// Haram/Halal Food
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: Constantly choosing the lesser of two evils is still choosing evil. - Jerry Garcia
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Haram/Halal Food  (Read 2301 times)
Christine_1208
Sis

Reputation Power: 1
Christine_1208 has no influence :(

« on: Jun 16, 2010 08:53 PM »

Not sure where to put this, but as I was eating my DORITOS, I stumbled on an article saying the were HARAM! This was confirmed by Frito-lay, when I called myself. I was wondering if we have a list of foods on this site that we can add foods we come across that are Haram. I am finding out more and more, there is almost nothing here without pork in it. With no marking on the bag besides a Kosher symbol I am pretty lost. Sad  Can we start a list and pin it to help new muslim or muslims that were not aware? Thanks guys, just thought it might help.

I believe in Islam like the sun rising, not because I see it but because by it, I see everything else.
se7en
Sis

Reputation Power: 11
se7en has no influence :(

« Reply #1 on: Jun 17, 2010 06:41 AM »

as salaamu alaykum,

Shaykh Yasir Qadhi wrote a pretty detailed article about the Doritos issue, check it out here :
http://muslimmatters.org/2007/07/09/of-mice-and-men-the-cheese-factor/

salaam,
7 Smiley
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #2 on: Jun 17, 2010 11:01 PM »

salam

Doritos used to have animal rennet in them here too, as did a lot of cheese flavoured crisps, and then the vegetarian lobbies went nuts, so now all the doritos and most of the Walkers cheese crisps are suitable for vegetarians ergo Muslims.

The thought of eating animal rennet does not sit well with me, porcine rennet makes me even more queasy...don't you guys have vociferous crisps loving vegetarians over there?

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
Christine_1208
Sis

« Reply #3 on: Jun 17, 2010 11:14 PM »

No Sad But if they did it there, they can do it here.. I am calling them back...lol

Actually it is so sick some of the things they use. I have seen on some sites ppl saying that shaving gel has pork in it.. I understand that, but I am not eating it.. so why is it haram??? So many items here have it, I am so nervous eating.

My husband got some food from the Masjid's food bank yesterday. I ended up throwing some of it out because it had pork by-product in it. I plan on telling the Imam, they need to be careful. I am sure many muslims might trust it, because it is from the Masjid. Maybe the Imam does not know.

I believe in Islam like the sun rising, not because I see it but because by it, I see everything else.
crazybuoy
« Reply #4 on: Jul 16, 2010 07:45 AM »

Hiram is not allowed in Islam.
JustOne
Sis

Reputation Power: 17
JustOne has no influence :(

« Reply #5 on: Jul 16, 2010 11:30 AM »

Btw, oreos are not halaal either (it's on their website)...

And for all you British people... I'd like to plug my friend:

http://www.serioussausage.co.uk/ramadan-halal-sausages.html

Fozia
Sis

Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #6 on: Jul 16, 2010 08:19 PM »

salam

Oreos in the UK, don't have animal fat in them, I think the US version has pork fat in the cream filling, well according to wiki it does, the english version doesn't.

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
Abdullah (*
Bro

Reputation Power: 0
Abdullah (* has no influence :(

« Reply #7 on: Jul 16, 2010 10:03 PM »

That's crazy! Doritos AND Oreos. Sigh. It hurt so bad when i found out marshmallows were haram. Therefore all my favorite cereals with marshmallows in it (MY SWEET LUCKY CHARMS!) are haram. Also the frosting on pop tarts have gelatin in them.

Then Which Of The Favors Of Your Lord Will You Deny?
Christine_1208
Sis

« Reply #8 on: Jul 16, 2010 11:45 PM »

Abdullah. I feel your pain. Try taking lucky charms of 2 kids.... UGGH. Why in the USA do they use PORK in everything! OMG! So frustrating.

It drives Walaa crazy..lol He said in egypt you don't have to worry about this, now we read labels like hawks. At the end I say Bismillah, because I know I have missed some things.

rahma
Sis

Reputation Power: 73
rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)

« Reply #9 on: Jul 17, 2010 04:41 AM »

Btw, oreos are not halaal either (it's on their website)...

Huh? Huh? Huh?

I've been buying oreos since they went kosher (they have the little kosher mark on them).  I went to their website, and there is nothing about them being not halaal.  I read the list of ingredients, and there is no pork in them (if there was, there couldn't be a kosher mark).

(Actually, I'm more concerned about the corn syrup...)

JustOne
Sis

« Reply #10 on: Jul 17, 2010 11:04 AM »

My mistake... this is probably just the EU distributor:

http://www.oreo.eu/oreo/page?siteid=oreo-prd&locale=uken1&PagecRef=633#ans11
Fozia
Sis

« Reply #11 on: Jul 17, 2010 05:54 PM »

salam

The sheer fact that Oreos are not suitable for vegetarians indicates to me they contain animal fat but in such a quantity that they are not required to list it.

Mind you I don't like kraft foods full stop. They of the cardboard cheese slices who took over cadburys & immediately closed down several factories they promised they wouldn't.

Wassalaam

JustOne
Sis

« Reply #12 on: Jul 18, 2010 08:19 AM »

I know... I'm not an Oreo fan either. Or that plasticky cheese...

And we don't get the regular flavored Doritos in Saudi - I think it's an indication that they aren't halaal. They sell the cool ranch ones (and one other flavor), but not the regular ones. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: