Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: The failure to attain perception is itself perception. -Abu Bakr (RA)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: why do women inherit 1/2 as much as men?  (Read 1221 times)
lucid
Bro

Reputation Power: 15
lucid has no influence :(

« on: May 25, 2010 08:14 AM »

assalamualaikum

how many people have the same problem -- a mental uncle trying to wrest control of his father's house from his mother once his father has died?

my grandfather died a few years ago and willed the house to my grandmother.  my uncle, using islamic law -- that boys get twice as much as girls, is trying to take control from my grandmother. my grandmother refuses to let him live in the house because he is a troublemaker along with his wife, and she cannot deal with their crap. he wants to move in, take control and turn it into a block of apartments by giving it to a property developer and receive all the rent.  he is a very, very bad person.

he threatened to beat the crap out of me recently because my mother supports my grandmother and thus he cannot wrest control by force.

can somebody PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE  explain to me using common sense why boys get twice as much as girls?  and please don't give me the generic vanilla excuse that boys have to provide for their families so they need more wealth. women traditionally don't earn money; their only wealth while they are still in the prime in their lives  comes from their parents.

as far as i have seen, this is a generic problem. wayward loser sons who haven't made Jack with their lives threatening their mothers because their mothers are sitting on valuable property.

jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 279
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010 12:17 PM »

wsalam,

lol vanilla excuse? but it is true fathers/brothers do have to provide for their daughters and siblings. a woman in islam technically has to pay for nothing. if she is married, her husband pays for her, if she's at home her father or a brother/son. if alone/widow the Islamic state should support her. any wealth a woman earns or inherits is hers alone and she is free to do whatever she wants with it.

this "half rule" does NOT apply to all cases. there are many cases where a woman ends up getting MORE than the man. the half rule comes into play when it's straight children no one else inherits and split among full brothers and sisters. this also does not include the 1/3 that is up to the discretion of the person who died's will.

the thing also to remember is that before Islam came and established this rule women got NOTHING. aka ZERO they themselves were property and were inherited at the leisure of men. also up until the 18th? century women's wealth became the property of their husbands it was never hers. islam made the rules of inheritance very clear and proportioned it accordingly so people didn't fight over it. everything is laid out, while also giving people some discretion 1/3 in the rest.

the thing is the rules are perfect and good, if ppl like the uncle u mention in ur story abuse that, it doesn't make the rules bad, it's him that is abusing the rules....u know what i mean...
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010 12:27 PM »

salam

Hang on doesn't shariah kick in only if a person dies intestate, if your grandfather left the house to his wife, his son has no leg to stand on does he?

Logically it is sensible, men are meant to provide for the women of the household, who altho in receipt of a lesser portion of the estate are not compelled to spend it in any way and can bury it in the back garden if they wish, the men of the household are expected to spend on the women and care for them.

However as you so rightly point out, people (quite a lot of people especially where money is concerened), will only demand Allah's law up till the point where they get the lionshare of the inheritance, thereafter they dont pay much attention.

Are you in bangladesh, I'd find inventive ways to ensure my uncle never ever approached me or mine ever again without peeing himself in fear (I so would).

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: