// Brand new women's debate: Tabasum Hussain vs. Mary Jo Sharp
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: Justice: The Prophet said: 'The most virtuous jihâd is when one speaks a word of truth before an unjust ruler.'(Sunan Abî Dawûd, Sunan At-Tirmidhî, Sunan Ibn Mâjah)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Brand new women's debate: Tabasum Hussain vs. Mary Jo Sharp  (Read 2013 times)
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« on: Feb 24, 2010 08:04 AM »

The historic Toronto debate on the topic of "WOMEN IN THE QUR'AN & BIBLE" that took place at the North American Muslim Foundation in Canada on February 20, 2010. Dr. Tabasum Hussain took on one of the leading female evangelical Christian apologists, Mary Jo Sharp. This full and complete footage features a special introduction promo that shows what led up to this engaging debate. May Allah (God) bless all those who helped to make this event a success. PLEASE LINK TO THIS VIDEO and help spread the word!

sofia
Sis

Reputation Power: 8
sofia has no influence :(

Ya Muqallib Al-Quloob thabbit quloobana ala deenik

« Reply #1 on: Feb 24, 2010 06:55 PM »

As-salaamu alaykum,
May Allah reward Dr. Tabasum Hussain and the organizers for their efforts.

I had a hard time understanding why basic rights and beliefs were not first explained before controversial issues were jumped on (the actual rights of women in Islam are far above those given in other religions, at least in terms of explicitness). Too much emphasis on rebuking Mary Jo's comments, which centered around poorly translated and weak texts on issues like wife beating, polygamy, etc. It was a bit distracting.
But overall, Dr. H's arguments were well articulated and sincere (at least, much more sincere than her opponents).

pinkhijabisis

"My Lord! Increase me in knowledge." (Qur'aan 20.114)
"Our Lord! We believe, so forgive us, and have mercy on us, for You are the Best of all who show mercy!" (23:109)
"And hold fast, all together, by the rope which Allah (stretches out for you), and be not divided among yourselves..."(3:10)
UBAB
Bro

Reputation Power: 3
UBAB has no influence :(

2 [agree] or not 2 [disagree]-that is the question

« Reply #2 on: Feb 24, 2010 09:39 PM »

Holy Smokes!

I didn't even know NAMF was holding this event - there is so many events in T.O., that the right hand does even know what the left hand is doing... NAMF is an organization with events in East Toronto - so I'm not sure what their advertising coverage was in West Toronto! Its actual a pretty good org since they focus on Education ...

Your heart will not truly open until you understand Surah 21 : Verse 92  (Al-Anbiya: The Prophets)

Help Build the Community! Visit:
Madinat al-Muslimeen > The City > Naseeha Corner > Community Toolbox
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #3 on: Feb 25, 2010 04:21 AM »

ws,

I was actually surprised to understand this debate was held at a mosque (i assume?) as well. Looks like really great turnout. Agree with Sofia but I think this was designed as a whole "debate" type of event.

Jaihoon
Jaihoon
Bro

Reputation Power: 21
Jaihoon barely matters :(Jaihoon barely matters :(

« Reply #4 on: Feb 25, 2010 04:50 AM »

That's my first and only doubt!

If one has enough time and the dedication, it would be an interesting attempt to survey Muslim history,past and recent, to find out the total convert numbers who accepted islam by attending 'debates'!

Is Quran pointing to this truth when Allah says:

وكان الإنسان أكثر شيء جدلا

I can at least comment on Indian conversions. It North part, sages like Moinuddin Chishti (May Allah bless him)'s way of life and humility attracted hundres of thousands into this deen. His predessor was Muhammad bin Qassim (ra). In south, Islam arrived at the hands of Malik bin Dinar, in the early stages of Islam itself. But both these figures attracted the infidels by way of life and not holding debates.

Personally, I feel debates are areas where the Ego comes to play, more than principles. It is often eloquence, more than intelligence which survives.

Allah knows best

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: