// Pa. woman accused of plotting terrorism attack in Sweden
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: No,please don't eat me. I have a wife and kids,eat them. - Homer
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pa. woman accused of plotting terrorism attack in Sweden  (Read 897 times)
Christine_1208
Sis

Reputation Power: 1
Christine_1208 has no influence :(

« on: Mar 10, 2010 05:11 PM »

Wednesday, March 10, 2010
By Nathan Gorenstein and John Shiffman, Philadelphia Inquirer
Agence France Presse/Getty ImagesColleen R. LaRose, also known as "Jihad Jane."PHILADELPHIA --She has an American passport, so Colleen R. LaRose of Montgomery County, who called herself "JihadJane" online, decided that she was an ideal candidate to carry out a terrorist attack in Sweden, federal prosecutors alleged Tuesday.

The target was artist Lars Vilks, who in 2007 drew a portrait of Muhammad to test "the limits" of artistic expression. The result was a series of death threats, culminating Tuesday in the indictment of Ms. LaRose, 46, for conspiring to provide support to Islamic terrorists with whom she allegedly plotted to kill the Swedish artist.

Only a few American women have been indicted on terrorism charges. National security officials have feared for some time that Islamic terrorists could recruit Western women to carry out attacks.

Ms. LaRose was arrested last October, but her incarceration was kept secret until her indictment was unsealed Tuesday afternoon. U.S. and foreign governments used the time to sweep up a terrorist network in Ireland, according to news media there. The Irish Times said seven men, most of them from various Islamic nations, were arrested as part of a plot to murder Mr. Vilks.

Two U.S. officials told the Inquirer that the charges against Ms. LaRose were connected to that investigation. According to prosecutors, Ms. LaRose flew to Europe last Aug. 23 "with the intent to live and train with jihadists, and to find and kill" the Swedish artist.

Her European travels have not been disclosed. She was arrested Oct. 16 at Philadelphia International Airport when she stepped off a plane from Europe. Her Internet postings sympathetic to radical jihad [violent holy war] had attracted FBI attention.

U.S. officials described Ms. LaRose as Caucasian and slightly built. Divorced and with no known occupation, she had lived in Texas before moving to the Philadelphia area in 2004. Ms. LaRose's public defender, Mark T. Wilson, declined to comment.

When FBI agents started their investigation, Ms. LaRose lived in a Pennsburg apartment building, attached to a post office.

The indictment says that in June 2008, she posted a YouTube video identifying herself as "JihadJane" and saying she was "desperate to do something somehow to help" the Muslim people. She also used the screen name "Fatima LaRose."

By January 2009, she was in contact with South Asian and European jihadist sympathizers, and in February, she said in an e-mail that her physical appearance would let her "blend in with many people."

Another South Asian man asked Ms. LaRose to "marry me to get me inside Europe." She allegedly agreed, and on March 10, 2009, asked the Swedish Embassy how she could acquire residence.

Twelve days later, her South Asian suitor told her via e-mail to "go to Sweden, ... find location of [Vilks] .... and kill him. ... [T]hat is what I say to u."

According to the indictment, Ms. LaRose replied, "i will make this my goal till i achieve it or die trying."

In September, apparently while in Europe, Ms. LaRose e-mailed the South Asian man that it was "an honor & great pleasure to die or kill" for him. "Only death will stop me here that i am so close to the target."

The indictment does not name Mr. Vilks, but refers to an artist who is a "resident of Sweden."

In an interview Tuesday with the Inquirer, Mr. Vilks, 63, said he learned of the Irish and U.S. investigations from the news media -- reporters had tied up his phone line -- forcing police to contact him by sending a patrol car to his rural home in Sweden.

His 2007 drawing provoked an initial controversy, which later diminished. "It was rather calm last year," he said, "but in the beginning of this year, there was a Somalian calling me on a Somali mobile phone. He spoke Swedish. I thought that was a serious threat."

That led him to increase security at his home. "I have installed a defense system in my home, and the police [are] patrolling here from time to time. And I am always trying to identify strange sounds," he said in interview with the Swedish newspaper Aftonbladet.

But he told the Inquirer that his rural isolation offered a good defense. "It's not so easy to find me. You have to make a special trip, and you need your own car. I'm not so easily available."

Mr. Vilks did not draw a cartoon. Instead, he produced a drawing for a Swedish exhibit that asked artists to explore the limits of artistic expression. "People said there were no limits, and I was doubting that," the artist said, "and that was correct."

The drawing, depicting Muhammad as a dog, played off a 2007 Swedish fad of installing canine sculptures as public art in the center of traffic circles. "It's not a nasty attack on the prophet; it's more of a satire. But people have no sense of humor," Mr. Vilks said.

In Pennsburg, Ms. LaRose lived on Main Street, a mix of single-family and duplex homes.. Hers was on the second floor of a two-story duplex, with a white balcony that has wind chimes and a star hanging from the ceiling. Each unit has entrances in the front and back. A neighbor, Wesley Ziegler, 74, said most residents use their back entrances. "We have no idea who's coming and going," he said.

Ms. LaRose is among the few women in the United States who have been charged with terror-related offenses, Justice Department spokesman Dean Boyd said.

In 2005, New York attorney Lynne Stewart, also a U.S. citizen, was convicted of terrorism violations for passing prison messages from Omar Abdel-Rahman, the so-called "blind sheikh" serving a life sentence for plotting to bomb New York City landmarks, to his followers, urging violent attacks.

Aafia Siddiqui, a Pakistani woman who lived in Boston, was convicted last month of trying to kill U.S. military and law enforcement personnel in Afghanistan.

"It's not a nasty attack on the prophet; it's more of a satire. But people have no sense of humor," Mr. Vilks said.

not that I condone this at all, but imagine if they did Jesus Christ as a dog. It is not funny to disrespect anyones faith.

I believe in Islam like the sun rising, not because I see it but because by it, I see everything else.
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #1 on: Mar 11, 2010 10:10 AM »

salam

I'd be just as disgusted if it were a depiction of Jesus to be honest.

The thign is, these people no longer hold anything sacred, they have no concept of honour and loving for the sake of Allah.

People often satirise that which they do not understand, little kids will make fun of the ones who are different, this is the same thing. And also the cartoon probably looks more like someone Vilks has met or is close to than anyone we hold sacred.

What should have happened is that the Islamic countries should have expressed their deep sorrow at their religion being pillorised in this fashion, they should have articulated their sadness that this supposedly tolerant country was trying to cause them such deep harm, and they should have promptly told them that in view of the fact this country is unable to respect their beliefs that their trade relations were no longer compatible, and then they should have slapped huge taxes on imports and exports to that country.......

That is the only way to teach these people who worship the green stuff.

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #2 on: Mar 11, 2010 12:18 PM »

ws,

I don't know the efficacy of selective goods boycotts or tarrifs/taxes but I like this line of thinking. We do need to strategize and think of ways to present our side in well-thought out effective ways. If we can remember back to 'The last temptation of christ' I think christian groups had various protests, media presentations, news interviews and they also leafletted like every single show. That worked. Some ppl might still go see it for the sensationalistic/art factor but people are clear on what's going on and what the sides are.

Anyways on the topic of this woman...wow they say fact is stranger than fiction and here it is. Sounds like she wasn't even Muslim and here she is crazy as ever. If I didn't know better I'd say she's one of those agent provocateurs trying to get people to do something or twist them into getting caught for something or other. Just strange.
Christine_1208
Sis

Reputation Power: 1
Christine_1208 has no influence :(

« Reply #3 on: Mar 11, 2010 05:29 PM »

I know Jannah, something does not add up.

That is the only way to teach these people who worship the green stuff.

Fozia your statement about green stuff brought a smile to my face, in my house "Green Stuff" is molokhia. Lily and jared can't pronounce it, so I get a "mommy we want green stuff" and yes they are addicted to it Tongue

I believe in Islam like the sun rising, not because I see it but because by it, I see everything else.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: