// post-Badr....
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: "You leave the best of worship: humility." - A'isha (May Allah be pleased with her)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: post-Badr....  (Read 2472 times)
JustOne
Sis

Reputation Power: 17
JustOne has no influence :(

« on: Feb 10, 2010 11:14 AM »

Salaam..

I was listening to something the other day... I think it was after the battle of Badr... the Prophet (s) asked the Sahabah what they thought should be done with their prisoners of war...

Abu Bakr (r) said they should be ransomed, and Omar (r) said they should executed. The Prophet (s) ended up following Abu Bakr's (r) advice... but then the following day, the Prophet received a wahih that they should have executed the prisoners that survived the battle and if the people who fought in Badr were not blessed in some special way, Allah ta'Ala would have punished the Muslims for the decision that they had made....

I find that really harsh. Almost to the point where it's unbearable for me to think about. It gets my mind going to places like... humanity vs. religion - are they really compatible...

Now... the thing is... I get that I don't get it, that perhaps I don't have the capacity to understand something as complex as this.  That I don't understand what took place at the time, that the significance of the battle of Badr somehow maybe hasn't permeated my spirit yet...

[As a side note, I visited Badr last year, and again, it was something that affected me deeply - it was the simplicity of the battleground that really struck me... I'm not sure what I was expecting, but it's "plainness" just took my breath away...]

I don't know what to do with this information... The thing is, I think Allah ta'Ala exposes you to things on purpose.  If I was not meant to hear that detail, anything could have prevented it from happening.  But now that I have this information - what do I do with it? Especially since it's all I can think about it...

Wasalaam.
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #1 on: Feb 10, 2010 11:29 AM »

salam

What was the reason behind the battle of Badr, who fought in it?

I should know, the details are very hazy tho.

The answer possibly lies in the above.

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
JustOne
Sis

« Reply #2 on: Feb 10, 2010 11:29 AM »

Sorry I just had to add.... some of the non-Muslims survivors of the Battle of Badr eventually accepted Islam (such as Abu Bakr's (r) oldest son - who fought against the Muslims in Badr)...  if they had been executed that day, they would have died as non-believers.  

Really... this is consuming a lot of my mental sanity.  

Wasalaam.
JustOne
Sis

« Reply #3 on: Feb 10, 2010 11:37 AM »

Ohh... I'm not really good with battles....

We never learnt Islam in school, everything I picked up was out of personal interest, and war and aggression somehow escape my priority list (see... another thing is my whole 'i don't believe in violence' stance)...

But the Battle of Badr was the first that the Muslims fought.  The Muslims were outnumbered about 300 to about 1000, and they hadn't intentionally set off for battle, but had to fight anyway because the Quraish had sent an army...

Eventually... an army of angels was sent in to fight alongside the Muslims (although... it's a hadith that the Muslims would have won anyway, because it was decreed by Allah - the army of angels was only sent to lift the spirits of the the Muslims)

I think 13 muslims were martyred (interestingly, 4 of them were brothers... i gathered this from their names at the battleground... it made me cry)...   

Ok... that's all I know.
UBAB
Bro

Reputation Power: 3
UBAB has no influence :(

2 [agree] or not 2 [disagree]-that is the question

« Reply #4 on: Feb 10, 2010 03:24 PM »

The battles during the Prophet (Saw) time is sacred with great meaning , please  read Ar-Raheeq Al-Makhtum (THE SEALED NECTAR) by Saifur Rahman al-Mubarakpuri

I prefer it you buy it, but it can be found online..

http://www.2muslims.com/books/alraheeq.pdf

thobebro
   UBAB

Your heart will not truly open until you understand Surah 21 : Verse 92  (Al-Anbiya: The Prophets)

Help Build the Community! Visit:
Madinat al-Muslimeen > The City > Naseeha Corner > Community Toolbox
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #5 on: Feb 11, 2010 05:37 AM »

ws,

I agree with reading the above books of Seerah on the whole. It's so easy for us to single out one event or decision and look at it now 14 centuries later with our filtered lenses and say judgmental like 'well that's not very humanitarian like now is it' (i know ur not justone! i've seen missionaries do this all the time tho). I mean there could have been a million reasons why they should have been killed. (Now, the rule is we know we aren't allowed to kill prisoners of war but then). There were ppl during the time of the prophet saw that were killed because they were traitors, liars and committed other acts that were completely detrimental to the objective of Islam at the time. Is that wrong? No it's not wrong. If you want to look at it just as a "religion", as a religion it has the right to protect itself and its ppl. The people that fought at Badr were completely blood-thirsty. Their goal was to completely destroy and decimate the Muslims once and for all. Don't forget all the torture the Muslims were undergoing. There is a reason their Islam was being kept secret. The enemies at Badr were people who would stop at nothing and went to battle against their servants and even family members to keep their status quo. Those who lived caused enormous problems for the Muslims. Don't forget there were many battles after that including Uhud where the non-Muslims sought revenge for what happened in Badr. Yes, one person may have become Muslim, but so might a serial killer on death row. Should we let him go for his crimes then?

If we look at this as 'wahy from God', then we know there is a reason and wisdom to why things were done and why they were rebuked over the decision they made.

This is all speculation on my part, but hope it gives a little perspective. . I'll try to look up the exact details for the event u mentioned inshaAllah
BrKhalid
Bro

Reputation Power: 27
BrKhalid barely matters :(BrKhalid barely matters :(

« Reply #6 on: Feb 11, 2010 07:10 AM »

Asalaamu Alaikum  bro

The verses of the Qur’an which pertain to the above incident are as follows:

It is not fitting for a prophet that he should have prisoners of war until he hath thoroughly subdued the land. Ye look for the temporal goods of this world; but Allah looketh to the Hereafter: And Allah is Exalted in might, Wise.

Had it not been for a previous ordainment from Allah, a severe penalty would have reached you for the (ransom) that ye took.

But (now) enjoy what ye took in war, lawful and good: but fear Allah: for Allah is Oft-forgiving, Most Merciful.

[8:67-69]

A good tafsir should give some background on the above verses and some more clarification.

On the topic of seerah, 'Muhammad - His life based on the earliest sources' by Martin Lings is also a worthy read.

An extract of this book explaining the battle can be found in the following link:

http://www.jannah.org/morearticles/2.html

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]
JustOne
Sis

« Reply #7 on: Feb 11, 2010 10:37 AM »

I think "The Sealed Nectar" as well as the Martin Lings book are really good suggestions... I will pick them up inshaAllah as future projects.

You're right Jannah... I think I'm really missing the essence of Badr ... and I need to thoroughly read up on it. 

Things can just be so overwhelming at times .... I'm consciously making an effort to read Islamic books, and just falling across things like this can send my boat rocking - that's very scary.

Thanks everyone
Wasalaam.
se7en
Sis

Reputation Power: 11
se7en has no influence :(

« Reply #8 on: Feb 14, 2010 10:31 AM »

as salaamu alaykum,

I can understand that it may seem harsh, but this ruling is the exception rather than the rule.  If Allah (swt) wanted, He could have made it part of the Shari'ah that ALL prisoners of war, at any time and in any circumstances, should be immediately killed.  But we know that's not the case - in most cases, prisoners of war were given many options and are also dealt with in a very decent and humane way, and ransomed even at times at a very paltry sum - in some incidents in the seerah some were freed for simply teaching some sahaba how to read and write.  There are many examples of this throughout the seerah and the life of the khulafa ar-rashidun.  The question is, what makes this incident different?  Why such a "harsh" ruling when our deen is in it's normative state one of mercy and ease?  There must be something here, wouldn't you say?

It's just like in the Quran - we find that every surah begins with Bismillahir Rahman ar-Raheem (In the Name of Allah, The Merciful, the Compassionate).  Every single surah begins this way - except one, the 9th surah, Surah Tawba.  Knowing that, we have to come to the conclusion that there is something particular or special about that surah that makes it different, not that we can draw a conclusion about the whole from this particular part.

I think it's a matter of understanding the historical context of the situation.  The prisoners of war that were taken were people who were openly and actively aggressive and hostile against the Muslims; and who would simply return after being freed to that same type of aggression, at a time when the Muslims were still in a vulnerable and precarious situation.  In one commentary I read they describes these POW as "arch-criminals" who had tortured and killed innocent Muslim for their faith.  

You have inspired me to re-read Martin Ling's book on Seerah, which is one of my favorites for its writing style and for somehow capturing the emotion and passion of the events that took place.  I would definitely recommend reading it, it gives a different take than most other books which I've found sort of dry, over-detailed, etc.  There's also a great tape set by Sh. Hamza Yusuf of Muhammad saw.

btw, an awesome duaa that was often said by the Prophet saw is the following: Ya Muqallib al-quloob, thabbit qalbee 'alaa deenik.  O Turner of Hearts, keep my heart firm and steadfast on Your deen.

It's such a beautiful duaa, that shows that our hearts can change so quickly... even the word for heart in Arabic, qalb, implies something that moves, flips, changes.  So we have to constantly ask Allah to keep our hearts in a state of firmness and steadiness, immersed in recognizing Him, loving Him, remembering Him.

May Allah grant all of us steadiness and sureness on this path,

wasalaam,
womack
Bro

Reputation Power: 0
womack has no influence :(

b/w Fear and Love of Allah [swt]

« Reply #9 on: Feb 14, 2010 07:19 PM »

bisms
assalamualaikum

its my first post for this topic.

Well i guess indeed this a sensitive topic matter with the intention seriousness of that event.If a drawback comes in the way it actually teaches to learn from mistakes and avoid to repeat.We also know about the 80th Sura of Quran Abasa in which Allah is in a little bi harsh mode for Prophet  saw for not paying attention to a person who want to know about Islam but it gave am message to the believers to avoid these mistakes.Afterall Prophets are humanbeings.
Now come to the topic i read about it from Seeratun Nabi  saw By Tibri.
It is narrated from syedina Umer Bin Khattab radiahu on the day of badr Allah gave victory to Muslims and defeated the Mushrikeene Mecca ,in which 70 Mushrikeen were killed and same number of people were made prisoners.
On that Prophet  saw consulted with Syedina Abu Bakr  radiahu ,Syedina Ali  radiahu and with me (Syedina Umer Bin Khattab  radiahu).Syedina Abu Bakr  radiahu replied Ya Rasoolul Allah saw they are from your progeny and from your family and i think you should take ransom and free them on it, it will strengthen our position and in future may be Allah  swt blessed them with Islam.Then Prophet  saw asked me Ya ibne Khattab  radiahu what is you view?.I replied indeed my decision is not that of Abu Bakr radiahu my view is bring them those prisoner so that i execute them and send them to the brother of Hamza  radiahu and syedina Ali  radiahu to kill them.So that they know they there is no place in our heart for Kafirs and they were Patron of their tribes.But Prophet  saw accepted the decision of Syedina Abu Bakr  radiahu,and denied my judgement and took the ransom.
The Next day i came to Prophet  saw I saw that Prophet  saw and syedina Abu Bakr radiahu are sitting crying,i asked Ya Rasool ul Allah  saw tell me also why are you two crying so that i aslo cry and if there is nothing such then i will still cry for your grief.
Prophet  saw replied by accepting the ransom ,i am informed by Revealation that The Lord's Punishment is coming on us which is near as this tree,Prophet  saw pointed towards a tree which was near.Now the next year in the battle of Uhud the Muslims got the punishment when 70 Companions martyred and same number of people became prisoners,Prophet  saw was badly injured with wounds on face and broke 4 teeths and they tored off the hut (khaima) or tent of Prophet  saw and many Comapnions escape went up the mountain

This was a passage from Tibri Seeratun Nabi  saw.

[/size][/color]

قال رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم:إذا دخل شهر رمضان فتحت أبواب السماء، وغلقت أبواب جهنم، وسلسلت الشياطين: البخارى:3103
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: