// Golf-Woods promises to wear Buddhist bracelet forever
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on. - Robert Bloch
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Golf-Woods promises to wear Buddhist bracelet forever  (Read 740 times)
BrKhalid
Bro

Reputation Power: 27
BrKhalid barely matters :(BrKhalid barely matters :(

« on: Mar 23, 2010 08:25 AM »

Asalaamu Alaikum bro

I can’t help but think of these verses when thinking of this whole Tiger Woods affair.

”We have indeed created man in the best of moulds

Then do We abase him (to be) the lowest of the low

Except such as believe and do righteous deeds: For they shall have a reward unfailing"

[95:4-6]

Golf-Woods promises to wear Buddhist bracelet forever

Rehabilitation and religion were the two themes Tiger Woods was most open about discussing in his first television interviews on Sunday since revelations about his marriage infidelities emerged last November.

Woods has long been connected to Buddhism through his Thai mother and he said his detachment from the religion had been behind his fall from grace.

“Going against your core values, losing sight of it,” he said when asked how he lost control of his life. “I quit meditating, I quit being a Buddhist, and my life changed upside down.

“I felt entitled, which I had never felt before. Consequently, I hurt so many people by my own reckless attitude and behaviour.

“I quit doing all the things that my mum and dad had taught me. And as I said earlier in my statement, I felt entitled, and that is not how I was raised.”

Although dressed in typically conservative fashion, Woods also wore a thin Buddhist bracelet, which he showed to Golf Channel viewers and said he would be wearing when he returned to golf at the U.S Masters on April 8.

“It’s Buddhist, it’s for protection and strength and I certainly need that,” he said, adding that he began wearing the bracelet before he went into rehabilitation and that he intends to wear it for ever.

Woods raised his religion in his set-piece televised apology last month, though prior to the scandal he rarely mentioned it.

Given a number of celebrities in the U.S. have ‘discovered’ religion at times of crises, Woods may find some scepticism about his readiness to be publicly associated with Buddhism now.

But in an interview with Reuters in March, 2008, where he discussed his family life, the golfer was asked directly if he was a practicing Buddhist.

“I practice meditation—that is something that I do, that my mum taught me over the years. We also have a thing we do every year, where we go to temple together,” he said.

“In the Buddhist religion you have to work for it yourself, internally, in order to achieve anything in life and set up the next life.

“It is all about what you do and you get out of it what you put into it. I am always continuing to work.”

http://sports.yahoo.com/golf/pga/news?slug=reu-woodsbuddhism&prov=reuters&type=lgns

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #1 on: Mar 23, 2010 10:30 AM »

Well, let's hope it helps him. I'm skeptical too but at least he seems to be undergoing some kind of treatment for his problems. That and being glaringly in the public eye and having such a huge fall from grace should be a big wakeup call for him. Fame and money is such a bigggg test. I don't think celebrities realize that at all.

As an aside, from what I've learned about Bhuddism, it is more a set of beliefs than practical laws for everyday. Homeboy needs to get more connected to God again and go through the steps of repentance.

WCoastbaba
Bro

Reputation Power: 51
WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)

« Reply #2 on: Mar 24, 2010 10:44 AM »

Should be interesting to see how things unfold for him in the coming months . . . I just wanted to add my thoughts on the whole thing as well.  When he won his last amateur tournament, which was in Oregon, I started my "Tiger Woods" and "golf" obsession or phase and I bought some golf books - one or two on Tiger, then one that had the details of many golf courses, as I wanted to follow each hole when I watched a tournament on TV. All this because of Tiger - yes, I thought he was a good kid, reading about how is father raised him, etc. Yet, when this stuff, broke and I thought it about it more, I wasn't surprised. Reason being is that I went to high school with the daughter of a well-known senior golfer (now retired) and she would tell us that Tiger, would call to talk to her dad for advice, etc as he was well-respected in the golfing world. She would pick up the phone sometimes, and say afterwards that he was "a jerk." Then as he said, that he felt, wrongly that he was "entitled" to behave the way he did. He should be glad that his father wasn't around to see this, at least that is the way I would feel.
 desibro
BABA

The Believers, men and women, are protectors one of another:  [9:71]
BrKhalid
Bro

Reputation Power: 27
BrKhalid barely matters :(BrKhalid barely matters :(

« Reply #3 on: Mar 24, 2010 11:48 AM »

Asalaamu Alaikum bro

Then as he said, that he felt, wrongly that he was "entitled" to behave the way he did

Very true, all the success/power/status/wealth can really get to your head.

Alhamdulillah, therefore, for the blessing of Islam which requires us to prostrate that same ‘head’ five times daily.

When he won his last amateur tournament, which was in Oregon, I started my "Tiger Woods" and "golf" obsession or phase and I bought some golf books - one or two on Tiger, then one that had the details of many golf courses, as I wanted to follow each hole when I watched a tournament on TV

At least you can always beat him when playing Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10 Wink

I used to play golf but gave up when I realized how incredibly frustrating it was to hit a ball 400 odd yards with a stick into a hole the size of a tea cup!!

Having said that, there is no denying that Tiger Woods has amazing God given talent.

InshaAllah, one day maybe he will see that truly for himself.

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]
JustOne
Sis

Reputation Power: 17
JustOne has no influence :(

« Reply #4 on: Mar 24, 2010 12:26 PM »

I read this on someone's fb status:

A lion would never cheat on his mate, but a Tiger Wood.

Haha... I guess it has to be out of context for it to be funny Sad 

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: