// Virginia mosque grapples with young members’ arrest in Pakistan
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: Efficiency: The Prophet said: 'There are two blessings that many people fail to make the most of: good health and free time.' (Sahîh Bukhârî)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Virginia mosque grapples with young members’ arrest in Pakistan  (Read 1516 times)
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« on: Dec 12, 2009 07:13 PM »

Five promising young men's lives destroyed, five families, a community destroyed, more problems for the entire community. For what?? This is the problem that comes with the rhetoric some Muslims spout and these poor boy's listened to. It is not an us against them. The world is a lot more complex. We have to be smart about how we respond to our problems and smart about teaching our children.

--J.

==========================================

FBI and Pakistani officials are still investigating whether the young men — from left, Waqar Khan, Ramy Zamzam, Umer Farooq Chaudhry, Ahmed Abdullah Minni and Aman Hassan Yemer — sought to join a militant group. (Associated Press / December 11, 2009)

latimes.com/news/nation-and-world/la-na-pakistan-americans12-2009dec12,0,6677813.story
The five young Americans from immigrant families reportedly ‘never talked about politics’ or violence. FBI and Pakistani officials are still investigating whether they sought to join a militant group.

By Bob Drogin and Sebastian Rotella

December 12, 2009

Reporting from Washington and Alexandria, Va.

The bungalow-turned-mosque has no sign out front. It sits behind a Firestone tire store and across from a busy Dunkin’ Donuts in a working-class neighborhood in suburban Virginia.

Members of the mosque struggled Friday to understand how and why five well-liked members of its youth group went to Pakistan and were arrested on suspicion of seeking to join terrorist groups.

“Those are our children,” Essam Tellawi, the imam, said in an emotional sermon to about 30 worshipers after noontime prayers at the ICNA Center — which is affiliated with the Islamic Circle of North America. “I could never describe the difficulties and hardships that our five families have been afflicted with.”

The young men belonged to a group of 12 to 15 who often went camping, played basketball and performed community service projects.

“Our group never talked about politics” or waging war, said Mustafa Maryam, the youth leader, who has known the five since 2006.

In Pakistan, the Americans — ages 18 to 25, the sons of immigrant families from Pakistan, Egypt and East Africa — spent another day behind bars.

A State Department spokesman said Friday that no charges were pending. Pakistani and U.S. officials suggested that deportation was likely, rather than prosecution in Pakistan, because, they said, the men had not gone far with their aspirations when police arrested them at a house in the city of Sargodha.

But FBI agents and Pakistani officers still were investigating the men on suspicion that they had contacted militant leaders and planned to join an extremist group in the Al Qaeda stronghold of northwest Pakistan. Interior Minister Rehman Malik cautioned that deportation would not occur until the government was certain that the men had not committed crimes.

If deported, the five could face prosecution in the U.S. on charges such as conspiracy to provide material support to terrorists — often used against militants who try to join foreign networks, U.S. officials said.

The families of the men, who all lived near the mosque, pleaded for privacy Friday and did not talk to reporters.

“They are extremely worried about the safety of their sons and do not believe that they could have been involved in the kind of activities currently being reported by Pakistani officials,” Nina Ginsberg, their lawyer, said in an e-mail.

She added: “Their only concern is that their sons be safely returned . . . and they continue to look to the FBI and the State Department for assistance in securing their release.”

U.S. officials have praised the young men’s parents for making the agonizing decision to alert the FBI — an effort that distinguishes the case from other recent cases of suspected home-grown extremism.

The five families expressed their anguish to the imam two weeks ago, after the youths disappeared. Their worries deepened when they discovered a video message left behind, according to a U.S. anti-terrorism official, by dental student Ramy Zamzam, 22. The Egyptian American is thought to be the leader of the group.

In the video, Zamzam declared his plans to fight on behalf of Muslims, said the official, who requested anonymity when discussing the ongoing case. The video also showed images of American casualties, according to U.S. officials.

“I would call it jihadist propaganda: He talks about the struggle, fighting for Allah,” the anti-terrorism official said.

Members of the mosque contacted a national Muslim group based in Washington, which helped them secure lawyers and contact the FBI. The imam broke the news at Friday prayers last week, urging the congregation to pray for the youths and to cooperate with federal investigators.

“Even if people think this community is naive, we still hope for the safe return of these young men to their families,” said Ashraf Nubani, the mosque’s lawyer. He called them “wholesome, regular kids” who were “very polite.”

Umer Farooq Chaudhry, 25, lived next to the mosque with his parents, who run a computer business. A hand-scrawled “no trespassing” sign leaned against their white fence Friday. Farooq Chaudhry’s parents had spent time in Pakistan in recent months and were at the house in Sargodha where the group was arrested, officials said. Police also detained Farooq Chaudhry’s father, Pakistani officials said Friday.

Ahmed Abdullah Minni, 20, lived down the street from the Alexandria mosque. His parents run a day-care center out of their home. Aman Hassan Yemer, 18, is of Ethiopian descent, as is Minni, U.S. and Pakistani officials said.

Waqar Khan, 22, another Pakistani American, had a minor criminal record for offenses including misdemeanor embezzlement, U.S. officials said.

The mosque plans an internal inquiry to see whether the young men were recruited by outsiders or had followed firebrand sheiks or extremist videos on websites.

“We want to know: What did we miss?” said Mahdi Bray, head of the Muslim American Society, an advocacy group based in nearby Falls Church, Va. “We saw these kids every day. In hindsight, what could we have done?”

The suburbs of northern Virginia have experienced previous cases of Islamic extremism. Anwar al Awlaki, the Yemeni American radical ideologue seen as an influence on militants — including the accused gunman charged with killing 13 people at Ft. Hood, Texas, last month — had served as an imam in the area.

A dozen local extremists were convicted in Alexandria in recent years of terrorism-related offenses, such as training at militant camps in Pakistan.

As they filed out of the mosque Friday, some worshipers spoke of the most recent incident in personal terms.

“It’s very disturbing,” Elmar Chakhtakhtinski said as he huddled in the cold. “It’s frightening to think that maybe the man praying next to you could be planning something truly terrible.”
lucid
Bro

Reputation Power: 15
lucid has no influence :(

« Reply #1 on: Dec 13, 2009 06:41 AM »

people should just beat the crap out these jerks who come into our mosques and mislead and brainwash our youth.

they put emotional pressure on you and make you feel so guilty.  when you are 17 or 18 or 21 and full of good intentions, unfortunately your innocence comes at the expense of common sense.

it took me a loooooong time to realize that religious muslims could be disingenuous or dishonest or take advantage of you.

if you know aafia -- well that's what happened to her. a nice girl brainwashed by jihadis.  now other stupid but innocent muslims led astray by idiots who say unless they support the loonies that they are ignoring a fard ayn, and ignoring fard ayn is like ignoring your daily prayers.

i say kick all the wahabi, salafi and vocal saudi and loonies from the Gulf out.

they have enough money.  let them leave and  spread their mischief elsewhere.

doninapond
« Reply #2 on: Dec 13, 2009 07:59 AM »

people should just beat the crap out these jerks who come into our mosques and mislead and brainwash our youth.

So vigilantism is completely hallal in that case is it?
As well as those Muslim boys and Afia sidqui being guilty until proven innocent.
Or should I rephrase that guilt even when proven innocent. Because the charges that they stated they were originally seeking aafifia for have been forgoten, instead they have replaced it with some nonsense.
And what is the farad ayn you are accusing the boys of missing?

Thank you.

[Edited by Admin: Refrain from personal insults please]
Hard2Hit
Bro

Hard2Hit has no influence :(

Taubah

« Reply #3 on: Dec 13, 2009 11:27 AM »

Yo lucid: Us religious lookin' mozlems aren't all gangstaz ya know...

Theres alot ov gud shiz among us, yo  thobebro

Peace out!!

The knight doesn't wait when he's ill or has cancer brother, the knight fights on... He finds a strategy, changes tactics, and hits hard.
lucid
Bro

lucid has no influence :(

« Reply #4 on: Dec 14, 2009 07:47 AM »

you are shocking.

doninapond
« Reply #5 on: Dec 14, 2009 08:16 AM »

In the past Muslims were guilty until proven innocent and Kiffir were innocent until proven guilty. But now Muslim are guilty even when proven innocent and Kaffir are innocent even when proven guilty.

I see nothing wrong in these  brothers. For the Kaffir including the Qadyanis and run its army to accuse these any brother is enough to condemn him.

May Allah bless and protect our young brothers.

jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #6 on: Dec 14, 2009 03:12 PM »

Salam,

Protect them from people like you?  Wink

See you can't have it both ways... either "they" (meaning these boys or whoever 9/11 men, Ft. Hood shooter, London bombers etc etc) did do it, or they didn't.

Now I know half of us do not want to believe they did anything like this because it is so ridiculous. Nothing comes of it and they just harm the ummah by their actions (and themselves by doing something so wrong in Islam). So I am going to believe they were framed or brainwashed or something like that.

OR I am going to believe the whole world is at war with Islam. That the Americans are the dajjal and are in league with the Zionists and with the Masons or whatever conspiracy to destroy Muslims. Therefore we need to fight the Kuffar in any way we can etc, etc.. So I'm going to believe they did it and support them for it.

So which one are you?

doninapond
« Reply #7 on: Dec 18, 2009 12:25 AM »

The fact that the whole world is at war with Islam is no secret.
Now they attack Muslim countries like wild animals attack a plate of food. Near enough every country took part or is taking part in Iraq and Afghanistan.

And the Jews make no secret of the fact that they are waiting for Dajjal. And the Zionist Christians make no secret of the fact that they are serving Dajjal, knowing he is the one that Esa bin Mariam warned them about.

So to answer your question. Yes I do believe the boys were innocent of what they accused them.
On top of that, what they accused them of isn't really a crime. They weren't accused of trying to do something, just accused of attempting to meet people and be in the company of people Zionists don't like.

And on top of that, the Mujahideen are not my enemies. They are the enemies of Dajjal, Israel and Obama, but not my enemies.
The Mujahideen didn't drop nuclear bombs on two cities in Japan, the Mujahideen didn't kill all most all of the Native Americans to steal their land, the Mujahideen didn't kill over 2.5 million Vietnamese for no one knows what reason, the Mujahideen didn't kill over a million Muslims in Iraq. Who did?
The people who did are my enemies, and they are the ones I condemn. So I don't condemn those boys, but I do cendemn all those boys and girls whether, men and women, whether they think they are Muslim or know they are Kaffir who join the army that done all the crimes that I have listed above and more. And they do those crimes in the names of democracy, Dajjal and Israel, because that trinity is the god they worship above Allah.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: