// Facebook related stuff thread!
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: "What's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet" - Juliet in Shakespeare's 'Romeo and Juliet', Act 2 Scene 2
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Facebook related stuff thread!  (Read 9114 times)
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« on: Apr 06, 2010 06:58 PM »

K we can put all facebook related stuff in here...

A great video I found on Etiquette on Tagging!!

Wish everyone followed this:

Halima
Sis

Reputation Power: 39
Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)

« Reply #1 on: Apr 08, 2010 04:02 AM »

16-year-old accuses mom of Facebook slander

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36216614/ns/technology_and_science-tech_and_gadgets

Also read....

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36101996/ns/technology_and_science-tech_and_gadgets/ns/technology_and_science-tech_and_gadgets/

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36023277/ns/technology_and_science-tech_and_gadgets/ns/technology_and_science-tech_and_gadgets/

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28938524/ns/technology_and_science-tech_and_gadgets/ns/technology_and_science-tech_and_gadgets/ns/technology_and_science-tech_and_gadgets/wid/11915829/GT1/40000/

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35894774/ns/technology_and_science-tech_and_gadgets/ns/technology_and_science-tech_and_gadgets/ns/technology_and_science-tech_and_gadgets/ns/technology_and_science-tech_and_gadgets/

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35466408/ns/technology_and_science-tech_and_gadgets/ns/technology_and_science-tech_and_gadgets/ns/technology_and_science-tech_and_gadgets/ns/technology_and_science-tech_and_gadgets/

While the teen story is every parent's nightmare, the last one gives me the creeps! I shudder!!!

The Almighty Allah says,

"When a servant thinks of Me, I am near.
When he invokes Me, I am with him.
If he reflects on Me in secret, I reply in secret,
And if he acknowledges Me in an assembly,
I acknowledge him in a far superior assembly."

- Prophet Muhammad (SAW), as reptd by Abu Huraira
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #2 on: Apr 19, 2010 07:33 PM »

salam

Hahahaha
omg! omg!

My dad is on facebook!!!! Shocked

has he tried to friend you?

One of my friends dad joined f/b, her status at the time was hysterical 'My dad has joined f/b, dear God, pelase don't let him poke me....'

Wassalaaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
blackrose
Sis

Reputation Power: 3
blackrose has no influence :(

« Reply #3 on: Apr 22, 2010 06:48 AM »

salaam

many facebook news:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/news/facebook
jannah
Administrator

jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010 07:26 PM »

This website provides an independent and open tool for scanning your Facebook privacy settings. The source code and its development will always remain open and transparent.

http://www.reclaimprivacy.org/
WCoastbaba
Bro

Reputation Power: 51
WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2010 06:59 PM »

Salaam all - I this is not completely connected to security issue stuff, but just been informed by a Sister I know in Pakistan that Facebook has been shut down there for tomorrow and the "Draw Muhammad Day" activity.

Though the original instigators of this have removed themselves from the act, others have decided to go ahead with it. I would love to know what any of you are doing, if anything in response, your opinion on this and if there has been any statements from Imam Shakir, Imam Webb and others.

I know that a channel on YT is coming out with a video that they want people to re-upload.

A blog I follow (QuranClub) says we should ignore it and others that I respect have shown support for this non-action as well.
 desibro
BABA

The Believers, men and women, are protectors one of another:  [9:71]
Hard2Hit
Bro

Reputation Power: 15
Hard2Hit has no influence :(

Taubah

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2010 07:58 PM »

Salaams,

It'll be blocked till 31st May I guess: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/8691406.stm

I was planning to go for a symbolic boycott for 1 or more days, but couldn't really give it much thought to decide this as I was busy elsewhere. And like many other Muslims, I reported that page to FB authorities/admins.

That said, FB isn't exactly supporting that page, so IMO totally boycotting FB or deleting one's account doesn't really make sense.

The temporary boycott/blocking by PTA is a sensible move though. It might just make FB admins realize that they should have taken down that page.

-me

The knight doesn't wait when he's ill or has cancer brother, the knight fights on... He finds a strategy, changes tactics, and hits hard.
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2010 08:11 PM »

ws,

most shaykhs (ie suhaib webb) advocate ignorning them. they are a very small fringe element and making such a huge deal of it, ie having COUNTRIES block facebook because of it is ridiculous. no one even heard of this event until muslims made such a big deal of it Sad why don't those countries have a 'celebration of Muhammad(s)'s legacy' week or something to educate ppl instead. sheesh kabobs

silver
Sis

silver has no influence :(

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2010 08:32 PM »

Salaams,

I am not aware of what sheikhs are saying so I can't really comment. But in my opinion this is a very positive move by the Pakistani government. When the caricatures were published in the Danish newspapers, nobody knew what they were, it was the outrage of the Muslims and their protests that made them so widely known. So? Does it mean we should just be patient and be silent and do nothing about it. Of course not. We have to mark our protest. And yes, in Pakistan, they do organize lectures to educate people.  Smiley

Wasalam!
Hard2Hit
Bro

Reputation Power: 15
Hard2Hit has no influence :(

Taubah

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2010 08:32 PM »

And why their organizing a 'Celebration of Muhammad(s)'s legacy' week, has anything to do with this FB event, when you yourself say the event should be ignored?

Temporarily blocking them is like a silent protest, and an act of solidarity with Muhammad sallahu alaehi wassalam. It can be done is parallel to reminding the masses of the Nobel life of The Final Prophet peace be upon him.

I dont get the point.

The knight doesn't wait when he's ill or has cancer brother, the knight fights on... He finds a strategy, changes tactics, and hits hard.
Halima
Sis

Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)

« Reply #10 on: Jul 05, 2010 06:53 AM »

Who Really Runs Facebook?

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=5&ved=0CDIQqQIwBA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pcworld.com%2Farticle%2F200290%2Fwho_really_runs_facebook.html%3Ftk%3Dhp_new&ei=3GkxTMr8CYWClAff_N2LCQ&usg=AFQjCNFtbZr34Crwf95E8FU4DLbT4ruNBg

The Almighty Allah says,

Halima
Sis

« Reply #11 on: Jul 11, 2010 04:32 PM »

Among friends, I want face-to-face, not Facebook

By RHONDA SWAN, The Gazette July 11, 2010

There's family. And there's Facebook family.

There are friends. And there are Facebook friends.

I expect a lot more from close family members with whom I share a bloodline than from my Facebook family. And a lot more from close friends than Facebook friends.

Of course, several of my Facebook friends are also close friends, but far more -like 200 -are friends of friends of friends that I don't even know.

I bring this up because last week I asked my teenage cousin if she had remembered to call her uncle and wish him happy birthday. "No," she said, "I Facebooked him." (Facebook, like Google, is apparently a verb now.)

"That," I responded, "is not good enough."

She is, after all, his only niece. "So I guess," she said, "you're saying I should call him?"

"You guess right," I said. "And just so you know, when my birthday rolls around again, I want a personal message. Don't Facebook me."

It's not that I have anything against Facebook. When it comes to certain things, though, I want the people I care about to make more of an effort to communicate with me than posting an online message I might not see for a week. Or two. Or even three.

Someone told me once that as a writer it was imperative that I keep up with the latest in social networking. So I have a Facebook account. I don't, however, visit the site daily. I've got a Twitter account, but I rarely tweet. I've even got a MySpace page I haven't logged into since 2009.

My point? Though the Guardian this week published a story headlined "How Facebook will take over the world," noting that the site soon will announce its 500 millionth user, it hasn't yet taken over my world.

I don't want Facebook or any other social networking site to be the primary method of communicating with me.

I do know that when something special happens in my life the people I've known since pogo sticks, Pop Rocks and Pac Man should be reaching out and touching me by means other than a mouse click.

I have one friend who used to send me cards and flowers and always remembered to call on my birthday. Last year, I got nothing. Or so I thought. A couple of days later, I asked if he'd forgotten. "Of course not," he said. "I wished you happy birthday on Facebook. It's not the same as a card, but ..."

I logged on and sure enough he and dozens of others had sent me good wishes. I was grateful for the Facebook love, but I would have rather had a card, or the flowers. More important, I would rather have had a call.

I realize that technology has made our lives easier and it's even helped to keep us connected, or, in some cases, to reconnect. A childhood friend I'd lost touch with for 20 years found me on Facebook. We exchanged numbers and talked for hours. I've caught up with other long-lost friends that way, too.

Technology, however, also has enabled too many of us to take the easy way out. Impersonal communication has become the norm.

A 2008 study by Wirefly. com found that four per cent of those surveyed ended a romantic involvement by text message.

Scott Ableman, Wirefly's senior vice president of marketing, said his staff was "intrigued, amused and concerned," that one in 25 had opted for the cop-out.

When did talking -both face to face and on the phone -go out of style?

Sometimes I'd rather hear a human voice than read a text or email. Share a real laugh instead of an LOL. A hug instead of a smiley face. Say what's on my mind instead of typing it in a box.

The art of conversation isn't dead. It's on life support. Let's not pull the plug.

© Copyright (c) The Montreal Gazette

Read more: http://www.montrealgazette.com/life/Among+friends+want+face+face+Facebook/3262991/story.html#ixzz0tO8GqBw5

The Almighty Allah says,

Halima
Sis

« Reply #12 on: Jul 15, 2010 12:29 AM »

Well, well, well, if this isn't ironic, I don't know what is!!!

Facebook page hails murderer a hero

By Rachael Brown

Posted 13 minutes ago

Britain's prime minister David Cameron has called on Facebook to remove a page which contains thousands of tributes for gunman Raoul Moat.

Moat shot himself after a stand-off with police in the Northumberland town of Rothbury at the weekend.

He had been on the run for a week after shooting his ex-girlfriend, killing her new partner, then shooting a police officer.

Floral tributes are piling up at the gunman's home and at the riverbank where he shot himself in Rothbury.

But the tributes branding him a hero have sparked anger among those who survived Moat's attacks.

Unarmed police officer David Rathband was blinded when Moat shot him in the face with a sawn-off shotgun in an unprovoked attack.

"As he stopped running towards the car, looked at me, I looked at him, he lifted the gun, pushed it forward and then discharged the weapon through my window," he said.

Kelly Stobbart is the half-sister of Moat's ex-girlfriend, Samantha Stobbart. She says she is disgusted by Moat's burgeoning hero status.

"How can someone that does something like that to an innocent person be a legend, it is just disgusting," she said.

The messages of sympathy attached to the flowers, and the ones posted on Facebook, have been slammed by Mr Cameron.

"Raoul Moat was a callous murderer, full stop, end of story" Mr Cameron told the House of Commons.

"I cannot understand any wave, however small, of public sympathy for this man."

The government has asked Facebook to take down the tribute page, which has more than 30,000 followers.

It contains a host of anti-police statements and comments like "He was just misunderstood" and "I blame your ex."

Facebook says that while the online comments might be unsavoury to some, they are within the rules of the site.

"Facebook is a place where people can express things in an open way," it said in a statement.

"People finding some topics distasteful is not a reason in itself to stop a debate from happening."

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=6&ved=0CDcQqQIwBQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.abc.net.au%2Fnews%2Fstories%2F2010%2F07%2F15%2F2954142.htm%3Fsection%3Djustin&ei=OEc-TNjsNsSAlAekouX3BQ&usg=AFQjCNGCAel3_38ujJFd1xR8ssHYg4FcJQ

The Almighty Allah says,

Halima
Sis

« Reply #13 on: Jul 15, 2010 12:34 AM »

This, I really think, is stupid!!! Facebook should know better.

How to Think About Vaseline Skin Whitening Facebook App

Jul 14 2010, 4:54 PM ET | 

Vaseline's latest marketing campaign, largely targeted at south Asia but accessible globally, will probably make you uncomfortable. It's a Facebook application that whitens the skin of photos that users upload of themselves.

Jezebel opened fire on the app, saying it "crowdsourced racism." Certainly, modern humans' desire to make their skin darker or lighter is a rather icky reminder of the pigmentocracy that exists in many countries (like my own birth country, Mexico). "If this is the future -- one of user-generated prejudice and do-it-yourself-loathing -- I almost miss good old airbrushing," wrote Jezebel's Anna North.

But the issues around skin whitening (or darkening) are not as simple as they might seem. When Matthew Battles, editor of HiLoBrow.com, posted the item to Google Buzz (yes, people do use it), an unusually worthwhile discussion broke out. Quiet Babylon blogger Tim Maly, in particular, wondered whether there wasn't room for a more subtle treatment of the issue than Jezebel had given it.

Navneet Alang, York University Ph.D. student in English and This Magazine columnist, came through with a comment that provides a fast summary of how deep the roots of the Facebook app really go.

I've been thinking about this since I heard about it, but it's important to note that the preference for fair skin pre-exists the colonial encounter by a couple of thousand years. It starts with the Vedas and then carries on through poetry and music (which were largely inextricable in 'Indian culture'). In fact, to call someone 'meri gori' - which transliterates as 'my fair-skinned one - is another way of saying my sweetheart or whatever.

The class/labour issue is definitely all there, but so is caste, which isn't the entirely the same thing as class (i.e. its dynamics function in a sphere that isn't just socio-economic). Oh also, the colourism is also linked with the Aryan/Dravidian divide that is also largely the North/South divide which is also a Sanskrit-derived langauge vs. Tamil-derived language divide and so on and so on...

[T]his isn't just a question of race or imperialism or eurocentrism, but is a lot more layered and messy. Which just makes it a thousand times harder to change.
Last note: I put my relatively tanned face through the whitener and I could hardly tell the difference. I'll post pics shortly.

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=4&ved=0CDEQqQIwAw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.theatlantic.com%2Fscience%2Farchive%2F2010%2F07%2Fhow-to-think-about-vaseline-skin-whitening-facebook-app%2F59777%2F&ei=OEc-TNjsNsSAlAekouX3BQ&usg=AFQjCNHxGqavRuM8e8Va0euuSjasytC9PA

The Almighty Allah says,

rahma
Sis

Reputation Power: 73
rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)

« Reply #14 on: Jul 15, 2010 03:01 PM »

What do you think of this:

http://tnerd.com/2010/07/13/2-5-million-muslims-threaten-to-quit-facebook-on-21st-of-july/

So, you guys gonna quit?

BrKhalid
Bro

Reputation Power: 27
BrKhalid barely matters :(BrKhalid barely matters :(

« Reply #15 on: Jul 15, 2010 09:31 PM »

Asalaamu Alaikum  bro

Can't really comment because I'm not on fb but I thought the URL for this alternative Muslim fb site was interesting.

It is located at www.madina.com

Our URL for this board is www.themadina.com

I wonder if we are going to get a whole raft misdirected visitors if this alternative takes off?

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #16 on: Jul 16, 2010 06:50 AM »

ws,

I tried to get madina.com but it was taken Sad at that time it was actually someone in Madinat al Munawarrah that was posting information about madina historical sites and stuff. if that site is like facebook it will get sued eventually. facebook is a multi-BILLION dollar company...unfortunately so many sites have tried but you can't just compete with them Sad
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #17 on: Aug 07, 2010 03:14 AM »

Yeah I can see this happening to Muslim women soon...
================================

On Facebook, wife learns of husband's 2nd wedding
August 5, 2010 Associated Press Writer
http://www.physorg.com/news200209636.html

Enlarge

In this July 2005 photo provided by Lynn France, Lynn France, right, poses for a photo with her husband John France on their wedding day on Italy's Amalfi Coast. In January of 2009, France discovered her husband's affair on Facebook. (AP Photo/Courtesy of Lynn France) NO SALES

(AP) -- Dread of the unknown hung in the air as Lynn France typed two words into the search box on Facebook: the name of the woman with whom she believed her husband was having an affair.

Click. And there it was, the stuff of nightmares for any spouse, cuckolded or not. Wedding photos. At Walt Disney World, no less, featuring her husband literally dressed as Prince Charming. His new wife, a pretty blonde, was a glowing Sleeping Beauty, surrounded by footmen.

"I was numb with shock, to tell you the truth," says France, an occupational therapist from Westlake, a Cleveland suburb. "There was like an album of 200 pictures on there. Their whole wedding."

Affairs were once shadowy matters, illicit encounters whispered about and often difficult to prove. But in the age of Facebook and Twitter and lightning-fast communication, the notion of privacy is fast becoming obsolete. From flirtatious text messages to incriminating e-mails, marital indiscretions are much easier to track - especially if potentially damaging photographic evidence is posted online.

"All of these things are just a trail of cyber breadcrumbs that are easily tracked by good divorce lawyers," says Parry Aftab, an expert on Internet safety and privacy laws.

France, 41, was not completely blindsided by her Facebook discovery, which happened in January 2009. That fall, she had grown suspicious when her husband began taking frequent business trips, even leaving the day the couple's newborn son came home from the hospital. Once, she found his passport at home when he was supposed to be in China for business.

In October, before leaving for another trip, her husband left a hotel website up on the couple's computer screen.

"So I actually went there with a girlfriend, just to see for myself for sure," France says. "He was there with this girlfriend. I said, `Hey, I'm his wife. We've got a baby.'"

The woman told France that she was engaged to France's husband.

"Sure enough, they were registered for a wedding at Target," France says.

A girlfriend recommended checking the woman's Facebook page, which was then open to the public, France says, but has since become private. There, France found evidence of an unfolding relationship that she still couldn't wrap her head around. Overwhelmed with two young children, she confronted her husband. She says he told her he wouldn't actually go through with the wedding.

It wasn't until she saw the wedding photos that she finally began divorce proceedings.

"People who engage in these sorts of behaviors now have the option of trying to keep things private or turning it into a spectacle and becoming their own reality show," says lawyer Andrew Zashin, a child custody expert who is representing Lynn France. "In this case, it seems, the spouse may have crossed the line and gotten married while he was still married."

Aftab, a lawyer who runs the online protection site WiredSafety.org, says the lesson to be learned from the Frances' case is that no form of communication is sacred anymore.

"It's like trying to catch a river in your hand," she says. "It will leak out eventually."

But Aftab doesn't recommend snooping around online. That can backfire in court if used inappropriately - such as when spouses log onto each other's Facebook pages without permission. If your spouse isn't trustworthy, she says, get a divorce and save yourself the trouble.

Lynn's husband, John France, does not deny that he has remarried. Rather, he simply is insisting that he was never married to Lynn in the first place.

His attorney, Gary Williams, issued a statement Tuesday saying his client is asking a family law court to declare that his marriage to Lynn was "void since its inception."

"While it appears that John and Lynda France were both under the impression, once upon a time, that they were married, the fact of the matter is that their marriage was never legally proper," Williams wrote, "and, therefore, it does not actually exist."

Lynn and John France were married in July 2005 in a seaside wedding on Italy's Amalfi Coast, having organized the event through Regency San Marino, which coordinates weddings for couples looking to get hitched in Italy. On the company's website, Lynn is still the first radiant bride whose portrait appears in a gauzy veil, the brilliant blue sea behind her.

If that wedding was a fraud, it was news to Lynn.

"If that were true, then he's lied to the IRS," Zashin says. "He's lied to insurance companies. Banks."

In June 2009, against the advice of her attorneys, Lynn France dropped divorce proceedings when her husband came home and persuaded her to reconcile.

"I just wanted to believe the good when he came to me and said, `Let's reconcile, I love you,'" she says. "You want to give somebody a second chance."

But three months ago, Lynn says she was cleaning the sink when her husband took the couple's 2-year-old son out of her arms and said he was going to give him some milk. Minutes later, she heard the car running.

"He threw them in, no car seats, no nothing, and took off," she says.

She hasn't seen her sons since. John France had taken them to Tampa, Fla., where he currently lives with his new wife and, according to his attorney, is seeking custody of their children.

Lynn France called 911, but as in most parental custody disputes, little could be done. She is in contact with the Center for Missing and Exploited Children and has a team of attorneys preparing for a court fight. Authorities have told her not to attempt to take back the children forcibly.

For Lynn, the only glimpse of her children now comes, ironically, from the same Facebook page where she found those fairy-tale wedding photos.

Until the day she can see her children again, Lynn France says she continues to text her husband, pleading with him to bring the children back to Ohio.

"The only way I've been able to see my children is on her Facebook page," she says. "It's stranger than fiction to watch this woman living my life."
Halima
Sis

« Reply #18 on: Aug 09, 2010 11:37 PM »

Wowd: A Faster, More Powerful Way to Explore Facebook

This add-on supplements -- not replaces -- Facebook management, making it easier to search out common threads.
Harry McCracken, Technologizer

Aug 9, 2010 1:01 pm

Facebook describes itself as "a social utility that helps people communicate more efficiently with their friends, family and coworkers." True enough, but there's one basic problem: The more friends, family, and coworkers you communicate with, the less efficient Facebook is. That's because it offers surprisingly few features for navigating your way through the surging sea of updates you get if you have more than a handful of connections. Once an item scrolls off the front page of your news feed, chances are pretty good that you'll never see it again. And interesting nuggets can get lost among stuff you couldn't care less about.

Enter Wowd, a real-time search engine that aims to help Facebook be better at living up to its own mission. It's introducing a new version with something it calls a "social discovery client for Facebook" today. I got a sneak peek before it opened the tool up to the masses.

You use Wowd in your browser, so it feels like a Web service. But it's really something increasingly rare: a piece of (free) downloadable software, available in versions for Windows, Macs, and Linux. Both the app and its data are stored on your computer rather than in the cloud. (More on that in a bit.)

As before, the Wowd software gives you a real-time Web search engine/directory and the ability to search your own Web history. But its most interesting features by far are its new tools for searching and browsing Facebook. This isn't a comprehensive alternative interface for the world's most popular social network: It doesn't let you read your inbox, add friends, upload photos, use applications, or do scads of other things you can do in Facebook itself. It's just about your current friends, the items they're posting, and your reaction to them. (You can "Like" items and comment on them from within Wowd, but if you try to do something such as view a photo album, it shuttles you off to Facebook.)

My favorite Wowd feature is one of its most straightforward: full-text search for Facebook items from your friends. It's like being able to Google their posts for keywords, and it's a great way to track down tidbits that might have scrolled away while you weren't paying attention.

For example, after I saw Dinner for Schmucks this afternoon, I used Wowd to see what my pals were saying about it:

Wowd's Facebook search only finds the items which Wowd has downloaded to your hard drive, which means that if you install the software right now, it'll just retrieve recent items. It'll be a more powerful tool if you leave Wowd running for a few months so it can capture, preserve, and index gazillions of items. Even so, it's a feature that could change how you use Facebook, unless you have only a handful of friends and follow their activities religiously.

Wowd also goes beyond Facebook by letting you create, filter, and search custom feeds. While Facebook itself lets you create groups of people such as "High School Buddies" and view a feed of their activity, Wowd allows you to build custom feeds that show only specific people and/or items that contain one or more keywords you specify. You can also search any of these feeds, or restrict them to specific types of content, such as updates, links, or photos.

Wowd aims to feel like an infinite stream of real-time content--new items appear automatically as they come in, and if you scroll backwards in a feed, you just keep going without having to click through any additional pages. You can also tell it to alert you via desktop notifications when new items arrive in a custom feed you've created.

Oh, and the software has a despamming feature which removes automated updates issued by games from your feed. I don't find such updates a major nuisance on Facebook itself, where I have 1675 friends--the spam is so radically outnumbered by more interesting stuff that I rarely see it. But you might find this useful if your Facebook feeds are overwhelmed by news of people building barns and tending to cattle. (Reading the dozens of FarmVille alerts that Wowd had automatically segregated for me was a mind-numbing experience.)

Wowd also has a feature I don't understand: A bulletin-board summary of your wall. None of the items on mine are clickable, one item consists of a list of words that may or may not be trending topics in my own updates, and there's a mysterious blank scrap of paper.

I encountered a few other oddities in the preview version of the software. For instance, I spotted at least one item in Facebook that seemed not to have made its way into Wowd, and the dialog you use to create custom feeds was sometimes weirdly sluggish. It also crashed once. (A Wowd representative said that the version I tried had bugs which had been squashed in time for today's general release.)

Assuming that the software has no nagging glitches, another question remains: Is the fact that it's an application rather than a purely Web-based service a pro or a con? I'm instinctively nervous that software that runs in the background, as Wowd does, might bog down my computer or hurt its reliability; I also fret about being responsible for ensuring that the local database gets backed up. But I haven't noticed any performance hit since I installed the program, and its settings include options for controlling how much bandwidth it grabs.

My biggest gripe is that the Wowd experience is a little disjointed. There's the background utility and the Web-based interface, and you'll spend plenty of time flipping in and out of Facebook itself. I'd like a way to get into Wowd within Facebook...and I certainly wouldn't squawk if Facebook rendered it superflous by adding similar features.

Wowd's creators liken the software to Twitter clients such as TweetDeck and point out the virtues of the app-based approach--most notably that it reduces privacy concerns by keeping all your data on your own computer rather than Wowd's servers. All in all, I buy it, and I'm finding the software a handy way to get a better handle on all the many things my Facebook pals are trying to tell me.

For more smart takes on technology, visit Technologizer.com. Story copyright © 2010, Technologizer. All rights reserved.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/202910/wowd_a_faster_more_powerful_way_to_explore_facebook.html?tk=hp_new

The Almighty Allah says,

saleem
Bro

Reputation Power: 27
saleem barely matters :(saleem barely matters :(

« Reply #19 on: Sep 16, 2010 08:00 AM »

http://finance.yahoo.com/family-home/article/110674/6-things-you-should-never-reveal-on-facebook
blackrose
Sis

blackrose has no influence :(

« Reply #20 on: Sep 17, 2010 03:15 AM »

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39219106/ns/technology_and_science-tech_and_gadgets
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #21 on: Nov 11, 2010 12:03 PM »

Finally someone puts into words how I feel about facebook!!

Good article: http://www.altmuslimah.com/a/b/a/a_spiritual_struggle_with_facebook1
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #22 on: Jan 13, 2011 06:32 PM »

I think of facebook like walmart... so all-encompassing all-encroaching that soon all little independent websites like ours will soon be eaten up Sad
WCoastbaba
Bro

Reputation Power: 51
WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)

« Reply #23 on: Jan 15, 2011 07:38 AM »

Wow, craziness. Once again, I feel so SPECIAL!!!! (I'm a rare gem, NOT ON FACEBOOK!)  Smiley

BABA
 desibro

The Believers, men and women, are protectors one of another:  [9:71]
Nafs
« Reply #24 on: Jan 19, 2011 05:13 PM »

Lol that's a crazy chart! it reminds me of this video of a bunch of classroom kids with posters that have little comments on them (I know this is vague but if anyone knows of this video, please do share the link).

WCBABA, lol ...have you ever had one? I deleted mine awhile ago ...yes it is possible to delete! (according to fb itself).
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: