Madinat al-Muslimeen Community

Login with username, password and session length

From the news...

Now playing: Famous Muslim literary quotes.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Chocolate  (Read 6387 times)
BrKhalid
Bro

Reputation Power: 27
BrKhalid barely matters :(BrKhalid barely matters :(

« on: Feb 11, 2010 11:02 AM »

Asalaamu Alaikum bro

With all this talk of chocolate on the board recently, I thought I would find out what was considered the world’s top chocolates. bro

I pulled out this list below from a bit of googling but it seems very British!!

See if you agree; I’ve added a few comments of my own in brackets.

Maybe others can add favourites from their own part of the world. bro

The Top 10

10. Maltesers

Maltesers has a rough spherical malt honeycomb centre, which is surrounded by milk chocolate

[Very addictive once you open a pack. Does anyone remember when they used to be sold in boxes with two layers rather than the modern day packets?]

9. Kit Kat

This chocolate consists of several layers of crème-filled wafer layered with smooth milk chocolate.

[Marketed in the UK along the lines of ‘have a break, have a Kit Kat’. Original 4 finger bar still far superior to the newer ‘chunky’ version]

8. Twirl

The original Twirl bar came as single finger, whose approximate size was that of a standard Cadbury's Flake bar. It got repackaged in 1984 and thereafter was available as a twin bar.

[I can’t believe this is down at #8!! All the scrumptious goodness of a Flake without all those messy crumbs; should definitely be in the Top 3!!]

7. Mars Bar

This is the most filling chocolate – containing plain nougat, almonds, caramel and milk chocolate.

[The most filing? The most iconic surely? A Mars a day still helps you ‘work, rest and play’]

6. Lindor's Milk Chocolate Truffles

The Lindor Trio Indulgence Pack has three creamy, milk chocolate truffles. The packaging is quite attractive and acts as a good gift item

[At #6, we see the entry of the Swiss; famed for their banking and their chocolate. Well at least one will survive the financial crisis Wink]

5. Cadbury's Dairy Milk

This is probably the yummiest and mouth watering chocolate bar that you can dig your teeth into. Everyone is crazy about its rich creamy flavor

[Why is this down at #5 then, surely this should be #1 Huh? The Gold Standard by which all chocolate should be measured by bro ]

4. Milka chocolate

This chocolate brand is originally from Germany. Usually sold in bar form, holiday shapes and also in a variety of specialty forms, the name “MILKA” consists of Milch and Kakao (Milk and Cacao in German)

[And there I was thinking the name was an instruction for husbands to fleece their very rich wives!! How inventive of the Germans!! Wink

Having tasted some of this chocolate, however, it fully deserves its high ranking in the charts]

3. Cadbury Flake

Another popular sweet delicacy, this one just melts in your mouth. It is a bar of thinly folded milk chocolate.

[Would be even higher if it wasn’t for those messy crumbs but fantastic when added to ice cream!!]

2. Terry's Chocolate Orange

This was originally sold in United Kingdom, but it’s now available all over the globe. A ball of chocolate mixed with orange oil, is divided into 20 "segments", just as similar to a real orange, and it is wrapped up in an orange-colored foil.

[Only one in the Top 10 I’ve never had. Have I really missed out here Huh?]

And the #1 Chocolate in the World is:

1.Galaxy Minstrels

An ideal sweet tooth – this one is smooth and it’s a creamy milk chocolate in a crisp shell

[Sold in the UK with the line, ‘the only chocolate that melts in your mouth and not in your hand’ but surely licking chocolate off your fingers is one of life’s rare pleasures? bro

A worth Top 10 entrant but #1?]

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #1 on: Feb 11, 2010 08:24 PM »

wsalam,

nice list!!! this means there is chocolate out there that i haven't tried yet  Shocked

must go shopping nowwwwwww hehe bolt
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #2 on: Feb 12, 2010 09:31 AM »

salam

The only one I have not eaten is the milka cocolate.

Terry's chocolate orange is basically orange flavoured dark chocolate in the shape of a sphere..... I'm not mad keen on it to be honest. It's more marketed as a christmas time chocolate to be honest, along with tins of roses and quality streets.

I absoloutely adore flake bars tho, there's something about the flaky chocolate...........

Minstrels bizarrely are my favourite, it might be the fact that they are sold in pouches, I get the largest size available, they're very moorish, you have to eat the entire packet.........
However the marketing gimmick for minstrels is not the only chocolate to melt in your mouth not in your hands, that's the M&M's line. Minstrels is a galaxy brand, they tend to market their chocolate as high end posh, luxury chocolate!

Many years ago when I worked as a sales girl part time whilst studying, we had a team bonding course type thing, and they gave us quizes to do and challenges etc, amongst others there was this one where we had to fill in the blanks and all the blanks were a type of chocolate...I my team won that one!

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
BrKhalid
Bro

« Reply #3 on: Feb 14, 2010 05:56 AM »

Asalaamu Alaikum bro

Apparently Minstrels are very popular amongst the X chromosome population which further adds to my speculation that this list was written by a woman since how else can you explain the lack of Snickers or a Yorkie bar in the Top 10? Wink

However the marketing gimmick for minstrels is not the only chocolate to melt in your mouth not in your hands, that's the M&M's line

You know I was so certain that was the tagline for Minstrels that I was actually forced to refer to Wikipedia!!!

Behold this is what they have to say on the topic:

"Minstrels are milk chocolate buttons with a hard glazed shell sold in several countries including the UK, Ireland, South Africa, Cyprus, France and Spain.

They originally had the slogan "They melt in your mouth, not in your hands", the same one used by M&M's in the United States (also used to market M&M's in the UK in the 1980s and 1990s)"

I think I’ve been eating chocolate for waaay too long!!  bro

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]
se7en
Sis

Reputation Power: 11
se7en has no influence :(

« Reply #4 on: Feb 14, 2010 09:48 AM »

as salaamu alaykum,

tsk tsk br. Khalid I can't believe I'm seeing such British discrimination from you!  Where's the Twix, the Hershey's, the M&M's... most importantly, where the Reeses Peanut Butter Cups!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 
BrKhalid
Bro

« Reply #5 on: Feb 16, 2010 05:08 AM »

Asalaamu Alaikum bro

I can't believe I'm seeing such British discrimination from you!  Where's the Twix, the Hershey's, the M&M's... most importantly, where the Reeses Peanut Butter Cups!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discrimination? Moi?

Some of my best friends are American chocolate lovers Wink

But seriously, I remember when a work colleague came back from America once and brought back some Reese’s. Suffice to say they didn’t last the day!!!

I’m not sure if they are sold in the UK but over here they have the Reese’s Nutrageous bar which is like a Snickers bar combined with the chocolatey goodnees of Reese’s peanut butter cups!!

Great for a snack, absolutely woeful for diets! bro

jannah
Administrator

jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #6 on: Feb 16, 2010 07:38 AM »

What is this nutrageous you speak of sir?? I can't believe there's all this chocolate in the world that I've just never tried. What a shame!!  :'(

P.S. I made a whole batch of walnut brownies last night thinking about this thread, cut them all up nice and put them in tupperware and ate ONLY ONE (ok a big ONE...and err maybe a half 3/4ish more). And despite only having one brother at home, this morning the box was EMPTY only crumbs and a walnut left..... gloomy
Fozia
Sis

Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #7 on: Feb 16, 2010 10:57 AM »

salam

Sr Jannah,. sounds like you have chocolate gremlins... I do too, you know, I onlny ever remember eating one minstrel from a family size pouch come morning there is only empty packaging left!!! Worse still my girls turn their nose up at chocolate, they're both fruit freaks!!!!

We do have Reeses now here I've bought the Reeses peanut butter cups, but someone else ate them! I absolutely adore Reeses pieces, when any of our american staff go to the states they bring back humungous bags of Reeses pieces, they tend to last right up to the afternoon Undecided

I always always try new chocolate.sweets on the market, if it's halal and confectionery I have tasted it!

What I really want to try tho is taffy, it's that dratted Friends eipsode where Ross gets Taffy, I've never had Taffy...I want Taffy :'(

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
Shahida
Sis

Reputation Power: 47
Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)

Hasbi Allah wa ni3mal wakeel!

« Reply #8 on: Feb 16, 2010 11:16 AM »

Salam

Gosh you guys...I love chocolate, and am saddened by the fact that I have missed out on so so so so many good chocos...mmm...

Whenever I travel, I buy new chocolates, I havent tasted before (sometimes even in the airports, there are real treasures to be found...) never had reeses though, but it sounds yummy...butter cups?

I havent had a chocolate in a long time, I better get out of this thread before the temptation overcomes me, and I fall off the "I will not eat chocolate"-wagon. Tongue

Yummy yum yum
Salam
S.
Barr
Sis

Reputation Power: 8
Barr has no influence :(

« Reply #9 on: Feb 17, 2010 12:40 AM »

Assalamualaikum,

I am afraid I have tried all of those top ten during my hi-on-chocolate days. And my favourite was Terry's Oranges, and I had a special way of eating them. The rule of the thumb is - no chewing.

I thought I would never come to this, but 10 years later -  I have actually outgrown chocolates!

Fozia
Sis

« Reply #10 on: Feb 17, 2010 09:46 AM »

salam

I'm sure I'm older than you Sr Barr, one never outgrows chocolate.

As far as I can see there's not much going for adulthood except for the one fact I can purchase confectonary with abandon, do not take that away from me........ I hope never to outgrow chocolate!!!!!!!!

Wassalaam

tq
Sis

Reputation Power: 18
tq has no influence :(

« Reply #11 on: Feb 17, 2010 02:05 PM »

Assalamo elikuim
I'm sure I'm older than you Sr Barr, one never outgrows chocolate.

Being older than Sr.Barr and Sr.Fozia both, 1 100% agree with this statement, one never out grows chocolate Smiley.

Wasalam
Some who loves eating chocolate cake with chocolate icecream topped with chocolate Smiley

Barr
Sis

Barr has no influence :(

« Reply #12 on: Feb 17, 2010 02:24 PM »

Wa'alaikumussalam warahmatullah,

Don't be so sure, Sr Fozia. For, I am actually older than you... maybe less mature, but surely, older. Can't say for Sr TQ since you never revealed your age Wink

But really, the last time I ate chocolate was last week when my husband brought chocolate bars from his trip and that was to finish up the remnants of my daughter's leftover. I took a bite and gave my husband the rest. And then I thought, maybe I should eat more, but I just took a small bite and then, I'm like... that's enough! Tongue  And before that - I can't remember the last time I ate it.

But I do like chocolate in my deserts. Smiley
sofia
Sis

sofia has no influence :(

Ya Muqallib Al-Quloob thabbit quloobana ala deenik

« Reply #13 on: Feb 18, 2010 01:17 AM »

As-salaamu alaykum, fellow chocolate lovers,

One question: Where is the TobleroneHuh? That's my #1 chocolate pick, followed by the rest on this list (have almost tried them all).

Side story:
My husband and I recently tried out a chocolate experiment: we compared an American Kit Kat with a European Kit Kat. 
Hypothesis: Shouldn't be much of a difference, right?
Observation: European Kit Kat chocolate was creamier, smoother, less chalky.
Result: European chocolate is *much* better. Haven't had Hershey's since.

All in the name of science, my friends. Your welcome.  sis

"My Lord! Increase me in knowledge." (Qur'aan 20.114)
"Our Lord! We believe, so forgive us, and have mercy on us, for You are the Best of all who show mercy!" (23:109)
"And hold fast, all together, by the rope which Allah (stretches out for you), and be not divided among yourselves..."(3:10)
tq
Sis

Reputation Power: 18
tq has no influence :(

« Reply #14 on: Feb 18, 2010 01:48 PM »

Assalamo elikuim

Can't say for Sr TQ since you never revealed your age
Sr Barr , lets just say that I am so old that when I did high school INtel introduced 486 series of microprocessor- that was the latest thing Smiley Smiley

One question: Where is the Toblerone

Yes, where is Toblerone? ? - it tops my favourite chocolates too. Thats what I get on every Eid/special occasions from kids too Smiley

Waslam
tq
UBAB
Bro

Reputation Power: 3
UBAB has no influence :(

2 [agree] or not 2 [disagree]-that is the question

« Reply #15 on: Feb 18, 2010 02:47 PM »

Assalamo elikuim

Can't say for Sr TQ since you never revealed your age
Sr Barr , lets just say that I am so old that when I did high school INtel introduced 486 series of microprocessor- that was the latest thing Smiley Smiley

One question: Where is the Toblerone

486??? Do you guys know what this symbol is?

Your heart will not truly open until you understand Surah 21 : Verse 92  (Al-Anbiya: The Prophets)

Help Build the Community! Visit:
Madinat al-Muslimeen > The City > Naseeha Corner > Community Toolbox
BrKhalid
Bro

« Reply #16 on: Feb 21, 2010 06:27 AM »

Asalaamu Alaikum bro

Ahhh…Toblerone is indeed a worthy addition Sr sofia and Sr tq.

But don’t you find that if you put it in the fridge and then try and break a piece, it’s almost impossible and you end up eating two chunks instead of one?

Do you guys know what this symbol is?

I have no idea.

It looks like one of those optical illusion tests that messes with your eyes!

Fozia
Sis

« Reply #17 on: Feb 22, 2010 09:02 AM »

salam

That logo is really bugging me, it reminds me of the blue ribbon chocolates, they used to come in multi packs and were fun sized, they were wafers put together with some kind of buttercream and covered in chocolate, my mother used to ocassionally give them to us with our school lunch.

Toblerones used to be one of my favourites too, one Eid I bought a foot long toblerone bar, imagine my disappointment then when I opened the pack and instead of one long toblerone the decidedly more practical manufacturer had filled the tube with regular sized bars  Sad

I used to get mad cravings for toblerones everytime I saw that episode of friends with the massive toblerone in it, funnily thats the only thing I remember about that friends episode, to me it's the one with the massive chocolate bar in it!

Wassalaaam

siddiqui
Bro

Reputation Power: 0
siddiqui has no influence :(

« Reply #18 on: Feb 23, 2010 01:09 AM »

We have Valrhona "Abinao" in the fridge a small bite goes a long way (85% Coco)
Looking forward to try Dagoba with some spice.

Guess the Desi masala taste will never fade

salaam
www.valrhona.com
safa
Sis

Reputation Power: 0
safa has no influence :(

« Reply #19 on: Mar 10, 2010 12:19 PM »

i agree with that list, im frm australia by dewai and think fdat list is spot on except for the orange choc thing and da milka choc wats dat???
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #20 on: Sep 26, 2011 06:02 PM »

Ummm do we really need an excuse?  cute

Chocolate may protect the brain and heart
Eating chocolate Is chocolate good for the heart and the taste buds?

Dark chocolate 'can be healthy'
    Easter eggs 'may be healthy'
    Chocolate may cut heart disease

Eating high levels of chocolate could reduce the risk of coronary heart disease and stroke, according to a review of previous research.

Data from 114,009 patients suggested risk was cut by about a third, according to a study published on the BMJ website.

But the researchers warned that excessive consumption would result in other illnesses.

The British Heart Foundation said there were better ways to protect the heart.

The analysis, conducted by scientists at the University of Cambridge, compared the risk to the brain and heart in groups of people who reported eating low levels of chocolate, fewer than two bars per week, with those eating high levels - more than two bars per week.
Chocolate shield

It showed that the "highest levels of chocolate consumption were associated with a 37% reduction in cardiovascular disease and a 29% reduction in stroke compared with the lowest levels".

One of the researchers, Dr Oscar Franco, said chocolate was known to decrease blood pressure.

He told the BBC the findings were "promising", but needed further research to confirm any protective effect.

The study also warns that chocolate can lead to weight gain and Type 2 diabetes. It suggested that chocolate could one day be used to protect from heart problems and stroke - if the sugar and fat content of chocolate bars was reduced.

Dr Franco added: "The advice if you don't eat chocolate is not to start eating chocolate."

For those who did eat chocolate, he recommended that they should "avoid binge-eating" and eat "small amounts [of chocolate] on a regular basis".

Victoria Taylor, senior heart health dietician at the British Heart Foundation, said: "Evidence does suggest chocolate might have some heart health benefits but we need to find out why that might be.

"We can't start advising people to eat lots of chocolate based on this research.

"It didn't explore what it is about chocolate that could help and if one particular type of chocolate is better than another.

"If you want to reduce your heart disease risk, there are much better places to start than at the bottom of a box of chocolates."
austmuslimah
Sis

Reputation Power: 10
austmuslimah has no influence :(

« Reply #21 on: Sep 26, 2011 08:03 PM »

Dont need science to tell me the joys and benefits of chocolate eating!!!  Cheesy
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #22 on: Sep 26, 2011 08:15 PM »

Ok you guys talked me into it Wink Here's my top 5:

1. Cadbury's Fruit and Nut bar (real kind, not American version sadly) and jazaks again to Shahida I believe I ate the last of it Sad

2. Lindt Truffles - mmmmmmmm mmmmmm mmmmmm (no need for words here)

3. Raisinettes - I know weird choice but I LOVE. And now they have a dark version!!???

4. Snickers - Let's just admit there's a whole meal in there!

5. Twix - So light and yummy and what a great feeling after you eat one to realize there's another one there too!

Nafs
« Reply #23 on: Sep 26, 2011 11:38 PM »

The love for chocolate combined with an empty stomach is not good when in this thread!!
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #24 on: Sep 27, 2011 08:20 AM »

Forgot to add everyone's favorite:

Peanut M&Ms!!

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print

Jump to: