// Jesus peace be upon him and the Injil: Was it written down?
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: Something missing in my heart tonight Has made my eyes so soft.  My voice  So tender   My need of God   Absolutely   Clear.   -Hafiz
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jesus peace be upon him and the Injil: Was it written down?  (Read 1292 times)
Abdurahman
Bro

Reputation Power: 4
Abdurahman has no influence :(

Oh Allah, Guide us to the Straight Path.

« on: Dec 25, 2009 01:28 AM »

'He gave me the Book and made me a prophet.' – Was the Gospel (Injîl) Written Down?| Sheikh `Isâm b. `Abd al-Muhsin al-Humaydân|

He said: "I am a servant of Allah. He gave me the Book and made me a prophet." [Sûrah Maryam: 30]

These are among the miraculous words spoken by Jesus (peace be upon him) in the cradle, exonerating his mother of infidelity. The baby Jesus (peace be upon him) announces to the people that he is a prophet and that he is the recipient of a scripture from Allah.

The Book that was revealed to Jesus (peace be upon him) is referred to in the Qur'ân as the Injîl. The word "injîl" is not of Arabic origin. It comes from the Greek word "evangelion". This is a compound word in Greek which means "glad tiding". In English translations of the Qur'ân, the word Gospel is often used to refer to the same scripture.

The Qur'ân, of course, was revealed in Arabic, and the word "injîl is Arabic to the extent that it is the Arabization of the Greek word that had been in use by Arabic speakers for centuries before the Qur'ân was revealed. This is discussed by the scholar al-Jawâlîkî in his book al-Mu`arrab (Arabized Words).

Indeed, a number of words in the Qur'ân have etymological origins that are not Arabic, but those words had been Arabized and incorporated into the Arabic language long before the Qur'ân was revealed. These words are considered Arabic words due to their usage in Arabic discourse.

Allah calls the revelation He sent down to Jesus the Injîlin twelve places in the Qur'ân. For instance, we read in the Qur'ân:
He has revealed to you (O Muhammad) the Book with truth, verifying that which is before it, and He revealed the Torah and the Injîl aforetime, a guidance for the people, and He sent the criterion. [Sûrah Âl `Imrân: 3]

She (Mary) said: "My Lord! when shall there be a son (born) to I me, and man has not touched me?" He said: "Even so, Allah creates what He pleases; when He has decreed a matter, He only says to it, Be, and it is. And He will teach him the Book and the wisdom and the Torah and the Injîl." [Sûrah Âl `Imrân: 47-48]

And in their footsteps We sent Jesus the son of Mary, confirming the Torah that had come before him: We sent him the Injîl: therein was guidance and light, and confirmation of the Torah that had come before him: a guidance and an admonition to those who fear Allah. [Sûrah al-Mâ'idah: 46]
The Qur'ân also refers to what He sent to Jesus as being a "Book":
The Jews say: "The Christians have naught (to stand) upon; and the Christians say: "The Jews have naught (To stand) upon." yet both are readers of the Book. [Sûrah al-Baqarah: 113]
Therefore, the Qur'ân makes it clear that Allah revealed a Book to Jesus – a book called the Injîl – just like He revealed the Torah beforehand and later revealed the Qur'ân to Muhammad (peace be upon him).

However, the Qur'ân does not tell us whether the Book sent to Jesus (peace be upon him) was ever written down during his lifetime. This leaves us with two possibilities. One is that it was not written down by the followers of Jesus during Jesus's lifetime, possibility due to fear of reprisals from the Jews or others. However, it is still a book revealed by Allah. The other possibility is that it was written down during Jesus's lifetime, but that it was subsequently lost.

The New Testament in the Bible is not the Injîl in the form that was revealed to Jesus. No one claims that it is the scripture revealed to Jesus verbatim, not even the Christians. In fact, the New Testament clearly states that it is the writings of others which relate the teachings of Jesus. The New Testament contains the gospel according to Matthew, the gospel according to Mark, the gospel according to Luke, and the Gospel according to John. Each of these gospels is a distinct book, with vastly different wordings and contents. Likewise, the New Testament contains letters of Paul: Paul's letters to Rome (Romans) and Paul's letters to the church in Corinth (Corinthians).

And Allah knows best. 

Be merciful to those on earth, and the One in the Heavens will be merciful to you.
mutmainna87
« Reply #1 on: Dec 25, 2009 11:24 PM »

salam'aleykum warahmatullah........,

this is an interesting topic. i juz have a suggestion. it could be more interesting if u watching ahmed deedat's lecture.  u can get it from youtube. maybe u know already about him, juz want to share....
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: