Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: Cognizance: The Prophet said: 'The similitude of the one who contemplates his Lord versus the one who does not is that of the living versus the dead.' (Sahîh Bukhârî, Sahîh Muslim)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shaheed or Abdus Shaheed???  (Read 1861 times)
Abdullah (*
Bro

Reputation Power: 0
Abdullah (* has no influence :(

« on: Feb 10, 2010 09:27 PM »

As salaamu alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu! My given name is Denzell Jackson, but since i've become muslim, I've been wanting to change it legally. I usually go by Abdullah and want my muslim name to be Abdullah Shaheed Zakiyyuddeen. A very wise muslim told me I couldn't be Shaheed because that was one of the names of Allah. I told him in reference of Allah it means The Witness. I intended on the meaning of martyr. He said it didn't matter because a martyr bears witness with their lives. I'd VERY MUCH appreciate any opinions, ideas, comments or anything from anyone. ESPECIALLY any resources that i may use from an Imam or scholar. Thanks!

Then Which Of The Favors Of Your Lord Will You Deny?
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #1 on: Feb 11, 2010 05:14 AM »

wsalam,

shaheed literally means witness and we are all witnesses as we have proclaimed ash-hadu anna la ilaaha illallah. it also has the meaning of martyr.

al-shaheed means THE Witness meaning Allah

I don't see any problem with the name you've chosen really w'Allahu alam. But if you are extremely worried about it you could just change it to Abdullah Abdul-Shaheed Zakiyyudeen which would mean Servant of God, Servant of The Witness, Purifier of the Deen  or if you went with Abdullah Shaheed... you'd be Servant of Allah, A witness/martyr, Purifier of the Deen. Good to ask your Imam if you like...

ws

JustOne
Sis

Reputation Power: 17
JustOne has no influence :(

« Reply #2 on: Feb 11, 2010 10:39 AM »

I think there are certain names of God which don't require the "Abdul" prefix... Allahu Alam...

The best example I can think of is "Ali" ...

So yeah... best to check with a scholar?
Barr
Sis

Reputation Power: 8
Barr has no influence :(

« Reply #3 on: Feb 13, 2010 02:56 AM »

Assalamualaikum

I agree with Sr Jannah, that the absoluteness of AL-Shaheed belongs to ALlah. Whereas shaheed could also refer to a human who dies in the path of ALlah.

On another note a son of a sheikh whom I know is called Ahmad Shaheed...

Though I would like to throw another variable. InshaALlah, for proper pronunciation.

shaahid versus shaheed

The first one is a witness (human) but based on, matters such as needing a witness for one's marriage. That witness is called a shaahid.

Allahua'lam.. there may be other differing opinions.
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #4 on: Feb 13, 2010 07:43 AM »

Good points sr. Barr!

I looked up shahid and shaheed in Hans-Wehr:

Shaheed plural Shuhuda' witness; martyr, one killed in battle with the infidels; one killed in action

Shaahid plural Shuhood witness; notary public; evidence; attestation; quotation serving as textual evidence; testimony... etc etc..

se7en
Sis

Reputation Power: 11
se7en has no influence :(

« Reply #5 on: Feb 14, 2010 08:50 AM »

as salaamu alaykum,

Congratulations on becoming Muslim!  It must be such an amazing feeling to know that all your past sins and mistakes have been washed away, and you're like a new born baby, with a fresh page and a fresh start to your life!  

I asked a student at Al-Azhar about using the name 'Shaheed', and he doesn't think that there's any problem with doing so, because Allah Himself uses the word in the Quran to describe human beings in Surat al-Aadiyat (Ch. 100):

إِنَّ الْإِنسَانَ لِرَبِّهِ لَكَنُودٌ

وَإِنَّهُ عَلَىٰ ذَ‌ٰلِكَ لَشَهِيدٌ

Innal insaana liRabbihi lakanud, wa innahu ala dhalika lashaheed (verses 6 and 7)

'Truly man is to his Lord ungrateful; and to that fact he bears witness (by his deeds).'

I also wanted to point out that you may want to discuss with a scholar or someone knowledgeable about changing your last name.  As far as I know, one should keep their last name to preserve one's lineage and it's only the first name that can be changed.  Even the first name doesn't *have* to be changed, it's only if the name is in contradiction to a teaching of Islam.  In some cases, I think it may actually be better to keep your old name so that your friends and family don't feel alienated, or that you've adopted a culture that's not your own, etc.  But I know that some people like to change their name as a way of having a fresh start and to feel closer to Islam.  It's a personal decision I guess Smiley

May Allah guide you always to the truth and keep your heart and mind enlightened and inspired by Islam,

salaam,

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: