// Friend Other Facebook Users On The Spot By Bumping Phones
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: Knowing others is intelligence; knowing yourself is true wisdom. Mastering others is strength; mastering yourself is true power. - Lao Tzu
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Friend Other Facebook Users On The Spot By Bumping Phones  (Read 1149 times)
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« on: Feb 26, 2010 07:53 PM »

I find this pretty crazy...J.
=====================

Bump technologies created quite a stir after launch a phone application which enabled you to exchange contact information with others by bumping your phones together. Today the company is announcing that they’ve upgraded their product to let you bump to become Facebook friends instantaneously. No more saying “I’ll friend you on Facebook” when you meet someone. No you can just do it on the spot!

While Facebook’s native iPhone application enables you to friend others, being able to “bump-to-friend” is extremely useful. The company has also told us that in the near future you will be able to connect on LinkedIn, follow someone on Twitter, and friend on them on Facebook all in a single bump. While there are numerous other contact exchange solutions, bump provides the easiest solution for instantly connecting on the spot.

Rather than having to go through the process of exchanging information, friending on Facebook, following on Twitter, and more, you can do it all right on the spot in seconds. The only awkward situation I could see arising from this is when you feel guilty for not approving a friend request from someone you are talking to there.

Also, for power users who take advantage of friend lists, you’ll have to assign the user to a friend list once you get home. Ultimately that’s not too complicated as you can view your recently added friends once you get home and assign them to friend lists. Best of all, bump is not just limited to the iPhone. You can exchange contact information across platforms, however the Facebook Connect functionality is currently limited to the iPhone.
WCoastbaba
Bro

Reputation Power: 51
WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)

« Reply #1 on: Feb 26, 2010 09:56 PM »

Is it just me or are all these technological advances seem to be heading towards some finality or collapse of human society/civilisation as we've come to know it in our history books? NBot to sound too dramatic, but it just feels as if these things are gong too far - just as you say Sis J - its just too crazy. There should be some limit even to such things. I mean I love writing e-mails as much as th next guy (essay length ones too!) but I also still like to write letters (yup on paper using a pen and posting it through the mail - yes "snail/mail as we call it) to certain special, deserving people.

Something I've wanted to say for sometime, so thought this was a good place to "vent."

desibro
BABA
PS It's great to be able to connect with people from all over the world on sites such as this, or to have conference calls, but I hope that I don't get caught up in the indirect manners of connection (big Skype user given I'm away from family for most of the year) and get back to actual reality sooner rather than later.

The Believers, men and women, are protectors one of another:  [9:71]
BrKhalid
Bro

Reputation Power: 27
BrKhalid barely matters :(BrKhalid barely matters :(

« Reply #2 on: Mar 01, 2010 06:11 AM »

Asalaamu Alaikum bro

This is taken from the ‘Bump’ website:

When you bump, if we find a match with a phone that felt the same bump, our servers ask each phone to send up the contact information each user chose to share, but nothing more. If and only if both users then confirm that the match is indeed correct will the contact information be sent down to the other person

I wonder if ‘poking’ is going to be passé and we’ll all be ‘bumping’ soon?

From a corporate perspective, it could be the end of business cards as we know it.

From an Islamic perspective, beware who you allow your phone to bump into!!

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]
rahma
Sis

Reputation Power: 73
rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)

« Reply #3 on: Mar 01, 2010 02:24 PM »

I'm with you, Brother Wcoastbaba.  I'm on overload with all these new technologies...  Twittering, and Facebook on your cell and all that.  Now, I enjoy the internet, and e-mail and iming and texting on my cell is very convenient, but enough  is enough.  I really believe we are loosing something with all this technology in our faces...

Or maybe I'm just an old fuddy duddy.   oldshaykh (jannah, you've got to get a female version of this!)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: