Madinat al-Muslimeen Community
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Apr 24, 2014 03:54 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: All the world's a kabob truck.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Embroidery  (Read 3639 times)
a_desert_rose
Sis

Reputation Power: 0
a_desert_rose has no influence :(

« on: Feb 09, 2008 07:17 PM »

Assalamualaikum

Any embroidery enthusiasts in the Madina? (including brothers  Smiley )

I'm the type of person who gets addicted to one thing, exhausts all my enthusiasm, gets bored and looks for something else. Last year it was knitting, this year seems like embroidery. Seriously, it's so simple and the results are exquisite.

For beginners, this is a really useful site: http://www.needlenthread.com/
It has video turtorials and clear instructions on the different types of stitches (there are only a couple that you really need to know for basic embroidery). If anyone is interested, I can post some simple designs to try out.

I've just ordered a couple of books from Amazon which should get here in a couple of days inshallah, so I'll post some designs from them if there's no copyright issue.  oldshaykh

Wassalam
a_desert_rose
Faizah
Sis

Reputation Power: 3
Faizah has no influence :(

« Reply #1 on: Feb 10, 2008 01:45 AM »

Wa alaikum as salaam.

I've always been impressed by anyone that does embroidery - my mother and my maternal grandmother used to.  I'm also fascinated by tatting (the fancy lace edging on handkerchieves and tablecloths) - my paternal grandmother did that.  It would be interesting to learn so I'd be interested if you post some tips and simple (okay very simple) patterns.  I crochet and I find it so relaxing and with all the stressors out there any bit of relaxation is a good thing.

Fa'izah
a_desert_rose
Sis

Reputation Power: 0
a_desert_rose has no influence :(

« Reply #2 on: Feb 10, 2008 02:45 PM »

Bingo! A reply! Alhamdulillah...

I don't know how much you know of embroidery stitches, but I use two basic ones for outlining designs:

The chain stitch: put your needle through the fabric and bring it up a stitch length (about this much _ ), loop the thread around the needle (you can do this from the right to left, or left to right, but once you choose one stick to it), pull the needle up and tighten in the direction of your stitching. For the next stitch put your needle through the first one, bring it up a stitch length and do the same.

I'm not very good at explaining on paper so I've added the link where you can find a video tutorial:
http://www.needlenthread.com/2006/10/embroidery-stitch-video-tutorial-chain.html

I haven't really needed to use the stem stitch, but my mum uses it for really intricate designs, there is an explanation here: http://www.needlenthread.com/2006/06/basic-embroidery-stitches-line.html

It really depends on how experienced you are with a needle and thread, try out the chain stitch if you haven't done so before and I can help you out if you have any problems. It's really easy once you get the hang of it.

Sorry my explanations aren't very clear and if I come across patronising  oldshaykh, I'm better at demonstrations!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: