// Alcohol free wine
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: Honesty: The Prophet said: 'Honesty leads to righteousness and righteousness leads to Paradise. A man remains honest and concerned about honesty until he is recorded as an honest man with Allah. Lying leads to sinfulness and sinfulness leads to the Fire. A man keeps lying and remains partial to lies until he is recorded as a liar with Allah.' (Sahîh Bukharî, Sahîh Muslim)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Alcohol free wine  (Read 2687 times)
BrKhalid
Bro

Reputation Power: 27
BrKhalid barely matters :(BrKhalid barely matters :(

« on: Feb 23, 2010 09:25 AM »

Asalaamu Alaikum bro

So, does the world really need this product…..Huh?

Muslim Turks wined and dined as business launches halal drinks

A Dutch businessman of Turkish descent says he is preparing to bring a new taste to the Islamic world.

Taner Tabak has produced alcohol-free wine, and is about to bring his product to Turkey. He says he is also eyeing Iran, Saudi Arabia and the Gulf region as potential markets.

“It tastes and feels almost the same,” Mr Tabak, 35, speaking in a telephone interview from his company Delikatwine in the Netherlands this month, said about “Kevserhelalwine”. He wants to bring the alcohol-free wine to supermarkets and hotels in Turkey in the coming months.

Alcohol is legal in Turkey, a secular Muslim country of 70 million people, and wine has become more popular in recent years, even if consumption rates do not compare with those in western Europe.

According to the latest available figures, about 21 million litres of wine were consumed in Turkey in the first half of last year, 1.1 million litres more than in the corresponding period in 2008. All in all, Turks drank about 536 million litres of alcoholic beverages in the first six months of 2009, about 4.5 million litres more than the January-June period of 2008.

While alcohol consumption is climbing, Turkey has also seen the rise of a religiously conservative middle class in recent years, a development that has fanned demand for lifestyle choices in line with a more observant outlook. There have been booms in interest-free banking and in so-called “headscarf hotels” that cater to conservative holidaymakers who prefer facilities such as separate pools for men and women.

That is the market Mr Tabak is pinning his hopes on. He says he plans to sell 200,000 bottles of his alcohol-free wine in Turkey in its first year. During a recent tourism fair in Istanbul, he was inundated by requests for his wine from more than three dozen hotels. “Lots of people tasted it then and said it tasted like real wine,” he said about the fair. “That is nice to hear.”

As Mr Tabak prepares to take the Turkish market by storm, some wine experts in Turkey say the alcohol-free product will not cause much of a splash because wine-lovers prefer the real thing.

“That is just a fashion, just a wave that will go away again,” Esat Ayhan, the owner of La Cave, a leading wine shop in Istanbul, said yesterday. He said Turks were consuming millions of litres of alcohol every year. “Do you think conservative people do not have a share in that?”

While Mr Tabak conceded that Kevserhelalwine does not taste like wine “a hundred per cent”, he said it comes close, “maybe 70 to 80 per cent”. He offers his product in four types that include a Champagne-style bubbly. At the moment, he sells about 40,000 bottles a year to clients in the Netherlands, Belgium, Malaysia and Indonesia.

Mr Tabak, who was born in Turkey but later moved to the Netherlands and is a Dutch national, said potential buyers include not only Muslims but also pregnant women and motor vehicle operators who want to enjoy the taste of wine but still drive their car safely.

In interviews with Turkish media, he said he had the idea to produce an alcohol-free wine when a Muslim businessman complained about the restricted choice of drinks for him at a reception.

Mr Tabak said his company was aiming to produce a million bottles per year.

Kevserhelalwine takes its name from the 108th sura in the Quran, and Mr Tabak says buyers of his product can be sure that they do not violate any religious laws. He had the wine tested by the Control Office of Halal Slaughtering and Halal Quality Control, or HQC, an institution in the Netherlands that hands out certificates for goods it says have been produced according to the rules of Islam, which prohibits the drinking of alcohol.

The HQC gave Kevserhelalwine the green light last April, according to the wine company’s website. “The certificate was very difficult to get,” Mr Tabak said. “It took one year, and they have very strong rules.” He declined to give details about the production method and his production partners, except for saying that the alcohol-free wine is produced in Germany, a country with a strong wine industry.

“It is an alternative,” Mr Tabak said about his wine. He said he is looking at Turkey as a first step and wants to offer Kevserhelalwine in shops, restaurants and hotels in the country. He named Syria, Lebanon and Jordan as well as Iran and Saudi Arabia as potential markets. “There has also been some demand from the Gulf region,” he added without providing details.

But Mr Ayhan of La Cave said there had been other attempts to tailor products to conservative customers, all of which had failed. “Two years ago, somebody introduced a halal toothpaste, but nobody bought it.”

http://www.thenational.ae/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100223/FOREIGN/702229940/1140

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]
Sr.Kathy
Sis

Reputation Power: 18
Sr.Kathy has no influence :(

« Reply #1 on: Feb 23, 2010 03:09 PM »

asak
Just let me know when there is halal beer....

"Allah surely knows the warmth of every teardrop... " Jaihoon
UBAB
Bro

Reputation Power: 3
UBAB has no influence :(

2 [agree] or not 2 [disagree]-that is the question

« Reply #2 on: Feb 23, 2010 03:44 PM »

All jokes aside, we have to be careful about falling into things that are Makruh - such as things that immitate that which is not part of the religion, such as wine drinking.

A alternative though (besides water, milk, fruit drinks,  V8 , tang and pop) ... although with a funny, taste - is Peardrax - a pear soft drink from Trinidad made by Pepsi, which is available in Chinese and West Indian Grocery Stores...it only taste reasonable when chilled

I have enclosed the wiki for it...

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Whiteway's Peardrax is a pear-flavoured fizzy soft drink popular in Trinidad and Tobago. It originated in the United Kingdom, and was first manufactured by Whiteway's, a now-defunct cider company founded in Whimple during the 19th century. As of 2007[update] it is bottled and distributed only by Pepsi-Cola Trinidad Bottling Company, under license since 2004 from Gaymer Cider Company.

It was especially popular among some British children during the 1960s and 1970s, though not by all: Victor Lewis-Smith recalls it as "a foul, resinous, cloying, sweet beverage" without even the "saving grace" of inducing drunkenness. It vanished from UK shelves in 1988, together with the apple based Cydrax, suffering from plummeting sales.

Sales of the beverage continued in Trinidad and Tobago to the point that "Trinidadians and Tobagonians now see the drink as a defining part of the culture of their twin-island republic."

Your heart will not truly open until you understand Surah 21 : Verse 92  (Al-Anbiya: The Prophets)

Help Build the Community! Visit:
Madinat al-Muslimeen > The City > Naseeha Corner > Community Toolbox
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #3 on: Feb 23, 2010 04:50 PM »

salam

Alcohol free wine like products are already widely available have been for years.

We have Shloer, which not only comes in white grape but assorted flavours and even a rose version  what

We also have Ame, which was possibly available before shloer and is available also in a a sparkling white and rose version, for those with more money than sense, you may wish to fork out for the corked version what which really does pop really loudly and smoke when opened!

Britvic does lots of soft drinks packaged similar to alcohol, which is why I always steer clear of britvic, it gives me the creeps.

For those who are completely insane non alcoholic beers are also available I believe cobra does a non alcoholic version of its beer....

But seriously why?

The above drinks taste like, well, crap imvho. I've only ever drunk one out of politeness, and the other because my sister actually likes the taste of the other.

Personally I prefer fruit juice or water, I encourage my girls to drink the same (and milk).

I am not comfortable with pretending to drink a beverage imitating something that is haram..... just as I would rather not eat a fake hog roast made entirely of halal turkey.... why not just let the turkey look like a turkey for goodness sakes???

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
Fozia
Sis

Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #4 on: Feb 23, 2010 04:52 PM »

salam

Disclaimer, the insane comment was made before I read the additional posts, I do profusely apologise..... but I'm leaving my post as is, its not meant to offend anyone.

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
Sr.Kathy
Sis

« Reply #5 on: Feb 23, 2010 08:34 PM »

How do you feel about halal, but not previously halal: pepperoni, hot dogs. marshmallows, Oreos, jello etc...?

Ilyas
Bro

Reputation Power: 2
Ilyas has no influence :(

« Reply #6 on: Feb 24, 2010 02:25 AM »

Salam,

lol, this is almost like the "halal hookah"...

Assalamu Alaikum
saleem
Bro

saleem barely matters :(saleem barely matters :(

« Reply #7 on: Feb 24, 2010 05:23 AM »

/Oreos? not halal?
BrKhalid
Bro

« Reply #8 on: Feb 24, 2010 07:23 AM »

Asalaamu Alaikum bro

Maybe the worrying aspect is that this drink is being targeted at Muslims.

If one starts to enjoy this wine like taste, one could argue it is a slippery slope to enjoying the real thing?

On the other hand, if this drink actually helps stop people from drinking wine and is marketed as a health type drink, is that such a bad thing?

I’ve never been to Turkey, maybe someone who has, can fill us in as to whether this drink is going to have a positive impact or not?

I think I’ll be sticking to the  bebzi for the moment though. bro

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]
Fozia
Sis

« Reply #9 on: Feb 24, 2010 09:36 AM »

salam

Seriously, I've been thinking about why this whole halal wine thing makes me so uncomfortable. I've come up with the following;

Halal meat products do not bother me, because mainly its a case of following zabiha guidelines et voila, you get a halal steak dinner, same as hot dogs, the dogs (?) do not need to be pork, it is very clear that the meat is not imitating a meat that is never going to be halal ever.  Turkey bacon is non threatening because, well, it's turkey it says so very clearly, it is not dressed up as a pig at all it is clearly fowl (and also tastes foul imho).

In england we have this big drinking culture, everyone is always going down to the pub after work or meeting friends, its always going to the pub. On a friday afternoon after a particularly strenuous week sometimes my manager orders a couple of bottles of wine and shuts the office early.....

The whole halal wine, to me would then be me expected to join in because hey its halal, and because of this product I'll be expected to sit around with them drinking this stuff. I personally feel my presence in the company of such a situation is my accepting the whole drinking culture as halal, but its not is it?

Alcohol is forbidden us, sitting at a table where alcohol is served is forbidden, or at the very least feels very wrong to me.

Why don't they call this soft drink a soft drink because that is what it is. It's not alcoholic therefore its not wine or beer or whatever, its a soft drink, by calling it a halal wine, it's insinuating this whole drinking culture can somehow be considered halal, its a fine line, and I refuse to participate in it.

At work, they know I won't participate in or turn up to work piss ups, and they respect that, at my work they actually modify their behaviour, because frankly in some cases there is no room for modification in mine!

I am not rude, I am not demanding, I do not ask or expect people to waltz around my religious beliefs, but I refuse to pander to anyone if it's a choice between Islam or blending in, and I've always found when one behaves with good grace, Allah's help is always one step ahead alhumdulillah.....

Oreos are haram Huh?<faints>

Wassalaam

Sr.Kathy
Sis

« Reply #10 on: Feb 24, 2010 05:30 PM »

asak
Oreos used to be haram... ok now, Allah who Allum.

jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #11 on: Feb 25, 2010 05:03 AM »

Oreos NOT haram and quite YUM axually  - shaykh cookie cookiemonster

The rich chocolate flavor of Oreos is so popular that it is found in recipes for milkshakes, cheesecakes, ice cream sundaes, pie crusts, pudding, breakfast bars, cakes and all types of chocolaty sweets.

HOW IS IT MADE?
For the first 85 years of its manufacture, Oreos were made with animal fat. That started changing in the late 1980's and early 1990's when Nabisco began reformulating its recipe to use vegetable shortening.

In the year 1998, Oreo cookies in the U.S. became certified as not containing fat from pigs or other animals. Oreos are made with the artificial flavoring 'vanillin' and not with 'vanilla extract.' Vanilla extract contains alcohol (ethanol) which counters Islamic dietary requirements. Vegetable shortening and vanillin are used in all varieties of Oreo cookies.

Oreos contain: Sugar, Flour, Vegetable Oil, Cocoa Powder, Corn Syrup, Baking Soda, Cornstarch, Salt, Soy Lecithin, Vanillin and Chocolate.
WARNING LEVEL: NONE

We saw that someone had posted a comment on your blog, in response to your reposting of a portion of SPOTLIGHT HALAL: OREO COOKIES. "Anonymous" said that Lowfat Oreos were 'haram'. We believe that his comment is because low-fat Oreos in the U.S. contain glycerin. Glycerin allows Oreos to reduce the fat content of the cookie, while maintaining the 'fat feel' on the eater's tongue.

We looked into it further, and found that the Reduced Fat version of Oreos are certified kosher by the Orthodox Union, which means that the glycerin is not pork-derived. In addition, currently, glycerin is allowed in food imported into Saudi Arabia.

Hope this helps.

BrKhalid
Bro

« Reply #12 on: Feb 25, 2010 07:48 AM »

Asalaamu Alaikum bro

Well I’m glad that finally got sorted out!!

Maybe we should start a Top 10 cookie list to celebrate Wink

In England we have this big drinking culture

Very true, parents (or other suitable role models) should really warn our youngsters of working culture and how they should address it from a Muslim perspective

Fozia
Sis

« Reply #13 on: Feb 25, 2010 08:51 AM »

salam

Well that's a relief, and I make a point of never buying low fat anything, low fat = low in taste ime!

I may well turn into a blimp at some point!

Wassalaam

lucid
Bro

Reputation Power: 15
lucid has no influence :(

« Reply #14 on: Feb 25, 2010 02:19 PM »

why?

why?

whY?

wHY?

WHY?

i thought wine, beer, etc, tastes like...well....urine?

nobody drinks the stuff because they like the taste.  they drink it because then wanna get hammered, have fun, or want something to relax their mind.

this stuff is just an appetizer to get people to go for the alcoholic stuff.

and its for wannabes in the muslim world who will copy all the trashiest habits of the west to be cool, modern and sophisticated.

i mean...here...pizza hut and KFC are delicacies...rich people food.  whereas in the States, its homeless people food!
(and student and lazy people food)
Fozia
Sis

« Reply #15 on: Feb 25, 2010 09:09 PM »

salam

Br Lucid, that's it, that is exactly what I feel but couldn't articulate!

Wassalaam

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: