// many question s on pictures
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: “What keeps me going is goals.” Muhammad Ali quote
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: many question s on pictures  (Read 2008 times)
blackrose
Sis

Reputation Power: 3
blackrose has no influence :(

« on: Feb 09, 2008 09:57 PM »

salaam... so before I was married..i used to put frames up in my closet because we did not pray there...
anyhow are we allowed to have picture frames with pics as decorations in the house? some people say you are just not allowed to hang them.. what about ifyou just put them in the closet or some place where you do not pray..
is taking pictures even allowed... Huh??
In my sisters Islamic school there were pictures of every one and their activites in the hallway....
Abdurahman
Bro

Reputation Power: 4
Abdurahman has no influence :(

Oh Allah, Guide us to the Straight Path.

« Reply #1 on: Feb 13, 2008 12:24 AM »

Asalamualaikum wrt,

All praise be to Allah.

The majority of scholars are of the opinion that drawing pictures of living things is haraam.  However, most of these scholars make an exception for photographs if they are used for educational or government purposes.

Also, they say that videos are allowed, since they are not pictures.

As for hanging picture frames on the wall, this could lead to veneration and it is best to be avoided.  The Prophet (s) told his wife Aisha to remove some curtains that had pictures on it, so she made some cushions out of them.  This indicates that pictures that are not venerated but are on ordinary household objects are not objectionable.

And Allah knows best.

Shaykh Abdurahman

Be merciful to those on earth, and the One in the Heavens will be merciful to you.
peaceman
Bro

Reputation Power: 0
peaceman has no influence :(

« Reply #2 on: Apr 16, 2008 06:14 AM »

salaam

You are absolutely right shaikh. Sounds like you copied the answer from some of the big scholars.

For drawing pictures of animate objects, the consensus of the scholars say that it is forbidden.
For photographs and things similar to them, many scholars make an exception, based on the analogy
of a mirror; i.e. a photo is like a reflection in a mirror, and in the time of prophet Muhammed  saw
mirrors were prominent.

There is also the issue of reverance to pictures, like shaikh mentioned.

And Allah knows.

salaam

May Allah increase you in knowledge.
Take a look at my site:  http://www.tajwid.info

Also a good site with several mp3 durus of beneficial knowledge from our ulema, fiqh explaining the book "bulgh Maram" , Q&A, http://www.imamfaisal.com
cat
Sis

Reputation Power: 0
cat has no influence :(

« Reply #3 on: Apr 16, 2008 09:08 AM »

Asalamualaikum wrt,

All praise be to Allah.

As for hanging picture frames on the wall, this could lead to veneration and it is best to be avoided.  The Prophet (s) told his wife Aisha to remove some curtains that had pictures on it, so she made some cushions out of them.  This indicates that pictures that are not venerated but are on ordinary household objects are not objectionable.

And Allah knows best.

Shaykh Abdurahman

slm, with all due respect Brother, i am not too sure about the above quoted explanation.  From what little i understand of it, a picture of an animate object is still a picture and therefore it should not be permissable to be displayed in whatever form be it a curtain or other soft furnishing.  Maybe i misunderstand you post and therefore stand to be corrected here, Insha Allah.

Besides the displaying of a picture, the very act of taking or creating a picture is in some instances not acceptable.  Some believe this to be extreme *shrug* but we cannot shy away from certain things even if it makes us uncomfortable.

Narrated Said bin Abu Al-Hasan:

While I was with Ibn ‘Abbas a man came and said, “O father of ‘Abbas! My sustenance is from my manual profession and I make these pictures.” Ibn ‘Abbas said, “I will tell you only what I heard from Allah’s Apostle. I heard him saying, ‘Whoever makes a picture will be punished by Allah till he puts life in it, and he will never be able to put life in it.’ “Hearing this, that man heaved a sigh and his face turned pale. Ibn ‘Abbas said to him, “What a pity! If you insist on making pictures I advise you to make pictures of trees and any other unanimated objects.”

{Volume 3, Book 34, Number 428: Sahih Bukhari}

Source 1 : http://hadithoftheday.wordpress.com/category/angels/
Source 2 : http://www.islamicacademy.org/html/Articles/English/Picutres_in_Islam.htm

Allah knows best.

Abdurahman
Bro

« Reply #4 on: Apr 17, 2008 09:49 PM »

Asalamualaikum wrt,

All praise be to Allah, Lord of the Universe.

" i am not too sure about the above quoted explanation."

This is not my explanation.  For further information, please refer to Saheeh al Bukhari, Volume 3, Book 43, Number 659:

Narrated Al-Qasim:

"Aisha said that she hung a curtain decorated with pictures (of animates) on a cupboard. The Prophet tore that curtain and she turned it into two cushions which remained in the house for the Prophet to sit on. "

Al-Nawawi narrated from the majority of scholars among the Sahaabah and Taabi’een that pictures that are treated with disrespect, such as images in carpets and pillows, are permissable.

Shaykh Ibn Uthaymeen said: 

Images that are not three-dimensional. These are of different types:

1-     Those that are hung up to be venerated and respected, as in the case of pictures of kings, presidents, ministers, scholars etc. This is haraam because it involves exaggeration about a created being.

2-     Those that are hung up for the sake of memory, such as hanging up pictures of one's friends. This is also haraam, because of the hadeeth narrated in Saheeh al-Bukhaari from Abu Talhah (may Allaah be pleased with him), who said: “I heard the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) say: ‘The angels do not enter any house in which there is a dog or an image.’” Narrated by Muslim, no. 2104).

3-     Those that are hung up for the purpose of adornment. These are also haraam because of the hadeeth of ‘Aa’ishah who said: “The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) came back from a journey and I had hung a patterned curtain on which there were images over (the door of) a room of mine. When the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) saw it, he tore it and said, ‘The most severely punished of the people on the Day of Resurrection will be those who tried to imitate the creation of Allaah.’” She said: “So I made it into one or two cushions.” Narrated by al-Bukhaari, no. 5610; Muslim, no. 2107.

4-     Those that are treated with disrespect, such as images in carpets and pillows. Al-Nawawi narrated from the majority of scholars among the Sahaabah and Taabi’een that these are permissible.

5-     Those that have unfortunately become widespread and are difficult to avoid, such as images engraved on coins etc which have become a problem for the Muslim ummah. It seems to me that there is no sin on the one who acquires these without wanting to acquire images.

And all praise belongs to Allah, and may peace be upon His Messenger Muhammad.

And Allah knows best.

Shaykh Abdurahman

Be merciful to those on earth, and the One in the Heavens will be merciful to you.
blackrose
Sis

Reputation Power: 3
blackrose has no influence :(

« Reply #5 on: Apr 18, 2008 04:39 PM »

Aslamualaikum

So basically your kid is not allowed to draw pictures of people or animals with his/her crayons?Huh???

And masjids/islamic schools all have pictures hanging, but I dont see any as for educational purposes?Huh?? and even if it was or is allowed for educational purposes what is the proof?

And what about cartoons? It is haraam to watch them?
Abdurahman
Bro

« Reply #6 on: Apr 19, 2008 09:29 PM »

Praise be to Allaah.

Honorable sister,

If the animated pictures are of inanimate things – such as trees and cars – there is nothing wrong with producing them or watching them, because they are just drawings. But if they are of animate things – such as human beings and animals – then this is something concerning which contemporary scholars differed. The scholars of the Standing Committee are of the view that it is not allowed to make animated pictures and cartoons even if they are for shar’i purposes. 

Shaykh al-‘Uthaymeen (may Allaah have mercy on him) was of the view that it is permissible.

Based on the view that it is permissible, the one who produces them has to pay attention to a number of things, such as:

1-    Not showing prominent figures or leaders of jihad in funny ways, or showing them as saying things that they did not say.

2-    Not including music in films and animated pictures.

Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

There are some reservations. They should not attribute to any of the leaders of these conquests things that they did not say. This is the problem. I think that if these movies contain only that which is good, then there is nothing wrong with them, in sha Allaah. But if they are accompanied by music then this is not permissible, because music is haraam.

Liqaa’aat al-Baab il-Maftooh (127/question no. 10).

In some of our answers we have stated that electronic games are not permissible for children or adults if they include any music. For more information please see the answers to questions no. 2898 and 39744.

3-    Not showing men or women with their ‘awrahs uncovered or doing any haraam actions or actions of kufr such as wearing a cross or worshipping idols, even if that is for the purpose of teaching and acting.

4-    These films and animated pictures should convey a good message, or include things that teach good morals.

5-    The drawings and images should not resemble the creation of Allaah, so that the small child will not think that there is someone who makes things like the creation of Allaah.

6-    There should be no veneration of any bid’ah (innovation) or innovator, or of any evil deed or evildoer, and it should not include any mention of any innovated or haraam occasion such as celebrating the Prophet’s birthday or anyone else’s birthday.

7-    There should be no representation of the Prophets or Sahaabah, even if the stories are true.

Whatever the case:

The producer should think about what he is going to produce for the new generation, because they are going to be influenced by what they hear and see. So he should strive to convey the pure message of Islam and play a role in giving children an Islamic upbringing. So he should include in his films and cartoons respect for and teaching of prayer, honouring one’s parents and reminders of their rights, and other great Islamic virtues, as well as warning against disobedience to parents, lying, severing family ties and so on. We hope that the good things in these drawings and films will outweigh the evils of image-making and drawing. If there was unanimous agreement among the scholars we would not have said that it is permissible, even if there are numerous benefits in it, but because there are texts which make an exception for toys, even if they resemble animate beings, for children, and there are some of our scholars who say that it is permissible, we have inclined towards the view that it is allowed.

And Allaah knows best.

Regarding coloring pictures with crayons for kids, it is well known that the Prophet, may Allah's peace and blessings be upon him, saw 'Aisha with some figures of animals and the like, and he did not disapprove of that.  Thus, the scholars make an exception for the use of pictures by children for play, and for their education.

And Allah knows best.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: