// Quran have to be on top? and dua books mixed with books?
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: That some achieve great success, is proof to all that others can achieve it as well.” Abraham Lincoln quote
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Quran have to be on top? and dua books mixed with books?  (Read 3625 times)
blackrose
Sis

Reputation Power: 3
blackrose has no influence :(

« on: Feb 09, 2008 09:54 PM »

Asalamualaikum
Does the Qur'an have to be on the utmost top shelf...? or is this just cultural?... I just think that I would read it more if I didnt have to get a stool to reach it each time.
If yes , then can the Qur'an be mixed with other books?
can you put dua books mixed with other books in the book shelf?
Abdurahman
Bro

Reputation Power: 4
Abdurahman has no influence :(

Oh Allah, Guide us to the Straight Path.

« Reply #1 on: Feb 12, 2008 11:44 PM »

Asalamualaikum wrt,

All praise to Allah.

Honorable sister,

The pages of the Quran should be treated with respect, and thus many of the scholars indicate that one should not hold a Musshaf in a state of impurity, bring it in a bathroom, or travel with it to a place where it might be subjected to abuse or disrespect.  If its pages are damaged, they should be burned and buried in clean earth.

I do not know of any texts that indicate that the Quran must be in the highest place in the house.

And Allah knows best.

Shaykh Abdurahman

Be merciful to those on earth, and the One in the Heavens will be merciful to you.
a_desert_rose
Sis

Reputation Power: 0
a_desert_rose has no influence :(

« Reply #2 on: Feb 13, 2008 12:48 PM »

Assalamualaikum warahmatullah,

The text of the Quran is after all just a medium through which we can access it. As such there aren't obligations for it regarding its positioning in the house, whatever is done by an individual is his/her own mark of respect for it. If you think about it, the text of the Quran can exist in different forms in this day and age...for instance Quranic CDs.

In a lot of cultures, people also kiss the Quran, which is also a mark of respect but not obligatory.

Wassalam,
a_desert_rose
timbuktu
« Reply #3 on: Feb 15, 2008 05:02 AM »

peace be upon you

The Quran is the word of Allah, and has His names in it. We should indeed show respect to His word and His names. The Quran need not be in the top shelf if you have difficulty accessing it, but it should be the topmost in a pile of books. It should be covered so that impure hands do not touch it.

As for dua books, yes,there is no reason why other books cannot be mised with these. But again, it is preferable that they be either separate or on top, for they contain Allah's names.

and Allah knows best.
peaceman
Bro

peaceman has no influence :(

« Reply #4 on: Apr 16, 2008 06:38 AM »

salaam

Some scholars are of the view that the Quran should be elevated, based on the ayat is Surah Abasa,
"Elevated Purified". Here is a copy of a legal ruling from one of our noble scholars. 

And Allah knows.

salaam

May Allah increase you in knowledge.
Take a look at my site:  http://www.tajwid.info

Also a good site with several mp3 durus of beneficial knowledge from our ulema, fiqh explaining the book "bulgh Maram" , Q&A, http://www.imamfaisal.com
Abdurahman
Bro

« Reply #5 on: Apr 17, 2008 11:16 PM »

Asalamualaikum wrt,

Thank you Shaikh for the nice Fatwa.  But you forgot to translate it Smiley

"The Ruling of Placing the Mushaf (Quran) on the Ground"

It is best to place it in a raised place, so as to fulfill the letter and spirit of the verse in Surah 'Abasa (referring to the Quran) "Elevated, Purified"

So when you need to put it down, put it somewhere raised, if even slightly.  If that is not easy, then it is permissible to place it on the ground on clean bedding and the like, but one must avoid placing it in a low place, or on impurities, or on bare earth, because that is belittling it.

And if you must put it down on some bedding, that is ok as long as one is careful to keep the Quran raised in both letter and spirit.

-Shaykh Ibn Jibreen

Be merciful to those on earth, and the One in the Heavens will be merciful to you.
blackrose
Sis

Reputation Power: 3
blackrose has no influence :(

« Reply #6 on: Apr 18, 2008 04:34 PM »

Aslamualaikum

JazakAllahu Kairon

Yes I was always told if the Quran falls or somhow lands in the carpet or most lowest place you HAVE to kiss it. So then this is just cultural?
Abdurahman
Bro

« Reply #7 on: Apr 19, 2008 11:37 PM »

Asalamualaikum wrt,

It has been reported that some of the pious predecessors used to kiss the Quran and show a great deal of respect for it.

From this Imam as-Suyuti said it is permissible to kiss the Holy Qur'an, also drawing an analogy with the black stone in the Ka'bah.

With regard to those who say that you have to offer expiation for dropping the Quran by kissing it, he has to produce evidence for that, because it is not permissible to impose something upon the people without sound evidence. Whoever imposes something on people that was not enjoined by Allah has ordained something in the religion for which Allah has not given leave. It is not permissible to invent expiations for sins and to specify their type and number without evidence from sharee’ah.

And Allah knows best.

Ackhii
Bro

Ackhii has no influence :(

« Reply #8 on: Jul 06, 2008 08:32 AM »

Asalamualaikum
Does the Qur'an have to be on the utmost top shelf...? or is this just cultural?...
Its respect to Quran Al Kareem. I dont know, could we say its cultural?

I saw at some homewalls, There is very nice handmadecover for Quran(specialy girls do it before they get married, so nice Sajjadahs and Covers for Quran, but realy use them in right way???) and hang on the wall but if u want read, you need something under your feeds to take from there. Because it hangs on highest place.
Quran isnt no send for accessories for home and also not only read time to time for deathmuslims... The best respect is when we live Quran in our live.
If am writing wrong its my fault..Am sory...Salam Alaikum
a_desert_rose
Sis

a_desert_rose has no influence :(

« Reply #9 on: Aug 30, 2008 03:17 PM »

But is there any hadith indicating that the Prophet (peace be upon him) kissed the Quran? If there isn't, I'm not sure we should be doing it. Remember the incident when Umar (RA) kissed the Black Stone and said to "No doubt, I know that you are a stone and can neither benefit nor harm anyone. Had I not seen Allah's Apostle kissing you I would not have kissed you." 

So if there is no account in which the Prophet or one of the four Righteous Caliphs, or even one of the pther companions of the Prophet kissed the Quran, are we right in doing so? Obviously there is no harm is kissing it out of respect but innovations build out of the smallest things.

And Allah Ta'ala knows best.

Wassalam
Abdurahman
Bro

« Reply #10 on: Aug 30, 2008 09:04 PM »

Asalamualaikum wrt wb,

All praise be to Allah.

The great Hanbali Faqih (jurist) and Mujtahid (high scholar) Sheikh Abdul-`Azeez Ibn Baaz (may Allah bless his soul), stated:

“I do not know of any evidence to indicate that kissing the Qur'an is prescribed in Shari`ah, but if a person does it, there is nothing wrong with that. It is narrated that the great companion `Ikrimah Ibn Abi Jahl (may Allah be pleased with him) used to kiss the Qur'an, and he used to say, “This is the speech of my Lord.”

Anyway, there is nothing wrong with kissing the Qur'an, but it is not prescribed to do so and there is nothing to indicate that it is prescribed in Shari`ah. Therefore, if a person kisses it as an act of veneration and respect if it falls from his/her hand or from a high place, there is nothing wrong with that, insha'Allah.”

(Source: Sheikh Ibn Baz’s Fatawa wa Maqaalaat Mutanawwi`ah, vol. 9, p. 289)

And Allah knows best.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: