Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: Constantly choosing the lesser of two evils is still choosing evil. - Jerry Garcia
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Student detained over Arabic flashcards, lawsuit says  (Read 817 times)
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« on: Feb 11, 2010 04:33 AM »

Student detained over Arabic flashcards, lawsuit says

WASHINGTON (AFP) – Federal agents handcuffed, detained and "abusively" interrogated a US student at Philadelphia International Airport because he was carrying Arabic flashcards, a lawsuit claimed Wednesday.

The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) filed a lawsuit against FBI agents, police and others on behalf of Nicholas George, saying the 22-year-old was held for nearly five hours at the airport in August and missed his flight back to school in California as a result.

The complaint also linked his arrest at an airport screening checkpoint to a book critical of US foreign policy that he was carrying -- "Rogue Nation: American Unilateralism and the Failure of Good Intentions," by Clyde Prestowitz.

US Transportation Security Administration (TSA) screeners detained George and he was "abusively interrogated" by a TSA supervisor, who asked him about his views on the September 11, 2001 attacks, according to the complaint filed in the US District Court in Philadelphia.

George was asked whether he knew "who did 9/11," what language Al-Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden spoke and why the English-Arabic flashcards were "suspicious."

He was then handcuffed and left in a locked cell for two hours before two FBI agents interrogated him for half an hour, the ACLU said, adding that their client was never informed of his rights or told why he was being held.

George, a senior physics and Middle Eastern studies major at Pomona College, was questioned about his travels to Muslim and Arabic-speaking countries, including Jordan where he spent a semester studying abroad, and who he met there.

"As someone who travels by plane, I want TSA agents to do their job to keep flights safe," he said in a statement. "But I don't understand how locking me up and harassing me just because I was carrying the flashcards made anybody safer."

The lawsuit seeks monetary damages for alleged violations of George's constitutional rights to free speech and to be free from unreasonable seizure.

George has studied Arabic since his first year at university "in order to be able to read and understand what was being reported and debated in contemporary Middle Eastern newspapers, television programs and other publications or media," the lawsuit explained.

The flashcards he had with him, which have an English word on one side and its Arabic equivalent on the other, are widespread.

"Nick George was handcuffed, locked in a cell for hours and questioned about 9/11 simply because he has chosen to study Arabic, a language that is spoken by hundreds of millions of people around the world," said Ben Wizner, staff attorney with the ACLU National Security Project.

"This sort of harassment of innocent travelers is a waste of time and a violation of the Constitution."

news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20100211/ts_alt_afp/usattacksrightsarabic
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #1 on: Feb 11, 2010 11:00 PM »

This could be comedy... except it's real.

Nicholas George: “The four hours that I was in there, I could see them just pouring over my flashcards like they were going to find some secret on them. I saw them photocopying my flashcards. I heard them describing it on their phones to some superior, like, you know, ‘Well, it’s a small piece of paper with English writing on one side and Arabic writing on the other side.’ And the longer I was in there, it went—you know, you have the time to transition from being shocked to being really angry and saying, you know, this is just wrong, that they have nothing on me, I’ve done nothing wrong, and here I am locked in a cell for four hours.”
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: