Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Islam in China - The Emperor's Dream  (Read 4240 times)
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« on: Dec 25, 2007 12:45 PM »

The Emperor's Dream

While searching for information on Wang Daiyu (not me, the original scholar) I came across a old issue of Saudi Aramco dedicated to Islam in China. One of the articles reproduces a somewhat famous story, which is almost semi-legendary amongst some Chinese Muslims, regarding the history of Islam in China. Here is the excerpt from the magazine.

One night T’ai Tsung, the emperor of China, had a dream.

I dreamed of a turbaned man and of monsters … The man in the turban, with his hands clasped and murmuring prayers, pursued the monsters… To look on, he [had] indeed a strange countenance, totally unlike ordinary men; his face was the color of black gold… his moustache and beard were cut… short and even; he had phoenix eyebrows, and high nose and black eyes. His clothes were white and powdered, a jeweled girdle of jade encircled his loins, on his head was… a cloth turban like a coiled dragon. His presence was awe-inspiring… When he entered he knelt towards the West, reading the book he held in his hand. When the monsters saw him they were at once changed into… proper forms, and in distressful voices pleaded for forgiveness. But the turbaned man read on for a little, till the monsters turned to blood and at last to dust, and at the sound of a voice the turbaned man disappeared.

The emperor summoned the Interpreter of Dreams, who explained that the man in the dream was a Muslim from the West - from Arabia where a great sage had been granted a revelation from God in the form of a book. As for the monsters, they were symbols of evil influences at work in the world - which only the Muslims could destroy.

At that, a prince at the court spoke up and said: “I have heard well of these Muslims. They are straightforward and true, gracious and loyal. Throw open the pass, let communications be unhindered… and by so doing encourage peace. I beseech you to issue a decree and to send an ambassador across the western frontiers to the… Muslims, asking him to send a sage to deal with the evils that threaten, that the country may be at peace!”

Here is a couplet from a Chinese poem written in the 17th century inspired from this incident.

Islam was once found only beyond the western border.
    Who could have foretold that Muslims were to dwell in China forever?

islaminchina.wordpress.com/2007/11/15/the-emperors-dream/

jannah
Administrator

jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #1 on: Dec 13, 2011 06:00 AM »

Salam,

Pictures of Islam in China from 1932-`1947, really makes u think of the ancient eras of Silk Roads and Ibn Batuta.
http://pds.lib.harvard.edu/pds/view/2588100?n=48&s=4&printThumbnails=no

In related news I saw a documentary on Uzbekistan. sigh... Tashkent... Bukhara... SO Amazing. It just totally went up to the top of my list of places to one day visit on my Islam in History Silk Road tour Smiley

ws
Mubaraka
Sis

Reputation Power: 41
Mubaraka might someday be someone..:)Mubaraka might someday be someone..:)Mubaraka might someday be someone..:)Mubaraka might someday be someone..:)

« Reply #2 on: Dec 13, 2011 10:20 AM »

Assalaamualikum,

Mashallah,that was amazing to read.
The pics were awesome.

Very exciting to know that there were and are muslims in every nook and corner of the world...all seeking mercy and blessings of Allah S.W.T...and The Great Almighty listens to all... Smiley 

Allahuakabar!

Jaihoon
Jaihoon
Bro

Reputation Power: 21
Jaihoon barely matters :(Jaihoon barely matters :(

« Reply #3 on: Dec 13, 2011 10:39 AM »

In related news I saw a documentary on Uzbekistan. sigh... Tashkent... Bukhara... SO Amazing. It just totally went up to the top of my list of places to one day visit on my Islam in History Silk Road tour Smiley

ws

Was that the BBC production?

jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #4 on: Dec 13, 2011 08:26 PM »

Salam,

Not sure what the BBC one is, but the one I watched is: Rudy Maxa's World: Uzbekistan Episode #204 Can't find it online Sad

But last night in the chat akhan recommended this:
The Frankincense Trail BBC Documentary 1/4 [full] - Oman ,Yemen and Saudi Arabia

And it looks VERY Cool!! 4 episodes all on youtube!!
Shahida
Sis

Reputation Power: 47
Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)

Hasbi Allah wa ni3mal wakeel!

« Reply #5 on: Dec 14, 2011 10:03 AM »

Salam alaikum

A friend of ours recently got back from a Silk Route tour, and she LOVED it!!!!!! mashaAllah, she had so much to say about her trip, and recommends it to anyone and everyone.  her only complaint was not being able to stay in some of the places longer...

Hope we get there someday, inshaAllah
Happy travels
Salam
S. smileysis
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #6 on: Dec 14, 2011 03:34 PM »

Wsalam,

oh wow they have silk route tours?? sounds so cool!! i have a feeling i should have been a sterwardess or something Wink

so i watched the first episode of that frankincense bbc traveldoc and i thought it was very interesting. frankincense = bukhoor non?? i never actually made the link between the two...i know weird, but definitely very interesting how it was such a high commodity at the time and even today. i know there are some bukhoor's in saudi that sell for $$. this little old sudani lady at our mosque loves to fill the mosque with the smell during ramadan. definitely does something to the atmosphere. and the kabah!! i still remember how fragrant hands are after touching the sublime kiswa... sigh.

i liked watching her travels but didn't like how she kept emphasizing that these were 'cultures' that pre-date islam as if that authenticates them or makes them acceptable to the viewer.

i also was very disturbed by her whole "experience" of trying on the niqab thing. i mean really??! is it that traumatic of an incident to cover yourself where you have to start crying, mourning for all the women who wear it and thankful to God that you're western  Roll Eyes she clearly was annoyed by having to wear it in saudi too. (even tho she didn't even have to cover her hair) i don't know... i was trying to think over why she found it so difficult, even as a free choice. and i think a whole lot of it has to do with her being a blonde blue eyed outgoing attractive white woman. she no doubt gets attention wherever she goes, those Arab guys were fawning all over her! so having to cover up and be just like everyone else (and being ignored) is very disturbing to her.

not saying her feelings are not valid. in many ways those are also the reasons why i wouldn't want to wear niqab, but just found her reaction of complete horror/disgust to covering up so surprising. also something i never realized about hijab is that you're really changing your... viewpoint/mindset/spiritual state, because when you wear it it's like it's about yourself and your relationship upward and not with those around you. kind of like being alone with yourself in a silent library full of books. i don't think most non-spiritual ppl could ever survive 5 minutes in such a situation!

anyways just some thoughts!
salams

akhan
Bro

Reputation Power: 107
akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)

« Reply #7 on: Dec 14, 2011 04:08 PM »

easy sis J, easy ... lol

I watched it for the history lesson and not the presenter's views on culture, religion, blah blah. I really liked two things that happened with her, one, the rabbi refusing to shake hands and the other when she cried after hearing the adhan. I also liked the way the driver held his position no matter what she said, not that I'm for women not being allowed to drive or play, but I liked the way she had to bear with the frustration, I found it funny. Actually, if there's any show about the Arab world, I'd watch it regardless Grin
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2013 04:36 AM »

Some lovely portraits of the Uighurs

http://www.theatlantic.com/china/archive/2013/05/portraits-of-uighurs-chinas-embattled-muslim-minority/276172/?utm_source=buffer&&utm_content=buffer4a8a4
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: