// To Deal With Obsession, Some Defriend Facebook
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: "What's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet" - Juliet in Shakespeare's 'Romeo and Juliet', Act 2 Scene 2
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: To Deal With Obsession, Some Defriend Facebook  (Read 2743 times)
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« on: Dec 22, 2009 09:21 PM »

So true, so true. I deactivated. Hopefully forever but we'll see Smiley

=========================

To Deal With Obsession, Some Defriend Facebook

Facebook, the popular networking site, has 350 million members worldwide who, collectively, spend 10 billion minutes there every day, checking in with friends, writing on people’s electronic walls, clicking through photos and generally keeping pace with the drift of their social world.

Make that 9.9 billion and change. Recently, Halley Lamberson, 17, and Monica Reed, 16, juniors at San Francisco University High School, made a pact to help each other resist the lure of the login. Their status might as well now read, “I can’t be bothered.”

“We decided we spent way too much time obsessing over Facebook and it would be better if we took a break from it,” Halley said.

By mutual agreement, the two friends now allow themselves to log on to Facebook on the first Saturday of every month — and only on that day.

The two are among the many teenagers, especially girls, who are recognizing the huge distraction Facebook presents — the hours it consumes every day, to say nothing of the toll it takes during finals and college applications, according to parents, teachers and the students themselves.

Some teenagers, like Monica and Halley, form a support group to enforce their Facebook hiatus. Others deactivate their accounts. Still others ask someone they trust to change their password and keep control of it until they feel ready to have it back.

Facebook will not reveal how many users have deactivated service, but Kimberly Young, a psychologist who is the director of the Center for Internet Addiction Recovery in Bradford, Pa., said she had spoken with dozens of teenagers trying to break the Facebook habit.

“It’s like any other addiction,” Dr. Young said. “It’s hard to wean yourself.”

Dr. Young said she admired teenagers who came up with their own strategies for taking Facebook breaks in the absence of computer-addiction programs aimed at them.

“A lot of them are finding their own balance,” she said. “It’s like an eating disorder. You can’t eliminate food. You just have to make better choices about what you eat.” She added, “And what you do online.”

Michael Diamonti, head of school at San Francisco University High School, which Monica and Halley attend, said administrators were pondering what the school’s role should be, since students used Facebook mostly at home, although excessive use could affect their grades.

“It’s such uncharted territory,” Dr. Diamonti said. “I’m definitely in support of these kids recognizing that they need to exercise some control over their use of Facebook, that not only is it tremendously time consuming but perhaps not all that fulfilling.”

In October, Facebook reached 54.7 percent of people in the United States ages 12 to 17, up from 28.3 percent in October last year, according to the Nielsen Company, the market research firm.

con't at http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/21/technology/internet/21facebook.html?em=&pagewanted=all
Nazeer
Bro

Reputation Power: 0
Nazeer has no influence :(

« Reply #1 on: Dec 22, 2009 11:19 PM »

Subhanallah, this is really true. I also have an account on facebook, where I make friends and try to admonish those that require that. But I discovered that I am spending too much useful time on it. Thank you for reminding our brothers and sisters, on the negative effects of facebook. Jazaakumullahu khairan
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #2 on: Dec 23, 2009 04:20 PM »

salam

I likes f/b, I was recently reminded that the fasts for Ashura are coming up (this weekend as it happens), and I'd have totally missed it as my mums on holiday and she usually reminds me.

The sister network we have going on f/b is amazing alhumdulillah, one sister needed help raising money to bury her parent, and we did it in record time, I needed a childminder and in twenty four hours had one alhumdulillah.

It's a tool, and like any other the usefulness or lack thereof depends entirely on how one utilises it.

Remember us in your duas inshallah!

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
doninapond
« Reply #3 on: Dec 23, 2009 04:36 PM »

Can you do that with facebook?
I can't even see how it could be useful to waste time?

All I have used it for is to find people I went to school with. And a bunch of family members added me.
What else can you do with it?
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #4 on: Dec 23, 2009 06:05 PM »

salam

Depends on the friends you have, for the sister who needed to raise fund for the internment, one of the sisters set up a page and invited us, each of us in turn donated money and invited other sisters to the page which raised awareness and money.

For the childminder friends just put up the request on their status and it worked.

It depends on your friends

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
Christine_1208
Sis

Reputation Power: 1
Christine_1208 has no influence :(

« Reply #5 on: Dec 23, 2009 06:29 PM »

I have found it helpful for Dawah. I have Christian friends and they will ask .. what was that note about or what does your status mean Smiley

Like everything in life.. moderation.. and there is good and bad in everything.

I believe in Islam like the sun rising, not because I see it but because by it, I see everything else.
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #6 on: Dec 29, 2009 12:04 AM »

It definitely has it's uses like announcing events and having muslim groups and trying to contact people in a jiffy, but it's a huge fitnah as well. Especially for young people. There are no monitors, no limits. In real life for example these girls wouldn't dare go around wearing the clothes in some of these pictures and poses. The boys wouldn't do some of the things like 'swearing' or 'demeaning women' and so on because the community is surrounded by adults and other members. Anyone could see them at the mall or wherever by chance. On facebook it's all secret from adults and no one can really do anything about it. I think it's a good idea if adults add the young people in the community and also that parents keep the passwords of their kids accounts until they're like 18 Wink

WCoastbaba
Bro

Reputation Power: 51
WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)

« Reply #7 on: Jan 03, 2010 06:05 PM »

I was addicted as well, but completely deleted FB 3 years ago now, shukr'Allah  Smiley Smiley Smiley

desibro
BABA

The Believers, men and women, are protectors one of another:  [9:71]
safa
Sis

Reputation Power: 0
safa has no influence :(

« Reply #8 on: Mar 17, 2010 11:29 AM »

Jannah i think you took it a notch too far there ahahahaha Cheesy
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: