Madinat al-Muslimeen Community

Login with username, password and session length

From the news...

All the world's a kabob truck.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Any Household tips?  (Read 1749 times)
blackrose
Sis

Reputation Power: 3
blackrose has no influence :(

« on: Feb 09, 2008 10:07 PM »

salaamz

Anything that you do?
 Here is one I have.. If you have old shirts that are torn ect then what I do is, I cut them up and use them as cloths to clean with!
Faizah
Sis

Reputation Power: 3
Faizah has no influence :(

« Reply #1 on: Feb 10, 2008 11:10 PM »

Always keep an extra trash bag or two in the trash can; either draped over the side or folded in the bottom.  This way when trash is emptied there's always another bag readily available and works as a great hint to remind whoever has emptied the trash to put another bag.

Also, in order to use those little slips of soap that always remain and never give enough lather and have a tendency to break and then slip down the drain, moisten both the remaining piece and the new bar and press together.  I tend to then turn the bar upside down so that the small piece is on the bottom and gravity and pressure helps it stay better.  It is of course comical when the two bars are different colors.  Another idea is to put the little bars of soap into a terry cloth drawstring bag (sew two washcloths together add string) if you'd rather not use the "press the two bars together". 
a_desert_rose
Sis

Reputation Power: 0
a_desert_rose has no influence :(

« Reply #2 on: Feb 11, 2008 08:15 PM »

Assalamualaikum

Also with old clothes, especially really colourful ones, cut them into squares or other shapes, sew the shapes together and you have a new throw/rug. What I love about this (my grandma does this with old clothes) is that clothes often have a lot of memories associated with them. We can spend hours on a rainy Sunday afternoon just talking about the different clothes and who wore what where, it's amazing the amount that people remember. Or maybe that's just women and clothes  Wink

Wassalam,
a_desert_rose
sofia
Sis

Reputation Power: 8
sofia has no influence :(

Ya Muqallib Al-Quloob thabbit quloobana ala deenik

« Reply #3 on: Feb 13, 2008 01:41 AM »

As-salaamu alaykum,

1) You can clean glass, mirrors, stainless steel and even most countertops with a little vinegar/water solution (instead of other chemicals).

2) Keep the windows open in nice weather if you're in the suburbs. It can greatly reduce indoor pollution/allergens.
I  can't wait for spring...

3) Save organic waste (fruit/veggie/egg shells) as compost for your garden.
Did I mention, I  can't wait for spring...

4) Recycle paper (you knew that), AND plastics (you knew that, too), AND glass/aluminum (you knew that, too), AND plastic bags (you can do that in most grocery stores...have you done it?).

5) For most modern dishwashers, it actually is more energy-saving-of-you to use the dishwasher (if it's full) than wash by hand.

"My Lord! Increase me in knowledge." (Qur'aan 20.114)
"Our Lord! We believe, so forgive us, and have mercy on us, for You are the Best of all who show mercy!" (23:109)
"And hold fast, all together, by the rope which Allah (stretches out for you), and be not divided among yourselves..."(3:10)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: