Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: I celebrated Thanksgiving in an old-fashioned way. I invited everyone in my neighborhood to my house, we had an enormous feast, and then I killed them and took their land. - Jon Stewart
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Banning the Burqa  (Read 948 times)
nuh
« on: Dec 02, 2009 01:50 PM »

Banning the Burqa
The New Face of Western Imperialism

by Lorna Tychostup

The burqa is an image that burns in Western minds. Afghan women made anonymous by swaths of sky blue material covering them from head to foot—a face screen their only access to the world outside. The garment forced upon women by a ferocious and raging religious fundamentalism formulated by men—Taliban fanatics driving around in Toyota pickup trucks, stopping to whip these faceless blue ghosts on the street or hauling them off to be dug into holes in soccer fields to be readied for public stonings.

These images brought the world’s eye to Afghanistan. They were part of the post-9/11 war cry that saw Laura Bush bring women’s rights activists from groups like the Feminist Majority and Equality Now! and Afghan women exiles to the White House in November, 2001, just weeks after the bombing had begun in Afghanistan. The rhetoric centered on liberation. With the Taliban routed, the burqa would be tossed aside, and women would emerge and breathe freedom. Freedom not experienced since forced modernization mandates put forth by successive Afghan rulers and later during the Soviet occupation gave them limited rights.

Eight years later, the US is contemplating whether to surge the Afghan war effort in order to rid the growing Taliban and al Qaeda presence, or begin a slow drawdown of forces. This time there is no talk of freedom for Afghan women, who, due to the complete and total lack of security in their country, have opted to re-don the burqa—a Western name given to the garment Afghans call a chaddari—for safety reasons.

There is no talk of the conservative backlash against women or how they suffered in the wake of each of their forced “emancipations.” As gender and development expert Lina Abirafeh says in her book, Gender and International Aid in Afghanistan: The Politics and Effects of Intervention (MacFarland, 2009),

“Reforms have repeatedly flooded Afghanistan faster than the country can absorb them, should it choose to do so.

Abirafeh lived in Afghanistan from 2002 to 2006, working on gender issues and researching the effects of gender-focused international aid in conflict and post-conflict contexts, focusing on gender-based violence. According to Abirafeh, in the 1920s Afghanistan was a secular country working to extend women’s rights, yet by the 1990s it was captive to religious fanaticism, tribal patriarchy, and underdevelopment. She cites the combination of colonialism, economic dependence, and rapid social change as “a recipe for Muslim fundamentalism to flourish—a phenomenon exacerbated by international pressure exerted at the intersection of Islam, the state, and gender politics.” The result leaves the place of women as the only controllable social factor left once economic and political arenas become dependent on external interventions.
peace
Sis

Reputation Power: 21
peace barely matters :(peace barely matters :(

« Reply #1 on: Dec 04, 2009 08:12 AM »

I dont know why the western minds are so pre-occupied with the physical aspects of a womans life. Why dont I come across articles that talk about educating the woman in afghanistan....and why dont these lamenters of hijab see that even liberal, independent women and even the converts and reverts of their own country willingly and happily take up hijab.
I was brought up in a very liberal atmosphere where we followed islam but were not really into hijab and all And most families in our culture as the grow into prosperity tend to give up hijab. But when i started taking interest in islam i willingly took up hijab and there is nothing that i cannot do or achieve in a covered body ad head that i could by uncovering.......
extrusion
« Reply #2 on: Dec 04, 2009 05:01 PM »

They are hypocrites and liars.
They say they believe in freedom, and freedom for them is to tell us what we can and can't wear.
They say Muslims are violent, when it is them who invade our lands not the other way around.

Why do they ban Muslims from following Islam?

Because they can.

There is no one to defend Islam now. Whatever the do to ban whichever part of Islam they hate they will do it and who will stop them?

No one, so they will continue doing it, and the government scholars will continue to defend them.
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 279
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #3 on: Dec 04, 2009 10:28 PM »

There is no one to defend Islam now.

The believers will always defend Islam.

Whatever the do to ban whichever part of Islam they hate they will do it and who will stop them?

So what's the answer here? Calling all non-Muslims kuffar and making them our enemies? Or doing outreach and dawah to try to change the way they think? Complaining our entire lives that we are the victim or educating Muslims about their deen so they actually practice it. Think about it...

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: