// Facebook related stuff thread!
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: “If you are destined for good fortune you will be blessed; if afflictions have been ordained, no matter where you hide they will seek you out. Submit therefore before the will of Allah; be grateful in well-being and endure adversity with fortitude, that His light may radiate within your being.” -Shaikh Abdul Qadir Jilani (R.A)
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Facebook related stuff thread!  (Read 9184 times)
WCoastbaba
Bro

Reputation Power: 51
WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)

« Reply #25 on: Jan 20, 2011 02:16 PM »

Salaam Sis Nafs - yes, I had one about 4 years ago, then a bunch of my familiy members joined, but the only one that would write on my wall (including on my high school classmates) was a relative that is kind enough to - e-mail and SMS me and she's in Pakistan! (SMS while I'm here in Prague and e-mail in general).

BABA
 desibro

The Believers, men and women, are protectors one of another:  [9:71]
Halima
Sis

Reputation Power: 39
Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)

« Reply #26 on: Aug 11, 2011 10:21 PM »

Facebook: A New Frontier in Social Awkwardness

Facebook is getting so awkward, isn’t it?

Personally, I can’t take the pressure.   It was bad enough when our parents, aunts, and uncles began to join.  I don’t know about you, but sometimes I still manage to forget they’re in my contacts and I say something wildly inappropriate only to be scolded seconds later.  Then all these apps and games and silly questionnaires came through and all the sudden I’m forced to virtually break up with my friend because she won’t stop telling me to water her virtual crops.  Sure, I could just weed through my privacy settings and try to block app invites, but if my friend is the kind of person that constantly bugs me to water her fake crops, do I really want to be her friend anymore?

These are the sorts of hard-hitting questions I’m faced with every time Facebook ‘upgrades’.

Things got even more intense when Facebook leveled-up to real-time updates so that when you stare at your mini-feed you can actually see someone’s comment post at the very moment they do it.   And now, the ultimate mega stresser: Facebook chat.

It could be the super awkward hermit in me, but the chat is where I draw the line.  The beauty of Facebook used to be that it was casual and cool.   People could post on each other’s walls at their leisure.   In a world where the weight of a cell phone text or an email is so heavy that people expect a response immediately, Facebook was the one place I could still go if I wanted to socialize at a relaxed pace.

Facebook relaxation is now dead to me.

When I log on, I have updates that need tended to.  I have people commenting on pictures or saying hello or writing on my wall to ask me to hang out that same day.  I have messages from friends who haven’t caught up in a while and think email is too impersonal.  And sometimes while I’m tending to those things, someone is online at the very same moment and responds immediately.  Immediately! Then there’s all this pressure.  Do I have to follow up? Can I go log off?  They’re on.  They see me.  They know I updated only 5 seconds ago; it’s stamped right there in cold, gray text. I can’t possibly just leave – I have to finish the conversation.

I also have to manage my status updates.  Because if I tell a friend I’m too busy to hang out one night but I update my status at 8:35pm saying how much I love Arrested Development, it’s voluntary incrimination.   It doesn’t matter if it’s on in the background while I’m working.  It doesn’t matter if I thought of a funny episode and it wasn’t even on television.  That friendship is doomed. 

Doomed.

Don’t even get me started on birthdays and engagements.  Talk about stress! Seriously?! Every year on my birthday I have to be wished a happy birthday by hundreds of people I haven’t talked to in ages.  On one hand, it’s nice to feel loved.  On the other, you know that if any of those people really cared about your birthday they’d have called.  Or written.  Or emailed.  And now I feel inclined to follow up with them to see how they are, but I don’t know if they were really reaching out or if they just wanted to hop on the birthday bandwagon.

I don’t even recognize some of their names.

I’m not the only one who feels this pressure.  I know it.  Because not long ago, some dear friends of mine got engaged.  And while I was relishing in the happy moment with them, they admitted that they were quite exhausted because they had to be sure to call every single person that was even remotely close to them to let them know they were engaged before those people saw it on Facebook and got offended that they found out online and not from them.

You see? What are we doing to ourselves?!

So no, Facebook, I will not be utilizing your ‘Facebook Chat’.  The last thing I need in this too-accessible age is to log on and be immediately available to a thousand people, try to figure out how to end conversations with everyone because I don’t want to deal with them, and then worry about what to update my status to that will be amusing but also not indicate that I was having too much ‘not-too-busy-to-chat’ fun.

Lord help us; Facebook will be the end of us all. ♣

http://thejackieblog.com/2011/08/10/facebook-a-new-frontier-in-social-awkwardness/#comments

The Almighty Allah says,

"When a servant thinks of Me, I am near.
When he invokes Me, I am with him.
If he reflects on Me in secret, I reply in secret,
And if he acknowledges Me in an assembly,
I acknowledge him in a far superior assembly."

- Prophet Muhammad (SAW), as reptd by Abu Huraira
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 279
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #27 on: Aug 12, 2011 05:46 AM »

salam,

I hate facebook. I realize it's a great resource and everything's so easy like adding pictures, creating an event, contacting ppl, posting articles. But you know, because of it's nature, it just makes me feel like I'm less friends with people. It almost seems more a competitive environment with frenemies and friends alike. More about "image" and "images". And you can't really unfriend ppl because they get offended, and you cant really post everything you want because at least one person can be offended and you don't really like everybody or actually know everyone. And do I really need to see every personal life detail of someone I used to know 15 years ago? The privacy settings of course you could play with but are so complex and at times ridiculous.

And of course we know the spread of facebook has spelled the twilight of the madina!! Remember when we would have pages of long through, thoughtful posts by people about one topic!! And they would be like fun, and funny posts back and forth. Yeah now the most ppl like to do is hit a "like" button Wink

Anyway a great letter from the hacker group Anonymous Cheesy (although they've taken it back and said they're not doing it now)

Attention citizens of the world,

We wish to get your attention, hoping you heed the warnings as follows:
Your medium of communication you all so dearly adore will be destroyed. If you are a willing hacktivist or a guy who just wants to protect the freedom of information then join the cause and kill facebook for the sake of your own privacy.

Facebook has been selling information to government agencies and giving clandestine access to information security firms so that they can spy on people from all around the world. Some of these so-called whitehat infosec firms are working for authoritarian governments, such as those of Egypt and Syria.

Everything you do on Facebook stays on Facebook regardless of your "privacy" settings, and deleting your account is impossible, even if you "delete" your account, all your personal info stays on Facebook and can be recovered at any time. Changing the privacy settings to make your Facebook account more "private" is also a delusion. Facebook knows more about you than your family. http://www.physorg.com/news170614271.htmlhttp://itgrunts.com/2010/10/07/facebook-steals-numbers-and-data-from-your-iph....

You cannot hide from the reality in which you, the people of the internet, live in. Facebook is the opposite of the Antisec cause. You are not safe from them nor from any government. One day you will look back on this and realise what we have done here is right, you will thank the rulers of the internet, we are not harming you but saving you.

The riots are underway. It is not a battle over the future of privacy and publicity. It is a battle for choice and informed consent. It's unfolding because people are being raped, tickled, molested, and confused into doing things where they don't understand the consequences. Facebook keeps saying that it gives users choices, but that is completely false. It gives users the illusion of and hides the details away from them "for their own good" while they then make millions off of you. When a service is "free," it really means they're making money off of you and your information.

Think for a while and prepare for a day that will go down in history. November 5 2011, #opfacebook . Engaged.

This is our world now. We exist without nationality, without religious bias. We have the right to not be surveilled, not be stalked, and not be used for profit. We have the right to not live as slaves.

We are anonymous
We are legion
We do not forgive
We do not forget
Expect us

Halima
Sis

Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)

« Reply #28 on: Sep 07, 2011 03:40 AM »

A friend of mine (real friend) posted this on her wall:

WELCOME TO FACEBOOK. The place where people add you as a friend and walk past you in the street. Where relationsh ips are perfect, liars believe they are telling the truth, your enemies visit your profile the most, yet your friends & family block you, and even though you write what you are really thinking, someone always takes it the wrong way and people think your status is about them. Repost if you agree...

And here is another one she posted on August 26:

Dear BOYS...! When a girl adds u on fb it means she wants to b Ur friend not Ur wife... That's y its called a friend request... not a proposal !!!... And when a girl likes Ur status she likes your status..she's not trying to impress u or flirt with u ... When a girl likes Ur picture, that...means she likes Ur picture not *YOU*... Enlarged version of the public service MSG by *GIRLS** Go ahead and make this Ur status GIRLS... let them all know the fact LOLz HAHA

The Almighty Allah says,

blackrose
Sis

Reputation Power: 3
blackrose has no influence :(

« Reply #29 on: Sep 07, 2011 03:52 AM »

Salaam

ok my opinion about facebook is completely different that is why I am still on it.

I personally think that you can see people for who they are which helps you make wiser friend choices.

I think its a perfect tool to make sure the guy or girl your talking to (for marriage) don't do bad stuff because in reality its hard to tell otherwise!

I think its a great place to UNDERSTAND your kids

It is an absolutely great place to invite multiple people for events and inform them of events!

Its a great place to understand one another (statuses)

Its a great place to find out if anything is wrong with anyone in a quick sort of way.

If you are in need of help or alone get the c hat box open and someone maybe able to help you.

You are able to see the babies / spouses of your cousins that are living overseas. You are able to connect with them

You are able to connect with people alot easier

I personally do NOT like the Wall that is why I DONT have one. Everyone can only see my statuses . That is my solution to the privacy that is stretched and the freenemies and competition deal. Also noone can be offended since I dont have a wall at all meaning noone, not even the best friend can see anything. If you wanna say something the private inbox is available. I feel like its none of anyone elses business what id id or what my friend want s to say to me!
Halima
Sis

« Reply #30 on: Sep 08, 2011 04:03 AM »

Hey sis,

Nobody says its all bad and even I who posts the fb weirdness here is still a member with an fb wall. I don't mind about the wall. I get lots of interesting things posted there together with the weird stuff.

Don't worry.

The Almighty Allah says,

WCoastbaba
Bro

WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)

« Reply #31 on: Sep 09, 2011 08:07 AM »

Sis J - I think that is one pet-peeve we have in common, with the whole girl-boy issue. Sadly, I recently rejoined it this summer, after my classmates and one family member were pressuring me, lol. I did want to keep in touch with my med school classmates that I probably won't see for years, if every again to be honest. (Don't worry, I "Liked" the Jannah.org page!). I like Google + better, though I think right now, it's more of a discussion forum with people that you know and don't know in real life. We'll see where it goes.

I think FB is good for keeping in touch with family, friends, or people you meet in life (for example, we had some Italian students here for a year, so able to keep tabs with them as well).

Anyways, it is so much more cluttered than when I was on it last (5 years ago).

Also, I've been able to catch up with my high school classmates (so many weddings and some have or are about to have babies!).

Anyways, my 2 cents.

BABA
 desibro

jannah
Administrator

jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #32 on: Sep 29, 2011 05:18 PM »

lol
WCoastbaba
Bro

« Reply #33 on: Sep 29, 2011 09:41 PM »

LOL, i recently changed, albeit, only briefly my Twitter pic to my actual face and a Brit sister who follows me / I follow was a bit shocked, as I had a Yahoo avatar previously on there (also with little hair) that apparently wasn't so close to my real appearance, hehe.

BABA
 desibro

jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #34 on: Oct 06, 2011 06:48 PM »

It ain't official till it's on facebook!!

jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #35 on: Oct 13, 2011 05:20 PM »

D'oh! perhaps couples should not "friend" each other!!

------------------------------

Man 'attacked wife for not 'liking' Facebook status'

08:30 Mon Oct 10 2011
MSN NZ

A Texas man has been charged with battery after he allegedly attacked his estranged wife because she did not "like" his Facebook update.

Benito Apolinar, of Pecos, was arrested on Tuesday after fighting with Dolores Apolinar at her home in New Mexico, the Carlsbad Current- Argus reports.

Police said Apolinar, 36, posted an update on his Facebook page about the anniversary of his mother's death and became angry after his wife, who he only recently separated from, did not click the "like" button to show she appreciated his comment.

Apolinar was allegedly drunk when he confronted his wife of 15 years at her home while dropping off his children on Tuesday night.

"That's amazing everyone 'likes' my status but you, you're my wife. You should be the first one to 'like' my status," he allegedly told her.

The pair began to fight after Apolinar refused to leave the property, and he allegedly punched his wife in the cheek and pulled her hair.

Apolinar has pleaded not guilty and is due to appear in court on December 22.
JenBean71
Sis

Reputation Power: 0
JenBean71 has no influence :(

« Reply #36 on: Oct 13, 2011 06:03 PM »

salam

Nevermind an 'estranged' couple! The alcohol always fuels the fire to even Facebook Rage.

The unity of all, perceptible to even bystanders, is the Oneness that inspired it, a sea without shores, subject me to this sea.
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #37 on: Nov 10, 2011 05:22 PM »

I think we knew most of this... but still a shock to know again everyone from the CIA to potential employers to advertisers are all using our data covertly...be careful who you friend, what you post, and stay on top of the privacy settings!!

http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2011/11/how-the-cia-uses-social-media-to-track-how-people-feel/247923/
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #38 on: Dec 16, 2011 06:42 PM »

wow peeps... anyone get this rolled out to them yet?? Sounds so completely frightening to me.  Shocked But I think younger ppl are just used to putting their whole life out there on the internet. They're like those ppl the FBI come to and are like 'What's wrong with talking to them and telling them everything, I have nothing to hide!!". lol

Your Life on Facebook, in Total Recall

Remember those karaoke videos from three years ago that somehow wound up on Facebook? They were embarrassing for the few hours they spent at the top of your Facebook profile, and then they were buried under a cascade of new updates.

But on Thursday, Facebook started rolling out a revamped profile feature called Timeline that makes a user’s entire history of photos, links and other things shared on Facebook accessible with a single click. This may be the first moment that many of Facebook’s 800 million members realize just how many digital bread crumbs they have been leaving on the site — and on the Web in general.

For better or worse, the new format is likely to bring back a lot of old memories. But it could also make it harder to shed past identities — something people growing up with Facebook might struggle with as they move from high school to college and from there to the working world.

“There’s no act too small to record on your permanent record,” said Jonathan Zittrain, a law professor at Harvard who studies how the Internet affects society. “All of the mouse droppings that appear as we migrate around the Web will be saved.”

The old Facebook profile page shows the most recent items users have posted, along with things like photos of them posted by others. But Timeline creates a scrapbooklike montage, assembling photos, links and updates for each month and year since they signed up for Facebook.

When Mark Zuckerberg, the founder and chief executive of Facebook, introduced Timeline in September at a developer conference, he described it as a way to get a more comprehensive portrait of someone than by simply reading updates or looking at a profile picture: “We think it’s an important next step to help tell the story of your life.”

Facebook said in a blog post that users could either wait to receive a notification about Timeline on their pages or go to facebook.com/about/timeline to activate it immediately. Eventually all profiles will be switched to the new look, though the company is not saying when. And there will be no switching back.

Some adept users have been able to reach Timeline for weeks using a workaround meant for developers. They said that while the design might be attractive, it was unnerving to realize just how much information they had been feeding into Facebook.

“We’ve all been dropping status updates and photos into a void,” said Ben Werdmuller, the chief technology officer at Latakoo, a video service. “We knew we were sharing this much, of course, but it’s weird to realize they’ve been keeping this information and can serve it up for anyone to see.”

Mr. Werdmuller, who lives in Berkeley, Calif., said the experience of browsing through his social history on Facebook, complete with pictures of old flames, was emotionally evocative — not unlike unearthing an old yearbook or a shoebox filled with photographs and letters.

But while those items would probably live only on a dusty shelf in a closet, these boxes of memories are freely available online for anyone with access to your Facebook page to view.

“It’s unsettling to see the past presented as clearly as the present,” Mr. Werdmuller said. “It’s your life in context, all in one place.”

Several hundred Facebook users shared their initial reactions to Timeline on the company’s blog post. While many appeared to be the kind of denouncements that are generated by any tweak to Facebook’s site, a large percentage welcomed the changes.

“A treat for profile stalkers,” wrote a Facebook user named Mudit Goyal. Another, Joshua Bamberg, said, “If Facebook didn’t change stuff every couple months, we would still be using MySpace.”

And Tatsat Banerjee wrote: “Now our Facebook profile is almost equivalent to a personal Web site. Make no mistake, this is the best update Facebook has ever done till now.”

Analysts say Timeline is a significant evolutionary shift for Facebook. For starters, linking Facebook more closely to memories could make it harder for people to abandon the service for rivals.

To Facebook’s credit, the site lets people edit their life stories and decide which items on their Timelines to hide. And once a switch is made, a user has seven days to review what will be displayed on the page before making it public.

But Nicole B. Ellison, a professor of information studies at Michigan State University who researches how people interact online, said the average Facebook users may not understand how to edit their pages or want to be bothered with it.

“I think for someone who has been on the site for all five of its years,” she said — Facebook opened to the general public in 2006 — “that’s a big undertaking.”

Professor Ellison said the new design could make people’s relationship with Facebook more complex.

“What does it mean to not be able to reinvent yourself after high school, after college?” she said. “Or will people completely go back and edit their histories? And how will that shape the way we view ourselves and our friends?”

Analysts say this is more than just Facebook rethinking a feature or two. The site is trying to help itself to entice advertisers more easily — and to better compete with rivals like Google, said Susan Etlinger, an analyst with the Altimeter Group, a consulting firm that advises companies on how to use technology.

“There is an arms race between technology companies to know as much as possible about the people using their services,” she said.

Timeline is also set up to highlight things like which news articles people are reading, songs they are listening to and recipes they are cooking. Users can choose to have Facebook partners like The Washington Post and the music service Spotify send that information to their Facebook pages. If Facebook could advertise items like concert tickets based on that activity, those ads could be very lucrative.

One of the Facebook designers behind Timeline is Nicholas Felton, who achieved some online fame by publishing detailed annual reports examining and graphing his personal data, such as what he ate and how many miles he traveled. The reports helped him land a job at Facebook. Mr. Felton said there were benefits to seeing one’s behavior compiled in a comprehensive way.

“One year I noticed that I wasn’t going to as many concerts as I could have liked or reading that many books,” he said. “So I was able to modify my behavior around that.”

Mr. Felton said that over time, many Facebook users would come to appreciate Timeline. “Everyone is producing crazy data exhaust these days,” he said. “Showing the value of that data helps move everything forward. It’s pretty exciting and important.”
austmuslimah
Sis

Reputation Power: 10
austmuslimah has no influence :(

« Reply #39 on: Dec 16, 2011 10:32 PM »

The worst is when you go for a job interview, and it goes well, only to have the interviewer look up your FB page and see all the "younger carefree wild stupid days" plastered across the web. No joke, I know of 3 friends who have not gotten jobs after really good interviews because their FB page was showing "undesirable character for a professional job".

This history thing hopefully will make ppl stop and think twice what impression people want to leave of themselves, and hopefully will stop doing the silly things that they may regret later in life.
WCoastbaba
Bro

« Reply #40 on: Dec 17, 2011 12:31 AM »

I deactivated mine several weeks ago, so I won't see the TimeLine until Feb.

I know some others put on their profile through the "Developers" feature and I think I read that it was a gradual thing and that by Thursday, it was going to be available for everyone. Anywhooo, I like Twitter's new layout though! Waaay better than before.

Also, I have a longer "history/timeline" on the Madina and Google + (yes I actually use it, as I find more intellecutal conversation on there with people who are interested in similar things, rather than just people I know who post silly videos (my younger med school classmates for instance!)  than on Facebook, so my timeline will be pretty short!!

As I mentioned earlier, I rejoined just this past summer.

Anyways,  yeah Sis J, people have already put just about everything out there and then there will be new worries about privacy - did you hear how through the flagging picture feature, that Mark Zukerberg's private photo's were exposed??

BABA
 desibro

jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #41 on: Dec 30, 2011 03:40 AM »

Yup

Facebook is Making Us Miserable
http://blogs.hbr.org/cs/2011/12/facebook_is_making_us_miserabl.html#.Tv0gO1Ma6Vg.twitter
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #42 on: Jan 29, 2012 09:19 PM »

Silly, yet cute...  Wink

If Facebook And Twitter Were Real Life
tanimtaher
Bro

Reputation Power: 2
tanimtaher has no influence :(

« Reply #43 on: Jan 29, 2012 09:31 PM »

Haha, oh my God, this video is sooo funny. Guess where I shared it, lol! I think I'll tell my FB friends to put a "Like" note on their LCD screens.
Thanks for sharing.
Hard2Hit
Bro

Reputation Power: 15
Hard2Hit has no influence :(

Taubah

« Reply #44 on: Feb 01, 2012 12:43 PM »

A.A.

Thought this was interesting... However, I have seen many male programmers with extremely messy desktops (irks the bits out of me!)

PSA

The knight doesn't wait when he's ill or has cancer brother, the knight fights on... He finds a strategy, changes tactics, and hits hard.
akhan
Bro

Reputation Power: 107
akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)

« Reply #45 on: Feb 01, 2012 05:33 PM »

that boys's room  tsktsk
my room is far from that mess
Halima
Sis

« Reply #46 on: Feb 08, 2012 03:40 AM »

I am fiercely resisting to succumb to FB Timeline!  I don't how much longer it will take me but - I am resisting.  Too much change, too fast!  Laments, Old ME.

The Almighty Allah says,

jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #47 on: Feb 13, 2012 04:49 PM »

The more time people spend on Facebook, the happier they perceive their friends to be and the sadder they become

Facebook making us sadder ... yet we still can't get off!!  smack

-----------------------
Don’t Tell Me, I Don’t Want to Know

UNLESS you are my best friend or my husband, I don’t need to know the macabre symptoms of your gastrointestinal virus. I don’t need to know about how much candy anyone, other than me, has eaten. As for my ex-boyfriend, I don’t need to hear about his wife’s ability to Zumba.

There are things I’d rather just not know about you.

Yet I, like most people, have become inundated with Too Much Information about the people I know and the people I wish I didn’t know but am now acquainted with. It’s as if we’re all trapped at a permanent reunion with everyone we ever bumped into at a street fair or waved to mistakenly in the cafeteria.

“The entire world has become this Dickensian series in which you are not visited by three ghosts but by eight million ghosts,” said Sloane Crosley, author of “How Did You Get This Number.” “I feel as if I see things about people that I don’t necessarily want to see, and then it’s lodged like a piece of corn in my subconscious.”

Sherry Turkle, a psychologist and author of “Alone Together: Why We Expect More From Technology and Less From Each Other,” spoke of the effects. “People pay a psychological price for seeing information about former friends and spouses and colleagues that they really shouldn’t be seeing,” she said. It’s not good for our emotional health and, she said, “It makes people feel bad because they know they shouldn’t look at this stuff — but they can’t help it!”

A study published last month in the journal Cyberpsychology, Behavior and Social Networking found that the more time people spent on Facebook, the happier they perceived their friends to be and the sadder they felt as a consequence.

What we’re losing, Ms. Turkle said, is a healthy form of compartmentalization. We can no longer box up aspects of our home life when we go to work or tuck away distressing episodes from our past. Never mind ever moving on.

Think of a life without closure: The boy you made a fool of yourself over in high school is now a private-equity king with 400,000 followers. The face of the guy who date-raped you in college pops up as Someone You Might Know.

Whole Article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/12/fashion/tmi-i-dont-want-to-know.html?_r=3&hp=&adxnnl=1&pagewanted=all&adxnnlx=1329151459-rJ2IV1WzDpac34gBwuiWow
theswordofgod

Reputation Power: 0
theswordofgod has no influence :(

« Reply #48 on: Feb 13, 2012 08:04 PM »

i got the boys room with the girls desktop... oldshaykh

Cinders
Sis

Reputation Power: 25
Cinders barely matters :(Cinders barely matters :(

« Reply #49 on: Feb 13, 2012 09:59 PM »

Assalamu Alaiykum,

I've finally done it! I've deleted my Facebook account (sobs... Smiley ). Just thought I'd let you guys know. What am I going to do now without checking status uodates? I guess I'll have to delete the app from my iPhone too.

Insha'Allah my life will be much better & there'll be a whole host of things that will keep me occupied.

Ma'Salam,

Cinders

وَلَسَوْفَ يُعْطِيكَ رَبُّكَ فَتَرْضَىٰ

And soon will your Lord give you so that you shall be well pleased.
Al Qur'an (93:5)
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: