// Women refuse to go through airport body scanners
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: Those who Know they do not Know that to Know is to Know what they do not Know!  - (Aveccina) Ali Sina
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Women refuse to go through airport body scanners  (Read 2733 times)
BrKhalid
Bro

Reputation Power: 27
BrKhalid barely matters :(BrKhalid barely matters :(

« on: Mar 08, 2010 07:27 AM »

Asalaamu Alaikum bro

I’m not sure why there’s no pat down option in the UK but this could be mean more humiliation for Muslims travelling in and out of the country!

Women refuse to go through airport body scanners

Two women were stopped from boarding a plane at Manchester Airport after refusing to undergo a full body scan.

The passengers were due to fly to Islamabad on 19 February when they were selected at random to go through the new scanning machine.

One, who is believed to be a Muslim, refused on religious reasons and the other cited health grounds.

They are thought to be the first people to refuse to use the scanners since they became compulsory in February.

The machines were introduced as a trial at the airport in October 2009.

The women were warned they were legally required to go through the scanner, after being chosen at random, or they would not be allowed to fly, an airport spokesman said.

'Strict procedures'

It is not clear whether the women were travelling together.

Security staff use the X-ray machine to check for any concealed weapons or explosives but they have been criticised as an invasion of privacy.

A Manchester Airport spokesman said: "Two female passengers who were booked to fly out of Terminal 2 refused to be scanned for medical and religious reasons.

"In accordance with the government directive on scanners, they were not permitted to fly.

"Body scanning is a big change for customers who are selected under the new rules and we are aware that privacy concerns are on our customers' minds, which is why we have put strict procedures to reassure them that their privacy will be protected."

The women forfeited their flight and left the airport.

In US airports where scanners are installed passengers have the option of a undergoing a body search.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/manchester/8547416.stm

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]
Shahida
Sis

Reputation Power: 47
Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)

Hasbi Allah wa ni3mal wakeel!

« Reply #1 on: Mar 09, 2010 11:55 AM »

Salam alaikum

this is scarryyy, and I would have done what those ladies did too :'(

subhanAllah...this is terrible, and they have no body search option?  The article doesnt mention whether the muslim woman wore hijaab or not, but of course, we would expect hijaab-wearing sisters to be "randomly" selected for this too...

sorry Sis Fozia and BrKhalid, no matter how much we love you guys, this would so deter most ppl from wanting to visit you in the foggy UK...

such a shame
Salam
S.
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #2 on: Mar 09, 2010 12:51 PM »

salam

It's flipping deterring me from wanting to fly either.

I'm totally disgusted, a lot of people are supporting the women's rights not to go thro the detectors, as prior to the installation of the machines the goverment made this BIG song and dance about how it was all voluntary and those who objected could opt for body searches instead, the reality is infuriating people.

Altho, and this is riiilllly irritating me, the fact that the women were Muslim has been played on, I bet if it had been a couple of white women there would be uproar.... but because it was Muslim women, they're using it as an example of how we won't conform to the british way, altho I have read a lot of people are disgusted by the treatmnet, and at the scanners themselves........

Who would like to guess when the first near naked scan is going to appear on the internet?Huh?

I most certainly would not go thro one of those machines either.

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
WCoastbaba
Bro

Reputation Power: 51
WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)

« Reply #3 on: Mar 09, 2010 04:04 PM »

Salam - I've read this elsewhere too and my (and your) awesome online Sis Zaufishan actually made a cartoon about this (she's based in the UK) - which you can see here: http://www.zaufishan.co.uk/2010/03/what-lies-beneath-comic16.html

To be honest, even as a guy, I wouldn't want to go through one of those either to be honest, though I wonder if they would ask guys at all - I mean, its about our dignity as humans, not to mention common decency, etc. It's funny though, women dress today as if they are unclothed (as that one sign of the end mentions in a certain hadith) - but I'm sure even non-Muslim women would object.

Thankfully, I've gone to England (London) twice in a period of 5 weeks in Dec-Jan and I fly into Stansted Airport, in East London and they don't have the scanners there, though I think they do or will at Heathrow, as that's the major entry point for most people traveling to London, but yes, up north as these sisters were, its' been there from the start of the introduction of the scanners if I'm not mistaken.

Yes, its' scary indeed. Just seems like so many things are coming to the forefront in general - just when I though things for us couldn't get worse, but what do I know . . . . .  Huh?

Angry
BABA

The Believers, men and women, are protectors one of another:  [9:71]
BrKhalid
Bro

« Reply #4 on: Mar 10, 2010 07:30 AM »

Asalaamu Alaikum bro

Sometimes we really do have to think about how our actions will affect others and in particular other Muslims.

If we do something and it ends up causing greater harm, are we not culpable to a certain degree?

Revile not ye those whom they call upon besides Allah, lest they out of spite revile Allah in their ignorance.

[6:108]

Allah knows best.

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]
Christine_1208
Sis

Reputation Power: 1
Christine_1208 has no influence :(

« Reply #5 on: Mar 10, 2010 07:04 PM »

Muslim or non-muslim, no way would I ever go through that thing. It is sick. Great job for some sick pervs out there. Imagine your children going through there!! Man, it is so disgusting! Next year Inshallah I plan to go to Ciaro. I am not looking forward to flying, better start practicing my back stroke. Sharks in the water.... sharks on the land, just a little different in the anatomy.

I believe in Islam like the sun rising, not because I see it but because by it, I see everything else.
BrKhalid
Bro

« Reply #6 on: Mar 25, 2010 01:34 PM »

Asalaamu Alaikum bro

It was only a matter of time….

Airport worker scans colleague

A security worker at London's Heathrow Airport has received a police warning and faces disciplinary action over claims he ogled a female colleague using a full-body scanner, officials said yesterday.

The 25-year-old worker made lewd comments after his colleague Jo Margetson, 29, mistakenly strayed into the scanner, which can see through clothes to produce an image of the body, the Sun newspaper reported.

The case is believed to be the first of its kind since the full-body scanners were rushed into service at a number of British airports in the wake of an attempt by a suspected terrorist to blow up a plane bound for Detroit on December 25.

They are now being rolled out at airports across the world.

Details of the incident at Heathrow's Terminal 5 on March 10 emerged on the day lawmakers said concerns that the scanners were intrusive had been overblown.

Margetson told the Sun she had been "traumatised" by what had happened and had informed police and her bosses at the airport's operator BAA.

"We treat any allegations of inappropriate behaviour or misuse of security equipment very seriously and these claims are being investigated thoroughly," said a spokeswoman for BAA.

"If found to be substantiated, we will take appropriate action."

A Metropolitan Police spokesman said officers had been informed of the allegation and "a first instance harassment warning has been issued to a 25-year-old man".

Opponents of scanners have argued since their introduction that they risked breaching individuals' rights to privacy. Britain's Equality and Human Rights Commission has already said they might be breaking discrimination and privacy laws.

"For every official caught ogling like this, there are plenty more eyeing up law-abiding travellers," Alex Deane, director of the Big Brother Watch campaign group, told the Sun.

"These expensive machines are totally disproportionate."

The government says staff using the machines are properly supervised and would not be able to see the person being scanned. All images are deleted. Britain's parliamentary Home Affairs Committee said fears about the scanners were misplaced and they should be introduced at a faster pace to deal with the threat of terrorism.

http://gulfnews.com/news/world/uk/airport-worker-scans-colleague-1.602496

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: