// Upon refuting the Mufti of Syria, Shaykh Muhammad al-Yaqoubi is dismissed...
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: “It may be true that the law cannot make a man love me, but it can keep him from lynching me, and I think that's pretty important.” Martin Luther King, Jr. quote
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Upon refuting the Mufti of Syria, Shaykh Muhammad al-Yaqoubi is dismissed...  (Read 2313 times)
sacred knowledge
« on: Feb 01, 2010 05:52 PM »

As-salamu`alaykum

Mufti of Syria's outrageous remarks about the Prophet, sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam:

http://www.alweeam.org/news-action-show-id-8198.htm
http://mail.watan.com/news/53-2008-09-29-18-54-21/19159-2010-01-19-17-03-18.html
http://www.aljazeeratalk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=225997
http://www.alwatanvoice.com/arabic/content-145645.html
http://www.muslm.net/vb/showthread.php?t=375051
http://www.saudiyoon.com/news-action-show-id-9099.htm

English:

http://www.jpost.com/Magazine/Features/Article.aspx?id=166295

Shaykh Muhammad al-Yaqoubi swiftly refuted the comments made by the Mufti during his Friday sermon on 22nd January 2010:

http://www.youtube.com/user/sacredknowledgemedia

The following day, Shaykh Muhammad was dismissed from his role as Friday speaker. For more details:

www.sacredknowledge.co.uk

Please forward and make du'a for Shaykh Muhammad, hafidhahullah.

Shaykh Gibril Haddad's response:

nna lillahi wa-inna ilayhi raji`un.

On Tuesday 19 January at the Ministry of Awqaf in Damascus, Syria, the Mufti of Syria Ahmad Hassoun in his eagerness to please a non-Muslim delegation visiting Syria from the "George Mason University Center for World Religions, Diplomacy and Conflict Resolution" pronounced horrific words that fit the act described in the following Prophetic hadith:

"Truly the servant of Allah may utter a word without first ascertaining what he says, and because of it will stumble into the Fire a distance greater than what lies between East and West." Narrated by al-Bukhari and Muslim.

Hassoun reportedly said: "If our Prophet Muhammad had ordered me to disbelieve in Judaism and Christianity, I would have disbelieved in Muhammad" and "If Muhammad had ordered me to kill people, I would have told him: You are not a Prophet."

Then, in some followup "rectification" of his intent printed in the newspaper _al-Quds_, the Mufti changed his wording to ""If our Prophet Muhammad had ordered me to disbelieve in Musa and `Isa" instead of what he had said earlier, but then he said other things and sank deeper into his misguidance instead of retracting it. In the words of the popular expression cited by Sayyid Abu al-Huda, "He wanted to put kohl on her eyes and he blinded her instead," like the proverbial imbecile who bought honey and spat in it. Among his excuses: "I only used 'if'"! and "I only meant that a criminal cannot be a Prophet"!!

Our beloved teacher Sayyid Muhammad Abu al-Huda al-Ya`qubi has responded to these grave offenses against the person of the Holy Prophet(upon him and his family blessings and peace) here:

He indicated in the above talk that the Mufti has, in one fell swoop, (i) made the Divine wahy the subject of a hypothetical confrontation in which the Prophet supposedly acts as erroneous and he, Hassoun, acts as the voice of truth and authority; (ii) described a hypothetical situation where he, Hassoun, would supposedly tell off the Prophet; and (iii) asserted the hegemony of Judaism and Christianity over Islam in explicit contradiction of the Qur'an and in the style of those who, historically, have disparaged Prophets. "What have you left to the rank enemies of Islam and Muslims?" one internet commentator asked, while another scoffed, "Hail, Pope Hassoun I!"

This from a man tasked above all others to uphold the sacred law (although his academic qualification is in Arabic literature, not Shari`a), and now slights the honor of the Prophet Muhammad from inside the sacred land in order to ingratiate himself with Rabbi X and Senator Y.

Sayyid Abu al-Huda addresses the Mufti (at 7'35") thus:

"What is it that makes you a judge over the Messenger of Allah, upon him blessings and peace, so that you can say: 'If the Messenger of Allah ordered me this or that, I would etc.?' The Messenger of Allah is the Lawgiver! The Messenger of Allah is the Conveyor! Allah Most High said of him: {Nor does he speak of his own desire; It is but a revelation revealed} (Q 53:3-4). This means that we know the Religion only by way the Prophet, upon him blessings and peace. I ask: And do we know of the respective Prophethoods of Musa and `Isa from any other source than because the Prophet informed us? Such can only be learned by hearing it from a Prophetic source, not through rational process.

"I do not believe there is any remedy other than for him to resign. It is more becoming of him, out of embarrassment and shame before his Lord Allah Most High, and before his Prophet upon him blessings and peace, that he should go home and submit his resignation; and that he should safeguard this Religion for this Community, and this authority and honor for al-Shaam and the Ulema of al-Shaam, and for the country, both its leadership and its people..."

Allah al-musta`an!

Was-Salam,
GF Haddad
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 279
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #1 on: Feb 01, 2010 07:52 PM »

wsalam,

Hassoun reportedly said: "If our Prophet Muhammad had ordered me to disbelieve in Judaism and Christianity, I would have disbelieved in Muhammad" and "If Muhammad had ordered me to kill people, I would have told him: You are not a Prophet."

I think this could have been misinterpreted. Maybe he meant that a prophet could not come to deny what Allah had sent before (which is true) they were at one time true religions from Allah and that a prophet would never ask people to kill innocent people indiscriminately without reason as this is one of the 5 things deen upholds (life). I don't know...I wonder what the original questions/discussion was about?

In any case I don't think it's right to declare someone a "disbeliever" or "in the hellfire" for a single sentence. Especially someone who is a learned scholar and the MUFTI OF SYRIA. I think there's a lot of politics going on here as well. And Allah knows best.
sacred knowledge
« Reply #2 on: Feb 01, 2010 11:22 PM »

nowhere did anyone say the mufti was a disbeliever.

Following the despicable comments made by the Mufti of Syria, Shaykh Yusuf Al-Qardawi has expressed his contention concerning the statements. In his appearance on the Al Jazeerah programme "Shariah wal haya" (shariah and life), he said the following:

"In these statements there are gross mistakes and it is not acceptable. It is not appropriate for us to mention the Messenger, peace and blessings of Allah upon him, in this manner.

Despite the fact that we believe in the true message that was bestowed upon s.Isa and s.Musa, upon them be peace, we declare that the Christians existing today are heretics, as they declare us to be.

Indeed we believe in the entirety of what the Messenger, peace be upon him, has to say and we undertake any of his orders. We must conduct appropriate manners when concerning the Prophets"
jannah
Administrator

jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #3 on: Feb 02, 2010 06:02 AM »

No, not disbeliever. Although "will stumble into the Fire a distance greater than what lies between East and West." is what was said. Again, I think words and especially a single sentence can be misinterpreted. In this case, even his explanations are not being accepted, which makes me think there is a political agenda involved here. This is a learned scholar who is considered the most learned in Syria to be appointed Mufti of the land! What we are hearing is a lot of hearsay and I do believe there is a lot more going on in the background. Would we want one sentence of ours to be taken out of context? I realize he's a public figure and especially a moral figure but the statements are so ambiguous. w'Allahu alam.

se7en
Sis

Reputation Power: 11
se7en has no influence :(

« Reply #4 on: Feb 02, 2010 09:10 AM »

as salaamu alaykum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh,

a couple points:

If I understood it correctly, in the audio around 1:10 Sh. Muhammad says that this sentence - as a statement judged on its own - is kufr, but that he is not necessarily labeling the person as kafir.  There is a definite distinction there, especially if the statement was not intended in that way or the person retracts it later on.  However he does say that 'some' scholars would require him to renew his Islam, implying that he may have left Islam with this statement.  

I think judging or deeming something to be kufr is within the role of the scholar, and if someone makes a public statement that seems egregious, especially from a religious person who has a certain status among the people, then it is the duty of the ulema to educate people about these matters and clarify things.  However, the approach that is taken, the significance and attention that is given to the event, the attitude the scholar has about it and encourages the people to have, is something that is very sensitive and has to be considered in the context of the situation and relative circumstances.  

I think Sh. Muhammad's entire talk should be translated.  There are certain statements that he makes that are very significant, that are not really conveyed in the excerpts that are translated.  For example around 3:20 he says, 'one should think that he had a good intention; perhaps he made this statement with a sincere intention, but it is the way in which he spoke [about the Prophet saw] that is objectionable.'  He also mentions that the mufti did later correct/clarify what he said and intended by his comments.

About Sh. Muhammad al-Yaqoubi's dismissal - I'm not sure why it seems to be so shocking, considering the long standing history between the scholars, religious institutions and students of knowledge in Syria and the government.  To be perfectly frank, I think many were surprised that Sh. Muhammad was allowed to speak publicly in the first place! because he obviously does not curb his teachings to please the authorities, which is an admirable quality in a scholar.  I am also pretty sure that he knew what the probable consequences would be when he decided to give this talk in public.

Allah knows best,

salaam

jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #5 on: Feb 02, 2010 07:06 PM »

ws,

It's definitely the right of the ulema to speak out on other ulema, especially when there are things that are wrong Islamically. After all, how we would know what is right Islamically except through their consensus and corrections. I just find this incident odd and feel like we've missed a whole bunch of background or details of what happened there.
se7en
Sis

Reputation Power: 11
se7en has no influence :(

« Reply #6 on: Feb 04, 2010 07:43 AM »

salaam,

my apologies,  I believe I misunderstood the two statements that I quoted earlier;  in the first at 1:10 I thought he intended by his statement that the one who *makes* a statement of kufr is not necessarily a kafir, but by 'naql' he meant the one who reports it.  also at 3:20 I did not realize he was quoting someone else.  my bad.

salaam
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: