// Starting a Halaqah...
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: Boy, those French: They have a different word for everything! - Steve Martin
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Starting a Halaqah...  (Read 1990 times)
JustOne
Sis

Reputation Power: 17
JustOne has no influence :(

« on: Feb 28, 2010 08:02 AM »

Assalaamu Alaikum...

I want to join a halaqah, but most of the ones I know of are in Urdu - not the language I'm most proficient in .... and are very far away from where I live.  So my conclusion is that I'll have to start one myself (like a study circle rather than something lecture-based).  But I really have no knowledge, and would have to use extreme motivational skills to convince the housewives around me.

So anyway... any pointers... any texts (like comprehensive books) we could follow? Anything would be helpful.

Wasalaam.
um aboodi
Sis

Reputation Power: 26
um aboodi barely matters :(um aboodi barely matters :(

« Reply #1 on: Feb 28, 2010 07:31 PM »

salam

Great project sr. JO!  I suggest starting with Ibn Kathir tafsir.  There is a mother's halaqa that I am a part of and we do tajweed mainly and if there is time we go over the tafsir of the surahs we practise.  If there is a certified tajweed teacher near you, it would be great to invite her to your halaqa to teach the rules of tajweed

We also include a segment for kids where we either read a story or do circle time and sing so that the kids get some benefit as well.

To keep us motivated we have snack time!  Each week one of us prepares a light lunch for the group and we socialize as we munch on the goodies. 

I hope this helps  flowersis 
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #2 on: Feb 28, 2010 08:31 PM »

ws,

there's soooooooo much stuff online these days. i'd check out all those online places offering classes. all these orgs and mosques on youtube and ustream and justin.tv and paltalk and whatever else are all broadcasting various classes including ours. so let me know if ur interested iA!

JustOne
Sis

Reputation Power: 17
JustOne has no influence :(

« Reply #3 on: Mar 01, 2010 08:50 AM »

Salaam...

That's a good idea um aboodi - I'm actually going through the abridged (10 volume) Ibn Kathir tafseer with my husband at this point.  We try to go through it regularly, but he has a very hectic schedule nowadays.

Jannah - please let me know about online options ... that would be great actually.

Thanks.
Wasalaam.
se7en
Sis

Reputation Power: 11
se7en has no influence :(

« Reply #4 on: Mar 01, 2010 11:24 AM »

as salaamu alaykum,

true there are a lot of online classes available - I've heard good things about the courses offered on SunniPath and took one myself on SeekersGuidance... Imam Suhaib Webb has a lot of audio from his classes available on SuhaibWebb.Com and I know there are many others...  but I have to say, in my opinion a weekly halaqa with a small group is also nice and gives kind of a different flavor, because of the social interaction it involves and since usually everyone has to give some sort of presentation, it makes you take the time to read and do research on your own, on whatever topic you've been assigned, so it helps a person learn things a bit more in depth.

what you may want to do sis JO, if you decide to go ahead with a halaqa, is have each person in the group volunteer to cover a certain topic or even a specific book or tape set, and to prepare a short presentation each week to share with everyone else.  For example, one person can be in charge of Tafseer, and each week present something on it (maybe start with suratul fatiha and then juz' amma), someone else can do hadith (maybe Imam an-Nawawi's book of 40 Hadith), someone else do Seerah (Martin Ling's book 'Muhammad' or Raheeq al-Makhtum the Sealed Nectar are nice ones), Tazkiya (Purification of the soul is a nice book or Imam Hamza's tape set Purification of the Heart), and maybe even topics like parenting or marriage depending on who is in the group and if people are interested.  

hope it goes well Smiley

salaam
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: