// Small Sunnahs for us to try to Implement!!
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: Why compare yourself with others? No one in the entire world can do a better job of being you than you.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Small Sunnahs for us to try to Implement!!  (Read 3965 times)
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« on: Apr 26, 2010 07:44 AM »

OK here is the first one... saying "Ghufranak" when we exit from the restroom.

Why do we say Ghufranak?  (It means 'Oh Allah forgive me')

Possibly:

1. We could have done something wrong or missed something in our cleansing from the bathroom. So just like we say 'astaghfirullah' 3X's after prayer, we ask Allah to forgive us if we didn't do something properly, forgot something or were neglectful about something. (Not being careful from cleansing from urine for example is mentioned as one of the things for punishment in the Grave!)

2. In the bathroom it is improper to make Dhikr aloud, so perhaps we are asking Allah for forgiveness for this and emphasizing that we are returning to Allah's remembrance.

3. The actual act of being able to go to the restroom is really a blessing. Just ask someone who has constipation/diarrhea. People have died from those even.

4. Removing impurities reminds us that we should be removing our sins and transgressions, so we ask Allah to help us for the other impurities/dhanbs, while we remove the physical.
Christine_1208
Sis

Reputation Power: 1
Christine_1208 has no influence :(

« Reply #1 on: Apr 27, 2010 11:37 PM »

this will sound silly but what is the difference between Ghufranak and Astaghfirullah. It took me a while to be able to even say astaghfirullah. If you can't pronouce Ghufranak can you say astaghrifullah till you can? Sorry guys but I seriously do have an issue with learning languages. Arabic is killing me. May Allah help me.

I believe in Islam like the sun rising, not because I see it but because by it, I see everything else.
jannah
Administrator

jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #2 on: Apr 28, 2010 08:12 AM »

I think Arabic was doubly hard for me to memorize or learn when I didn't know any sort of basics of the language at all. Learning even just a little bit of basics makes everything SO much easier. Look for a basic Arabic class or ask ur husband to teach you1!!!!

Ghufraanak literally means: Ghufraan =Forgiveness +  k= at the end means 'your' so this really means Your forgiveness - meaning ur asking Allah for his forgiveness

Astaghfirullah literally means Asta = I seek ghfir = same root as above for forgiveness but means more like I repent + Allah which means I repent (to) Allah/ I seek forgiveness (from) Allah

Allahu alam just different ways of saying things

Once you learn like some basics everything comes together and makes it even more amazing. Trust me@!!!  madinaflag
se7en
Sis

Reputation Power: 11
se7en has no influence :(

« Reply #3 on: Apr 28, 2010 09:53 AM »

as salaamu alaykum,

What's great about these duaas and forms of dhikr is that they don't have to be in Arabic and can be said in English (or German... or French.. or Urdu... I think you get the idea Smiley)).  It's only the actual salah that we perform five times a day that *has* to be said in Arabic.  

I'm sure there's benefit in saying these words in the original language, in the exact phrases said by the Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him), because of the dimensions to the language and nuances inthe word choice, and in the extra blessings that come in following him as exactly as possible... but as I heard one scholar say, 'It's the language of the heart that is the most important."  heart

salaam,
7 Smiley

BTW really like the idea for this thread and hope to read more inshaAllah Smiley

Jaihoon
Jaihoon
Bro

Reputation Power: 21
Jaihoon barely matters :(Jaihoon barely matters :(

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2010 08:49 AM »

Masha Allah. How beautiful an initiative

Ok, here's some left right sunnahs for your feet

1. Wearing shoes (with and without heels  Wink )
Right when wearing, left while removing

2. Toilet
Left when entering, right while exit

3. Masjid
Right when entering, left while exit

4. Home
Right when entering, left while exit

(Amazing to note that it is the same pattern for the home and masjid.)

sallallahu alaihi wa sallam

Sarah Amena
Sis

Sarah Amena has no influence :(

« Reply #5 on: Jun 07, 2010 04:06 AM »

MashAllah ~ Wonderful topic and I already learned a whole bunch! Madina totally rocks! My new favorite website!  Cheesy Cheesy  Please sisters & brothers, offer more of your knowledge  Tongue
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #6 on: Jun 07, 2010 05:48 AM »

Another small sunnah:

saying the shahadah after performing wudu

أَشْهَدُ أَنْ لا إِلَهَ إِلاَّ اللَّهُ وَحْدَهُ لا شَرِيكَ لَهُ وَأَشْهَدُ أَنَّ مُحَمَّدًا عَبْدُهُ وَرَسُولُهُ

I testify that there is No God but Allah, alone without partners, and that Muhammad is His servant and Messenger.

This is based on these two hadith from Sahih Muslim

The Book of Purification (Kitab Al-Taharah)
    Muslim :: Book 2 : Hadith 451

‘Uqba b. ‘Amir reported: We were entrusted with the task of tending the camels. On my turn when I came back in the evening after grazing them in the pastures, I found Allah’s Messenger (may peace be upon him) stand and address the people. I heard these words of his: If any Muslim performs ablution well, then stands and prays two rak’ahs setting about them with his heart as well as his face, Paradise would be guaranteed to him. I said: What a fine thing is this! And a narrator who was before me said: The first was better than even this. When I cast a glance, I saw that it was ‘Umair who said: I see that you have just come and observed: If anyone amongst you performs the ablution, and then completes the ablution well and then says: I testify that there is no god but Allah and that Muhammad is the servant of Allah and His Messenger, the eight gates of Paradise would be opened for him and he may enter by whichever of them he wishes.

The Book of Purification (Kitab Al-Taharah)
    Muslim :: Book 2 : Hadith 452

Uqba b. ‘Amir al-Juhani reported: Verily the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) said and then narrated (the hadith) like one (mentioned above) except (this) that he said: He who performed ablution and said: I testify that there is no god but Allah, the One, there is no associate with Him and I testify that Muhammad is His servant and His Messenger.
Jaihoon
Jaihoon
Bro

Reputation Power: 21
Jaihoon barely matters :(Jaihoon barely matters :(

« Reply #7 on: Jun 07, 2010 05:54 AM »

Doing household chores : washing, fixing one's own clothes, sweeping

sana24
Sis

Reputation Power: 0
sana24 has no influence :(

« Reply #8 on: Jun 10, 2010 03:59 PM »

SMILING!!!!
 Smiley  Smiley  Smiley  Smiley  Smiley

and also saying salaam when we see a muslim in the street/public that we don't know!
(I heard its sunnah to say salaam, but ferz/fard to say it back)
(an easy one to implement but sometimes hard cause you can feel shy!)
Christine_1208
Sis

« Reply #9 on: Jun 16, 2010 11:21 PM »

I have been doing alot of reading on sunnah's. I found some small ones I want to share. Not sure if there is such a thing as a weak sunnah.. maybe a weak source, still learning. May Allah forgive me but does some of the sunnah's seem superstitions? How do we know which to follow, I get so confused on this, that I have not been following any just Quran.

When the eyes open in the morning recite this dua:
All praise is due to Allah who brought us to life after having granted us death and to Him will we be resurrected. (Bukhari, Abu Dawood, Muslim)

Remove the shoes while eating. ( Mishkaat)

Clean the plate and other eating utensils thoroughly after eating. The utensils will then make
dua for one’s forgiveness. (Ibne Majah)

To lick the fingers after eating. (Muslim)

Sit and drink. It is forbidden to drink while standing. (Muslim)

Drink with the right hand since Shaytaan drinks with the left hand. (Muslim)

I believe in Islam like the sun rising, not because I see it but because by it, I see everything else.
womack
Bro

womack has no influence :(

b/w Fear and Love of Allah [swt]

« Reply #10 on: Jun 18, 2010 12:59 AM »

bisms
assalamualaikum

I would also like to add something Regarding Implementing Small Sunnah in our life.

1 . Cleaning The Plates.
حَدَّثَنَا أَبُو بَكْرِ بْنُ أَبِي شَيْبَةَ ، حَدَّثَنَا يَزِيدُ بْنُ هَارُونَ ، أَخْبَرَنَا أَبُو الْيَمَانِ الْبَرَّاءُ ، قَالَ : حَدَّثَتْنِي جَدَّتِي أُمُّ عَاصِمٍ ، قَالَتْ : دَخَلَ عَلَيْنَا نُبَيْشَةُ ، مَوْلَى رَسُولِ اللهِ صَلَّى الله عَليْهِ وسَلَّمَ ، وَنَحْنُ نَأْكُلُ فِي قَصْعَةٍ ، فَقَالَ : قَالَ النَّبِيُّ صَلَّى الله عَليْهِ وسَلَّمَ : مَنْ أَكَلَ فِي قَصْعَةٍ ، فَلَحِسَهَا ، اسْتَغْفَرَتْ لَهُ الْقَصْعَةُ. ابن ماجه ـ كتاب الاطعمة ـ باب التنقية الصحفة
Abu bakr Bin Abi Shaiba, Yazeed bin harun , abu uleman albara and umme asim  narrates  that the servant of Prophet saw Nabeesha came to us. We were eating in a cup.He said the Prophet saw said One who eat in a cup he should clean it by licking because then the cup do Astaghfar(Forgiveness) for him.
( Sunan Ibn Majah - Kitabul At'emah - Ch Tanqiyates Sahfa. Hadith No 1060)

2. What should say after Eating?.
حَدَّثَنَا أَبُو بَكْرِ بْنُ أَبِي شَيْبَةَ ، حَدَّثَنَا أَبُو خَالِدٍ الأَحْمَرُ ، عَنْ حَجَّاجٍ ، عَنْ رِيَاحِ بْنِ عَبِيدَةَ ، عَنْ مَوْلًى لأَبِي سَعِيدٍ ، عَنْ أَبِي سَعِيدٍ ، قَالَ : كَانَ النَّبِيُّ صَلَّى الله عَليْهِ وسَلَّمَ : إِذَا أَكَلَ طَعَامًا قَالَ : الْحَمْدُ لِلَّهِ الَّذِي أَطْعَمَنَا ، وَسَقَانَا وَجَعَلَنَا مُسْلِمِينَ۔ ابن ماجه ـ كتاب الاطعمة ـ باب التنقية الصحفة
It is narrated from Abu bakr Ibne Abi Sheeba , AbU Khalid Al Ahmar , hajjaj , Riyah bin Ubaida , abu saeed that  When Prophet saw finished meal then would say :
الْحَمْدُ لِلَّهِ الَّذِي أَطْعَمَنَا ، وَسَقَانَا وَجَعَلَنَا مُسْلِمِينَ

(Ibne Majah - Kitaabul At'emah - Ch.Tanqiyates Sahfa. Hadith No 1072)

قال رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم:إذا دخل شهر رمضان فتحت أبواب السماء، وغلقت أبواب جهنم، وسلسلت الشياطين: البخارى:3103
womack
Bro

« Reply #11 on: Jun 18, 2010 02:46 AM »

بسم اللہ الرحمٰن الرحیم
3. What should say when one woke up at night?
عَنْ حُذَيْفَةَ قَالَ : كَانَ رَسُولُ اللهِ صَلَّى الله عَليْهِ وسَلَّمَ إِذَا انْتَبَهَ مِنَ اللَّيْلِ قَالَ : الْحَمْدُ لِلَّهِ الَّذِي أَحْيَانَا بَعْدَ مَا أَمَاتَنَا ، وَإِلَيْهِ النُّشُورُ ۔  ابن ماجه ـ كتاب الدعآ ـ بَابُ مَا يَدْعُو بِهِ إِذَا انْتَبَهَ مِنَ اللَّيْلِ
Narrated From Huzaifa radiahu That When Prophet saw woke up at night he would say :

الْحَمْدُ لِلَّهِ الَّذِي أَحْيَانَا بَعْدَ مَا أَمَاتَنَا ، وَإِلَيْهِ النُّشُور
(Ibne Majah - Kitaabu Dua - Hadith No 1676)

قال رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم:إذا دخل شهر رمضان فتحت أبواب السماء، وغلقت أبواب جهنم، وسلسلت الشياطين: البخارى:3103
Christine_1208
Sis

« Reply #12 on: Jun 18, 2010 09:41 PM »

Thanks womac do you have the translation for this  Huh? ... Can't read Arabic. I will look online see what I can find. I used to have a book but I gave it to a another revert.

womack
Bro

« Reply #13 on: Jun 25, 2010 11:15 AM »

بسم اللہ الرحمٰن الرحیم

السلام علیکم ورحمۃ اللہ وبرکاۃ

Hi christine its strange you cant read arabic? come on your first job after accepting Islam is to recite arabic , go online and practise read arabic n get urself familiar with arabic alphabets and their moves.
Inshallah Allah swt will make your task easy.  ameensmiley.
Well it means that you cannot still recite Quran ? Right. Hurry up  beat
When Prophet saw woke up at night Prophet saw would say
"Praise be to God who gave us life after death(means sleep) and to him is return"
الْحَمْدُ لِلَّهِ الَّذِي أَحْيَانَا بَعْدَ مَا أَمَاتَنَا ، وَإِلَيْهِ النُّشُورُ

" Alhamdulil lahil laze الْحَمْدُ لِلَّهِ الَّذِي   ahyana ba'da أَحْيَانَا بَعْدَ   ma ama'tana مَا أَمَاتَنَا   wa ilaihin nushoor وَإِلَيْهِ النُّشُورُ.
I hope You would abe able to Understand Now.

woohoo    happyday

jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #14 on: Jun 25, 2010 11:24 AM »

salam,

hey womack how long did it take you to learn arabic? for most of us it took a number of years, even if you started learning your alif bas at a young age. so let's give the sistah some slack Smiley

ws
womack
Bro

« Reply #15 on: Jun 25, 2010 11:54 AM »

bisms
he Jannah Siis who says I learnt Arabic Language Hehehe Cheesy. You are right i am talkin about the same learning which we did in our young age Alif ba Ta ..  .But As a i am lover of Arabic language because of Arabic Calligraphy. I Love Arabic Arabic Calligraphy thatwhy you see i usually add arabic text in my post.
I bought a arabic learning book and also chat with arab friends and it gave me much awareness about Arabic Grammar.I can say i got the technique to make a sentence but i need much vocabulary of words.
In arabic the verb comes first then the Subject and the object.
The peak of learning is that when you have the arabic sentence infront of you without moves and you can read if you did it then you succeed.Which i cannot yet.Because there will be one word but it can be pronounce in 2 types becuase of moves e.g اَكَلْتَ  "you eat" ....اَكَلْتُ "i eat" ... if you see the letter are same but the moves make a difference .Now if this word comes to you without moves then it takes time to judge.

Well infact i am learning arabic but still more to do but i have familiar my self with grammar.Infact my national language is urdu so thtswhy urdu as you know its most alphabets are from Arabic and urdu is written in arabic script so it has pls point to me.Inshort Urdu is derived from Arabic.
But i was telling  that even when we were child arabic was also alien to us .We started from root i.e alif . ba ta. and moves different kind . Fataha, Damma etc.

womack
Bro

« Reply #16 on: Jun 25, 2010 12:05 PM »

bisms

hey Jannah Sis are you Qualified in Arabic? Shocked.I Guess you might have a vast circle of Arab colleague.
 congratulations

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: