Madinat al-Muslimeen Community

Login with username, password and session length

From the news...

All the world's a kabob truck.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: "Good Morning Mr Phelps"  (Read 1002 times)
BrKhalid
Bro

Reputation Power: 27
BrKhalid barely matters :(BrKhalid barely matters :(

« on: Mar 15, 2010 01:58 PM »

“Good morning Mr Phelps, your mission should you decide to accept it….”

Most of you will recognize the above as the opening line of the Mission Impossible TV series which ran from the 60s and 70s.

Most of you will also probably know that the actor who lead the Impossible Missions (IM) Force, Peter Graves, passed away recently as a result of a suspected heart attack.

As a somewhat naïve youngster I often recall being glued to the screen wondering how Jim, Barney, Willy, Rollin and Cinnamon would pull their latest caper off.

In the era of the ‘whodunnit’ (Agatha Christie),  the ‘howtoproveit’ (Columbo), Mission Impossible was very much a ‘howdotheydoit?’

A cursory glance at Wikipedia suggests more episodes were made of Mission Impossible than any other English language series in its genre.

Mr Phelps was the leader of this team and it was *his* grand plans that his IM Force implemented so successfully which ensured they never found themselves ‘disavowed by the Secretary’

Yesterday I attended the funeral of a Muslim brother who also passed away.

He was 37 years old (would have been 38 today) and he leaves behind a wife and four young children.

As we covered his grave and made our final du’as one couldn’t help but reflect on how temporary this world really is and, in retrospect, how completely irrelevant it is compared with the things to come.

Mr Phelps used to sit down with his dossier and pondered over the team he would pick. Preparation was always his key.

Too often our lives are often lacking in meaningful thought as we live ‘in the moment’ of this life.

Both incidents this week serve to remind me that, at the end of the day, escaping death is the ultimate “Mission: Impossible”

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: