Madinat al-Muslimeen Community
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Apr 17, 2014 05:22 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: What's in a name? That which we call a zahra. By any other name would smell as shariah.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is my hijab okay? OR am I just seeking attention?  (Read 2916 times)
sana24
Sis

Reputation Power: 0
sana24 has no influence :(

« on: Jun 23, 2010 12:43 AM »

Assalmaulaikum
I think this might be a common question and I've tried searching it but am still confused, so here it is:

ARE WE ALLOWED TO SHOW OUR EARRINGS?? WEAR HIGH HEELS?? AND USE BROCHES/CLIPS??

Earrings:
I always have and have never thought of it as wrong as I was covering my hair.

But someone said something to me how I'm causeing attention to myself (this is when I was wearing studs aswells, not even dangly or earrings that I thought stood out) I havn't worn the hijab for a very long time and when I started, I basically did it as what was comfortable for me and how the other girls do it around me.  My scarfs are usually purple or blue - hardly ever plain black, purely out of personal perferance not seeking attention! I know its haraam for scarfs to be see-through, but I'm so sure your allowed to haev it any colour you want.  Is showing my earrings haraam?

HIGH HEELS:

Okay I dont wear them all the time, and honestly when I was told about how I cant wear them because I'm causing attention to myself and they make a noise so other men will look, my intial thought was: NO.  I have shoes that are flat and make a noise.  In the society we live in, we're more likely to draw attention to ourselves by wearing the tradtional middle eastern or south-east asian shoes then plain black decent heels.  Im not talking unreasonably high 6-inch stillettos, I'm talking about boots etc.  If I like them, and I'm wearing them for my own personal preference am I allowed?

BROOCHES:

Again I just like the way they look when you pin them on your scarf.  But does this fall under 'causing attention?'

My main issue, is when do you draw the line? I like colours!! Does this mean I cant wear my bright red fullsleaved cardigan becuase it causes attention??
Is this just from people trying to 'complicate the religion?Huh?'

IM SO CONFUSED. I feel like Im doing everything wrong now. And I'm not ready or comfortable just wearing black black clothes and a plain black scarf Sad
Sarah Amena
Sis

Reputation Power: 1
Sarah Amena has no influence :(

« Reply #1 on: Jun 23, 2010 03:59 AM »

Salam Sister,
I can't believe I am going to try and attempt to answer your question but I am sure if I am totally off base, one of the great sisters on this forum will correct me  happy 

I am almost 100% sure that showing your earrings is not allowed, only your face and hands are suppose to show, so your earrings should be tucked into your hijab 
As far as brightly colored hijabs, I think those are fine, since all of the ones that I purchased are made with beautiful patterns and colors.    I personally hate heels however, I think wearing heels depends on your intention when wearing it, are you wearing them to get attention or because you honestly like the style of the shoes? 
I am not sure why brooches would be an issue? I guess you don't want to be overly glamorous that you are attracting more attention to yourself but that's a sticky situation since the concept of glamorous is individualized.
I really hope that the other sisters can add to this
I hope this helps!
 hug
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #2 on: Jun 23, 2010 04:06 AM »

wsalam sana,

I think you will get quite a spectrum of opinions on those subjects. Even from scholars. I think since you're starting out wearing hijab you should wear it the way you feel comfortable, wear whatever colors you like and whatever style you like. Continue with your Islamic education and spirituality and over time things change and your style and how you wear things will change too. Also questions like these are better answered by an Imam or someone knowledgeable that you trust in your area so they can help guide you.

Take care,
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #3 on: Jun 23, 2010 08:24 AM »

salam

I never even knew one could wear earrings to show outside of ones hijab!

I noticed it on a blog I read a while back, it took me a while as I thought she was wearing some kind of funky hijab I'd never seen before.

Personally I tuck my earrings in or don't wear earrings at all. No commentary on how you wear yours tho.

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
Christine_1208
Sis

Reputation Power: 1
Christine_1208 has no influence :(

« Reply #4 on: Jun 23, 2010 06:17 PM »

I would say, be happy with your efforts. There are many out there quick to judge you and trust me they will. But you are trying. Islam came to the ppl over 23 years.. SLOWLY. You can't just jump in or trust me from experience.. YOU WILL DROWN.-- and it's not pretty!

There is a thing called intention. I don't think it is a sin to care about yourself. To look nice for YOU. I wear make-up, not alot but I wear it. I sometimes wear the earrings with hijab, rare, but I have done it. My scarves are a variety of colors, but I wear my scarf.

I usually find good support from sisters and they help. Talk to your Imam, he will guide you. I understand sisters seem to understand the challenges more so than any man, especially when half of them don't observe their dress code, it can make it hard. I say unless someone is living Islam PERFECT, they have no right to tell another person how they should live theirs. Your life is between you and Allah. Focus on that. You wearing it says you want to please Allah, so let him guide you. Continue your studies and learning and let the most Merciful take you were he sees fit, when you are ready.. Allah knows best!

Most of all from one sis to another.. I am proud of you for wearing it and trying.. good for you. May Allah bless you, and make it easy for you! Ameen

I believe in Islam like the sun rising, not because I see it but because by it, I see everything else.
sana24
Sis

Reputation Power: 0
sana24 has no influence :(

« Reply #5 on: Jun 24, 2010 08:29 AM »

JazakhAllah Khair sisters,

I did read these yesterday but didnt reply cause I had just done one day of trying... ok so my resoloution is to try and wear hijab without earrings, I actually did a bit of research and found lots of opinions which confused me more..  Huh?

So in conclusion, I personally feel that my heels and brooches dont really make a difference to me, but my earrings.... well I'm going to try without them and did so yesterday and today Cheesy

Thankyou so far for all the advice!!
And thankyou sister christine for the first line!! Smiley That did help... I did feel like I was a bit overwhelmed Tongue
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: