// Tips to losing weight
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: Find a job you like and you add five days to every week.- H J Browne
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tips to losing weight  (Read 6248 times)
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #25 on: Jul 24, 2008 08:05 PM »

ws,

wow 22 pounds in 2 weeks!! what is the semi-carb diet? maybe i could try it in moderation and lose like even 2-3 pounds! Smiley
a_desert_rose
Sis

Reputation Power: 0
a_desert_rose has no influence :(

« Reply #26 on: Aug 30, 2008 02:47 PM »

Grapefruit juice in the morning and evening i.e. twice a day, for at least 6 months.

I've heard that too much grapefruit can cause damage to the joints, is this just a myth???

The semi-carb diet sounds good. Although, Ramadan is coming up, will inshaAllah give me a chance to eat more healthily (if I can keep away from the samosas and pakoras!)
LeylaNur
Sis

LeylaNur has no influence :(

Remembrance of Allah is the true source of peace..

« Reply #27 on: Aug 30, 2008 10:34 PM »

Mmm.. Samosas and pakoras! (Missing Desi food!)

One thing you have to remember with grapefruit juice.. If you are on ANY kind of prescription medication, PLEASE call your doctor or at least your pharmacist and ask if grapefruit juice changes or negates the effect of your medication!  oldshaykh

Again, consuming grapefruit or grapefruit juice and change or negate the effect of some medications. So, if you take them on a regular basis (grapefruit), ALWAYS ask your doctor if it will effect your medication!

I would hate to see someone taking something they NEED to take for their health and/or survival and then going on a grapefruit diet and having their illness flair up for no apparent reason.

Just thought I'd remind you!  flowersis

I try to remember to count my blessings each day because I have many:

To be thankful for my health, and that of my loved ones, the presence of my husband and the continuation of our marriage, that we can pay our bills and have food on the table..

So many blessings but often, so little thanks!
jannah
Administrator

jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #28 on: Apr 28, 2010 09:33 PM »

Salams,

I wanted to write a blog on weight loss tips. I thought we had an old thread but can't find it. Anyone have some tips I can add??
rahma
Sis

Reputation Power: 73
rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)

« Reply #29 on: Apr 29, 2010 01:09 AM »

Get a wii fit!  And a wii fit plus.   It's fun! juggler

rahma
Sis

Reputation Power: 73
rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)

« Reply #30 on: Apr 29, 2010 02:12 PM »

Use smaller dishes.  (Seriously, this works.  You give yourself smaller portions.)

It apparently takes 20 minutes for your brain to register that your stomach is full, so wait before you go back for seconds.  You might find that you don't want to eat more.

For dinner, fill half your plate with salad (with lo cal dressing) and smaller portions of everything else.

Drink water or V8 juice.  Stay away from soda!  Even the diet soda is soooo bad for you.

Lean Cuisines worked for me for a while, but if you've got a family to feed, it's really hard to have a separate dinner just for yourself. 

Those little 60 calorie pudding cups come in handy for cravings.

After dinner, WALK.

There was a recent article on the web that said that older women (over 50) have to exercise for 1 hour every day just to maintain their weight!   Angry  So keep moving...

Yard work is good exercise.  And you'll have a nice garden, too!
Attia
Sis

Reputation Power: 8
Attia has no influence :(

« Reply #31 on: Apr 29, 2010 02:26 PM »

Salaaams - great idea Jannah....

Ok so tips that I've learned and used over the years:

1. Eat smaller portions - that way you can still eat what you like just less of it and there's no 'i will NOT eat x, y, z', because human nature just dictates we'll want to eat whatever it is even more  (usually chocolate) Roll Eyes

2. Always have breakfast, this fills you up and stops you snacking.  And having proper meals mean you snack less as well.  I very rarely snack now, and tend to when I'm hungry and haven't eaten properly - eg this weekend I had a light breakfast and then skipped lunch and went to visit my parents at around 5.  By then I was raiding the kitchen for biscuits, chocolates and anything else I could get my hands on  Embarrassed

3. Try to avoid too many carbs. So what I do as we eat as a family at home and everyone eats the same thing for ease of cooking, I try to avoid carbs and lunch time and have either protein, salad or something light.  I noticed this made a HUGE difference to my stomach, within 2/3 days I was less bloated and my stomach seemed flatter  Smiley

4. I agree with sister rahma about sodas - again even if you drink the diet ones they really bloat you.

5. Learn to listen to your body.  This is the hardest thing I had to learn.  We often eat when we are bored, unhappy, or happy, as an automatic reaction because we think it's 'time' to eat.  So only eat when you're hungry - I measure this by when my stomach growls.  But don't let yourself get to the point where you're running on completely empty and have a headache etc, because then the temptation is to gorge on lots of food...
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #32 on: Apr 29, 2010 03:28 PM »

salam

My foolproof tips on staying slim;

Eat sitting on the floor desi style, I defy anyone to eat till their stomach is utterly full whilst sat on the floor.

Pilates, I adore pilate, it's low impact, you can do it at home (I currently do an hour a day), and you can see a visible difference in about a week, maybe two, depending on which level you are at, and how often you do it. It's also great for general toning.

Be born with good genes.... (OK you might not be able to actually do this one). So basically blame your parents if you cant keep the weight off, it's their fault!

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
Sr.Kathy
Sis

Reputation Power: 18
Sr.Kathy has no influence :(

« Reply #33 on: Apr 29, 2010 04:44 PM »

New way of thinking:
They say to walk before you eat- gets the metabolism going!
The way i lost my 70 lbs is to not diet. Huh?
I eat everything - just cut the portions in half!
Also I really cut down the amount of bread, rice and potatoes I ate... i am a carb junky!

"Allah surely knows the warmth of every teardrop... " Jaihoon
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #34 on: Apr 29, 2010 07:27 PM »

Sr. Kathy you just ate smaller portions and you lost 70 pounds!!! How is that possible!! Please give us the details!! oldshaykh
sparrow
Sis

sparrow has no influence :(

« Reply #35 on: Apr 30, 2010 11:58 AM »

stop eating about 3-4 hrs before you sleep. your metabolism slows down and you gain weight faster....
Fozia
Sis

Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #36 on: Apr 30, 2010 02:10 PM »

salam

Sr Sparrow, do you mean lose weight maybe?
stop eating about 3-4 hrs before you sleep. your metabolism slows down and you gain weight faster....

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
sparrow
Sis

sparrow has no influence :(

« Reply #37 on: Apr 30, 2010 03:37 PM »

ack!
my bad...i meant that if you had to eat just before sleeping, you'd gain weight faster...so Avoid it!
(well. thats what a model once told me...)
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #38 on: Jan 24, 2011 11:26 PM »

Jump start your metabolism... after all our winter bread puddings and things we may need this Wink

http://www.rd.com/slideshows/12-ways-to-jumpstart-your-metabolism/
BrKhalid
Bro

Reputation Power: 27
BrKhalid barely matters :(BrKhalid barely matters :(

« Reply #39 on: Jan 25, 2011 12:16 AM »

Asalaamu Alaikum bro

One sure way of getting your heart racing is to read all these crazy Islamiphobic articles out there!!

Btw hot peppers can increase your metabolism? Seriously Huh?

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]
moderatesufi
« Reply #40 on: Jun 26, 2011 06:23 PM »

Exercise and eating less.

And that isn't exercise once, or miss one meal, and than eat double for your next.
Do and exercise you can do each and everyday, how ever small.
And remove something unhealthy from your diet, that you know will be permanent.
You have always eaten it, but from that day on, you will never eat it again.
If that is too much for you. reduce the quantity of that you will eat.

JustOne
Sis

Reputation Power: 17
JustOne has no influence :(

« Reply #41 on: Jun 27, 2011 08:31 AM »

I did the GM diet.... and I did it to help me kickstart losing weight. So I lost a bunch of weight (and eventually gained it all back)... but the thing I loved about the diet is that it totally cleaned out my system.

I've been suffering from terrible headaches since my second pregnancy came to its third trimester... headaches are gone, alhamdulillah. I had numbness in two of my toes - gone too..

I mean, I was totally surprised at the results. Btw, my husband has done it twice, and has managed to keep off all the weight he has lost each time - he also had a problem with one of his joints, and that pain has disappeared too. So, it could potentially work that way for everyone else Smiley

Fozia
Sis

« Reply #42 on: Jun 27, 2011 10:24 AM »

salam

Don't eat after 7pm, and drink buckets of water.

Just eat moderately make sure you always have breakfast.

Wassalaam

jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #43 on: Jul 12, 2011 06:49 AM »

Simple tricks to lose those last 10 pounds
Small adjustments are all it takes to make that extra weight disappear

You've cleaned up your diet, sweated off countless calories, and watched pounds melt away. But now the scale has come to a screeching halt. What gives?

It's an unfortunate law of weight loss: The last 10 pounds are harder to shed than the first 30. That's because the slimmer you become, the fewer calories you burn just going about your day, explains Madelyn Fernstrom, PhD, founding director of the Weight Management Center at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center and author of The Runner's Diet. For every pound you lose, your metabolism slows by up to 20 calories a day.

But we do have some good news: Easy tweaks to the good habits you've already established can push you past your plateau and help you reach your final weight loss goal.

Healthy Habit: Doing cardio 4 or 5 times a week
Speed Results: Do interval training 3 times a week
Cardio melts calories, but to keep seeing results, ramp up your intensity, too. Canadian researchers found that when women did 10 sets alternating a 4-minute burst of intense cycling followed by 2 minutes of easy pedaling, they burned up to 66% more fat during subsequent aerobic workouts. "Interval training can trigger a boost in metabolism so you burn more fat during low- and moderate-intensity activity, and even at rest," says Jason Talanian, PhD, a researcher at the University of Guelph in Ontario and co-author of the study. You can apply this principle to any workout, whether you're power walking, jogging, or using an elliptical machine: Alternate between a moderate effort that makes you slightly breathless and a vigorous pace that makes speaking more than a couple of words difficult. In a 30-minute interval workout, you'll burn 20% more calories than if you maintained a steady pace — and you'll keep burning more fat afterward.

Healthy Habit: Walking as often as possible
Speed Results: Stand an extra hour a day
It's one of the dirtiest tricks your body can play: The more you exercise, the less you're inclined to stand, walk around, twiddle your thumbs, and generally burn calories during the 23 hours you're not working out. And small changes in standing versus sitting can add up. A study from Iowa State University found that obese women stood for 2 hours less than their lean counterparts — a simple habit researchers say could make a difference of 300 calories a day. Being aware of this potential pitfall can help you outsmart it, though. Standing for an hour more a day — at your desk, in the doctor's waiting room, or at your kids' soccer game — will burn 100 more calories than if you were sitting, says Darcy Johannsen, PhD, RD, a postdoctoral research associate. On the weekends, let your postworkout treat be window-shopping rather than movie watching to prevent a slump in calorie burn.

Healthy Habit: Wearing a pedometer
Speed Results: Set a step goal
Numerous studies show that wearing a pedometer can prompt you to be more active. To maximize your results, set goals and track your progress. People given a specific step goal increased their walking by about a mile a day, while those without a target didn't alter their habits, finds a review of 26 studies in the Journal of the American Medical Association. Start by shooting for an extra 2,000 steps a day, working up to 10,000.

Healthy Habit: Lifting weights
Speed Results: Switch to circuit training
Get a more time-efficient workout and burn a third more calories by doing strength and cardio in one shot. Cardio blasts calories immediately, while strength-training increases metabolism over time, so combining the two gives you the ultimate bang for your buck, says Prevention advisory board member Wayne Westcott, PhD. In a study led by Westcott, exercisers who did a 25-minute circuit routine (alternating 1 minute of weights with 1 minute of cycling) 3 times a week for 12 weeks trimmed their waistlines by 4%. At home, do 1 minute of jumping jacks or easy rope jumping between every strength exercise.

Healthy Habit: Cutting out unhealthy fats
Speed Results: Be a part-time vegetarian
Eating less meat is a proven way to lighten up on the scale. Research shows that vegetarians weigh an average 20% less than nonvegetarians. George Washington School of Medicine researchers found that women who followed a vegan diet for 14 weeks lost 2 1/2 times as much weight as those who limited fat intake. There's no need to go cold turkey — just eating less meat can make a difference. In a Brigham Young University study of 284 women, 53% of those who typically averaged about 10 ounces of meat a day were overweight, compared with 16% of those who ate less than 6 ounces. Plant-based foods are naturally low in calories and high in nutrients and satiating fiber, so you feel full without overdoing it, says Gabrielle M. Turner-McGrievy, RD. A cup of lentil soup, a small handful of nuts, or 1/4 cup of chickpeas tossed with whole-wheat pasta and veggies are all good protein-rich swaps. Not ready to nix meat altogether? Start by trying three vegetarian dinners a week for a month to allow your tastebuds to adjust. (Trust us, they will — in another weight loss study of new vegetarians versus low-fat dieters, a third more of the vegetarians had stuck with the diet a year later.)

Healthy Habit: Boxing up half your entree
Speed Results: Munch a pre-meal apple
An apple a day could keep the pounds away, suggest Pennsylvania State University researchers. Diners who had an apple 15 minutes before an all-you-can-eat pasta lunch ate 187 fewer calories than those who skipped the snack. At 65 calories per cup, the apple fills you up. "Starting a meal with a lower-calorie food leaves less room for high-calorie entrées, so you naturally eat less," says Julie Flood, PhD, a nutrition researcher formerly with Penn State. Try a veggie platter with hummus or a tossed salad for a similar effect.

Healthy Habit: Watching portion size
Speed Results: Be extra-vigilant on weekends
Shrinking portions is a no-brainer for weight loss, but when it comes to zapping stubborn pounds, lax weekend habits could cause the scale to stick. Even dieters on calorie-controlled plans average an extra 420 calories a weekend (starting Friday night), finds a Washington University School of Medicine study — enough to stall weight loss. To be a weekend calorie warrior, avoid temptation at home and out. Using smaller plates could instantly cue you to eat less, research shows. Away from home, carry a healthy, portable snack (like raw veggies) and steer clear of the food court.

Healthy Habit: Keeping a food diary
Speed Results: Track calories online
Dieters who jotted down what they ate lost twice as much weight as those who didn't keep a record, research shows. Stay extra-accountable by logging your meals and workouts for free at prevention.com/healthtrackers; you'll also get colorful side-by-side graphs of your calorie balance.
JustOne
Sis

Reputation Power: 17
JustOne has no influence :(

« Reply #44 on: Jul 12, 2011 03:14 PM »

wow this is an old thread Tongue
um aboodi
Sis

Reputation Power: 26
um aboodi barely matters :(um aboodi barely matters :(

« Reply #45 on: Jul 12, 2011 03:25 PM »

salam

We never grow tired of this subject sr. JustOne  Grin

Women have this love hate relationship with food and thus are always on the look for tips to tone up and lose weight. 

There is a new trendy diet called The Dukan diet, anyone heard of it or tried it?  A  friend on FB raves about it.  She lost 17 kgs!!! It is a new way to look at food and reduce carbs consumption. 

wassalam
Cinders
Sis

Reputation Power: 25
Cinders barely matters :(Cinders barely matters :(

« Reply #46 on: Jul 13, 2011 08:02 AM »

Assalamu Alaiykum,

Losing weight can be achieved, and lots of it. A well-known British actress who lost almost 6stones.

Have a look at the link

http://uk.lifestyle.yahoo.com/tv-star-pauline-quirke’s-amazing-weight-loss.html

Having said that, I never diet... not because I'm ultra skinny..dieting just tends to get me down Sad. It actually makes me eat more when I think about low carbs, calories...etc etc... Alhamdulillah, I feel & look ok about the way I look. I should exercise more in order to tone up, but of course I don't  Smiley

Allah made us all beautiful  Wink. We should eat everything in moderation, and maintain a balanced diet ad exercise. An odd treat every so often is cool.  bebzi

وَلَسَوْفَ يُعْطِيكَ رَبُّكَ فَتَرْضَىٰ

And soon will your Lord give you so that you shall be well pleased.
Al Qur'an (93:5)
akhan
Bro

Reputation Power: 107
akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)

« Reply #47 on: Jul 13, 2011 11:19 AM »

I don't think it is healthy to diet and deprive yourself of everything. I just eat everything and burn it off, works pretty good and better than dieting.
Fozia
Sis

« Reply #48 on: Jul 13, 2011 01:41 PM »

salam

I don't think it is healthy to diet and deprive yourself of everything. I just eat everything and burn it off, works pretty good and better than dieting.

Just you wait till you hit your mid twenties....

I think it's different for guys tho, women have childbirth to contend with & that totally messes with your physique & metabolism.

Wassalaam

moderatesufi
« Reply #49 on: Jul 13, 2011 02:06 PM »

Eat less, exercise more.
Sounds simple enough?
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: