// Pakistan shuts down Facebook over 'Draw Mohammed Day'
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: Calmness: The Prophet said: 'Calmness and determination is from Allah and haste is from Satan.' (Sunan At-Tirmidhî)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pakistan shuts down Facebook over 'Draw Mohammed Day'  (Read 1780 times)
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« on: May 19, 2010 11:43 PM »

Pakistan shuts down Facebook over 'Draw Mohammed Day'
By Richard Allen Greene, CNN
May 19, 2010 3:57 p.m. EDT
Pakistan is blocking access to Facebook in response to the online group "Everybody Draw Mohammed Day."
Pakistan is blocking access to Facebook in response to the online group "Everybody Draw Mohammed Day."
STORY HIGHLIGHTS

* NEW: "Bullying ... will not be tolerated in a free country," group founder says
    * NEW: Council on Islamic-American Relations calls idea offensive
    * Ban prompted by calls for users to draw pictures of the Prophet Mohammed
    * "Draw Mohammed Day" was being organized by online group

(CNN) -- Pakistan is blocking access to Facebook in response to an online group calling on people to draw the Prophet Mohammed, officials said Wednesday.

The Pakistan Telecommunication Authority issued the order a day before "Everybody Draw Mohammed Day," scheduled by a Facebook group with the same name.

"Obviously (the blocking of Facebook) is related to the objectionable material that was placed on Facebook. That is why it is blocked," said Khoram Ali Mehran of the telecommunication authority.

"We have blocked it for an indefinite amount of time. We are just following the government's instructions and the ruling of the Lahore High Court. If the government decides to unblock it, then that's what we will do," he said.

The organization has not received any complaints from internet users about the Facebook group, he said.

Devout Muslims consider it offensive to depict Mohammed.

There were riots around the world in response to a series of cartoons of Mohammed in a Danish newspaper in 2005, and at least two European cartoonists live under police protection after publication of their drawings of the Muslim prophet.

Mimi Sulpovar, who started the Facebook group, said she read about the idea on a blog after Comedy Central bleeped out part of an episode of "South Park" that mentioned the prophet.

"This is meant to be in protest," she said.

"This is something I have felt strongly about for a long time: Bullying by certain Muslim groups will not be tolerated in a free country," said Sulpovar, who is American.

But Ibrahim Hooper, a spokesman for the Council on American-Islamic Relations, said the idea behind the group was offensive.

"Islam discourages any visual representations of the prophets of God -- Jesus, Moses, Mohammed, anybody -- because we believe it can lead to a form of idol worship," he said.

"The majority of Muslims worldwide object to any representation of a prophet of God," he said.

The idea of "Draw Mohammad Day" originated with a cartoonist who has since distanced herself from the idea, Sulpovar and Hooper said.

"The whole campaign has been taken up by Muslim-bashers and Islamophobes," Hooper said.

But Sulpovar denied being anti-Muslim.

"This extends beyond being able to draw Mohammad," she said. "If it's offensive to you, that's fine, but I don't feel it's right to impose your belief on others through intimidation.

"This is nothing to do with hate or bigotry," she said. "Nobody is inciting violence or preaching open hatred towards individuals."

Sulpovar said she is not a Muslim but added that she had received "hundreds of e-mails from people trying to explain this to me."

One group member said she saw anger and fear on both sides of the controversy but felt that free speech could not be compromised.

"This is a hot-topic debate, but so is abortion, illegal immigrants, gay marriage and politics. If we allow even a small compromise for one group, then the free speech on topics like abortion, illegal immigrants and politics can also be censored based on accusations that they cause violence or hate," Autumn Meadows said on CNN's iReport.

"Hate speech is wanting a group eradicated, physically harmed or dead. I dont think drawing Mohammed falls under that category," she said.

"Islam is not above criticism or cartoons. I believe in equality, and censoring Mohammed while we can draw every other figure in the world does not equal equality," she concluded.

Sulpovar said Pakistan's decision to block Facebook was "ridiculous."

Facebook is investigating the block, said Debbie Frost, the company's director of global communications.

Sulpovar's group and a similar one had attracted about 7,000 fans between them Wednesday. Groups opposing the idea had about 68,000.
jannah
Administrator

jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010 11:51 PM »

Salam,

Thought we could continue the discussion in this thread. The problem with this ban is that it's reactionary/emotional and just plain will make no difference whatsoever. And is actually *more harmful* than the original harm this group was trying to make. As usual stupid Muslims fall into the trap, they froth at the mouth, go crazy, no doubt will riot and kill over this "offense to their beloved Muhammad (s)". Remember Salman Rushdie? Remember the Dutch cartoons? yeah now look at this, SAME exact thing and Muslims make the same exact mistakes over and over again. Reactionary/emotion and then they do things to make themselves "feel better". Leaving Facebook for a day, joining an anti-group, adding a picture, censoring, makes someone feel better. That's all it is.

10 ppl leaving temporarily or even a thousand is going to do nothing. FACEBOOK HAS 500 MILLION USERS! Fb's business model is not the same as other websites.They are not just about "advertising". They have partnerships through games and apps and search terms and other websites that are worth billions. And what exactly does fb have to do with anything? Anyone can come and create a group and advertise and advocate something on here. Where's the reaction about groups like "FCUK Islam" or "All Muslims are terrorists". Muslims are so emotional as usual. Why doesn't Pakistan organize a "celebrate Muhammad's legacy week" instead of banning facebook?

If we are talking strategy there are much better strategies to counter anti-Muslim bias and hate. one's that have shown to actually make an impact instead of create more hate. The first is to stop being reactionary and emotional towards these stupid groups/events. The second is a concerted effort by scholars and the average person to promote the honor of muhammad (s), being pro-active and teaching others about islam. let's work on that instead of 'yelling slogans and turning off fb for a day'.

WCoastbaba
Bro

Reputation Power: 51
WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010 08:18 AM »

Salaam - Here is the video response that I mentioned in the other thread:

The Believers, men and women, are protectors one of another:  [9:71]
Hard2Hit
Bro

Reputation Power: 15
Hard2Hit has no influence :(

Taubah

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010 12:09 PM »

Salaams,

Thought we could continue the discussion in this thread. The problem with this ban is that it's reactionary/emotional and just plain will make no difference whatsoever. And is actually *more harmful* than the original harm this group was trying to make. As usual stupid Muslims fall into the trap, they froth at the mouth, go crazy, no doubt will riot and kill over this "offense to their beloved Muhammad (s)". Remember Salman Rushdie? Remember the Dutch cartoons? yeah now look at this, SAME exact thing and Muslims make the same exact mistakes over and over again. Reactionary/emotion and then they do things to make themselves "feel better". Leaving Facebook for a day, joining an anti-group, adding a picture, censoring, makes someone feel better. That's all it is.

Aren’t we mixing things up here? The original topic was ‘only’ about PTA in Pakistan temporarily blocking FB as a silent protest. Can we please stick to that topic first, and when we are done discussing that, we can move on to discuss the protests in the Muslim world at the showing of Dutch cartoons etc, which is when I’ll tell you that I’m personally against those bloody riots and violent forms of protests.

So, would we be able to take things one at a time here?

Yes?

Thank you!

So this temporary blocking by Pakistani authorities is a very sensible move. It will be there in top news and would make non-muslims think that us moslems respect our Final Prophet peace be upon him more than our parents even.

By and large christians are perfectly fine with Jesus jokes and showing Eesa alaehi-as-salam in varous derogatory cartoons. But its not the same with us Muslims, we utterly respect Muhammad peace and blessings be upon Him. And such blocking and silent civilized online protests would stand out, and would urge people to think differently of Muslims, our Prophet and Islam in general.

As Muslim we are deeply saddened and highly offended by such violent behavior of non-muslims. Speaking against it, or symbolic boycotts are just a natural way to express our sorrow. Why are you being so apologetic about it? I mean its only natural. Period.

A state is responsible for so many things. Do you recall Omar ibn-al-khattab’s saying that goes something like “even if a dog would die of hunger under my rule, I would be responsible for it”. And remember why Muhammad bin Qasim brought Islamic forces to Sindh ? I’m not trying to support any violent action here, just trying to make the readers realize that our Salaf were very very careful about what went under their rule. So if a Muslim state tries to temporarily ban a God-Damn page and in return has to ban FB since page’s Url and all the generated links against its activity can not be blocked, whats so wrong about it?

10 ppl leaving temporarily or even a thousand is going to do nothing. FACEBOOK HAS 500 MILLION USERS! Fb's business model is not the same as other websites.They are not just about "advertising". They have partnerships through games and apps and search terms and other websites that are worth billions. And what exactly does fb have to do with anything? Anyone can come and create a group and advertise and advocate something on here. Where's the reaction about groups like "FCUK Islam" or "All Muslims are terrorists". Muslims are so emotional as usual. Why doesn't Pakistan organize a "celebrate Muhammad's legacy week" instead of banning facebook?

Its not about giving a blow to FB’s business. Its about registering a protest and making them realize that they should have taken into account all the reports against that page.

As I said earlier, I don’t blame it on FB but on the violent group which is behind that page. And the reason of blocking FB is because they wanted to block that page and the links it generates due to any activity on it, since they couldn’t do the latter, they blocked FB ‘temporarily’. Whats the big deal? It’s a perfect move…

As for banning FB due to other groups and pages… well, its all about awareness. A huge majority of Muslims and non-hating non-muslims too would have already reported those pages to FB admins. If some country decides to block any other pages/groups or FB altogether, just to register their protest then I would be all for it. I mean why not?

And why their organizing a 'Celebration of Muhammad(s)'s legacy' week, should have anything to do with this FB event, when you yourself say the event should be ignored?

Temporarily blocking them is like a silent protest, and an act of solidarity with Muhammad sallahu alaehi wassalam. The blocking can go on in parallel to reminding the masses of the Nobel life of The Final Prophet peace be upon him, the two acts aren’t mutually exclusive or are they?

Remember the story of Ibraham alaeh-as-salam when He was put into fire and according to some narrations a bird/sparrow tried to save Him in her capacity, and took drops of water in her beak and dropped them as close to the fire as she could?...  Now some of you might have issues with that narration yet my only point is that there have been a plethora of instances of Prophets and their companions where those who are on righteous path did whatever they can to show their support for the Messenger/Prophet of that time/era. I believe its part of our path to detest evil in our hearts and speak against it, or when we have the authority (which a ‘country’ always has) then act against that evil. Hence this action of blocking is the most sensible and civilized thing to do.

If we are talking strategy there are much better strategies to counter anti-Muslim bias and hate. one's that have shown to actually make an impact instead of create more hate. The first is to stop being reactionary and emotional towards these stupid groups/events. The second is a concerted effort by scholars and the average person to promote the honor of muhammad (s), being pro-active and teaching others about islam. let's work on that instead of 'yelling slogans and turning off fb for a day'.

The former part of this quote is moot in context of our current topic. The action doesn’t instigate hate, that being said, some racists would always hate… even your hijab and my beard would make them hate islam and moslems. There is a limit to tolerance, you just can not tolerate hate and utter disrespect for your parents or supreme religious figures like Muhammad sallahu alaehi wassalam.

All that ‘Promoting the Muhammad s.a.a.w’s Legacy’ and reminding the masses of the Nobel life of The Final Prophet peace be upon him, can go on in parallel to registering protest against FB Page. These actions are not mutually exclusive. And the clock for promoting Muhammad s.a.a.w’s teaching has not started ticking after this FB event…

Wasalam.

The knight doesn't wait when he's ill or has cancer brother, the knight fights on... He finds a strategy, changes tactics, and hits hard.
syid
Bro

Reputation Power: 0
syid has no influence :(

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010 04:34 PM »

as-salaamu-alaikum,  thank you Hard2Hit for your words, if we (muslims, islamic gov'ts) keep on not saying or doing anything (and I don't mean hurting someone) when things are being said or done that goes against the things that we as muslims say we hold dear no telling what small things can snowball into (like they already have). I perfer to see them take this stand than not to take a stand at all. (Allah know's best)     

LIVE YOUR LIFE FOR THE SAKE OF ALLAH:
IF IT'S NOT FOR THE SAKE OF ALLAH IS IT EVEN WORTH DOING?
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010 12:30 AM »

salam

I think it's a really good idea actually, its not reactionary or emotional.

The government is registering its disapproval, we are not being rude or insulting or hysterical, they're making a salient point, and showing the owners of f/b that they will lose millions of users if there is a next time, because altho this is a temporary ban, they could quite easily make it a permanent one! It's not an empty gesture, it has power of numbers......

Waxing lyrical about how we're all about peace, and doing a celebrating Islam/Mohammad (saw), or whatever day is just engaging with people who aren't really worth engaging as they dont want to know, they're not willing to listen, the best way to make a point is to turn them off. You can draw what you like but it may as well be your self portraits for all the notice we will take.
These kind of people want to upset us, want us to engage so they can go see they're hysterical terrorists hell bent on taking away our freedom of speech or crappy drawings or whatever. Switching them off loses them their audience....

Incidentally I've a friend who's currently working in Japan, f/b is banned there!!!!

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
lucid
Bro

lucid has no influence :(

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2010 07:45 AM »

good for pakistan!

frankly, everybody should ban facebook.  maybe that way students would actually get their face in real book.

facebook in the developing world is a total tool for perverted deshi guys stalking girls.  its really quite disturbing and particularly because a lot of nice guys in real life are total perverts when on facebook.

DinoS
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2010 08:53 AM »

Molly Norris has defended herself about the allegation that she was the one who started this controversial  everybody draw Mohammad day. This matter is a hot debate on social networking, Facebook site. Many members supported the page. So, the Pakistan decided to blocked the site to stop accessing this offending page. Whether this issue is offensive or not, still, people have the right to express their views. It doesn't matter whether it's good or bad, what's more important is that we know what and how individuals respond to this issue, and that's my realization concerning to this.
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2010 12:01 PM »

salams,

I would like to write an in-depth post on this issue exploring the various sides and strategies we could use. But no time right now ;( InshaAllah soon. Y'all can discuss amongst urselves and give me some ideas to write about!

ws
Fozia
Sis

Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2010 12:36 PM »

salam

You know what it really is, the concept of sacrilege is lost on people, most people in the west hold nothing sacred (except money), so they feel our reverence and love of an unlettered man of the desert is ridiculous, because they have nothing equivalent, they are completely unable to empathise. The concept is utterly alien to them.

So they make fun of us trying to get a rise so they can go seee they're terrorists and savages and their beliefs should be held in similar contempt.

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
tq
Sis

Reputation Power: 18
tq has no influence :(

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2010 02:06 PM »

Assalamo elikuim
Here another related article

http://propakistani.pk/2010/05/23/one-facebook-two-faces-one-is-real-ugly/

By Saad Mustafa Warraich, Karachi – Pakistan

I had been banned from Facebook and my account had been disabled a night before Facebook was banned in Pakistan. Before all this happened, I visited the blasphemous page “Draw Muhammad Day” and the content on the page hurt me badly.

Once again a certain group of westerners called it the “freedom of expression” and went on to show extremism – something they always verbally disassociate themselves from.

As a response to this lunacy, I thought it best to find out how they respond to others’ right of freedom of expression – I created an Adolf Hitler page right away and it read, “To all those who think they can ridicule Islam in the name of freedom of expression and yet punish those who speak of the genius of Hitler”.

The comment on the wall read, “Let’s hit them where it hurts them the most”. Further I added some photos of the Fuhrer, Nazi Party and the Italian Footballer Paolo Di Canio who was banned and fined by FIFA two years ago for performing the “controversial” Roman Salute which according to him gave him a sense of belonging to his people.

Within an hour tens of people joined the Hitler page which was named “H | T L E R”. The very next time I tried to log in I found out that my profile had been disabled for ‘violation of Facebook Regulations’.

Click on image to enlarge

Facebook’s reply for my inquiry was as following (also shown in above screenshot):

Hi Saad,

After reviewing your situation, we have determined that your violated our Statement of Rights and Responsibilities. One of Facebook’s main priorities is the comfort and safety of our users.

We do not tolerate hate speech. Targeting people based on their race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, or disease is a serious violation of our standards and has resulted in the permanent loss of your account.

We will not be able to reactivate your account for any reason.  This decision is final.

Kimmie
User Operations,
Facebook

Now how is it that Hitler is termed as the most evil person in the history of mankind while those that bomb Muslims, commit heinous crimes in their countries, ridicule their Prophet and Quran and as a result hurt the sentiments of 1.2 billion Muslims are hailed as heroes? And I wonder why the victims of Holocaust are more important than victims of Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

Despite the protest of a large number of Muslims, Facebook has not removed the blasphemous page from the website.

According the statement issued by Facebook their policy is to withhold such content in countries where it is controversial. The statement specifically says that we do not remove Nazi content from Facebook because it is illegal only in a few countries. As two-faced statements go, this one takes the prize. Perhaps before issuing the statement the Facebook did not realise that words like “Adolf Hitler”, “Sieg Heil” and “Nazi” are not allowed to be used on Facebook to create new pages.

And if all this and the removal of Hitler page and the permanent deactivation of my profile isn’t enough, here is a testament to Facebook’s vile hypocrisy. The statement issued by Facebook on 20 May says, “We strongly believe that Facebook users have the freedom to express their opinions, and we don’t typically take down content, groups or pages that speak out against countries, religions, political entities, or ideas.”

While, in another instance, Facebook replied me in entirely different way. Excerpt and screenshot is given above.

Now these two conflicting statements speak volumes about the discrimination by the Facebook. It simply means that Facebook through its official statement to global media wants the world to believe that they are the torchbearers of freedom of expression and allow everyone to speak their minds out. On the other hand the face that individuals like me get to see is a much horrible one. It talks about hate and intolerance and all forms of so-called equality and unshakable resolve. While Facebook is portraying itself as the silent and innocent onlooker for the entire world, I wonder what gives them the right to remove a major chunk of my life from the web.

I don’t think Facebook should come up with any clarification statements for the Muslim world over what happened. It is clearer than crystal that as long as we are labelled as extremists, we are not going to enjoy the equal rights in this world. And those that are trying to play God love to label us that. While reporting the Facebook ban in Pakistan in different articles, guardian.co.uk mentions the brutality of Pakistan Army in Swat while Yahoo thinks it’s necessary to unveil Al-Qaida’s plans of attacks on Danish and Dutch football teams. It is a blatant attempt to criticize Pakistan for placing the ban, link the country to extremism and terrorism and thereby justifying this sacrilegious act of Facebook users.

Disclaimer: This article is produced to examine the equality of “Freedom of Expression” for multiple group of religions in the world, and how one organization sees it. ProPakistani doesn’t support hatred content against any religion, race or any other specific group of people based on any ideology
Fozia
Sis

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2010 01:12 PM »

salam

Apparently it's not just Pakistan, my Bengali friend said Bangladesh has also banned facebook!!!!

Wassalaam

lucid
Bro

lucid has no influence :(

« Reply #12 on: Jun 01, 2010 06:38 PM »

its banned in bangladesh because some folks posted insulting cartoons of various politicians including the prime minister.

absolutely hilarious!

http://www.thedailystar.net/newDesign/latest_news.php?nid=24021
anisa
Sis

Reputation Power: 0
anisa has no influence :(

« Reply #13 on: Jun 04, 2010 01:46 PM »

Assalamu alaikum,
We should  raise our voice against this evil. Apart from this, this social networking site is a threat for muslim society

I, myself, was a member of face book a few months
back. But, I thought I was wasting my time in the name of keeping tie of friendship of those who have gone abroad for higher studies. I will try to sum up the factors which have influenced me to get out this (of
course from Islamic perspective), Alhamdulillah. May be , we should not become a member in the first place, but the followings are worth mentioning.

I saw many Muslim brother & sisters giving their own photo in their profile. Some uploaded their family picture (husband & wife posing together). It is ridiculous to find the logic behind this. My wife
talked to one of the sisters who gave her photo with her husband in her profile. Putting pictures open to public for sharing is not wrong for that sister as she thinks being hijab will make everything halal. I
regret for those brothers and Sisters and ask for Allah’s forgiveness and help for them to understand. For, it is unanimously agreed that pictures are not for public display let alone pictures of married couple
(whether it is in Hijab or not).

Keeping those Muslims by name out of consideration, I still found some Muslim brothers and sisters (who call themselves practicing Muslims) who have a large list of musical bands, pop stars in
their preferred music section of profile. Some have gone to the extent of being fond of different so called innocent movies and film stars. I don’t know what their understandings about Islam are and ask Allah to
grant them understandings.
 Apart from this, browsing over numerous profiles over face book let the Muslim brothers open to photos of other women without hijab let alone the pictures of almost naked film stars in different
profiles.

But yet we spend time there in the name of sociality and we don’t even know that we are successfully trapped by the force of Kuffar. May Allah forgive us all and grant us understanding of Islam.

Ruling on entering chat rooms on the Internet for fun

fatwa relevant to the issue:

(Link: http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/98793/wasting%20time)
Praise be to Allaah.
One of the things that the Muslim should do is discipline himself and seek to adopt the best of attitudes and etiquette. This requires a great deal of striving against bad inclinations and it needs a lot of patience. The most important thing that can help him to do that is avoiding places of evil and places that could lead to his doom. The scholars of personal development are unanimously agreed that man is inherently weak and inclined towards evil, and that it is the mind (or reason) that could controls his attitude and inclinations, and guide his energies. So if reason does not restrain one’s inclinations towards following whims and desires, then he will soon find no means to turn back to the path of salvation.
The same applies to gatherings of leisure and entertainment. They have always been – and still are, as they appear on the internet – a waste of energy and talent, where followers of falsehood who have no mission to work or succeed in their lives gather, and they waste their time and their lives which are the most precious things they own, and they spend their days exchanging gossip, and they waste a lot of time and do not achieve anything for their worldly or religious interests. 
When the Muslim has the blessing of free time with which Allaah has honoured him, he can do no more than look for the best deeds with which to fill his time, not just any good deed. Hence you see that the Sahaabah (may Allaah be pleased with them) asked the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) in many ahaadeeth about the best actions by means of which they could attain a higher status before Allaah, and the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) answered their questions.
The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “There are two blessings which many people do not make the best of: good health and free time.” Narrated by al-Bukhaari (6412).
Ibn al-Qayyim (may Allaah have mercy on him) said, speaking of regret about time:
Regret for wasted time should be deep, for time passes quickly and it is difficult to make up what you have missed. 
Time for the worshipper is a time for worship and reciting awraad, and for the devoted Muslim it is time for turning to Allaah and focusing on Him with all his heart.
Time is the dearest thing to him and he would feel very sad if time passes without him doing what he is meant to do. If he misses time, he can never make it up, because a second time has its own duties. So if he misses time, there is no way he can bring it back.
Madaarij al-Saalikeen (3/49).
The most important things that will help you make the most of your time is to avoid futile gatherings and refrain from talking too much and keep away from lazy and idle people, and to keep company with those who are striving hard, clever, smart and aware of time, and those ho immerse themselves in reading for the purpose of increasing their knowledge.
The wise man is the one who is guided to fill his time with useful, beneficial and good deeds; thus he will advance and rise in status. So you will find him always seeking knowledge, or writing lessons, or learning a skill, or visiting relatives or a sick person, or advising one who has gone astray, or earning a living so that he can spend on his dependents and save them from having to ask of people. 
‘Umar ibn al-Khattaab (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: 
I would hate to see any one of you idle and not doing anything to help himself in this world or in the Hereafter.
Quoted by Abu ‘Ubayd al-Qaasim ibn Sallaam in al-Amthaal (48).
The Muslim has no time to listen to or look at sinful things. You know that these conversations include things that go against sharee’ah such as immoral talk and bad attitudes, so is entering these foul swamps something that will benefit a Muslim, or is it anything that he should seek in his life?
 It was narrated that Abu Hurayrah said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Strive to do that which will benefit you and seek the help of Allaah.” Narrated by Muslim (2664).
When Allaah asks you on the Day of Resurrection about this time that you wasted in idle talk and writing and conversing about things that are of no benefit, rather they will harm you, what will your answer be? It was narrated that Abu Barzah al-Aslami said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “A person’s feet will not move on the Day of Resurrection until he is asked about his life and how he spent it, his knowledge and what he did with it, and his wealth, how he acquired it and how he spent it, and his body (health), and how he used it.” Narrated by al-Tirmidhi (2417), classed as saheeh by Shaykh al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Targheeb wa’l-Tarheeb (126).
Finally, you should note:
That these chat rooms have corrupted the morals of many people; they have caused rifts between loved ones, men have divorced their wives because of them, women have lost their honour because of them, and those who are weak in faith and lacking in knowledge have been deceived by the specious arguments and myths in them, and have thus been misled. If the Muslim hears of an environment that is filled with fitnah and sin, he should denounce the people involved and strive to set them straight – if he is one of those who are able for that – otherwise he should keep away from such environments and not be deceived by thinking that his faith is strong or that he knows what they really are, and that he is just having fun.
Beware of indulging in chat rooms on the internet, and protect yourself from the immorality and evil that is in them, for they are gatherings that bring little benefit but cause a great deal of harm; they are of no benefit in this world and do not bring salvation in the Hereafter.
If you find that you are getting drawn into fitnah and sin, such as speaking to women unnecessarily and speaking too much to this one and that one, then you should realize that you are in grave danger, and we hope that you will save yourself from it and resist falling into the trap of the shaytaan.
We have discussed the danger of chat rooms in many answers on this site, such as 34841 and 78375.

And Allah knows best......[/
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: