// keepsakes
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: Now is the time to know that all that you do is sacred….Now is the time for you to deeply compute the impossibility that there is anything but grace. -Hafiz
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: keepsakes  (Read 2148 times)
blackrose
Sis

Reputation Power: 3
blackrose has no influence :(

« on: Jan 24, 2008 12:31 AM »

salaam

so what do you keep and what do you throw away and why? for example do you keep greetingcards, wdding invitations ect? what about old letters/notes?

so does neone know where you can give away clothes in tx?
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #1 on: Jan 24, 2008 04:55 AM »

wsalaam,

I used to keep a lot of that stuff, but now I throw em out after a bit cuz really what are they there for? Memories but I have pictures for that? I do keep wedding invitations cuz it's been very useful when planning our own weddings to take them out and look at them, and even other girls ask to borrow the wedding invitation box to look at them.

mail

umm ibraheem
Sis

Reputation Power: 5
umm ibraheem has no influence :(

« Reply #2 on: Jan 24, 2008 03:12 PM »

The only thing i keep now are pictures.  I've tossed all old cards and things like that.  Kinda feels like a waste of space now.
Faizah
Sis

Reputation Power: 3
Faizah has no influence :(

« Reply #3 on: Jan 25, 2008 12:41 AM »

As salaamu alaikum

Okay, I'm still the "pack rat" but I'm trying.  I used to keep little things in photo albums since at least they stay neat and out of sight.  Sometimes old letters have merit if they contain vital information.  Of course what is hard is when it is written in the handwriting of a loved one since passed.  I broke down in tears the other day because while organizing books I came across an envelope and note from my Mom who died about 6 years ago and I realized how much I still miss her.  I find it difficult to look at photos of her without crying but I'd never give those photos up.

What I do keep are graduation programs or event programs where either I or one of my children were mentioned.

Where my problem comes in is keeping articles of interest, magazines that had interesting articles instead of taking out the articles (like who has time?) and books - I'm running out of space but for me to get rid of a book is too difficult but I do try to donate books to book drives even if only to make more space to buy more books.

As salaamu alaikum

Fa'izah
cat
Sis

Reputation Power: 0
cat has no influence :(

« Reply #4 on: Jan 31, 2008 02:43 PM »

I don't keep photos at all but i use to keep just about EVERYTHING else until it became just too much to cart around (i've moved about 20-odd times!).  The rule i follow now is that if i have not done anything with it for a year i never will.  So i throw it all out now. Shew...that feels so much lighter!!

sofa

a_desert_rose
Sis

Reputation Power: 0
a_desert_rose has no influence :(

« Reply #5 on: Feb 09, 2008 06:52 PM »

I keep EVERYTHING. Seriously. I still have the little tags put on my brother and two little sisters...the security tags that hospital staff put on the hands and feet of new born babies. I also keep boarding passes of the flights I've been on, also broken stuff that I haven't the heart to throw away, all my excercise books from school...you get the idea. And I'm only nineteen! I think I need to see a psychiatrist else I'll end up ninety with a house chock full of broken useless junk  Roll Eyes

oldshaykh  I have to include this little guy, he cracks me up. Every time.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: