Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: After twelve years of therapy my psychiatrist said something that brought tears to my eyes. He said, "No hablo ingles."
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Congress passes Healthcare Reform Bill...  (Read 956 times)
JustOne
Sis

Reputation Power: 17
JustOne has no influence :(

« on: Mar 22, 2010 11:17 AM »

It's been passed, how does that make you feel?

And has anyone ever seen 'Sicko'?
blackrose
Sis

Reputation Power: 3
blackrose has no influence :(

« Reply #1 on: Mar 22, 2010 08:42 PM »

I have not seen that movie by Michael Moore..

I think its good that its been passed

what do u think
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #2 on: Mar 22, 2010 11:22 PM »

salams,

I think any type of healthcare reform is good quite honestly. The system currently is really messed up. This bill tho is odd because it will penalize ppl for not having healthcare so if they don't qualify for medicaid and are still poor and still not rich enough to buy health care or don't have it thru their job, they'll be paying a penalty for not being able to afford healthcare!! pretty convoluted.
rahma
Sis

Reputation Power: 73
rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)

« Reply #3 on: Mar 23, 2010 12:25 AM »

I really didn't care one way or the other because I couldn't find anyone to explain it to me, specifically, what it would mean to me.

Jannah, if what you say is true, I'm screwed.  I'm kinda on and off with chemo, and the way it is right now, I get aid from the hospital,  the medicine is paid by the companies, the doctor's a friend of my husband's and is letting his bill ride, so all I pay is for a once and a while CT scan (and that's about all I can handle financially).

If this situation is changed, I might not be able to afford my chemo the next go around.   Undecided

Cancer doesn't scare me in the least...

It's the medical bills that really frighten me...
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #4 on: Mar 23, 2010 12:46 AM »

You would actually be one who benefits because no company can deny you health coverage despite any pre-existing conditions. Also, there would be a cap on the amount of premiums you would have to pay. And I think there was something previously about not being able to go bankrupt over bills (not sure if they took that out?) I mean there is no doubt this bill will help a lot of people in that sense. Denying coverage for pre-existing conditions is a HUGE thing and it was completely wrong that insurance companies could do that.

I found this good article that explained a lot: http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2010/03/19/healthcare_facts_slideshow

So if someone found out they had cancer or something they could go and get health insurance that no matter how expensive it is (and there's a cap) it would cover them. Before, no one would cover them. Everything would be out of pocket and entire range of bills can be close to a million dollars. Who pays? The family's posessions are taken, their house, etc and the rest of their lives is spent paying the debt.

This bill is a kind of way to spread the cost out a little. Not sure if it'll work tho, but we'll see if it passes senate!
blackrose
Sis

Reputation Power: 3
blackrose has no influence :(

« Reply #5 on: Mar 23, 2010 06:09 AM »

well its like we are all ready required to pay car insurance so now we will be requ to pay med insurance. And over here in the south you cannot get around without a car... So I'm hoping and thinking that they may make it cheap for people in the middle ground.

Universal health care would be best but like Jannah said our system right now is terrible, millions of people die bc of lack of health insurance so any change is good right now
JustOne
Sis

Reputation Power: 17
JustOne has no influence :(

« Reply #6 on: Mar 23, 2010 12:18 PM »

I think it's a step in the right direction.... but this model sounds disastrous: capping premiums, it just doesn't really add up mathematically... because health care still isn't a public good, it's just essentially subsidized - and with pharmaceutical companies and the rest of the medical community not exactly being the most ethical out there... they could just drive prices upward and still screw everyone over.  there isn't any incentive to cut costs. but of course, i'd like to wait and see what happens with it...

I really think it'll have to go through a set of modifications before everyone is okay with it, and before it makes sense.

I thought Sicko was a great movie - biased as all of Michael Moore's flicks are - but you really get a sense of why all of us should just move to Europe Smiley

But no honestly, this one guy on there goes "we pay according to our means, and receive care according to our needs" ... sounds so Islamic, doesn't it?
BrKhalid
Bro

Reputation Power: 27
BrKhalid barely matters :(BrKhalid barely matters :(

« Reply #7 on: Mar 23, 2010 12:48 PM »

Asalaamu Alaikum bro

..but you really get a sense of why all of us should just move to Europe

It’s interesting how the UK introduced its healthcare system post WWII and at the time it was seen as eliminating the five ‘Giant Evils’ in society:

“Squalor…ignorance..want..idleness…disease”

Even to this day, there is bipartisan agreement on the need to have basic healthcare for everyone, free at the point of use.

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: