// Bayyinah Institute
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: “Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be.” Abraham Lincoln quote
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bayyinah Institute  (Read 4524 times)
chinesemuslimah
Sis

Reputation Power: 0
chinesemuslimah has no influence :(

« on: Dec 18, 2009 05:25 PM »

Salaam Aleikum everyone,
This is my first post here. I am just beginning to learn Arabic, and I was wondering if anyone would recommend takin classes at the Bayyinah Institute. Also, other than learning from a teacher, what is the best audio method of learning arabic (cd's?)
Thanks,
cm
doninapond
« Reply #1 on: Dec 18, 2009 06:44 PM »

Memorising Quran.
Get a tape of an Qari with a really clear voice and just repeat.
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 278
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #2 on: Dec 19, 2009 03:31 AM »

Memorizing/Listening to Quran will not teach you Arabic. I have heard good things about the Bayyinah classes so I would say go for it! Learning Arabic on your own... don't think it's possible and this is from someone who has tried to learn the language for years through various means. The best is in an Arabic speaking country with daily classes. The worst is 'books or tapes'. The class inshaAllah will be a great starting point for you!!

ws

doninapond
« Reply #3 on: Dec 19, 2009 11:05 AM »

Jannah
For you, no, for her yes.

Why?
From my experience the main problem people from China have with learning Arabic is pronunciation.
Listening to and repeating the Quran will teach her how to pronounce the words correctly. It will also teach her how to differentiate between different sounds, which may have previously sounded the same to her.

Obviously the best way to learn is to go to a Muslim Arabic Country. I think she is smart enough to know that? What I think she meant by her question is what can she do in the mean time or if such an option is not available. And what can she do to improve herself when is isn't in her classes at that college she wants to join.
What she can do is stick the Quran in her Ipod and listen to it while she is cooking, on the bus or even reading this post, and try and repeat the words of the Quran while they are being recited.
jannah
Administrator

jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #4 on: Dec 19, 2009 11:25 AM »

ws,

do you know this person or something? i'm assuming by their perfect English they are living in a Western country and know the basics of tajweed. tajweed does help in learning Arabic but obviously you cannot learn Arabic with just memorizing and reading. you can pick up a lot of words but your grammar and fluency will never be there.

Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #5 on: Dec 19, 2009 11:30 AM »

salam

Sr Chinesemuslimah, are you after learning the quranic Arabic, or conversational Arabic?

For conversational Arabic, classes are best where you can practice conversing, for the purpose of recitation, without understanding what it is you are reciting, listening to tapes might work, you'd become familiarised with correct pronunciations at any rate.

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
doninapond
« Reply #6 on: Dec 19, 2009 12:19 PM »

There is no difference between Quranic Arabic and modern literary Arabic. Written Arabic has not changed in the last 1400 years.
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #7 on: Dec 19, 2009 12:42 PM »

salam

I was asking the sister if she required conversational Arabic or Quranic Arabic without understanding what she is reciting.....

There is no difference between Quranic Arabic and modern literary Arabic. Written Arabic has not changed in the last 1400 years.

Clearly you are a master of the Arabic language!

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
doninapond
« Reply #8 on: Dec 19, 2009 07:02 PM »

I don't need to be to state this. The rules of Arabic are based on three sources:
The Quran.
The Sunnah.
And Pre-Islamic Poetry.
As the bench mark is fixed, the written languages doesn't change.
What changes is the slang people use in different countries. But this slang is hardly ever taught and never written.
In the same way people in yorkshire say boos instead of bus, and often turn you in to a plural by adding a s at the end of it. But these errors are never used in writting, even informally.
So Syrians say Shu be dek, for "how are you", and Saudis say "yal lah", for Hurry up, but neather will write it, instead all write "Kaffa halla" and "bi sura", which have always been the way things are written since the beginning of Islam.
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #9 on: Dec 19, 2009 08:47 PM »

ws,

When we say Arabic it usually falls under 3 categories:

- FusHa aka Quranic Arabic - considered the "truest form" of Arabic

- MSA aka Modern Standard Arabic - formalized Arabic that is used today that includes modern words

- Aamiya aka Local language - different dialects of Arabic which include different words and accents ie Egyptian versus Syrian or Yemeni

Written Arabic can be either of the 3. Quran, Hadith, classical books, pre-jahaliyya poetry etc are FusHa. MSA are what the broadcasters on the news or in the newspaper use. Aamiya is used in regular writing to each other or even in some books. In Egypt for example if you go into their Arabic barnes and noble a lot of the contemporary books are in Aamiya!!
BrKhalid
Bro

Reputation Power: 27
BrKhalid barely matters :(BrKhalid barely matters :(

« Reply #10 on: Dec 20, 2009 05:07 AM »

Asalaamu Alaikum  bro

Salaam Aleikum everyone, This is my first post here.

Walaikum salam Sister and welcome to the board.  bro

Forgive our manners but unfortunately sometimes even fellow Muslims neglect basic etiquette.

As for the thread, it really would be hove Muslims to remain silent if we have little or no knowledge on a particular topic otherwise we just come across as being belligerent and ignorant.

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]
chinesemuslimah
Sis

Reputation Power: 0
chinesemuslimah has no influence :(

« Reply #11 on: Dec 20, 2009 08:33 AM »

Smiley
Salaam Aleikum and a big SHUKRAN to  that replied...[DoninaPond, Jannah, Fozia, and BrKhalid]
Sorry for the late reply but I really do appreciate all of the lovely advice that was given..I am a a big fan of Nouman Ali Khan after watching his youtube halaqas and that's why I am intrested in Bayyinah Institute... I did consider buying one of those CD rom sets but I was a bit doubtful (since I grew up learning that repitition is key, lol)...me for not being prudent in my current shweya-shweya attempts at learning Arabic. My priority in learning Arabic is to please Allah(SWT) so that I can first of all read the Qur'an (even if I don't understand it) then practice in my writing and conversation skills.. Insha Allah I can stay consistent and not waste time. I've learnt alot from your advice and will try to memorize, converse, and practice as much as I can Insha Allah..
Thanks,
cm
tq
Sis

Reputation Power: 18
tq has no influence :(

« Reply #12 on: Dec 21, 2009 01:30 PM »

Assalamo elikuim
I am sorry for being late , but yes I have heard good things about Bayyinah institute.
Also if you can read arabic letters then there are another program by Fawakih also but its offered in Indianapolis and DC only.
The best way is to learn from the teacher but FYI
http://quraniclinguistics.com/

Wasalama
tq
PS: Sr. Jannah if you think its not approperiate to have this link, please remove it Smiley

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: