// Haiti Earthquake Relief
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: Family: The Prophet said: 'He is not one of us who does not show mercy to our little ones and respect to our elders.' (Sunan At-Tirmidhî)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Haiti Earthquake Relief  (Read 1533 times)
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« on: Jan 15, 2010 08:55 PM »

Salaam Alaikum,

I hope as we all watch the news and pictures of the horrible devastation in Haiti that we take the time to donate to our local Mosques which are sending money there or to relief agencies that are helping. These are our fellow human beings and we should remember the outpouring of support and money that was given to Muslims throughout many natural disasters.

http://www.islamicreliefusa.org/emergencies/haiti-earthquake

http://www.islamic-relief.com/Emergencies-And-Appeals/emBackground.aspx?emID=66
jannah
Administrator

jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #1 on: Jan 15, 2010 08:59 PM »

Message from ISNA president Dr. Ingrid Mattson on the Haitian Earthquake

It has been reported that a prominent Christian leader, Pat Robertson, has said that Haiti has been “cursed” by a “pact with the devil.” Fortunately, this is not the mainstream Christian position and my friend, the Reverend Paul Raushenbush, has rejected Robertson’s “blaming the victims” theology. Religious leaders must take a stance against extremist voices in their community, and I am glad to see Rev. Raushenbush respond to Robertson’s ridiculous and offensive suggestions. 

As Muslims, we believe that human suffering is not always explainable or understandable. We do know that innocent people suffer all the time, from sickness and natural disaster, and that in such cases, we are required to do two things: First, pray and remember, as the Qur’an says that “to God we belong and to Him we return.” Second, we must help those who are suffering.  The Prophet Muhammad, peace be upon him, reported in a Sacred Hadith that if we want to be close to God, we should visit the sick and feed the needy.  On the Day of Resurrection, Allah will say, “O son of Adam, I fell ill and you did not visit me.” The person will say, “O Lord, how could I visit you when You are the Lord of the worlds?” He will say, “Did you not know that So-and-so fell ill and you did not visit him?  If you had visited him, you would have found Me with him [the hadith continues].”

We realize from this hadith that the path to closeness with God is, after worship, service to humanity.  Perhaps the most needy collectivity of people in the world today are the Haitians after enduring this terrible earthquake.  Helping the Haitians in this time of need is certainly a sign of religious sincerity.

It is also important to realize, however, that this is much more than a “natural” disaster – that this suffering is not just part of God’s inscrutable plan. As was the case of the devastation that followed hurricane Katrina, human negligence and oppression made a challenging natural event into a disaster of hugely devastating proportions.

We cannot understand this disaster without asking the question, why is Haiti the poorest nation in the Western hemisphere?  The sad reality is that the people of Haiti have endured almost constant oppression and injustice since the first arrival of European colonialists five centuries ago.  The indigenous population was nearly completely exterminated following the arrival of Christopher Columbus, and then hundreds of thousands of Africans were enslaved and transported to Haiti, where they endured possibly the most brutal conditions ever experienced by humanity.  Deep and enduring oppression continued under French colonialism, and every time Haitians attempted to assert their independence, they were brutally suppressed.  After finally winning national independence in the nineteenth century, Haitians did not remain free of foreign interference, and were occupied by the United States in the early twentieth century.  Imperialism was followed by a series of dictators in the second half of the twentieth century. Only recently have Haitians been able to restore democratic rule.

As we know from the experience of people across the Middle East and Africa, centuries of colonialism and imperialism destroy cultures, families, and all social and economic structures that are needed for a functioning society.  The people of Haiti are desperately poor because they have endured centuries of injustice and oppression.  It is because of their poverty that their homes and buildings were utterly unsuitable to endure a major earthquake, which scientists have predicted for many years. It is because of their poverty that the people of Haiti do not have even the basic infrastructure and equipment they now need to dig their people out of collapsed buildings and provide them with urgently needed care.

This Friday, I ask Imams, Khateebs, and other Muslim leaders to share the message of religious sincerity and compassion with their communities.  We need to discuss the significance of the collective obligation to help the poor and needy, to ensure that we go beyond occasional charity to help reform oppressive social and economic structures.  Finally, this is a lesson in human solidarity. Our community knows very well the devastation caused to Muslim societies by colonialism and imperialism, but we do not often recognize that others in the world have also suffered from the same history.  Surely God will lift up the Muslim community and ease the suffering of our people if we sincerely and earnestly serve our brothers and sisters in humanity – the sons and daughters of Adam - who also cry out for relief.
WCoastbaba
Bro

Reputation Power: 51
WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)

« Reply #2 on: Jan 15, 2010 10:01 PM »

masha_allah Wonderful words by Pres. & Sis Mattson. I do hope Muslim organizations or groups also make an effort to help those affected. Also, maybe I am not completely informed, but have any of the Arab or so-called Islamic nations made any donations, etc?  Huh?

I've told my mom back in the States to send some money to Mercy Corps, which I'm sure many of you have heard of when these natural disasters strike - they just happened to be based at home (Portland, Oregon), so it makes it that much easier, though of course, donations can be made online as well. It's these type of events make me feel that insha'allah when I finish my studies, I can go help those in need of medical attention wherever it is needed, without the monetary "reward", but rather, as Sr. Matton said, from helping our brothers and sisters in humanity, which will be reward in itself, more than $$$ could ever be.
 desibro
BABA

The Believers, men and women, are protectors one of another:  [9:71]
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #3 on: Jan 17, 2010 03:16 AM »

Islamic relief reaches Haiti!!

mashaAllah so proud of them right now!!

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2010/01/16/natpkg.muslim.aid.cnn?hpt=C1
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #4 on: Jan 20, 2010 08:04 PM »

Pictures are horrible to see. They say the death count will reach 200,000 people. 75,000 already buried in mass graves unidentified. May Allah protect us all -- J.

=====================

Muslim Online Fundraiser for Haiti, Organized via Facebook, Raises  $105K in 2 Hours with Only 400 Donors

On Sunday, January 17, 400 Muslims raised over $105,000 in the span of two hours through the “Help Haiti, Heal Haiti” Emergency Online Fundraiser conducted by SeekersGuidance and Islamic Relief. The average donation amount was $250.

http://www.ireport.com/docs/DOC-395231
[Attached videos include songs, prayers, and appeals by American Muslim leaders for the online fundraiser]

Participants from the US, UK, and Canada signed onto an online portal to give generously to the victims of the devastating Haiti earthquake. The event was pulled together by volunteers within two days through a viral marketing campaign on Facebook and Twitter; other American Muslim groups endorsed the event and spread the word. This was one example of how the American Muslim community quickly mobilized to provide relief to Haiti. On Saturday, Islamic Relief flew representatives to Haiti for direct assistance on the ground. The online fundraiser featured prayers, devotional songs, and fundraising appeals by prominent American Muslim Imams and scholars.

Muslim leaders joined through pre-recorded and live video appearances, stressing on the religious duty of Muslims to give to their suffering neighbors, often quoting Quranic verses and traditions of the Prophet Muhammad. Shaykh Faraz Rabbani, founder of and instructor at SeekersGuidance, drew connections between the character of the Prophet Muhammad and the last speech delivered by Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. King said “Ultimately a great nation is a compassionate nation …. It seems that I can hear the God of history saying, ‘That was not enough! But I was hungry, and ye fed me not. I was naked, and ye clothed me not. I was devoid of a decent sanitary house to live in, and ye provided no shelter for me.’ That’s the question facing America today.” Shaykh Faraz continued, “This is the call of the Prophets. It is the call of compassion. It is a call of mercy. Let us answer that call. The Prophet Muhammad said “Be merciful to those on earth and the Lord of the Worlds will be merciful to you.” If any person is in need, it is the believer’s duty to hasten and assist.”

SeekersGuidance, founded in 2008, is an Islamic educational learning portal that combines online courses, weekend seminars, and free digital media to inspire its students to grow spiritually as they apply Islam to their lives. The website also features an award-winning blog, one of the top 10 Islamic podcasts on iTunes, and free question and answer service.

Islamic Relief, founded in1993, strives to alleviate poverty and suffering wherever it is found, paying no heed to gender, race or creed. After a quarter-century of service, Islamic Relief now has permanent locations in over 35 countries in Africa, Asia, Europe and North America. It provides emergency disaster relief, and spearheads development projects in multiple sectors, including education, income generation, orphan support, health and nutrition, and water and sanitation.
Christine_1208
Sis

Reputation Power: 1
Christine_1208 has no influence :(

« Reply #5 on: Jan 22, 2010 08:31 PM »

All of this help is wonderful.

The Prophet (peace and blessings upon him) said: “Allah is in the aide of His servant as long as His servant is in the aide of others…”

May the help continue! I hope everyone sees how much the Muslims across the world are helping.

I believe in Islam like the sun rising, not because I see it but because by it, I see everything else.
WCoastbaba
Bro

Reputation Power: 51
WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)

« Reply #6 on: Jan 22, 2010 11:20 PM »

Wow, that is really great to hear that our community is doing their part. Let's hope others follow and that also it gets some publicity, yet as we all know, charity given in secret is best, but I think, as Sr. Christine pointed out, the public should be at least be shown the effort we are making, to show the POSITIVE contributions being made by Muslims.

desibro
BABA

The Believers, men and women, are protectors one of another:  [9:71]
BrKhalid
Bro

Reputation Power: 27
BrKhalid barely matters :(BrKhalid barely matters :(

« Reply #7 on: Jan 31, 2010 04:51 AM »

Should Muslims be concerned about Haiti?
Jihad Hashim Brown

Eleven-year-old Anna St Louis was going to be a lawyer. For three days she lay trapped beneath the rubble of a building in Haiti, her right leg crushed by a steel beam. “Lord God save me. I don’t want to die,” she cried out. Far from the capital Port-au-Prince, far from assistance, neighbours tried desperately to cut the beam with a hacksaw, while others gave her water. Her final rescue was covered by international news agencies, the town celebrated, Anna was grateful. With nothing more than painkillers to give her, the Cuban doctor volunteering in that area advised that she must be taken three hours away where more sufficient medical care could be given. Anna was brave enough to suggest her readiness to have her leg amputated. “I may lose my feet, but I will always have my life,” she has seen saying. But within 24 hours of being rescued, Anna had expired due to severe internal bleeding.

The first statement of the Prophet Mohammed to be taught to every student of Sacred Knowledge is: “Those who show compassion to others, compassion will be shown to them by the All Compassionate; show compassion to those in the Earth and those in the heavens will show compassion to you.”

Some will inevitably say that this does not apply to the non-Muslim. “We should only give our assistance to Muslims,” they will say. But an analysis of the above mentioned narration does not bear this out.

Another tradition of the Prophet Mohammed says: “God does not cease to assist his slave, so long as His slave does not cease to assist his brother.”

The premiere jurist of the 1950s Al Azhar, Muhammad Abu Zahra, says this is not limited to one’s brother in Islam alone, but in humanity in general. The Prophet Mohammed warned that whoever stands by and watches while the safety and dignity of another is being violated – while he has the wherewithal to help – God will leave him at the moment when his dignity and safety is threatened and he most wishes for rescue. Man is famously the caliph of God on Earth, and the believer is the caliph of the Prophet. But the “stewardship” through which we understand this caliphate is a concept of wide and expansive meaning. When we think – through history books – of Medieval international relations, we think of black and white stand-offs, of well-defined boundaries of “us-against-thems”.

We forget about how Islam was lived in actual communities – beyond the pages of cut-and-dry jurisprudential theory – where neighbours shared and cared across faith boundaries, and where they still do today, contrary to the pictures painted through grainy web videos, or their counterparts on 24-hour cable news channels. The world is no longer a place of regionally isolated towns and provinces; it is an expansive and vast community where the concept of stewardship and leadership needs to be bigger.

“Fear the prayer of those wrongly treated,” the Prophet said, “because there is no veil between them and Allah.” More often than not we think of this in terms of those who victimise us. Muslims should not forget to fear the prayer of those who suffer while they can alleviate it.

Much praise for the North American Muslim leaders who rallied and joined Shaykh Faraz Rabbani, the crew at Seekers’ Guidance, and Islamic Relief to alleviate the suffering of their beleaguered neighbours in Haiti this week; even more appreciation for all those who gave the US$105,000 (Dh386,000) in the first two hours online. Here is what it means to drink from the teachings of Mohammed.

Jihad Hashim Brown is director of research at the Tabah Foundation. He delivers the Friday sermon at the Maryam bint Sultan Mosque in Abu Dhabi

http://www.thenational.ae/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100123/WEEKENDER/701229783

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]
Halima
Sis

Reputation Power: 39
Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)

« Reply #8 on: Feb 01, 2010 08:38 PM »

To think differently would be totally inhuman!  Great post BrKhalid.

The Almighty Allah says,

"When a servant thinks of Me, I am near.
When he invokes Me, I am with him.
If he reflects on Me in secret, I reply in secret,
And if he acknowledges Me in an assembly,
I acknowledge him in a far superior assembly."

- Prophet Muhammad (SAW), as reptd by Abu Huraira
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: