Madinat al-Muslimeen Community
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Apr 20, 2014 07:39 PM

News:

O rishta, rishta, wherefore art thou my rishta.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Summer casual reading books ie 'beach books'  (Read 2568 times)
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« on: Mar 03, 2010 05:47 AM »

Someone asked me for a list of some casual books to bring overseas so she'd have some 'light reading'. I think these are called 'summer beach books' as people take these to the beach to read and relax and what not. Nothing too horrifying or too complex, but definitely enjoyable... so here's my list. Please add your suggestions!!

Summer books to read for Fun

The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith - great series to read

The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde -it's literary sci-fi'an dys/utopia!

The Case of the Missing Servant by Tarquin Hall - mystery set in india

Twilight by Stephanie Meyer - why not figure out why millions of screaming girls like them

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen - how can anyone not read this

The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho - sweet fable makes for nice reading

Persuasion by Jane Austen - u can never have too much jane austen

Road to Makkah by Muhammad Asad - u haven't read it?? and why not

Harry Potter books - must be a reason there are 8 movies??

The Namesake by Jhumpa Lari - bengali immigrants coming of age in the US

The Twentieth Wife by Indu Sundaresan - interesting 'harem' story

-------------------
I will add these but have not read them:

Three cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson
The Lost symbol by Dan Brown
The Curious Incident of the Dog In the Night-time by Mark Haddon
----
also:

Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen - has some bad language and scenes
Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown - suspenseful -has some language and anti-Arab stuff
The Time Traveller's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger -but has a lot of vulgar language
Bridget Jones’s Diary by Helen Fielding - same language/some scenes

Sr.Kathy
Sis

Reputation Power: 18
Sr.Kathy has no influence :(

« Reply #1 on: Mar 03, 2010 01:28 PM »

asak
Three Cups of Tea and the sequil are absolute must reads! I have even purchased them for our masjid library.
They will motivate and inspire you.

"Allah surely knows the warmth of every teardrop... " Jaihoon
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #2 on: Mar 03, 2010 07:48 PM »

salam

The curious incident of the dog in the night time, is pretty decent, it's written from the perspective of a boy with autism, surprisingly it manages to be easy to read tho.

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
Shahida
Sis

Reputation Power: 47
Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)

Hasbi Allah wa ni3mal wakeel!

« Reply #3 on: Mar 04, 2010 08:33 AM »

Salam alaikum

I was looking for some suggestions, so thanks...

About the Twilight books, I held off reading them cuz I really didnt wanna read all about vampires and stuff that go bump in the night...but a girl at work was soo sooo impressed with them, that I gave it a wizzzz...and i loved the first book!!  Embarrassed Read the second, am busy with the 3rd... so yeah, I got addicted quite quickly as well.  All the teenage angst I never really experienced in my own youth, suddenly is all there...I enjoyed Stephenie Meyer's writing, not complicated and flows well.

Some stuff is not 100% islamic, but so far I dont find them too bad?

Keep the list growing, I am off on vacation in exactly 16 days, so I need to get the books before then!  Wink

Salam
S
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: