// Tips to losing weight
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: My son, when you pray, do it like a person who is bidding farewell to this world, and don�t assume you will have another chance to pray again. My son, know that a believer dies in between two deeds, one he offers for today, where he will get immediate blessings, and the second deed is what he offers towards the day of resurrection, and that is where he will gain the ultimate benefits - Muadh Ibn Jabal (radiAllahu anhu)
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tips to losing weight  (Read 6231 times)
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« on: Feb 07, 2008 09:03 AM »

Salam,

Anyone got any........ stuff thats more specific than exercise more and eat less.... maybe specific stuff to eat/not eat...times when to exercise..what's good little tricks that work!!! I could use some motivation.

Barr
Sis

Reputation Power: 8
Barr has no influence :(

« Reply #1 on: Feb 08, 2008 02:32 AM »

Wa'alaikumussalam warahmatullah,

I was adviced to eat fruits before your main meal.
Supposed to fill you up so that you don't eat a lot of the meal.

Also, eat before 7pm. If you have to eat past 7pm, then make sure you sleep 3 hours after that.

Also what works for me - eat less meat. And I find that works A LOT, mashaAllah.

A sister I know cut her sugar intake and she lost loads, mashaAllah.  bebzi

Since this is in the singles folder >>>>>>>>>>> Don't fear - marriage does not make you gain weight! Wink

um aboodi
Sis

Reputation Power: 26
um aboodi barely matters :(um aboodi barely matters :(

« Reply #2 on: Feb 08, 2008 09:16 AM »

peace be upon you

not that i need to lose weight or anything,  yeah right   Roll Eyes (i do, big time) , but what works for lots of people is to keep track of what they are eating by writing it down.  sort of a diet journal kinda of thing. 

also, for me anyways, if i don't have cookies, icecream, chips, chocolates at home, i won't eat them.  so i just don't buy them.  i seem to have lots of will power when i am shopping, but not so much with eating.

i usually eat when i am stressed which is like all the time now.  i think this a real problem for most people.  so, dealing with the stress by exercising should address this problem. 

hope this helps

wassalam
Faizah
Sis

Reputation Power: 3
Faizah has no influence :(

« Reply #3 on: Feb 08, 2008 10:50 PM »

As salaamu alaikum

The first thing to remmber is moderation in everything; that includes food, or rather caloric intake.  I don't believe in denying myself of what I want simply because I find that I eat everything else trying to satisfy my taste and still end up eating what I wanted anyway; so it's better to have a little of what I want and be happy and not eat everything else that isn't nailed down.  I found that since switching to soy milk everyone in my house has shed a few.  And now that I've discovered the full range of soy based products - soy yogurt, soy "ice cream" sandwiches - that aren't icky tasting, I've begun replacing a lot of the milk based products I buy.

Care must be taken in cutting back calories because if you cut back too much the body's own survival mode kicks in and your metabolism slows down.  It's also always about making wise choices.  Carrot or celery sticks instead of cookies (which I ate way too many of today); unbuttered, air popped popcorn instead of chips.  High volume, low calorie foods fill us without packing on the calories and pounds.  Another thing is to watch the salt intake since it causes our bodies to retain water which equates to weight.

I've enjoy watching The Biggest Loser since some good tips are offered, although those personal trainers are a bit harsh and rude.  Still if you consider that the contestants lose quite a bit of weight in a short period of time then there's clearly some benefit to the tips they are giving.

As salaamu alaikum

Fa'izah
CountlessBlessings
Sis

Reputation Power: 7
CountlessBlessings has no influence :(

« Reply #4 on: Feb 09, 2008 10:57 AM »

Assalamu alaikum,
My husband is in the States for 2 weeks and I asked for size 6 khakis from old navy  Grin I'm determined in sha Allah to be size 6 by the time he gets back (I'm an 8 now)
So, I've started looking at food in terms of calories.  Like, I'll want a cookie or I'll want to spread mayo or nutella on bread, and I'll think; that's 100 calories, I don't need that.
Also I'm really really trying to cut out bread, and I haven't had past in weeks, other starches like rice etc... killers.
but the calorie thing, it's really working, it's helping me not put stuff in my mouth.
And like Um Aboodi said, not buying the stuff in the first place helps.  I'll get that "I really want to eat something right now" and look in the cupboards and not find anything. 
a_desert_rose
Sis

Reputation Power: 0
a_desert_rose has no influence :(

« Reply #5 on: Feb 09, 2008 05:58 PM »

Assalamualaikum,

My little sister had to see the dietician because she was underweight. The dietician advised her to avoid drinking water and other drinks before or during meals, but rather to drink at the end because the liquid would fill her up and she wouldn't eat as much. THEREFORE drinking water and pure fruit juice before meals means... voila! you will eat less Smiley. This hasn't been tested though, so I'm not sure if it works. It may just end up making you hungrier later so you end up eating lots of little meals which are just as bad. Is that confusing?  oldshaykh

Wassalam
jannah
Administrator

jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #6 on: Feb 09, 2008 08:15 PM »

wsalaam,

all really good tips thanx... the last year, year and a half i've lost maybe 10 to 15 pounds but now it's like the scale does not budge, no matter what i eat or exercise. even if i totally just eat everything and don't exercise it stays the same!  it's like reaching a plateau thats not going anywhere arghhh... i mean maybe i'm fine at this weight but it isn't my goal weight, so no idea...
CountlessBlessings
Sis

« Reply #7 on: Feb 09, 2008 10:28 PM »

I think once you hit that plateau it means you really need to step you your exercise routine to start burning again.
Here's an article about getting past the plateau on this great website, Sparkpeople:
http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/fitness_articles.asp?id=516
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #8 on: Feb 17, 2008 08:17 PM »

This is soooo perfect lol.........

Pride and Prejudice : Why Elizabeth Bennett never got fat.

In Jane Austen's day young women were not usually overweight even though it was unfashionable to be too thin. Food (for people in society) was plentiful and served in large quantities. (Just think of all those formal meals and banquets). But habits and customs were different.

What can we learn from those times which will help us today?

1. Real food

All the food available was the real thing. There were no fast foods and fizzy drinks full of hidden fat and chemicals in Elizabeth Bennett's day. The foods eaten were mainly local and seasonal and meat would be organic (from animals which were not pumped full of hormones or fed artificially). The only additives would be herbs and spices. Pizza and chocolate bars had no place in Elizabeth's life!

2. Focus on food

For the middle classes at least, food was served formally. Breakfast, lunch and dinner were eaten at a proper dining table and food and conversation were the only focus. Elizabeth Bennett did not mindlessly shovel forkfuls of food into her mouth while being glued to the latest soap.

3. No snacking

Food was only available at set times and so Elizabeth never got into the habit of munching 500 calories worth of snacks on a boring afternoon (although she certainly had a few of those!)

4. Manners maketh woman

It just wasn't seemly to grab and gobble large quantities of food. Ladies would eat modestly, slowly and daintily making it unlikely that they could shift vast amounts of calories at any meal.

5. No adverts

Elizabeth (lucky girl!) was not exposed to the 10,000 advertising messages a day we are said to get thrown at us these days. So she would not be getting continual bombardment from the media with "Eat me" messages. Turn those commercials off whenever you can!

6. A calmer pace of life

The girls in the Bennett household did not have to hold down a full time job, get the kids to school and dinner on the table. They had servants to take much of the load. If you turn to food when you're stressed, have a look at delegating some of your workload and reducing your commitments. With no TV to keep them up the Bennetts would get plenty of sleep too!

7. Short journeys on foot

Elizabeth would walk miles to wherever she needed to go. Only long distances would call for a horse, carriage or coach. She would burn up lots of calories in this way. What about you? Do you pop in the car to go a mile down the road?

8. Active pursuits

Elizabeth and her sisters would also walk for pleasure - and of course they all loved dancing - fantastic exercise without going to the gym. How about trying salsa dancing, ballet or line-dancing for a fun way to exercise?

9. Nowhere to hide

The fashion of the day was pretty revealing with flimsy material and an Empire line. This is a pretty look if you're slender. But you could expect your dance card to stay unmarked if you looked like a beached whale in a lace curtain.

10. Love helps

Of course a bit of love interest in the shape of tall, dark, proud Mr Darcy helps a girl go off her food a bit too. Now all you need is a dark proud hero of your own!
LondonHijabi
Sis

LondonHijabi has no influence :(

« Reply #9 on: Feb 17, 2008 09:32 PM »

ohhhhhh Mr Darcy!  desibro

The best time to exercise is before eating breakfast.  If we do a good bout of exercise, like a run before breakfast, the increase in metabolic rate will last for a few hours after we stop - we'll be burning fat throughout the morning.

If you dont want to go the gym you can easily get hold of an exercise DVD.

I tried the following in my living room with the curtains closed:

Billy Banks Tae Bo

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Billy-Blanks-Tae-Bo-Energize/dp/B0000DK4P8/ref=pd_sbs_d_h__title_2
(I love this and I can really feel the workout)

Belly Dancing with Veena and Neena

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bellydance-Beginners-Arms-Thighs-REGION/dp/B00005N8AL/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1203283663&sr=1-2

Maybe we can start a thread called 'Madina Weight Watchers' and support each other, compare notes on the foods we ate,  how much weight we lost, how close we are to our target weights, BMI etc.
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #10 on: Mar 02, 2008 09:39 AM »

Well here's mine that actually worked...when I do them that is  rotfl Tongue

-- eat a good breakfast. cereal/bagel/toast/banana whatever you want even if it's a lot.

-- be active 1/2 hour every day no matter what. every other day this should be real exercise like on a treadmill, and the other days it can be like cleaning the house, vacuuming, shoveling snow or any other type of very active thing. for the real exercise stuff try following a tape or watching something while you exercise then you hardly feel it. (my favorite is watching bollywood videos it's like wth how are they sooo skinny and then u just keep going lol)

-- eat regular meals lunch and dinner, but keep the portions down. no dessert.

-- when you get hungry and reallllly want to snack, eat only healthy snacks. stock up on stuff like carrots, berries, oranges, apples, fruits and vegetables and even things like yogurt tubes, peaches parfaits, little fruit cups or jello cups. cheerios are a good snack too.

-- don't eat any real food after 9pm. only the healthy snacks if u absolutely have to.

-- buy a cute water thermos thing and keep it stocked with water and drink it when you're at the computer/watching tv doing nothing.

-- don't eat out. (and if you do stick to vegetarian healthy type stuff like eggplant  or soups etc).

-- let yourself indulge every so often but only after you've earned it Wink (ie done some extra exercise or something)

-- don't bother buying all that "light" stuff. light pancakes, light yogurt, light soup. blah it's usually gross... so eat normal stuff but less of it and stuff that is natural and not processed and low in calories.

-- when you feel that 'bored hungry' brew up some green tea or even just drink the hot water. it's a comfort thing and makes you feel better and since it's water - no calories/is actually helping u.

-- don't buy chips, cookies, soda etc when you go to the store, stick to healthy alternatives as mentioned above. if it's not in the house you can't eat it right?

-- don't buy drinks at starbux/dunkindonuts. they're choc full of phat no matter what it is.

so that's it...good luck to anyone trying to lose weight  flowers4u
sofia
Sis

Reputation Power: 8
sofia has no influence :(

Ya Muqallib Al-Quloob thabbit quloobana ala deenik

« Reply #11 on: Mar 02, 2008 02:19 PM »

As-salaamu alaykum wa rahmatullah,
Good points, jannah...hey, didn't you start this thread? How come you have the best ideas??
Ok, it's winter, and I have curves I've never had before. Here's what I think the problem is.

1) I like to walk, but hate cold weather. Hence, I'm not moving, just relaxing too much trying to stay warm. Exercise (no matter what kind, at least 30+ min/day) does a body good. To a certain extent, you can eat anything (halaal, in moderation) if you're exercising enough.
2) Stress causes weight gain, btw. I ust read about the hormone imbalances related to a whole host of health problems. So reeellllaaaaaxxxxx (I'm usually relaxed too, but apparently not enough). And don't eat fast. Take your time.
3) I also just read about the benefits of eating more fiber. Studies show that fiber keeps us feeling full longer, and are usually derived from healthier foods anyhow. So basically that means I need to eat more fruits and veggies, which brings me to my other social pet peeve, healthier foods are always more expensive, leading to a public health epidemic even more pronounced in lower-income families. Back to my point, fiber fiber fiber. Great for the colon, too! oldshaykh
4) Drink more water, less juice/soda. And tea is better than coffee...there's something about coffee I wanted to mention...it'll come to me later.  oldshaykh  Basically, tea hits the spot on cold, wintery days (and no, I'm not addicted, just have an Arab husband who thinks it's haraam to not have shai twice a day).
5) Eat more times throughout the day. Without knowing it, I had been doing this since I was a baby (much to my mother's annoyance to this day, but she's forgiven me), until recently. I would eat a few bites, and come back in a few minutes/hours to finish. I still can't finish a cup of water in one sitting for some reason, and it annoys my whole family.  Wink  But I noticed that once I confined myself to 3 meals or whatever (due to marriage, work), I gained weight. I'm used to eating like 5+ times a day (smaller portions, though), which I'd love to go back to.
6) As jannah already mentioned, eat a good, well balanced breakfast. By that, I mean, protein and complex carbs (say, eggs and toast, milk and fiber cereal, foul, etc). Just coffee/bagel or just sugary cereals are not going to cut it. Research shows that those who don't eat a good breakfast are more overweight. It'll actually make you crave more carbs throughout the day, since there's no turn-off switch to your brain to stop eating if you only eat carbs, unless you add a few proteins/fats to the picture (and lean meats are good protein, esp. poultry). Which brings me to...
7) Now this one's hard. Avoid any foods sweetened with high fructose/corn syrup (at least not in the top 3 ingredients). You don't even want to know what studies are saying about them now, and how difficult it is to get it off the shelves in stores. If you want dessert, just make it yourself. Avoid store-bought sweetened foods. Sorry, but it had to be said.
8 ) For the fun of it, try to eat sunnah style, esp. for dinner. Like leaning forward. Even better (my Bio/Nutrition class loves doing this now), sit on the floor with your left knee up if you can. Of course, it's not a fard, just mentioning it because it'll really constrict your stomach so you stop eating before you're full. The Prophet (saws) did say, every disease begins in the stomach...
9) Don't eat a few hours before bedtime, and....
10 ) Ideally, try to take a walk after dinner. This is why, masha'Allah, my father is still (too) thin, and my mother gets annoyed at him. I love this desi-habit, btw. Oh yeah, it's winter here. Hence, back to #1.
 hijabisis
Bonus health tidbit: Go organic (or at least natural) - esp. when buying meat/dairy/eggs. Just trust me on this one. Yes, I'm a conspiracy theorist, but the research will soon back me up on this (which it kind of already is, so no surpise there, right?). It costs more, but hey, it's your (and your family's) health.   oldshaykh

"My Lord! Increase me in knowledge." (Qur'aan 20.114)
"Our Lord! We believe, so forgive us, and have mercy on us, for You are the Best of all who show mercy!" (23:109)
"And hold fast, all together, by the rope which Allah (stretches out for you), and be not divided among yourselves..."(3:10)
Hard2Hit
Bro

Reputation Power: 15
Hard2Hit has no influence :(

Taubah

« Reply #12 on: Mar 03, 2008 11:10 AM »

Assalam Alaikum,

Running behind a notorious one year old kid, all day, did it for wifey.

Oh and honey in hot water twice a day can do it for some, as well Smiley

Wasalam.

The knight doesn't wait when he's ill or has cancer brother, the knight fights on... He finds a strategy, changes tactics, and hits hard.
CountlessBlessings
Sis

« Reply #13 on: Mar 03, 2008 12:16 PM »

I have a brand new one: The ultimate appetite suppressant!!  Have someone near and dear to you falsely accused and arrested.  I lost four pounds in just ten days!! Shocked
 Lips Sealed
May Allah give us all refuge from the oppressors.
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #14 on: Mar 04, 2008 06:27 PM »

peace be upon you

Walk regularly everywhere. Seriously, I walk home from the school run it's about ten minutes if I walk fast, the weight has dropped off, and actually my lower half is more toned.

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
kba
Sis

kba has no influence :(

« Reply #15 on: Jul 05, 2008 06:12 AM »

I am pretty late in posting but thought to go ahead and add a few cents...

As for the food, I would say the journal, at least to get an idea not necessarily calories but proteins, vegetables, grains etc.  People say a lot of good things about The Zone.   Ultimately, it has to be something you can tolerate, substitute the things you need to cut out so you don't get complete withdrawal.

For exercise, I really recommend strength type training.  Most women do not do this (they think they are going to get bigger) and focus more on the cardio (like just treadmill, bike etc),  Cardio is good but you wont get as far as you can in the same amount of time.

Also, when you have more muscle, the higher your resting metabolism rate is.  As we get older, we lose muscle, so it gets more important, and weight bearing exercise helps to prevent osteoporosis.

Ackhii
Bro

Ackhii has no influence :(

« Reply #16 on: Jul 06, 2008 08:46 AM »

eat until u lost your hunger, dont eat until,you arent hunger and it will help...thats always what i do and never get weight..
i read somewhere islamic book

stomach(i hope its correct word for magen in german) should be partipicated 3 parts..
1 part for food,
1 part for water
1 part keep empty always

As Salamu Alaikum..
Ackhii
Bro

Ackhii has no influence :(

« Reply #17 on: Jul 06, 2008 08:51 AM »

I am pretty late in posting but thought to go ahead and add a few cents...

Sis nothing to late in this life to do anything, until you are still alive. For new visitors is nothing to late...
Late is when we are death...
Hard2Hit
Bro

Reputation Power: 15
Hard2Hit has no influence :(

Taubah

« Reply #18 on: Jul 23, 2008 06:14 AM »

Assalam Alaikum,

Grapefruit juice in the morning and evening i.e. twice a day, for at least 6 months.

Khallaas !!

The knight doesn't wait when he's ill or has cancer brother, the knight fights on... He finds a strategy, changes tactics, and hits hard.
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #19 on: Jul 23, 2008 11:09 AM »

Assalam Alaikum,

Grapefruit juice in the morning and evening i.e. twice a day, for at least 6 months.

Khallaas !!

That will definitely make you want to throw up everything u ate both morning and evening... yes definitely a good diet  Tongue
Siham
Sis

Reputation Power: 22
Siham barely matters :(Siham barely matters :(

Ahla Haya

« Reply #20 on: Jul 23, 2008 04:41 PM »

... try not eatin' after 7PM insha`Allah

"...Surely my prayer and my sacrifice, my life and my death are for Allah, the Lord of the Worlds..." (Qur'an, 6:162)
Ehsan
Bro

Ehsan has no influence :(

« Reply #21 on: Jul 23, 2008 05:23 PM »

Assalamualaikum!

Erm eating regularly , the right food, in the right proportions at the right time of day with the right islamic guidance ... so many rights cant make a wrong! lol

INFORMING YOU ABOUT ISLAM

um aboodi
Sis

Reputation Power: 26
um aboodi barely matters :(um aboodi barely matters :(

« Reply #22 on: Jul 23, 2008 08:53 PM »

salam

I visited someone I know that I haven't seen for months, and she lost lots of weight in the span of 6 months.  like 20 lbs .  She is on this semi atkins diet, where she eats absolutely no carbs for one week just meat and salad or eggs, and for another week she eats normally but with moderation.  In the long run, this cycling between no carbs and normal diet worked.  But I think she has to stay like this to keep her weight.  I think she exercises too.  What helped her was that her husband also was dieting with her, for moral support and also to lose weight.  And boy did he lose weight ...

It is worth trying I guess ...

take care
wassalam

Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #23 on: Jul 23, 2008 09:12 PM »

salam

Cheesy Cheesy
Assalam Alaikum,

Khallaas !!

That will definitely make you want to throw up everything u ate both morning and evening... yes definitely a good diet  Tongue

He's got a point tho, grapefruits supress your appetite, I love eating the actual grapefruit (not juice which admittedly is really awful) with sugar sprinkled on top...Okaaay I know this is a lose weight thread I'll get my coat....

Mind you this is also why I was not Elizabeth Bennet, fancy being born before Green and Blacks was invented, nothing worth being born for I tell you......

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
Baji
Sis

Reputation Power: 33
Baji is working their way up :)Baji is working their way up :)Baji is working their way up :)

« Reply #24 on: Jul 24, 2008 01:08 PM »

mmm loosing weight....

i have just restarted the gym seriously this week and make sure hubby goes with me so i have no excuse not to go!!!

I also did the semi carb diet mentioned above for 2 weeks with gym every day for an hour and lost 22 pounds in 2 weeks but the problem was once i stopped the diet and came to 'normal moderate eating' as long as i kept the gym the same, i maintained my weight as soon as i stopped the gym my weight increased very very quickly now trying to loose this again...

wish there was just something you could take that would melt the fat away.... guess there is no substitute for hard work though...   (leaving for my step class now....)

Baji
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: