// Herbs with Gelatin
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: What is this precious love and laughter Budding in our hearts? It is the glorious sound Of a soul waking up! -Hafiz
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Herbs with Gelatin  (Read 964 times)
Nafs
« on: Nov 15, 2009 06:32 AM »

Salaam alaikum

I feel guilty ..I feel like I always take take take from here ..but never offerred anything else ... May you all be blessed endlessly InshaAllah and may I remember to make dua for you inshaAllah.

This is probably silly ... but really I don't know. I'll try to make this short InshaAllah.

So basically I've been dealing with acne/scars for about 4 years now  ..and mom says theres prob something wrong with my digestive system... Also my mom and aunt ..or no one is really aware that I was told  I was prediabetic about 2 years ago, I started the meds and what not but quit after two months and never saw a dr again about that...

Today my mom and aunt went to some asian town, and they went to a herbal dr. Basically this dr asked to see my aunts tongue and w/out her saying anything else he stated that she had irregular periods, and that she was suffering from a liver illness (which is true)..and when he saw my moms tongue he stated that she gets hot a lot ( and not sure what else). Anyways my mother told him about me, and he stated that basically I needed to stay away from oily foods, and chocolate. He also stated that I could have liver issues, and that I could develop menopause early :S ... obviously that makes my mother worried, so anyway My mom purchased these pills for me from him.

As I was taking them for the first time, I realized there was gelatin in it...so obviously I objected to taking it. My mother on the other hand said ... in the time of illness, it is okay ... and how alcohol is in some medicine but because we are sick we take it. And how other herbal or other nutrient pills or whatever also have gelatin in them,but because it is necessary, she takes them.

I struggle with this ... I took them for tonight, but I feel so awful ... =(

Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #1 on: Nov 15, 2009 10:48 AM »

salam

Most capsules are made of gelatin.

I take starflower oil and it takes a lot of looking to find gelatin free capsules.

I can't give you a religious opinion in this just that that's where the gelatin probably is!

I'm a mine of utterly useless information!!!

What herb is it, maybe we can find it in a vegetarian variation? Actually thinking about this, I don't like the thought of you self medicating without having pursued clarification of your previous diagnosis.

Go to a doctor now, and show him/her the herbs your taking too just in case. You can't let something like diabetes go untreated, it could end up getting very complicated and causing other illnesses!

I absolutely hate needles but went back for a blood sugar test, when I had been diagnosed with possible diabetes in pregnancy.

You absolutely have to, it could be causing your other problems.

Not being a medic, I would suggest you stop taking these pills and go to a Dr. first!

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
Nafs
« Reply #2 on: Nov 17, 2009 02:41 AM »

Walaikum Asalaam sis

Yah unfortunately most capsules are ... it was weird I was reading something about opening up the capsules and eating what's inside .. cuz I m guessing its mostly the outside part that is the gelatin ? not something I am quoting to follow ..but just an interesting thing ...

I am sure I could prob find something ..InshaAllah ... lol...but i did stop taking them ..it was just that one unfortunate night.

Anyways I'll try to get to a Dr before my insurance runs out at the end of this week :|

Thanks for replying =)
Abdurahman
Bro

Reputation Power: 4
Abdurahman has no influence :(

Oh Allah, Guide us to the Straight Path.

« Reply #3 on: Nov 21, 2009 12:41 AM »

Asalamualaikum wrt wb,

All praise be to Allah.

I have heard from my teachers that there are differing opinions regarding gelatin according to the Ulema.  Some scholars stated that gelatin has changed enough from its original form that it is no longer considered pork, this is called Istihaalah.  In this case it can be used in medicines and otherwise.

Other scholars stated that in the production of gelatin its source material has not changed enough, and so it is still considered pork, and thus it is haram.

In summary, it is better to avoid gelatin if you can, since the scholars have differing views on this issue, and it is best to avoid doubtful matters.

I hope this helps.

And Allah knows best.

Be merciful to those on earth, and the One in the Heavens will be merciful to you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: