran and Sunnah by mocking those who teach the knowledge based on the Quran and Sunnah, then such an attitude is placing one's whims and desires ahead of the what Allah and His Messenger taught.  

They Prophet alahyhi as salaam never allowed Muslims to betray their hosts who granted them safe passage.  This is clear from the Muslims who remained in Makkah after the Hijrah under the Quraysh and who sought refuge in Habasha.  We ask those who claim it is permissable for a person to betray his oath with non-Muslim and slaughter them to provide their daleel from the Quran and Sunnah.  Please provide your daleel.

The Prophet salallahu alayhi wasallam said,: 

حدثنى عمرو بن الحمق الخزاعى رضى الله عنه ان رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم قال إذا امن الرجل الرجل على نفسه ثم قتله فانا برئ من القاتل وان كان المقتول كافرا

"Whoever grants a person an oath of safety over his life and wealth, and then kills him, than I am free from the killer, even if the one killed is a non-Muslim."

Narrated by Bayhaqi, Ibn Hibban, Tabraani, and others.

But if you cannot, then you should fear Allah and cease from speaking without knowledge.

And Allah knows best.

AAA
« Reply #22 on: Nov 22, 2009 04:46 AM »

Assalamualikum,

Violation of human rights, no-democracy, violence, nuclear threat, different way of life, unethical countries are not new in the world history, rather they are very common throughout the history and all over the world, such as China, Korea, Nepal, Burma, Israel to name a few, but why only Muslim countries have been targeted to get purified.  If the present US wars are not for religion, why only Muslim countries have been targeted, why after 60 years of asking for unoccupied Palestine we are now gifted jokingly with two additional occupied countries (Iraq, Afghan), and two or more are on pipeline (Pakistan, Iran). Even if we don’t take the US war in Iraq and Afghanistan as war of religions, at least these wars are illegal, as quoted by Kofi Anan of UN and also unjust and unjustified. And in Islam, you need to prevent Munkar, it is in Quran, you don’t need a scholar to understand this. This is the first time in the history of mankind that such a vast number of people from the other side of the war is living happily and helping an enemy country. It didn’t happen at the time of Pharaoh, Crusade or Isabella’s Spain. By staying in USA and some time siding with the US interpretation of their justification to slaughter Muslims, we are approving, encouraging or at least making it appear looks ok for US government to continue the slaughtering of Muslims without any clear cut purpose, other than killing Muslims. We are becoming a part of a major sin/ crime of destroying countries, killing people with no good reason. And unfortunately those countries and peoples are where many of us were born, brought up and educated. Where we know the culture, language and systems of those countries. I understand, our response to this situation is a matter of level of Taqwa, but at least we should ask immigrant Muslims to do what is the demand of Islam to do under this situation, such as Hubbul watan( love for your birth place, as evident in hadith when Prophet  sallelahu alihi wassalm was leaving Mekka), forbidden hijra, (migration) to Darul Harb. After all these are the prices we will be paying for Jannah.
syid
Bro

Reputation Power: 0
syid has no influence :(

« Reply #23 on: Nov 22, 2009 04:37 PM »

As salaamu alaikum, I have been reading some comments on the fort hood incident first I would like to say that I am not sure on my position on whether or not he should have done it or not.(may Allah guide me to the truth),but I would like to comment on some of  the things I read. We do have to remember that Nadal is a muslim and by him being a muslim we should be careful about backbiting.   Abu Huraira reported Allah's Messenger (saw)as saying: Do you know what is backbiting? They (the Companions) said: Allah and His Messenger know best. Thereupon he (the Prophet) said: backbiting implies your talking about your brother in a manner which he does not like. It was said to him: What is your opinion about this that if I actually find (that failing) in my brother which I made a mention of? He said: If (that failing) is actually found (in him) what you assert, you in fact backbited him, and if that is not in him it is a slander. (Book Muslim #032 hadith #6265) so we have to be careful about the things we say about him.
   * when talking about our covenant we need to think about our priority and that is our covenant to Allah (swt) :
          (It will be said): "This is what you were promised - (it is) for those oft-returning (to Allah) in sincere repentance, and those who preserve their covenant with Allah (by obeying Him in all what He has ordered, and worshipping none but Allah Alone) Qaf, Chapter #50 verse #32)
   Say (O Muhammad ): "Come, I will recite what your Lord has prohibited you from: Join not anything in worship with Him; be good and dutiful to your parents; kill not your children because of poverty - We provide sustenance for you and for them; come not near to Al-Fawahish (shameful sins, illegal sexual intercourse) whether committed openly or secretly; and kill not anyone whom Allah has forbidden, except for a just cause (according to Islamic law). This He has commanded you that you may understand. (surat6:151)
    Sayyid abul ala maududi tafhim al qur’an states :This is the declaration of the sanctity of human life by Allah Who has made it inviolable as a basic principle. As regards its destruction "by right", the Qur'an allows this in three cases and the Holy Prophet added two more to these. The Qur'an makes it lawful to take the life of the one:
(1) who is proved guilty of the intentional murder of another person.
(2) who opposes Islam and obstructs its establishment so as to leave no other alternative than to fight with him,
(3) who spreads disorder within the Islamic territory or exerts to overthrow the established Islamic government.
Besides these, the Holy Prophet has made it lawful to .take the life of the one:
(4) who, in spite of being married, is proved guilty of adultery,
(5) who becomes an apostate and deserts the Islamic Community.
These five are the only cases in which it becomes lawful to take human life and there is no other case in which it becomes lawful to take human life and there is no other case besides these in which human life may be taken, be it that of a Muslim, or of a dhimmi, or of an unbeliever
       * on the issue of keeping our covenant to others, Surah 4:91,92 states:
Except those who join a group, between you and whom there is a treaty (of peace), or those who approach you with their breasts restraining from fighting you as well as fighting their own people. Had Allah willed, indeed He would have given them power over you, and they would have fought you. So if they withdraw from you, and fight not against you, and offer you peace, then Allah has opened no way for you against them. You will find others that wish to have security from you and security from their people. Every time they are sent back to temptation, they yield thereto. If they withdraw not from you, nor offer you peace, nor restrain their hands, take (hold of) them and kill them wherever you find them. In their case, We have provided you with a clear warrant against them.
    * for those who think we as muslims living in america isn’t in conflict needs to think twice that’s why we should always seek Allah’s guidance in these matters before we come to a decision of our own like I said in the being I have no opinion on this topic as of yet ( may Allah share His Wisdom with me and give me one), but I do have strong feelings  for all the muslims who are caught up in these wars on both sides, that is why I think we as muslims living in america should tell our congressman,our senators, and our government to pull out of these countries, we have so many things in america that needs to be fix let’s try  fixing them.

LIVE YOUR LIFE FOR THE SAKE OF ALLAH:
IF IT'S NOT FOR THE SAKE OF ALLAH IS IT EVEN WORTH DOING?
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #24 on: Nov 23, 2009 06:15 AM »

walaikum salaam wrt wbt,

i would like to write a comprehensive response to the above posts inshaAllah, but am sooooooo *busy* right now with various things. i hope to soon, but in the meantime if anyone else would like to *cough* br abukhaled *cough* please be my guest.

ws
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: